Sponsored by:

Corvette c7 stingray: Driven

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Corvette c7 stingray: Driven

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=28875
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting article... and based on the details in the written body, not the pics, it looks like he test drove a base automatic (no Z51, no NPP) but was really wishing instead he was provided one with all the bells & whistles. Some excerpts from the author:

"And then GM delivered one with an automatic transmission. Way to poop the party, Mr General. Or maybe they just heard I couldn't, how do you say it, shift stick? This did at least give me the chance to confirm that you should only order an automatic Corvette if you cannot operate a clutch pedal.

And this is base Corvette, a car with 455hp and 460lb ft in standard US spec. Even with the silly slushbox, it's very, very fast on the road. The brakes are a touch over-sensitive and perfectly good for road use, but as we'll discuss in a minute, they weren't so good on track.

On the track this base version with its blipping auto 'box didn't show quite as well. The brakes couldn't handle much sustained lapping, and whereas I'd been happy with the electronic dampers set to Touring on the road, the Track setting was too stiff even for the flat turns of Chuckwalla circuit. In Sport matters were better.

You have to be patient with the C7. Get greedy with entry speed and it will either plough forward or want to rotate quite alarmingly when you back-off the throttle. When you find the sweet spot - and it's quite narrow- the 'vette is fast and rewarding. It'll oversteer on demand, but it can be hard to bring the car back into a straight line smoothly. Traction is okay, nothing more. And whereas the rear axle feels much more sophisticated on the road, this base version with a normal locking diff (the Z51 pack standard in Europe has an active locking unit) can feel a little loose at the rear when you push hard. Like the bushings are all a bit too compliant. I suppose it is a road car."
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
Interesting article... and based on the details in the written body, not the pics, it looks like he test drove a base automatic (no Z51, no NPP) but was really wishing instead he was provided one with all the bells & whistles. Some excerpts from the author:

"And then GM delivered one with an automatic transmission. Way to poop the party, Mr General. Or maybe they just heard I couldn't, how do you say it, shift stick? This did at least give me the chance to confirm that you should only order an automatic Corvette if you cannot operate a clutch pedal.

And this is base Corvette, a car with 455hp and 460lb ft in standard US spec. Even with the silly slushbox, it's very, very fast on the road. The brakes are a touch over-sensitive and perfectly good for road use, but as we'll discuss in a minute, they weren't so good on track.

On the track this base version with its blipping auto 'box didn't show quite as well. The brakes couldn't handle much sustained lapping, and whereas I'd been happy with the electronic dampers set to Touring on the road, the Track setting was too stiff even for the flat turns of Chuckwalla circuit. In Sport matters were better.

You have to be patient with the C7. Get greedy with entry speed and it will either plough forward or want to rotate quite alarmingly when you back-off the throttle. When you find the sweet spot - and it's quite narrow- the 'vette is fast and rewarding. It'll oversteer on demand, but it can be hard to bring the car back into a straight line smoothly. Traction is okay, nothing more. And whereas the rear axle feels much more sophisticated on the road, this base version with a normal locking diff (the Z51 pack standard in Europe has an active locking unit) can feel a little loose at the rear when you push hard. Like the bushings are all a bit too compliant. I suppose it is a road car."
These two bolded statements seem to contradict one another.

The first bolded statement implies that the car has MSRC, which is only available with the Z51 package (at least in the US). Without MSRC, there are no "electronic dampers" and they don't change with the Driver Mode and would just be fixed dampers.

The second bolded statement implies that it has the standard LSD without the variable lock.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
These two bolded statements seem to contradict one another.

The first bolded statement implies that the car has MSRC, which is only available with the Z51 package (at least in the US). Without MSRC, there are no "electronic dampers" and they don't change with the Driver Mode and would just be fixed dampers.

The second bolded statement implies that it has the standard LSD without the variable lock.
Yeah who knows, maybe he previously drove a Z51+ MSRC unit... or could be his interpretation or terminology. I think for this review, he tested a standard automatic coupe.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

A poorly written article. Guys all over the place. Another hack.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Greg Quillen
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Said steering was too soft. I dont think he check the settings to see if it was in auto selet or stuck in a mode like touring.
Brakes couldnt handle sustained lapping because they didnt put on the cooling rings I am sure.
GM designed holes on the rotor hat so the brakes can hold heat for the road to stop good on the street. Cooling rings are needed for the track. I am certain they were not on
Old 11-20-2013, 01:10 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6

The pics look like it's a Z51, but the text repeatedly implies it's not.

Rat
Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

While I agree he's confusing on the configuration of the car, he's no hack. Just look on youtube for "Chris Harris Drive," or check his name on google with the following terms:
F1
WRC
Nurburgring
McLaren 12C GT3

He's probably driven far more sports cars than just about anyone on these forums, and has actually competed in 24 hour races and rallies. Unlike some "hacks," he doesn't pull punches, having called out Ferrari for its paranoid media micromanagement (and receiving a consequent test ban from Maranello for speaking his mind).
Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 PM
335i
Instructor

Interesting article. It seems to me like perhaps he drive multiple cars (at least two). It sounds like he drove a Z51/MRC/NPP car on the road, and then a base car on the track, and perhaps a Z51 car on the track as well. But yeah, he should have been more clear about that.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Guibo
While I agree he's confusing on the configuration of the car, he's no hack.
He's an automotive journalist, I didn't see any mention of competition driving in his bio. Entering into it with the typical European "anything American is trash" attitude doesn't help:

"The Corvette is all about context - always has been. It is one of the worst automotive tourists in that it travels about as well as cheap Provencale wine. In the US, on smooth sunshine state roads, with cheap gasoline and a bargain sticker price, it's sometimes hard to imagine what more Chevrolet could offer for the money. On a wet, bumpy UK B-road, with a price adjusted for import, the 'vette has always been the preserve of the committed few. Or the few that need committing, depending on your viewpoint."

That being said, he was relatively complimentary, even though the review seemed rather shallow to me.

And honestly, the Brits need to get over this "I'd want to try one on a troublesome English B-road before writing a cheque" attitude. I've driven all over GB on routes that included mostly B-roads, and (thanks to early retirement) I've had the good fortune to drive on challenging and scenic roads all over America. Good grief, they act like every B-road is a the offspring of a WRC course and the Nürburgring. They're not.

As always, JMHO

Rat
Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CaptRat
He's an automotive journalist, I didn't see any mention of competition driving in his bio. Entering into it with the typical European "anything American is trash" attitude doesn't help:
"The Corvette is all about context - always has been. It is one of the worst automotive tourists in that it travels about as well as cheap Provencale wine. In the US, on smooth sunshine state roads, with cheap gasoline and a bargain sticker price, it's sometimes hard to imagine what more Chevrolet could offer for the money. On a wet, bumpy UK B-road, with a price adjusted for import, the 'vette has always been the preserve of the committed few. Or the few that need committing, depending on your viewpoint."
That being said, he was relatively complimentary, even though the review seemed rather shallow to me.
And honestly, the Brits need to get over this "I'd want to try one on a troublesome English B-road before writing a cheque" attitude. I've driven all over GB on routes that included mostly B-roads, and (thanks to early retirement) I've had the good fortune to drive on challenging and scenic roads all over America. Good grief, they act like every B-road is a the offspring of a WRC course and the Nürburgring. They're not.
As always, JMHO
Rat
He's a journalist, but he has raced in the 24 Hours of Nurburgring and done rallying at the local level. He placed 13th in the 2010 N24:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11005242...at-nurburgring

He placed 20th in 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_24...C3%BCrburgring

Some rally coverage:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/mo...-gb-class-lead

He's also done some of the VLN enduros leading up to the N24. You'd be hard pressed to find another journalist who's driven what he has. If he were a complete nobody, with no reach nor standing in the automotive world, would Ferrari had cared enough to ban him?

He was very complimentary about the C7 on many things. But his point about context makes sense. The ZR1, for example, was given rave road reviews in the US, but in the UK and Europe, there were harsher criticisms about its road manners. Just about all of the Brit mags (Evo, Car, Autocar) were highly complimentary of the Ford GT, which went on to win COTY, beating out Ferrari, Porsche, and BMW (whose 1-Series pretty much eliminated itself due to too harsh a ride, practically bouncing clean off the road), so it's not an "anything American is trash" attitude that they've adopted. They're looking for the traits that suit their style of driving more of the time. In the past, Audis (especially those with S Line sports suspension) have come under criticism for poor reviews in the UK, so it's not just an anti-American thing. (Audi not only now does chassis testing in the UK, but they've developed a modeling system designed around their roads, with the mentality that if it rides well there, it should ride well pretty much anywhere.)

As for it being a shallow test, that's probably what the follow up comparison is for.

Last edited by Guibo; 11-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:31 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

so it's not an "anything American is trash" attitude that they've adopted. They're looking for the traits that suit their style of driving more of the time.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. Throwing an occasional bone or gently slapping another marque doesn't make them even handed.

