Remote Battery Connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:49 AM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Battery Connection

I've searched the forum and looked in the manual and under the hood and have not been able to find a remote battery connection intended for charging or jump starting. Am I missing something? I can see some red battery lines coming into or near the Engine Compartment Fuse Block, but the access is really tight and does not appear to be designed for those uses.

I've got a Battery Tender Plus that I've used on the C6 and my other cars, but it does not have the adapter for the rear Accessory Power Outlet. So before I order it and an extension, I just want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

What type of battery does the C7 have?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

MoabC6 I noticed your thread while trolling this morning. I have a ctek multi US4.3 charger which is the latest model. I bought the cigarette charging cable for $11.99 and the 8 ft. extension cable for $9.99. I am sure Battery tenders prices can't be much different.
I hooked up the wives C6 to her battery tender and it was hard to find the negative post as recommended by GM. Not well marked. Not well designed at all. Do yourself a favor and get the ciragette plug and extension cord and avoid going under the hood. Since your battery is in the rear under the carpet, it only makes sense to plug into the cigarette outlet.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Owner's manual 10-30
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it's been determined that it doesn't actually exist.

See this thread.

UPDATE: It's been found - see this post.

Last edited by -CM-; 11-22-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks -CM- yours was helpful. My searches didn't use those terms in that post.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

The positive cable is very difficult to get at. I've not tried to move the fuse box yet but maybe there's a way to add some kind of extension. It does not have to be very large to hook up a Battery Tender.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by green2000
The positive cable is very difficult to get at. I've not tried to move the fuse box yet but maybe there's a way to add some kind of extension. It does not have to be very large to hook up a Battery Tender.
I went ahead and ordered the battery tender extension and accessory plug adapter anyway, at least I can hook it up that way for now.

I am not thrilled at all with the idea of closing the hatch on the 12 volt cord. Not so much worried about the cord as the rubber seal. Left all winter, I cannot imagine it would not put a memory dent in the rubber. Last thing I want is to introduce a wind whistle back there. And I don't want to leave the hatch it just resting on the lock and have a way for garage critters to find a way in.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I got the GM battery tender and also am not comfortable about closing the hatch on the cord for the same reason. My car is covered in the garage and I'm hoping the dryer sheets I always use will be sufficient to keep the critters out.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jump starting w/ cables

How about jump starting the vehicle with cables?…….Location?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by romaja
How about jump starting the vehicle with cables?…….Location?
Right rear, where the battery is located. Pull back carpet, access battery. PIA, but saves the weight of the cable to under hood. It all adds up.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoabC7
Right rear, where the battery is located. Pull back carpet, access battery. PIA, but saves the weight of the cable to under hood. It all adds up.
Got it! Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

This might work well except my carpet is trapped under the fender well cover and a tow truck driver won't take the care not to lean on your car when he tries to jump start it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by green2000
This might work well except my carpet is trapped under the fender well cover and a tow truck driver won't take the care not to lean on your car when he tries to jump start it.
You are probably SOL. Don't see any other choice. I was surprised to see how much carpet had to be pulled up to gain access to the battery. Mine is under wheel well cover as well. Just a PIA. Might consider either carrying a large soft towel to lay over the rear or get the GM rear protection cover product.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went ahead and ordered the battery tender extension and accessory plug adapter anyway, at least I can hook it up that way for now.

I am not thrilled at all with the idea of closing the hatch on the 12 volt cord. Not so much worried about the cord as the rubber seal. Left all winter, I cannot imagine it would not put a memory dent in the rubber. Last thing I want is to introduce a wind whistle back there. And I don't want to leave the hatch it just resting on the lock and have a way for garage critters to find a way in.
Closing the hatch over the battery tender cable is no big deal. I've done it 3 times already. The secret is to let the red/black wires from the battery tender be the ones (there very skinny) that the hatch closes on. When you do that, the play through the hatch is enough to move the wires back and forth very easily so there's no crimping at all. Totally safe and fine....

Get notified of new replies

To Remote Battery Connection

Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a good place to hook up your battery tender or where the jumper cables should go in the engine compartment.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...post1585478599

Post #30
Old 11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
montanacowboy
Advanced

I run the wire out the window....down just enough....and wrap cord with soft cloth.....works like a charm.......anyway

Quick Reply: Remote Battery Connection