Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by MoabC6
.... Anyway, night night. Off early to SLC to check out PFADT's headers and tune.
If I don't get lost.
Print directions out from MapQuest!

Have a safe trip.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Let me guess, instead of going up 6 out of Green River, the factory nav went west on 70 all the way to Cove Fort then north up 15 ...........
Why am I not suprised ...................
Old 11-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Jpiatchek
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Navigation sucks

So here we are with our wonderful, new TR C7 ready to take a little road trip from Moab to Salt Lake City, UT. Go out to the car and enter the destination address and like magic the route appears, 5 hrs 01 min, 303 miles. WTF? It has taken just about the longest and dumbest way to get to SLC. Just like our C6 POS nav system did. And yes the system is setup correctly! I complained to GM/Chevy back in 2009. Glad they decided to keep the same routing algorithms. Even the shortest route was listed as 5 hrs 23 min, 238 miles. (Which unlike the C6 the routing choices are a PITA to get to). And the C7 Nav system even has many highway and road speed limits built into it's data base.

So I again compared it to other Nav software: Delorme Street Atlas, iMaps, Google Maps, and the Nav system in my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All displayed the same and shortest route as the quickest.
Average 4 hrs 14 min, 239 miles.

So looks like I will be looking for a RAM mount for my iPhone so I can have a dependable turn by turn routing device available. Pretty sad for a $75,000 vehicle. Thanks again GM.
Same thing. Left on a trip from Springfield Mo to Cape girardeau Mo. Straight shot across the state all four lane. Nav routed me thru St Louis, 60 miles longer. Even after an hour, the young lady would not reroute me like other systems and she never gave up until I shut her off. Then changed from fastest route to shortest route and was told to turn at roads that didn't exist. The distances to turn off we're vague and not precise and had me do the wrong exit a couple of times.
The ETA was way off and equivalent to about 50 miles an hour road speed on four lane.
I have had factory nav on at least 7 or 8 cars and this is by far the worst. No confidence
On the positive side, the voice recognition worked great and it was simple and quick to set destinations, but the end result and execution really leaves a lot to be desired. The screen looks real pretty, though. Just my two cents. Very disappointed, but love the car.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Go look at some of Nav. systems on Aston martin's or Ferrari's then you would be happy with the C7 Nav. Plus it's much easier to use the Nav. on your iphone anyways.

And name me another $75,000 car that offers the total package as a C7 does??
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Go look at some of Nav. systems on Aston martin's or Ferrari's then you would be happy with the C7 Nav. Plus it's much easier to use the Nav. on your iphone anyways.

Amen brother! The sky is falling and were going to get a class action against GM for the car not being perfect. I love these end of the world threads.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:26 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

The C7 nav is world class with traffic and accident updates and onstar app destination downloading. It is eerily similar to the Pioneer Avic Z3 with nav traffic and high definition screen. I love it.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

That's a bit distressing to hear.

The nav in my Z is easy to use and seems to be VERY accurate. I speed a lot so the times are usually incorrect but easy to understand why .

In contrast--discussing nav systems that suck--my wife's Cooper S nav is the pits ! It routes crazy and if you decide to take a route you know to be shorter than the route it has listed, the "b" won't shut up. It never reroutes...she just keeps repeating to make a legal u-turn and go HER way. I talked my wife into getting it because the one in my Z is a dream.

For all the advocates of the Garmin "stick-on", I guess I'm a bit stuck up. I just can't see having a gorgeous car like the C7 and sticking something tacky on the dash or windshield. That "look", IMO, is reserved for Pintos and Tercels. (but, to each their own)

I use my nav system even when I know where I'm going a lot of the time. I like having a pretty good idea how many minutes I am from my destination. Sometimes, I just like to call up stored destinations because doing various errands and getting to the next place the fastest way is easier left up to the (trustworthy) nav.

Maybe GM will make some changes...? From what I hear, I shouldn't expect anything soon but crossing my fingers.

Sigh...
Old 11-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

since smart phones and google maps, there is, IMO, no need to pay the extra dollars for NAV. Most units are still CD based and suck relative to what you pay.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458

Originally Posted by mark1107
Amen brother! The sky is falling and were going to get a class action against GM for the car not being perfect. I love these end of the world threads.
Originally Posted by mark1107
The C7 nav is world class with traffic and accident updates and onstar app destination downloading. It is eerily similar to the Pioneer Avic Z3 with nav traffic and high definition screen. I love it.
For the near 1K GM charges for it, it had better darn work as it should. Sure, the car itself is dynamite. That is still no excuse for this debacle.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Can it find a race track ? The C6 NAV can't. Hard to believe that a performance vehicle can't locate a race track.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:53 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have actually had my Garmin take me on some strange routes to save what the algorithm must have determined to be a shorter route. Not long ago I was routed over a crappy, narrow, broken country road that paralleled a major state highway for miles, often within sight of it. I found it pays to pre determine my routes using Google Maps or another facility,
Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I think the car knows how to get there the quickest, but didn't wanna roll down the interstate. Probably picked a curvy road out in the middle of nowhere so you can flog it.
What a great comment
Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I don't know why as consumers we should have to tolerate compromised technology. For crying out loud, this has been a known software issue for years that GM has forced us to live with. I know since I reported this problem in 2009. But WTF, it's only money. Imagine the hue and cry if Apple or Google failed to fix a problem like this.

Anyway, night night. Off early to SLC to check out PFADT's headers and tune.
If I don't get lost.
Just take a Garmin, AAA maps, print out your route on Mapquest, and Google maps, and if that all fails, then try your GM NAV as a back up.
The C7 NAV has a great looking display, you must admit...
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

I have no issues with the Nav. Works just fine.

I have always made a habit of using it even going to places I know how to get to. This gives me an idea of how it works and the little nuances.

To me integrated NAV has always been the way to go.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
illiceman11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my C7.I did NOT order the nav.I have it on my 2014 Silverado and my 2013 SRX.I really can,t believe GM still puts out such a crap Nav. system in their car and trucks.Mine have all the problems that are stated above.Very very sad.
My on star is very good. but my Garmin is still by far the best.
GM get on the stick.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What I really wish is that the display(s) in the car could just act as added monitors for my phone or tablet.

Actually, would be better to just make a standardized spot to plug a tablet on the dash like a Surface (or an iPad if you must). Then you could always upgrade the software. 3rd parties could make better hardware. Car companies could get out of the software business, and consumers would not be locked into whatever software ecosystem the car company cut a deal with.

Look at the innovation in phones that comes from the competition and consumer choice available of hardware vendors, software, and app ecosystems.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I use

Originally Posted by mrrrkva
Glen, how do you "send it to your car"?
Map Quest, plan the Route and then at the upper right hand corner of MapQuest there should be a SEND then use Car and they will give options of OnStar

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the $795 price isn't really out of line.

Let's compare the superior navigation (Google maps over 3G) in the optional Audi MMI Plus system for the RS5. What you get:

DVD player
HD Radio™ Technology
Audi side assist
Rear view camera
Color driver information system
Voice control system
Audi MMI® Navigation plus

The Price you pay: $4000. Sure that has a couple things the C7 doesn't have, but what they also don't clearly advertise is that you have to purchase a data plan for that 3G SIM card, and hope that you are in a coverage area, or thought ahead to download your area to the HDD. Reports are that a standard SIM will work for some of the features of the system, but for everything you need the Audi provided SIM. The Audi connect plan is $450/30 months, or $30/month.

To me the ever popular argument of a phone/tablet is a moot point. When I drive my Corvettes the only thing I want stuck to the dash or window is my radar detector, and in reality I would rather that be integrated into the car elsewhere. In my C6 I was fumbling with my phone since there was no bluetooth audio streaming or SPP for steering wheel controls and that sucked.

However, the great thing is, we have the option to buy the NAV, or not. At least it wasn't bundled into a package like the Audi at a really high price where many of those features are standard in the C7.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by fredl11
Map Quest, plan the Route and then at the upper right hand corner of MapQuest there should be a SEND then use Car and they will give options of OnStar
google maps or Mapquest do not send to onstar...
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Can it find a race track ? The C6 NAV can't. Hard to believe that a performance vehicle can't locate a race track.

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS