C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
there's no way I would order NAV from the factory, was of money IMO considering a phone is always up to date and there are PORTABLE systems out there that goes into ANY car that are better for 1/3 the price.
Neither would I. But, the 3LT came with it and we wanted that interior trim.

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
BTW, you can set the nav unit to ignore or take into account traffic. Also, you've got the choice of "fastest route, shortest distance, or eco friendly." Any of these might change distance/time.
Yep, know all that. Shouldn't have to get the "fastest" route by selecting the "shortest" route. Time enroute calculation is still wrong, which I suspect is the culprit. What is ridicules is that the same error(s) are being carried forward from the C6.

Originally Posted by csf
I don't have a C7 yet, and I may be wrong, but I bet there is some setting you need to learn about that is forcing that much longer route. Would make no sense for a brand new system to be so inaccurate. Good luck
Nope, settings are correct.

Originally Posted by Sin City
I I'm guessing the Chevy system works the same way (at least I hope!)
Nope, no hope here.

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Goggle Maps on an iPad is very hard to beat. Very robust database that is constantly updated. Just get the 4G option on your iPad and a cup holder adapter and you're good to go !
Actually, I'm finding iMaps, despite a rough start, to be nice since it offers up three different routes to choose from. But nothing wrong with Google Maps.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you're not hung up on money and want the ultimate convenience try the turn by turn that comes with onstar. Last week I had to drive from Knoxville to ft lauderdale and came down 75 and hit Atlanta at rush hour. I was using turn by turn and was able to call them 25 miles north of Atlanta, have them look at the traffic flows, reroute me for the fastest way and send that new route to my car...pretty slick....
Old 11-12-2013, 08:14 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
the C6 NAV had that option of different route options, and could bypass certain highways etc. if need be.

I'm pretty certain if the C6 had it, the C7 has it +
All OEM NAV systems that aren't Garmin based, will not be as intuitive, so unfortunately, anybody that's not willing to open up the manual, or play with the system until it's learned, will give up on the
C7 Nav system, just like they did with the C6 Nav
Originally Posted by Daniel White
No problems with the C6 NAV if you take the time to learn how to use it. I will admit its not very intuitive and the resolution isn't very good, but it has always navigated just fine.
BS. Go ahead and imply that I didn't take the time or make the effort to learn both systems. I did and I have. The fact is, both systems made the same identical incorrect routing. Go ahead, stick your heads in the sand and pretend the system is not at fault.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by KenHorse
.... Then again, I took the time to learn it and in 5 years, it let me down maybe 2 or 3 times. And it was great to have going to and coming back from the 2009 NCC
Damn, you GET it!

I don't order factory nav systems because we've flown and driven using Garmin systems for years. In either situation, we can route using different criteria.

In the car, I can set up for highways, fastest route (not always highways), avoid highways or most direct. If you want to laugh your butt off, set up "most direct". Look out alleys, etc.

I don't know the route selection criteria in GM's (or any other car's) nav system, but I suspect is has route options. RTFM may apply??
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Br0
Instructor

Why pay $795 when my $200 iphone5 can do it better and easier and cheaper...

I've had NAV in my past cars (mainly just for screen and idrive on bmw and etc other reasons besides needed it for nav), and still used the iphone instead. Never understood why people would pay so much for an outdated technology like built in navs when little even use them anymore. Hell, we all get the 8" screen regardless, no need to pay $800 extra for something my phone can do. BMWs is fantastic, and yet I still use my iphone. It's just plain easier.

But you didn't buy it, it came with 3LT, so no big deal.

Last edited by Br0; 11-12-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
uwec86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I just wrote it above....go to the phone app - choose nav and send it - or just call them using the mirror button

from iphone app:
What's the name of the app?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM
time2run
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I've used Garmin GPS for almost 10 years and I have to say it's a fairly easy system to use but I don't trust it any more than I can throw it through the windshield. If I know I'll be on the road, I always check the route on MapQuest or some other system to make sure I have a fairly good idea of where I need to go before engaging the Garmin. Garmin works well about 90% of the time but it has taken me on some extremely long roundabouts and passed up much shorter routes to my intended destination.

I do have GPS in my C7 and I don't find it as user friendly as the Garmin (can't teach old dogs new GPS's??) but I do like the interaction between the GPS and traffic showing traffic issues along my route and providing multiple detours to get around the problems. The combination seems to work a lot better than my Garmin.

