Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem

Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Seems like its a continuing issue from the original problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette
Dealer called and say they have opened up a case with GM. They want to start by replacing the starter - which doesn't really make sense to me, but he says that is what GM wants to do first (said something like it is drawing amps from the battery and it shouldn't be??). I'm no tech so I have to rely on them (and what I learn from the Forum).

Again, the problem just happened when I was driving down the road and slowing down for a light. The RPMs just went to zero and it died.
GM's first guess could be correct.

Same thing happened to one of my vettes, was going about 45 and all of a sudden without any warning the car just died. Had to be towed and turned out it was the starter. Replaced the starter and never happened again. The starter suddenly started drawing so much power the battery and alternator were not able to keep it going.

Last edited by RJRSW; 11-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

electrical short or grounding problem?

relative had a truck do just what yours did. had just filled up with gas. assumed it had water in the gas. would start but then stop and then nothing. took it to a mechanic, who scratched his head for a day. then i suggested that they take a look at the wiring. turns out some wiring in the body had worn thru and would ground out. made the whole care appear to be dead.

i experienced similar after working on a car and replacing the grounding wire to the ecu. it was loose. i would drive down the road and it would sputter and die just like a bad fuel pump or out of gas. when i was stopped it would start. as soon as the car started to move and vibrate, the wire would loose touch intermittently with the ecu. since i knew i had just worked on this i rewired it and it fixed the issue. if i hadnt experienced this myself i would still be scratching my head.

if the ecu isnt 'energized' i suspect the whole car would be dead, just like the battery was dead. nothing, nada.. or some systems might work but some, like the starter would not catch at all.

Last edited by tolnep; 11-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Hope they get you going.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OP - there are always 'new model issues', and it would appear you caught a few. It is never fun dealing with them and I wish no one had to. Hopefully this is a small issue, unrelated to the prior one, and they will have your car repaired in record time.

Keep the faith. Negativity just brings us down further - dismiss any you get on here, as coming from folks who's prunes haven't provided them relief yet.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

I'll go with a clogged fuel line/filter - has all the symptoms.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Joe_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '15

I would ask the dealer to also check all the Major ground points in the car. Could be a ground was not tiight during the build process and is causing electrical issues. Even after replacing the starter ask them to check all the grounds, good basic trouble shooting. The dealers only want to look for codes and act based on the codes generated.
Need to get back to some basic problem determination and trouble shooting.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Oleman
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Just had the same or similar problem with my C6 Z, dying, not starting. Ended up with wiring harness not plugged in good and locked together at the Fuse Block. Ended up burning up Fuse Block as well as connectors and terminals all had to be replaced to correct. Took 3 trips to dealer with 5 days in shop to correct.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:01 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Has the OP tried to put gas in the car? Is it possible this gas gauge issue from before is misreading the amount of gas in the tank and it is empty? The symptoms would certainly follow that notion.
but how can he get it from light to light if there's no gas in it?

Fuel pump perhaps?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like the solenoid welded the tips when the bat was going away. A new starter will certainly fix that and so would a good hit with a hammer sometimes. Sounds like the fuel delivery to me is the start of it all. Most of what has been mentioned above!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the speculation can stop. I just heard from dealer - worst news possible - they need to replace the engine. I am devastated.

Apparently they have been talking with GM and it has something to do with when the fuel sending unit was replaced. Because the driveline had to be removed to do that, upon reassembly the torque rod (or torque stick) needs to be aligned and/or torqued perfectly, otherwise it causes a problem with the thrush washer which apparently can then disintegrate and cause the crankshaft to have too much movement or something along those lines. At the end of the day all I know is that they need to replace my engine. I truly cannot believe this.

(I also spoke with the owner of a C7 in Colorado who also had his fuel sending unit replaced and then his car died - - he as been told the same thing - a new engine is required. This is unbelievable to me).
Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,371 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Well, the speculation can stop. I just heard from dealer - worst news possible - they need to replace the engine. I am devastated.

Apparently they have been talking with GM and it has something to do with when the fuel sending unit was replaced. Because the driveline had to be removed to do that, upon reassembly the torque rod (or torque stick) needs to be aligned and/or torqued perfectly, otherwise it causes a problem with the thrush washer which apparently can then disintegrate and cause the crankshaft to have too much movement or something along those lines. At the end of the day all I know is that they need to replace my engine. I truly cannot believe this.

(I also spoke with the owner of a C7 in Colorado who also had his fuel sending unit replaced and then his car died - - he as been told the same thing - a new engine is required. This is unbelievable to me).
WOW, that is about as bad an outcome that there could be, and one that most would not even consider.

Sorry to hear the news. Good luck, hopefully it will be on the road again soon.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:16 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

At least you don't have to pay for it
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torque tube perhaps?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Wow, sorry for your trouble!

Would they consider giving you a new car?

I don't think I would be happy with a new engine so early. How many miles do you have on it? If I remember, not very many at all.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Any estimate on when you can get your Vette back?
Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

Oh man! That is bad news!

Hope the replacement goes quick and flawlessly.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
At least you don't have to pay for it
He already paid for it.

To the OP ... good luck and hope you wind up with a perfect and trouble free car when this is all over. You desereve nothing less.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hard for me to believe too, but could be possible.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would make me vomit. Then I would try and get my money back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem