Sponsored by:

CA Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Default CA Emissions

Anyone able to say for certain what the difference is between CA emissions cars and ones that don't have the CA cert?

I'm wondering what it would take to get a no CA car into CA and registered.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

As of 2012 with the C6 if it doesn't have the CA sticker, you will have problems. There are a ton of threads in the C6 section here about it you can find with a search.

Remember that New Vs. Used is different and used cars need a certain mileage before they can be brought into the state and registered, I think it was 7,500 miles.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Wrong. The C7 has a 50 state emissions certification. I bought mine in ohio and registered in ca with 8 miles on it.

1. CA wants it smogged. I paid 30 for smog at a car wash in Pasadena.
2. There is a waiver from state being bought from that you sign showing it should be taken out of state.
3. CA wants the title in the dmv hands before the plates are issued.
4. Pay the 8.25 tax!

Thats it.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
As of 2012 with the C6 if it doesn't have the CA sticker, you will have problems. There are a ton of threads in the C6 section here about it you can find with a search.

Remember that New Vs. Used is different and used cars need a certain mileage before they can be brought into the state and registered, I think it was 7,500 miles.

Good luck.
And since I bought my C7 from Criswell in MD which had CA emissions already ordered, I still need a smog cert which is F*king crazy on a brand new car. CA DMV will not register the car until I get this done which will be sometime in the next few weeks as I'm traveling out of state on business. The CA states rules are so outrages it's a crime it self....
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1107
Wrong. The C7 has a 50 state emissions certification. I bought mine in ohio and registered in ca with 8 miles on it.

2. There is a waiver from state being bought from that you sign showing it should be taken out of state.
4. Pay the 8.25 tax!

Thats it.
No, it wasn't "Wrong", but thanks for being "that guy". I said as of the C6, and yes.. even the C6 had a "50 state" sticker, but also needed a California sticker to avoid any issues like smog referees.

Best advise is to not ask forum "experts" and ask .gov "experts" at the DMV, or the selling dealer who also likely knows.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

4. Pay the 8.25 tax!

Thats it.
Not entirely true. The C7 doesn't have a 50 state emission certification. In fact, just the opposite. If you order your car new, you have to specify where it will be registered or you have to go and jump through hoops with the dmv of your particular state. The east-coast of the US has very different emission requirements say then in the most nanny states of CA and HI. It is a extreme hassle to bring a car into CA that doesn't meet the codes of the state - ask me how I know - I brought my C5 here from PA. and that was back in 2005, now it's worse!!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:15 PM
ravenna2000
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have purchased seven new cars out of state and had no trouble bringing them back into California. Only hassle is getting the vehicle smogged before going to DMV where they collect the tax money and give you your plates. Most cars are 50 state certified now at least the ones I've bought. SRT8 Jeep had sticker they questioned but they called Sacremento office and everything went through.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon

Good luck.
You are partially correct. California's rules apply to Both new AND used vehicles with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer. Below is a qoute taken directly off California's DMV website:

Definition of a nonresident vehicle
A nonresident vehicle was last registered outside the state of California. Anyone who brings a vehicle into California, or purchases a nonresident vehicle while in California, should be aware of the registration requirements.

NOTE:California law prohibits California residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

Reference:Health & Safety Code Section 43151(A)
Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 PM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Guys I was right. My c7 has CA plates. All it needs is smogged. Ask Tim Boone of Boardwalk chevy. Hes checked like 5 different C7s for me before I bought from Rick Conti. I dont care about crappy c5s (I had one) or C6s I had three.

All yes all C7s are 50 state emission legal. As long as its new and never registered then bring it in to cali. If it was registered in another state first AND has less than 7500 miles then you might have problems.

All unregistered c 7s can be registered in cali with smog.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:04 AM
davelv
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

I am in a similar situtation in Washington state that requires 50 state, northeast or California emissions. According to GM fleet literature, all 2014 C7s are 50 state no matter which emissions is ordered. Except that neither Chevrolet customer service nor many dealerships appear to know this.

To be sure before you buy, look at underhood emissions label which should state it meets California emissions if it is indeed 50 state.

I am unsure why GM offers multiple emission order codes when one should suffice. Perhaps to make it easier on DMV people who won't have to think.

Last edited by davelv; 11-21-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:00 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by davelv
I am in a similar situtation in Washington state that requires 50 state, northeast or California emissions. According to GM fleet literature, all 2014 C7s are 50 state no matter which emissions is ordered. Except that neither Chevrolet customer service nor many dealerships appear to know this.

To be sure before you buy, look at underhood emissions label which should state it meets California emissions if it is indeed 50 state.

I am unsure why GM offers multiple emission order codes when one should suffice. Perhaps to make it easier on DMV people who won't have to think.
Amen brother! Preach on Playa!
Old 11-21-2013, 10:08 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Here is just how goofy the CA rules are:
  • If you order a new Corvette museum delivery WITH CA emissions from a CA dealer and process the registration through the dealer you do not have to get a CA smog inspection.
  • If you order the EXACT same car from an out-of-state dealer and have them temp tag register it first in their state so you can pick it up from the museum, you have to get a CA smog inspection and go to DMV to pay taxes and registration.
  • If you order the exact same car from a dealer out of state and do a courtesy delivery where the CA dealer does the registration, no CA smog inspection required.
  • Not sure about the buy the car out-of-state and drive or ship it to CA. I think since you would have to register at the DMV a CA smog inspection is required.

To make it even more ridiculous CA does not require a smog inspection to register a car until it is six years old, so the smog test stations didn't even have the brand new car in their test software pick list on my 2008. They just did a visual inspection then called the state to override the test. Update: The "test only" Smog Check station was able to test my C7 without a hitch.

Bottom line if you are not a licensed CA dealer and you are taking the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin to the DMV to register the car in CA for the first time, you have to get a CA smog inspection. Not a big deal, just plan on the extra $50 and 4 hours of time if you buy out-of-state.

Who knows if these crazy rules are intentionally written to protect CA dealers or if the politicians who write them just don't understand the unintended consequences.

BTW, my 2014, due to pick up next month, will be my second out-of-state purchase museum delivery. Did the drill on my 2008, purchased from Fichtner as well. My 1999 was also an out-of-state purchase, but did a courtesy delivery that time so the CA dealer registered it.

Last edited by adamsocb; 01-23-2014 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Updated Information
Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by adamsocb
Here is just how goofy the CA rules are:
  • If you order a new Corvette museum delivery WITH CA emissions from a CA dealer and process the registration through the dealer you do not have to get a CA smog inspection.
  • If you order the EXACT same car from an out-of-state dealer and have them temp tag register it first in their state so you can pick it up from the museum, you have to get a CA smog inspection and go to DMV to pay taxes and registration.
  • If you order the exact same car from a dealer out of state and do a courtesy delivery where the CA dealer does the registration, no CA smog inspection required.
  • Not sure about the buy the car out-of-state and drive or ship it to CA. I think since you would have to register at the DMV a CA smog inspection is required.

To make it even more ridiculous CA does not require a smog inspection to register a car until it is six years old, so the smog test stations don't even have the brand new car in their test software pick list. They just do a visual inspection then call the state to override the test.

Bottom line if you are not a licensed CA dealer and you are taking the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin to the DMV to register the car in CA for the first time, you have to get a CA smog inspection. Not a big deal, just plan on the extra $50 and 4 hours of time if you buy out-of-state.

Who knows if these crazy rules are intentionally written to protect CA dealers or if the politicians who write them just don't understand the unintended consequences.
I can add to your last item - I bought from a MD dealer and had it shipped to my home in CA. Paid sales tax to CA, tried to register it from MD but need a smog cert, so that will get done in December when I feel like it. CA is just F**ked up period. Even though it was bought with a CA emissions why on earth would you need a smog cert ???? MONEY, that CA doesn't have - that's why it's a retarded state.... Just sayin'....
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Here are the emissions order codes from the order guide.

FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements, 50-state certified

YF5 Emissions, California state requirements, 50-state certified

NE1 Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements, 50-state certified NB8 Emissions override, California (allows a dealer in states that require California emissions - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington - to order Federal emissions for a vehicle that will be registered in a state that has Federal emission requirements). Do not use for vehicles that will be registered in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington. 1 - Requires (FE9) Federal emissions requirements. Not available in Maine or Vermont.

NB9 Emissions override, state-specific (for dealers ordering vehicles in (YF5) or (NE1) emission states - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington) 1 - Allows a California dealer (YF5 emissions) to order (NE1) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in (NE1) states; or, a Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington dealer (NE1 emissions) to order (YF5) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in California.

NC7 Emissions override, Federal (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington) 1 - Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state
Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 PM
JRBurn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 50 state emissions too and purchased out of state and had no problem registering it in Cali.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
davelv
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

Apparently, however, to order from any dealer requires the correct state code as GM's system won't allow orherwise.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
w7ldcard
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by -CM-
Here are the emissions order codes from the order guide.

FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements, 50-state certified

YF5 Emissions, California state requirements, 50-state certified

NE1 Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements, 50-state certified NB8 Emissions override, California (allows a dealer in states that require California emissions - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington - to order Federal emissions for a vehicle that will be registered in a state that has Federal emission requirements). Do not use for vehicles that will be registered in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island or Washington. 1 - Requires (FE9) Federal emissions requirements. Not available in Maine or Vermont.

NB9 Emissions override, state-specific (for dealers ordering vehicles in (YF5) or (NE1) emission states - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington) 1 - Allows a California dealer (YF5 emissions) to order (NE1) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in (NE1) states; or, a Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington dealer (NE1 emissions) to order (YF5) emissions with (NB9) emissions override code for registration in California.

NC7 Emissions override, Federal (for vehicles ordered by dealers in Federal emission states with (YF5) or (NE1) emissions - Not required for vehicles being shipped to California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington) 1 - Requires (YF5) California state emissions requirements or (NE1) Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington state
If those are both 50 state will there be an issue with a NE1 or NB9 being registered in California.

Get notified of new replies

To CA Emissions

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

4. Pay the 8.25 tax! Thats it.
Outrageous, I guess they have to have some way to pay for all the services for illegals. Don
Old 01-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't you guys just leave California and move to the United States? Just pass through customs at the Nevada Border and keep driving.......
Old 01-23-2014, 01:24 AM
Atticus Alan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7
Why don't you guys just leave California and move to the United States? Just pass through customs at the Nevada Border and keep driving.......
Yeah, but then we'd be outside California. Can't live there. Am loving the California lifestyle!

Seriously, you live in the state; you enjoy the state's freeways, services, schools, etc.; you pay the sales tax to the state. What's the problem.

I do agree that it makes no sense smog testing a brand new car. I didn't have to do this with my museum-delivered C6 purchased through Rick Conti. However, it took me forever to find the sticker proclaiming it California-worthy. Turned out that it was on the hinge to the hood. Odd placement!

Quick Reply: CA Emissions