I have used the OnStar IPhone app multiple times to download the route to the C7 prior to starting out. This is a pretty easy and valuable feature to have especially if you travel frequently.

As with most things, some things work better for some people and not others.

Last edited by time2run; 11-12-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by uwec86
What's the name of the app?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina

for others reading here, you don't need NAV to have turn by turn downloaded to the car - it comes with the higher level subscription you get for free with the car. Download the phone app, put in the address an it send it to your car...or hit the mirror button and they will do it for you too....
You are correct, ONstar will download a turn by turn but I still like having ONstar download the route to the NAV works better for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:47 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina

Originally Posted by Br0
Why pay $795 when my $200 iphone5 can do it better and easier and cheaper...

I've had NAV in my past cars (mainly just for screen and idrive on bmw and etc other reasons besides needed it for nav), and still used the iphone instead. Never understood why people would pay so much for an outdated technology like built in navs when little even use them anymore. Hell, we all get the 8" screen regardless, no need to pay $800 extra for something my phone can do. BMWs is fantastic, and yet I still use my iphone. It's just plain easier.

But you didn't buy it, it came with 3LT, so no big deal.
Good point I also ordered 3LT with the MSRP at over $70,000 a few extra bucks will not matter. I am getting close to 70 YO and I would rather "P" it all away then leave it to a relative.. Either I spend it and enjoy it or someone else will enjoy it when I die.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Although it downloads directions for you and the App is free you need an active On Star subscription which isn't free. So in the end Google Maps for free is better IMHO.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackhall99
RTFM may apply??
Interesting how some continue to ignore the stated and restated facts. Guess it's easier than acknowledging that the system has a problem. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MKenM
Although it downloads directions for you and the App is free you need an active On Star subscription which isn't free. So in the end Google Maps for free is better IMHO.
I never said anything was better or worse...the simple fact is everyone that buys a vette has turn by turn for 6 months free and many don't know it......after that they can choose what they want....for reasons stated above, it will replace Google maps for me...as I will always have an Onstar subscription...
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Let me guess, instead of going up 6 out of Green River, the factory nav went west on 70 all the way to Cove Fort then north up 15 ...........
Old 11-12-2013, 09:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by MoabC6
Interesting how some continue to ignore the stated and restated facts. Guess it's easier than acknowledging that the system has a problem. Thanks.
Whoa, read my post! Better yet, comprehend my post!

I don't know if it has any issues, but as Ken and others have posted, it works well, even if on occasion it routes you the long way.

What I DID state is
1) I do not and never will buy a factory nav system, and
2) I can set my Garmin to route me through BFE or on a very direct, even if inconvenient, route.

Nothing more; nothing less.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Let me guess, instead of going up 6 out of Green River, the factory nav went west on 70 all the way to Cove Fort then north up 15 ...........
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

All manufacturers that offer in car NAV systems are offering a compromise technology. Sure it works but it will never be state of the art. The systems based on Google maps will offer a more nimble technology that will be upgradable. I fear that the NAV system in the C7 will suffer the same fate as the C6 NAV system. It will soon show its age.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 11-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

The C6 is the worst POS Navigation unit, I've had the misfortune to own, so sorry to hear the C7 is not much better. G.M. should have let Garmin (like I have on my Harley) develop the system for them.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 PM
H101
Pro

I love the NAV on my C7... and I have been a dedicated Garmin user for years.

No question it is a bit harder to use but its crowning glories are the clarity of the spoken instrux (no question what you are supposed to do) and the heads up display. I now have 5,400 miles that include two major trips and never once was I confused at an interchange.

I had the Garmin in its case right behind me the whole time and it never saw the light of day.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
All manufacturers that offer in car NAV systems are offering a compromise technology. Sure it works but it will never be state of the art. The systems based on Google maps will offer a more nimble technology that will be upgradable. I fear that the NAV system in the C7 will suffer the same fate as the C6 NAV system. It will soon show its age.
I don't know why as consumers we should have to tolerate compromised technology. For crying out loud, this has been a known software issue for years that GM has forced us to live with. I know since I reported this problem in 2009. But WTF, it's only money. Imagine the hue and cry if Apple or Google failed to fix a problem like this.

Anyway, night night. Off early to SLC to check out PFADT's headers and tune.
If I don't get lost.

Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS