With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity

That is why in most cases I like to just lease and turn it in for a new model at the end of the lease and get the newest upgraded technology. I own my 62 Vette, my 96 Vette and my 2010 Dodge truck but would like to lease the C-7 so I it will be easier to get a new car in a few years. I don't know how other people have dealt with selling their Vettes but I always wound up getting people that just wanted to drive a Vette and had no intention of buying, it was a big waste of time. When I told them I would take them for a ride and they could not drive the car they usually changed their mind.

Does anyone know when leases will be offered, hopefully it will be before the car arrives in Jan or Feb.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

You are correct sir.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

lease availability might just coincide with employee discount availability.....means demand has slowed to a pace where incentives are needed to justify keeping the plant running at capacity.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:13 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never leased a car but aren't they available through leasing companies?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Never leased a car but aren't they available through leasing companies?
I check with my dealer and my credit union and nothing is being offered. The problem with a lease is that they need time to calculate residuals. If the leasing company makes the wrong estimate of what the 2014 will be worth 3 years from now they can loose hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

yeah leasing isn't bad if you want a car that someone else picked out.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

here ya go.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...3-2lt-z51.html
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Yeah, where there is money to be made there are people there to make it.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by themonk
yeah leasing isn't bad if you want a car that someone else picked out.
That is not true, you can order a Corvette or almost any car with the color and options you want and lease it. It is hard for me to keep track of which Corvette I owned and what I leased but I am almost positive the 1990 Vette and the 93 Vette was a lease, I know I bought the 96 because I still own it and I am almost positive the 98 with museum deliver was a lease. I already order the C-7 and asked if there would be leases available when it arrive. He said he was not sure. The way I figure it if worst comes to worst I will buy the C-7if there is no lease available in a couple months from now.

I just happen to be very sure that 3 years form now I am going to want to get rid of this Vette and get a new one and leasing it will make it simple to just turn in the keys and get a new one.

========================================

The link that Greg00Coupe provided seems to confirm what I said, you can oder a car with the options you want and lease it.

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 11-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:04 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Yeah, where there is money to be made there are people there to make it.
Leasing is a very bad deal if you plan on buying the car at the end of the lease but for someone like myself that wants to get a new car every few years it works out well for me. If it does cost a little more to lease than it costs to buy then sell in three years the extra money I pay is worth not needing to go through the aggravation of selling a Vette. I have sold other cars but putting up a vette for sale seems to bring out all the crazy people. The call and tell you that are on the way but don't show up, or the ones that show up that are not there just to drive a Corvette insult you with a low offer.

Another problem is I do not see that many Corvettes in my area so I may have trouble finding a buyer for the old (2014) car 3 years from now when the time comes to get a new one.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I would love to lease a c7 if I can order the options too. If you find out who does this, please let us know.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:24 AM
drivestwin
Pro

2nd C7 delivered here in Fremont, NE was leased. The lady who leased it ordered it.

It is and can be done. $$$$
Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought about leasing cars a couple of times but seemed to
come out the same if I buy it. What would spend in lease
payment over the period came close to what would spend
basically after a trade in. Maybe if people can't afford to
buy the car and have to pay finance charges than could be
a game changer. ???? never been there so can't say
Old 11-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I went through a 10 year period buying a new Vehicle every 2-3 years.
In Dec 2006 I was interested in the 2007 Escalade EXT and went to trade in my 2004 EXT.
Unlike the years before this I was always able to trade in a 2-3 Year old vehicle and finance a little over 10k to get into the new vehicle.
But, the pricing structure from GM changed at that time ( New Model design etc ) and I was now expected to Finance 20K along with my Trade
The dealer offered a Lease ( with my Trade in ) on the 2007 EXT at only $400.00 a month and ZERO money down for 3 years 10,000 miles a Year.
I couldn't pass that up thinking in 3 years I'll Lease another New Vehicle.
What happened though is GM was taking a beating on leases by 2010 with the economy etc.
Now, at my Lease end, for me to get a New leased vehicle, they now wanted $1,100.00 a month with the new lease pricing structure
I bought out the vehicle I already had and moved on.
Money wise,. I would have been better off to buy the vehicle in the first place.
Bottom line, IMO, the worse thing about leasing is you have nothing at the end of the lease.
And your Insurance is higher because you Do Not Own the Vehicle so Mandatory Coverage is Higher !
Like turning in your rental after your trip
On the other hand, If someone has disposable Income, then Leasing is great for getting a new vehicle every 2-3 years.
My point is, when Lease pricing is good it's great, but if things tank between the beginning of your lease and the end....
then you either pay big just to Lease again, or have to buy out the vehicle you have, or, Finance/Buy a new vehicle at the Full cost of the vehicle out the door, Sales Taxes and all
I'd rather buy and have something to Trade or sell regardless of what I owe or spent to have the vehicle.
Just my 2 cents from my experience for what it's worth

Last edited by Dif; 11-16-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:30 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing but a depreciating asset.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:38 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

"With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity"

When you're ready to throw your C7 away, let me know - I'll haul it away.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
450hp mike9
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leasing biggest rip off on the planet.

Get notified of new replies

To With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity

Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by texvette2
Thought about leasing cars a couple of times but seemed to
come out the same if I buy it. What would spend in lease
payment over the period came close to what would spend
basically after a trade in. Maybe if people can't afford to
buy the car and have to pay finance charges than could be
a game changer. ???? never been there so can't say
I ordered the car knowing that I may have to buy it, the car is #70,000 and I was thinking of putting 1/2 down and maybe paying it all in cash. If a lease program is available when the car is ready to be delivered I would rather lease for the reasons I already mentioned.

Go to the dealer order your car and be prepared to buy it if a lease is not available. If you can get a lease the lease is based on the price you negotiated with your dealer
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by C6BOB
"With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity"

When you're ready to throw your C7 away, let me know - I'll haul it away.
Maybe depreciating asset would've been a better term but I consider it disposable with the definition of disposing it of it as in returning it to the dealer and having him take possession of the car so I can get a lease.

It is more expensive but it is a price I am willing to pay for convenience
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

On leasing...

Until 2011 I had never leased a car. I have always bought new from the time I could afford it in 1983. We one exception I kept all of the cars 6+ years. Cars generally have a "bathtub" curve of resale value, where the value drops quickly for the first 4 years, slower for the next 3-4 years, levels out and stays able the same if in good condition for the next 20-30 years, then if a classic starts to go back up again.

At 6-8 years plus, most extended warranties run out or get cost prohibitive; and most cars will start to need more repairs (regardless of mileage since rubber and plastic parts will dry out whether the car is driven or not.)

Without going into all of the math, you generally have to keep a car for 4-5 years plus to get to the point buying is better than leasing. The monthly cost of ownership can be lower in a lease if the residual and cost of money are favorable; and you want to be in a new car every 2-3 years.

Money experts will tell you if you want the lowest possible monthly cost of ownership, buy a good condition 3-4 year old used car and sell it at 6-8 years old.

All of that said, exceptions do occur. Look at electric cars right now. Because of various government and corporate incentives you can lease an electric car for a fraction of the cost to buy. I leased my $45,000 Volt (3 years, 45,000 miles) for $5,000 down and $386 per month. Being new technology I expected the price would come down which it has, and that the resale value would not be good. My economic model showed I would have to keep the volt for about 5 years to break even with the lease.

The Volt lease was such a great deal because the bank added the $7500 tax credit to the residual, the cost of money factor was near zero, and GM kicked in a hidden $2,000 rebate that was not available with a purchase. Now buying this car at end of lease would be a terrible deal since the contract residual includes the $7,500 tax credit, jacking up it up to much more than the car its worth.

I just compared the 36 month lease cost per month to what it would have been if I bought the car with $5000 down and a 3% loan for 36 months; and sold it at current market value in 36 months. The lease cost is $524 per month and the buy cost would have been $636 per month. With keeping the car for 36 months I save about $4,000 leasing over buying.

I will turn in the Volt in February 2014 and likely get a 2014 Spark EV on the $999 down, $199 per month lease.

What does this all mean?
Generally leasing is NOT a good deal unless you just have to have a new car every three years or there are factors that artificially make the lease cheap.

I have not checked, but I would expect the leasing terms for a Corvette would not bet incentivized and therefore not a good deal.

From the Chevrolet.com web site:
Lease
No current national or regional leasing is available for this vehicle configuration. Your local dealer has access to additional lease options.

Quick Reply: With some exceptions I consider most cars as a disposable commodity