Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa

^ Nice car
Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Br0
Instructor

If OP already had a problem with the fuel sending unit, my money is def on fuel delivery.

The only thing holding me back is OP stated low voltage like crank attempt. I just highly doubt he power supply problems right after having fuel delivery problems on a brand new car.

But weirder things have happened.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM
VIN666
Pro

If he tried to crank it for along enough, he may have drained the Battery. Doesn't take that much...
Old 11-14-2013, 03:28 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN666
If he tried to crank it for along enough, he may have drained the Battery. Doesn't take that much...
That's what I mentioned in #19 above.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a similar problem on my Panamera4S last year. A few times it sputtered and died on me. The first time I was pulling into a parking garage, and it died in the parking spot. If I tried to start it it just sputtered and died. I said F it, went in to eat, and when I came out a few hours later it started right up. The 2nd time I was in rush hour traffic and it died at a light. Same thing when I tried to start it. After about 1 minutes it started and ran fine. Took it to the dealer and I believe they replaced a faulty injector.

Good luck with it.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette
Sorry to report that I've now experienced my second major problem wiht my C7. My car is an early VIN (low 300s) and first problem was a bad fuel sending unit which had to be replaced with only 40 miles on the car and took 5 days.

This morning on way to work (670 miles on car) it just dies when coming to a stop. The RPMs just dropped down to zero and it died. Put it in park and started it again (although it didn't want to start). Did same thing at next stop light. Again, it didn't want to re-start, but it did. So I figured I would try to limp home, trying to keep the RPM up when slowing (mine is an automatic) by putting in neutral. Needless to say I didn't make it home and it died in the middle of the road and would not start. Had to get it towed to a local dealer and there it sits for now. We will see what they say.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. I started loooking thru the issues thread, but there are so many pages now I figured I would try a separate post. Many thanks for your time.
Tell your dealer to check the crankshaft position sensor.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Fordracer9
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...r-failure.html
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordracer9
There is no update there. Anyone know what it turned out being?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump quit.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
^ Nice car
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
There is no update there. Anyone know what it turned out being?
Ok, I looked at the referenced post and that seems scary. Sounds like he also had the fuel sending unit replaced and then had a problem similar to mine today. I sent him a private message asking if he might have any more information.

I wish I could have taken the car back to the dealer who replaced the fuel sending unit, but they are 60-70 miles away (I went to them b/c they are supposed to have great service and I was treated very well). Because I had to get the car towed today, it just went to the local dealer. I've suggested the two talk, but we will see.

Thanks for all the info!! Keep it coming.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Years ago I had a relatively new SUV and had exactly the same thing happen to me. It just stopped and yet looked like it had about a quarter tank of gas. I had noticed that the gauge seemed out of place a time or two before so I got a gas can and put about 3 gallons in it. Started and ran fine. Fortunately, it was under warranty and they ended up replacing the whole tank, which had the fuel sensor inside of it. Just a thought...
Had a SUV that would die if the fuel gauge was not
kept at 1/2a tank or more. Even if set on cruise going down the
interstate. Was hard to crank after but usually started. Have
no idea what the problem was since just traded it in.

Day traded didn't want to leave too much gas in the vehicle.
It die at 1/2 but started. Too go 25 miles it used a 1/4 of a
tank. Started to die again in front of the dealership but had enough
forward speed to coast into the lot and Park. Was so glad to
rid of that thing.

When I did fill at a half, it took what would be expected in
gallons. It really sucked that fuel. How is your
mileage

Last edited by texvette2; 11-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Ok, I looked at the referenced post and that seems scary. Sounds like he also had the fuel sending unit replaced and then had a problem similar to mine today. I sent him a private message asking if he might have any more information.

I wish I could have taken the car back to the dealer who replaced the fuel sending unit, but they are 60-70 miles away (I went to them b/c they are supposed to have great service and I was treated very well). Because I had to get the car towed today, it just went to the local dealer. I've suggested the two talk, but we will see.

Thanks for all the info!! Keep it coming.
I am so sorry that you are experiencing another concern with your Stingray!

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out. If you would like me to get a case started for you, I would be more than happy to.

Please PM, or I can monitor your thread for updates.

Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
I am so sorry that you are experiencing another concern with your Stingray!

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out. If you would like me to get a case started for you, I would be more than happy to.

Please PM, or I can monitor your thread for updates.

Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Kelly:

I appreciate the offer, and would welcome any help you are able to provide. Last time I PM'd you with all the applicable info and never heard anything back until after the car had already been returned (asking what was the status – so I presume you never got involved with the dealer or anything). I will send you another PM with the info again and if you can do anything to help in the process it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Dealer called and say they have opened up a case with GM. They want to start by replacing the starter - which doesn't really make sense to me, but he says that is what GM wants to do first (said something like it is drawing amps from the battery and it shouldn't be??). I'm no tech so I have to rely on them (and what I learn from the Forum).

Again, the problem just happened when I was driving down the road and slowing down for a light. The RPMs just went to zero and it died. Got it started twice after that (barely) but then it wouldn't even come close to turning over.

How embarassing have a brand new car that everyone wants to ask about and having to tell them it's in the shop again - - and then you get the cracks about Chevy quality. I still love the car and the brand, but boy do things like this take the wind out of your sails.

Always appreciate any info and insight from Forum members. Keep it coming. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by VIN666
Originally Posted by speedlink
That's what I mentioned in #19 above.
But OP worded it something like "when I tried a re-start each time...", that came off to me as when he first started attempting to turn over it seemed like low voltage, i guess i misinterpreted? I would assume repeated restarts resulting in a healthy crank sound gradually getting worse each try would be understood by OP that he was killing the battery trying to start it over and over.

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Tell your dealer to check the crankshaft position sensor.
Typically a possibility given the symptoms, but we could start adding all kinds of things to the list like MAF, fuel filter, injectors, etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Same thing happened to my C5 Z06 when basically brand new. If memory serves it was my alternator that died causing the car to lose power and shut down on the highway. See experiential vs assuming he did something wrong.

I vote Alternator and or Fuel Pump Inlet Sox Restricted or off.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem

Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think we're all just guessing based on what we know or have experienced. The key is to hope your dealer has a savvy and knowledgeable tech working on it in concert with the GM tech folks.

They are making a recommendation to change out the starter, allegedly because they conferred w. GM.

You, and they will see if that works. If it doesn't, so much for their diagnostic skills.

Good luck and I hope there is no Problem #3.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealer called and say they have opened up a case with GM. They want to start by replacing the starter - which doesn't really make sense to me, but he says that is what GM wants to do first (said something like it is drawing amps from the battery and it shouldn't be??). I'm no tech so I have to rely on them (and what I learn from the Forum).

Again, the problem just happened when I was driving down the road and slowing down for a light. The RPMs just went to zero and it died. Got it started twice after that (barely) but then it wouldn't even come close to turning over.

How embarassing have a brand new car that everyone wants to ask about and having to tell them it's in the shop again - - and then you get the cracks about Chevy quality. I still love the car and the brand, but boy do things like this take the wind out of your sails.

Always appreciate any info and insight from Forum members. Keep it coming. Thanks.
And then you come here for a little support and relief and have to listen to the same old BS
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Golly, this one's a head scratcher. Let the parts hanging begin. I hope your new C7 is back on the road in no time.

(And yes, I also know about the 'Chevy is junk' wise cracks.)

Quick Reply: C7 dies in middle of road - 2nd major problem