Sponsored by:

Battery Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Battery Protection

What is the purpose of the battery protection option for $100? Also, what is a battery tender? I am new to this and don't understand the concept or value here.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Yes it is a tender.

Save your $$ and get one off Amazon for a LOT less. There are a couple of other threads about this
Old 11-23-2013, 02:48 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Yes it is a tender.

Save your $$ and get one off Amazon for a LOT less. There are a couple of other threads about this
ok, I plan on driving mine a lot so not sure if i need one or not. From what i read, it sounds like it is needed only when you stow it away for long periods of time. When do you need to use one.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I have a Black & Decker tender I got at Home Depot for $20, but I don't use it that much because I drive my car regularly.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:59 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by bevo_87
ok, I plan on driving mine a lot so not sure if i need one or not. From what i read, it sounds like it is needed only when you stow it away for long periods of time. When do you need to use one.
Generally if you park it for two weeks or more.

But it does help to plug it in even overnight. It will help condition the battery with a low amp charge. The battery will last a lot longer.

With that said, get one from Amazon. A lot cheaper and works just as good. It just won't have the Corvette flags on it.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

I ordered one and it came with car. They are a type of tender, trickle charger, etc. this model is a little different as it has a single plug like a cig lighter that plugs into the rear hatch area then into a standard AC outlet. I believe you can close the hatch around the cord? Correct me if I am wrong
Old 11-23-2013, 03:03 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 410 Posts

Most modern cars can sit idle for about a month before the battery drains from background current draw. That can be be significantly less in cold weather.

If you intend to store your car for more than two or three weeks, and you live in a colder climate, it would be prudent to have your car hooked up to some sort of trickle charger so the battery stays charged.

I've used a CTEK 3300 for many years, and on different vehicles, with no problems at all. There are other brands out there that do the same thing, and all are very good at what they do.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bevo_87
With my C6, if it wasn't going to be driven for a week or more, I'd throw the tender on it. I probably didn't really need to for periods as short as a week but I figured it was cheap insurance.

There's not yet a track record with the C7 so we'll have to wait a while to see how long it can sit without needing a tender, yes?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bobbykart
I ordered one and it came with car. They are a type of tender, trickle charger, etc. this model is a little different as it has a single plug like a cig lighter that plugs into the rear hatch area then into a standard AC outlet. I believe you can close the hatch around the cord? Correct me if I am wrong
No big whoop to put a cig plug on the end of a pair of wires
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I ordered this option. Mine will be stored in my garage for 6 months a year in the cold. How does it work? You have to plug it in or something? Do you still have to periodically start your car?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Agent White
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14

I've had 5 Vettes and never needed to charge one. Of course, I use them.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by speedlink
Generally if you park it for two weeks or more.

But it does help to plug it in even overnight. It will help condition the battery with a low amp charge. The battery will last a lot longer.

With that said, get one from Amazon. A lot cheaper and works just as good. It just won't have the Corvette flags on it.
That is what I did with my '05 C6 and the battery never let me down with just over 6 1/2 years ownership. I am doing the same with my C7. I just never know when I will be driving it, sometimes every day then sometimes not for a week or more. Even less as winter road conditions and temperatures drop. I'm already in a rhythm using it even placing a "CHARGING" sign under the wipers so not to forget it.

C7 Corvette logo CTEK charger is pricey but being included in the MSRP my negotiated deal more than made up for its price. Also being on the window sticker it is covered under GM warranty unless I'm mistaken.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 PM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I ordered this option. Mine will be stored in my garage for 6 months a year in the cold. How does it work? You have to plug it in or something? Do you still have to periodically start your car?
Just plug it in to the recepticle on the passenger side in the rear. You don't have to do anything just unplug when you are ready to move your car. I had a dead battery in my first Corvette so I bought the battery tender. Four Corvettes later and I have never had a dead battery. I have my car plugged in to the battery tender every time I park it in the garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Protection

Quick Reply: Battery Protection