Sponsored by:

C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Very happy with ours... The integration is worth it. The lane detail is very useful, and it got us across country without incident. Only time we had a slight bobble was somewhere in Tennessee where it routed us off the main highway onto a parallel side route for a stretch, but I believe that was to avoid some construction zones.

As with any nav - best to have an idea where you are going via map (paper or electronic) and stay the course if you hit a deviation... Nav will recalculate the new route and all is good. Haven't seen one nav system that didn't have its little quirks and need a forced recalculation at one point or another.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rohard
My C6 navigation has features the C7 DOES NOT have. Several easy examples i) 3 route selection w/o paging screens and having to remember what preceding screen shows, ii) ability to input coordinates directly, w/o having to use OnStar, iii) easy updates (though costly at $199) by DVD. (I assumed (me bad, remember what a$$ u me means) we could do updates by USB stick in C7. GM customer service says no, have to go to dealer, cost unknown.) In addition, very slow screen loads, and system freezes.

It seems to me that GM is trying to force us (and I will not be forced) to buy OnStar to make the system work properly. (Yes, as noted on this topic, you can load routes using Remote Link, but ONLY if you have active OnStar subscription. When free OnStar gone, all you will have is Key Fob functions for 5 years from delivery of car.)

For the paranoid among us, here is a quote to savor: (http://gigaom.com/2012/09/07/chevy-a...to-navigation/)

"Consumer friendly, yes, but GM friendly?
Chevy is definitely making a bold move. Maybe those 20-somethings would never fork over the money for OnStar, but they’re not the only age group that own smartphones. When will the buyers of pricier Chevys – not to mention Buicks, GMCs and even Cadillacs – start wondering when they’ll get BringGo as well?

The more GM opens its cars up to developers, the more it risks losing control of its platforms and cannibalizing services it provides through OnStar. So far GM has been cautious. Apart from the still-unreleased BringGo, MyLink has just two apps: Pandora and Stitcher."

This application (BringGO) apparently became available on the Spark and Sonic in the 4th quarter of 2012. GM spent a lot of time integrating the Infotainment System on the C7 into OnStar, and took several features off the C6 nav system that I liked. I am pretty bummed out that GM built a system that intentionally tries to tie us to their $30/month OnStar system instead of allowing us to use the full features of our smart phone/Pad. To add insult to injury, they allow it in there lower cost cars that apparently (I did not check) do not have OnStar built in.
In my current system, I manually enter a street address, choose a route, and start.

Are you saying a person can't enter an address into the nav system because you must enter that info via OnStar?

Confused...
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Slynky
In my current system, I manually enter a street address, choose a route, and start.

Are you saying a person can't enter an address into the nav system because you must enter that info via OnStar?

Confused...
No. You can enter an address (or POI for that matter) directly into the NAV, using either the touch screen or VR.

By using Onstar however, you can enter an address from your smartphone, directly to the NAV from the comfort of your home (there's an app for that)
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Confused...
I'm confused as well, there is absolutely no dependency with OnStar to use the Nav. Onstar does allow you to push an address up to the Nav from your phone but it's hardly required.

Lots of misleading and false information here but ultimately it's GM's fault because the manual is so poorly written.

The Nav isn't the favorite I've ever used but it's worked for me every time I've used it and any errors are the fault of the map content which isn't GM, it's Navtech.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confused...
No, you can enter it directly, if you have it, and the data base recognizes it. My problems have been two fold. On a 2100 mile trip down the Natchez Trace, I have about a 75% success rate. Some times I had the GPS Coordinates, but on the new system you have to either use a computer and enter a Text file (SD or USB stick, for which to but it mildly, the manual instructions are terrible) or OnStar. I tried OnStar (I am still in the 6 month free) and they sent me to a place 17 miles from what I gave them. The system is very slow, screen loads are slow, and it really has problems with data entry, no buffer and overrun the keypad. As to route selection, the old C6 system (2008 version) had a three route overlay and you could pick. On this system, you have to key between Fast, Short and Eco, whatever that is, w/o route overlay.
Major complaint, why did GM not provide the interface to allow me to use my IPhone to input the route and destination into the System, like they do (reportedly, see earlier posts for link) w/o having to go through OnStar. The Remote Link program does allow this, but it revert to only the Key Fob functions if you do not have an OnStar Account. That is really an issue with me.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Map updates shouldn't be pricy anymore. You think it's going to be more than a $200 DVD? Probably more like $100 installed at the dealer. The point of having the dealers do it is to prevent duplication of the DVD. (Like a Digital Rights Management system without the "digital" part.) Things like that lower costs, not raise them.
I am told it is a minimum of 2 hours to download and check at dealer. This will be a whole lot more than $199. These downloads are "free", with traffic (internet connection required) on most portable GPS's, I have paid the $199 and on my old system, takes about 60 seconds to put the new disk in. I don't think the object is to make it less expensive to the customer, otherwise they would load it on a USB stick and sell it for a heck of a lot less than $199. I have never tried to "read the DVD", but suspect the Navigation Disks do not lend themselves to copying with standard software.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I am told it is a minimum of 2 hours to download and check at dealer. This will be a whole lot more than $199. These downloads are "free", with traffic (internet connection required) on most portable GPS's, I have paid the $199 and on my old system, takes about 60 seconds to put the new disk in. I don't think the object is to make it less expensive to the customer, otherwise they would load it on a USB stick and sell it for a heck of a lot less than $199. I have never tried to "read the DVD", but suspect the Navigation Disks do not lend themselves to copying with standard software.
On my 2008 Infinity you buy the code on line from Infinity, then take it to a dealer who charges for the download. The Code charges are $99 on sale or $150 not on sale from Infinity.
The dealer charges what ever he can. Depending on the dealer I have seen charges as low as $89 up to $150. I checked ahead of time and payed $89.
So it appears that this is same type of system We have to put up with our navigation update.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:03 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

My C6 navigation has features the C7 DOES NOT have. Several easy examples i) 3 route selection w/o paging screens and having to remember what preceding screen shows, ii) ability to input coordinates directly, w/o having to use OnStar, iii) easy updates (though costly at $199) by DVD. (I assumed (me bad, remember what a$$ u me means) we could do updates by USB stick in C7. GM customer service says no, have to go to dealer, cost unknown.) In addition, very slow screen loads, and system freezes.

It seems to me that GM is trying to force us (and I will not be forced) to buy OnStar to make the system work properly. (Yes, as noted on this topic, you can load routes using Remote Link, but ONLY if you have active OnStar subscription. When free OnStar gone, all you will have is Key Fob functions for 5 years from delivery of car.)

For the paranoid among us, here is a quote to savor: (http://gigaom.com/2012/09/07/chevy-a...to-navigation/)

"Consumer friendly, yes, but GM friendly?
Chevy is definitely making a bold move. Maybe those 20-somethings would never fork over the money for OnStar, but they’re not the only age group that own smartphones. When will the buyers of pricier Chevys – not to mention Buicks, GMCs and even Cadillacs – start wondering when they’ll get BringGo as well?

The more GM opens its cars up to developers, the more it risks losing control of its platforms and cannibalizing services it provides through OnStar. So far GM has been cautious. Apart from the still-unreleased BringGo, MyLink has just two apps: Pandora and Stitcher."

This application (BringGO) apparently became available on the Spark and Sonic in the 4th quarter of 2012. GM spent a lot of time integrating the Infotainment System on the C7 into OnStar, and took several features off the C6 nav system that I liked. I am pretty bummed out that GM built a system that intentionally tries to tie us to their $30/month OnStar system instead of allowing us to use the full features of our smart phone/Pad. To add insult to injury, they allow it in there lower cost cars that apparently (I did not check) do not have OnStar built in.
I have a 2014 Spark EV. It has OnStar (three years free so GM can track the electric system performance), but there was no NAV option except to load BringGO on to your phone. BringGO costs $60 if you want traffic. The Android implementation only works on a couple of phones and is kind of clunky (probably due to the Bluetooth interface). The iPhone version works OK, but requires you plug your iPhone into the USB port. The BringGO app comes up on the center console display with fairly rich graphics. BringGO has far more capability than most built-in NAV systems, but it is new and still buggy. The database has errors and sometimes it won't find a route at all. The traffic is also poor, but so is the C7 NAV traffic that comes through XM.

Link to the BringGO app

The Car companies need to just get out of the NAV business and let us see our smart-device screen on the dash display. Waze has the most accurate traffic, provided in real time by millions of subscribers. Waze will accurately find the quickest route based on traffic conditions. I use it all the time in LA/OC traffic to pick the best route and estimate travel time. If I could see and control the Waze app on my car screen via near field communication (NFC) life would be great!

Last edited by adamsocb; 07-06-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:22 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoabC7
I don't know why as consumers we should have to tolerate compromised technology....
I don't know why either.

I completely agree with you on all your points. I've used Ford, Jeep and Chevy nav systems and they are all significantly inferior (and significantly more expensive) to systems like Garmin.

There really is no legitimate reason for this and it's a perfect example of why American made cars suffer image problems. (and save your scorn, for purely patriotic reasons, I've never owned a foreign car in my life and I've owned my own cars for more than 30 years)

As another poster pointed out, the simple solution here is to contract out the Nav software to someone like Garmin who is in that business -- with significant investment over years on the perfecting their nav systems.