Again, JMHO

Rat
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

As always, JMHO

Rat
LOL... You write a good article yourself !
Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. Throwing an occasional bone or gently slapping another marque doesn't make them even handed.
Again, JMHO
Rat
Wait, are you saying the Ford GT didn't deserve the accolades it received in the UK? If so, this is the first I'm hearing of it. When multiple sources say something about how a car drives on those roads, there's probably some truth to it. At least one ZR1 owner, contributing to Corvette Magazine, noted similar criticisms.
Gently slapping another marque...That BMW finished in 9th place among the "affordable" group. That's six places behind the Roush Mustang, and beaten by the Subaru Forester STi. Pretty appalling, considering the 1-Series was touted as a return to BMW's driver-oriented roots after the 3-Series had bloated.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray

Much of that seems to contradict everything we've been hearing about the car to this point... although I guess most of the reviews I've seen thus far had Z51 at least, and often also MSRC.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

While I agree he's confusing on the configuration of the car, he's no hack. Just look on youtube for "Chris Harris Drive," or check his name on google with the following terms:
F1
WRC
Nurburgring
McLaren 12C GT3

He's probably driven far more sports cars than just about anyone on these forums, and has actually competed in 24 hour races and rallies. Unlike some "hacks," he doesn't pull punches, having called out Ferrari for its paranoid media micromanagement (and receiving a consequent test ban from Maranello for speaking his mind).
To reiterate, a poorly written article. He may be one of your buddies and maybe he knows how to drive, but he doesn't know how to write. Judging by this piece, should stick to something he's good at.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:50 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 335i
Interesting article. It seems to me like perhaps he drive multiple cars (at least two). It sounds like he drove a Z51/MRC/NPP car on the road, and then a base car on the track, and perhaps a Z51 car on the track as well. But yeah, he should have been more clear about that.
The pics show what looks to be a CG Z51 with rev match paddles, the write up is a non-Z51 A6, one of the first I've seen for that spec so its kind of interesting. By the looks of it all, he did a separate test comparing a Z51 to a 991 which he's going to let out of the bag later on and the pics are from that test. Hopefully he'll be a little more organized when letting us know how that went.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette c7 stingray: Driven

Old 11-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

To reiterate, a poorly written article. He may be one of your buddies and maybe he knows how to drive, but he doesn't know how to write. Judging by this piece, should stick to something he's good at.
Confusing perhaps, but hardly poorly written. He does describe what the car feels like at the limit, and will probably be doing so more in-depth in the follow up.
Not my buddy, and you don't need to qualify your sentence with "maybe he knows how to drive." He definitely knows how to drive and would run circles around you like crazy. You don't get asked by the Porsche factory to compete in the N24, nor do you get to drive an F1 car, nor do you get to drive Ford's works WRC rally car, nor do you get to drive the Nissan Deltawing, nor do you get asked by an F40 and F50 owner to wring out both cars if you only "maybe" know how to drive. You say he's a "hack," but you won't likely find a more accomplished "hack" who's driven more cars than he has.
What he's good at is describing how a car feels, how it behaves, and he's apparently been very good at it to be able to afford his toys (multiple Ferraris, Porsches, BMW M car here and there). People pay him to give drive impressions, on both sides of the Atlantic (edmunds, Evo, Autocar). People ask him to drive their megabuck cars to the limit to give an impression of what he thinks. Just because he doesn't gush with nothing but effusive praise for a car doesn't make him a hack. I suspect nobody has ever asked you to test drive their Ferrari F50 and F40...
Old 11-21-2013, 02:55 AM
lve2xlr8
Instructor

Confusing perhaps, but hardly poorly written. He does describe what the car feels like at the limit, and will probably be doing so more in-depth in the follow up.
Not my buddy, and you don't need to qualify your sentence with "maybe he knows how to drive." He definitely knows how to drive and would run circles around you like crazy. You don't get asked by the Porsche factory to compete in the N24, nor do you get to drive an F1 car, nor do you get to drive Ford's works WRC rally car, nor do you get to drive the Nissan Deltawing, nor do you get asked by an F40 and F50 owner to wring out both cars if you only "maybe" know how to drive. You say he's a "hack," but you won't likely find a more accomplished "hack" who's driven more cars than he has.
What he's good at is describing how a car feels, how it behaves, and he's apparently been very good at it to be able to afford his toys (multiple Ferraris, Porsches, BMW M car here and there). People pay him to give drive impressions, on both sides of the Atlantic (edmunds, Evo, Autocar). People ask him to drive their megabuck cars to the limit to give an impression of what he thinks. Just because he doesn't gush with nothing but effusive praise for a car doesn't make him a hack. I suspect nobody has ever asked you to test drive their Ferrari F50 and F40...
+1 the degrading can't be stopped unless they have nothing but praise for the Corvette.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

:thumbs I agree with your point:
Chris H is the real deal. The pictures and the article don't belong together. You can see the Porsche & the C7 Z51 being tested in the pictures (I am sure this is the future Article). That is what I am waiting for. All my Euro friends in the USA & Europe are on the fence about the C7 & think I am crazy moving from Porsche. If Chris & Top Gear UK speak well about the C7-Z51 it could be a game changer for GM that could help create more interest for the C7 overseas..

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-21-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette c7 stingray: Driven