Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM
Dklean2003
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you wheel and deal on a ordered C7 z51

Hello,

I have never bought a new car before.

I ordered a Convertible z51 in August so I should be one the first(hopefully) to get one.

So when the car comes in what do I do???

How can I get a discount??? Is there anyway??? If so what should I say? I would be happy with any discount. Or is there no way they will come off the price.

What are some strategies that anyone has? I mean when your buying a $70000 car, what's the big deal of saving $2000 or so. A lot I think. That's a house payment. That's car insurance. You know what I mean.

So if anyone can help me out let me know. I am sure some you guys out there no what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dean
Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems odd you wouldn't have settled on a sales price when you placed your order. Am I missing something?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Seems odd you wouldn't have settled on a sales price when you placed your order. Am I missing something?
Yup.

Shoulda done the deal BEFORE you ordered.

Good luck
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 958 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

respectfully, bone up on what you are doing by reading a ton on how to buy a car and get a friend who knows how, to go with you. Right now your head is a golf ball on the tee and the dealer has a Callaway driver waiting....
Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
respectfully, bone up on what you are doing by reading a ton on how to buy a car and get a friend who knows how, to go with you. Right now your head is a golf ball on the tee and the dealer has a Callaway driver waiting....
^
Now THAT'S Funny . . . . . FORE !!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be eligible for any offers / rebates chevy may be offering the day of delivery.... which, for the C7 Z51 will be a little while... for a Z51 convertable will be a long while.

so... unlikely
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have said, you should have worked out a price prior to ordering. Make sure you get this price in writing so they do not throw in a last second mark up.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
As others have said, you should have worked out a price prior to ordering. Make sure you get this price in writing so they do not throw in a last second mark up.
Not only that but if you have to ask the question, you probably don't have it in you
Old 11-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dklean2003
Hello,

I ordered a Convertible z51 in August so I should be one the first(hopefully) to get one.

How can I get a discount??? Is there anyway??? If so what should I say? I would be happy with any discount. Or is there no way they will come off the price.

What are some strategies that anyone has? I mean when your buying a $70000 car, what's the big deal of saving $2000 or so. A lot I think. That's a house payment. That's car insurance. You know what I mean.

So if anyone can help me out let me know. I am sure some you guys out there no what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Dean
Too late....You negotiate before you sign the contract....Not after....
Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dean you were nowhere near the 1st one to order a C-7 Z-51 convertible. I ordered mine in June, (and I'm at 3400) and I was also either the 28th or the 32nd convertible ordered from Kerbeck.
I agree with what everybody before me has told you. Any deals should have been made when you ordered the car. (And I seriously doubt that there will be any deals made on Z-51 convertibles any time in the near future!)
MeanDean
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM
bevo_87
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

something aint right about this thread... i am just going to sit back and watch this one....lol
Old 11-19-2013, 11:27 PM
MikeK
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Dean

Do you have a firm order with a price on it or do you just have a "deposit" down for an order when an allocation opens up and your "number" comes up? If the later, you will still have time to work out a deal, if not and an order has been entered and you have an order number you have a choice. Does your "deposit" stipulate it is refundable? You always have the right to reject the vehicle and possibly only lose your deposit. You need to thoroughly read whatever signed document you have with your dealer. You can always reorder at a later date.

I have a refundable deposit and my dealer advertises a "price guarantee" so that if these cars start selling at less than MSRP, my dealer will match the lowest advertised price. I expect to be able to order after the first of the year. BTW, they are a CF dealer.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Dean
I can't imagine ordering a car without first negotiating a price. Sounds very strange. If this story is true, the dealer must have been smiling when you left. If your deposit is refundable, you might have shot of at least getting it at MSRP, but don't expect better than that. Most likely one of the first verts will bring a premium so he'll be happy to let you walk away. You didn't lock him into a price so he's holding all the cards. You WANT the car, he HAS it. You're screwed.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:39 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Well, if there was no price agreement at the time of the order, everything is up in the air. Alot will depend on the market at the time of delivery. If the novelty has already worn off, and these things are taking up spaces on the lot, you have a good chance. But if, as I suspect will be the case, people are clamouring for the verts early on, it will tough to talk them down. As always, supply and demand will set the market price. You can always give them a reasonable offer as to what you are willing to pay, the question will be, how willing will you be to walk if they don't take it?
Old 11-20-2013, 12:40 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh boy....... Like some of you have said, see a terrible dealer
post coming.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Did you not get your price nailed down at the order time? You better hope for MSRP.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by bevo_87
something aint right about this thread... i am just going to sit back and watch this one....lol

I think this thread is "exhibit A" of why all phone calls and emails aren't returned by dealers. How in the world do you put a deposit down and order a $70,000+ car without first hammering out the price and have it in writing?

Hopefully the OP is dealing with an honest dealer or I can see a market adjustment going horribly wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you wheel and deal on a ordered C7 z51

Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people would assume you agreed on a price when you ordered the car. Is this the case or not?

If you did then do the right thing and live up to your end of the bargain. Pay the dealer the agreed upon price when the car is delivered.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

You need to do whatever is in your best interest, not the dealers, so....

If you do not have a contract that lists an exact price, call your dealer today and make sure that by the end of the call a specific price is agreed upon, then get it added to the contract in writing.

You probably won't get any better than MSRP.

What you want to avoid is the situation where they tell you they want over MSRP now or set a price when the car arrives. Take that possibility out of play NOW by adding a specific price to the contract.

If they want over MSRP tell them to refund any deposit you gave them immediately and you will be canceling your order with them and ordering from any one of a few dealers you KNOW are charging "only" MSRP. Tell them that ordering from them has no advantage and that other dealers can get you allocated so that your car is built around the same time as the vehicle you initially ordered from them.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 11-20-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:06 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

DK, did you actually order the car or did you just put down a deposit?

Any paperwork signed, like a buyer's order, that should show a price?

I agree that it's unusual and not best practice to be in your position. You also admit you are not experienced. If you have no buyer's order, you are not committed, but you may be haggling over a deposit. Dealer may figure that if you bow out he can sell the car out of his stock to someone else.

Quick Reply: How do you wheel and deal on a ordered C7 z51