This is not to say, as so many have pointed out, that the system has not shown improvement. I'm looking forward to being able to load turn by turn via Onstar or an app.

There is no excuse for such inferior systems to go into cars costing more than $50k, no matter who makes the car and consumers should not be asked to make such compromises or to be so willing to apologize for them to others.

Last edited by dwward; 07-06-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Yellow68conv
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin City
I was in a brand new Lexus yesterday and it was fantastic. It asks you if you want shortest route, no freeways, etc. The graphics and directions were really clear to understand. I'm guessing the Chevy system works the same way (at least I hope!)
I own a Lexus and a C7. The Lexus nav is fantastic. I love my C7 but I'll never buy another GM nav system. Infotainment is a blot on a wonderful car. I carry a Garmin for navigation.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Told by whom?
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Told by whom?
GM Customer Service at the "Infotainment" help line for dealer has to load.

Dealer Salesperson I bought car from based on another of his customers on time at dealership for update. (Under warranty, cost unknown.)

Personal experience on a 2011 Mercedes Benz, took over 4 hours to download mapset update.

DVD disk, about 60 seconds. Assume a USB stick about the same time.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I didn't order nav after my experience with the C6 nav. Total crap. I use my iPhone. Works great.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by adamsocb
I have a 2014 Spark EV. It has OnStar (three years free so GM can track the electric system performance), but there was no NAV option except to load BringGO on to your phone. BringGO costs $60 if you want traffic. The Android implementation only works on a couple of phones and is kind of clunky (probably due to the Bluetooth interface). The iPhone version works OK, but requires you plug your iPhone into the USB port. The BringGO app comes up on the center console display with fairly rich graphics. BringGO has far more capability than most built-in NAV systems, but it is new and still buggy. The database has errors and sometimes it won't find a route at all. The traffic is also poor, but so is the C7 NAV traffic that comes through XM.

Link to the BringGO app

The Car companies need to just get out of the NAV business and let us see our smart-device screen on the dash display.

To me, taking the GM Remote Link (which I would be willing to pay a one time charge for) program, removing it from the need to go through OnStar (i.e. communicate directly with your smart phone via blue tooth (preferred) or USB, and allowing navigation is the answer. Just like BringGo. In a effort to keep OnStar relevant, GM is trying (IMHO) to tie the functionality of the Nav to OnStar. Obsolete technology, don't need a second built in cell phone in the car. Toyota "Entune" does this w/o a OnStar type built in cell phone.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

They want you to use OnStar to pay for it that is why they keep it bum fuzzled. The other Nav units don't have the OnStar connection to pay for.
z51vett
Doug
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel White
No problems with the C6 NAV if you take the time to learn how to use it. I will admit its not very intuitive and the resolution isn't very good, but it has always navigated just fine.
I found that the $1795 factory NAV in my C6 wasn't any better at getting me to my selected destination than my $85 Garmin, and the Garmin was 100 times easier to program. With the Garmin, I don't need to download a 52 page tutorial off this forum from Talon90, to read in depth, every time I want to program the Garmin.

Nor do I have to pay GM $200 every year to get the latest update(Garmin is free and can update 4 times a year). Does anyone know what GM is going to charge to update the C7's NAV, or is it free?

At least the C7's NAV is a thousand bucks cheaper than the C6's POS NAV, but still seven hundred bucks more expensive than my $85 Garmin.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by VatorMan
I didn't order nav after my experience with the C6 nav. Total crap. I use my iPhone. Works great.
The C7 system is light years ahead of the C6's. It works well - even the VR works extremely well...

YMMV of course....

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Though I agree $795 is ridiculously high for nav in 2014, I don't thinks it's bad.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my ZR1 I lasted about 2 weeks with the Nippon Denso GPS, I was ready to jamb a knife in the display! Then installed a Kenwood / Garmin with FM traffic, and have been a happy camper.

Our C7 did not come with Navigation, so I bought a Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic to put in the hole behind the display, until someone makes one that will integrate into the C7 CAN buss.

The problem is that if you have used a Garmin that is intuitive using the GM units is entirely frustrating. The GM unit is fine if you don't know any better.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,756 Likes on 2,940 Posts

The more I've gotten comfortable with the C7's nav interface the more I'm starting to enjoy it. The single best change I've made to enjoy it more is look up the destination in the OnStar phone app then said it to the car for guidance. MUCH quicker and easier doing it this way with far less frustration; I won't even bother doing it by voice anymore.

All-in-all, it's an $800 option that I would buy again

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS