Sponsored by:

C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 PM
MoabC7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
As a former flight instructor a nav unit like this could be fatal in instrument conditions. But fortunately we have road signs and google
Likewise, so we are still IFR in our Stingray.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 PM
FEEDMESLURPIES
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like this car all in all but couldn't be more disappointed with both the NAV and the infotainment system. Both are shockingly subpar, especially given the price and level of detail put into the rest of this fine automobile. At least the C8 has one thing left that it can improve upon over the C7.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MoabC7
Likewise, so we are still IFR in our Stingray.
Just keep your Jeps and hood in the back
Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 PM
rohard
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Open email to Mr. Charles on Navigation System Issues.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...em-issues.html
Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
for others reading here, you don't need NAV to have turn by turn downloaded to the car - it comes with the higher level subscription you get for free with the car. Download the phone app, put in the address an it send it to your car...or hit the mirror button and they will do it for you too....
our 2013 Volt came with 3 years of OnStar Turn by Turn Navigation and we love it. It shows up on both LCD screens with different info

Will I renew when our 3 years are up -don't know but it's worth considering.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Hmmm. Maybe the maps are incorrect in just certain parts of the country. The NAV in my C7 and former C6 always worked great here in the Northeast. Always got me where I needed to go quickly and efficiently.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glen e
for others reading here, you don't need NAV to have turn by turn downloaded to the car - it comes with the higher level subscription you get for free with the car. Download the phone app, put in the address an it send it to your car...or hit the mirror button and they will do it for you too....
It is only "free" for 6 months on OnStar and 1 year (3LT) Sirius, after that your RemoteLink is a "dumb key fob". If you want the system to continue to download to your unit, it is about $30/month for Directions and Connections, and $20/month for Sirius weather and traffic. Or if you bought a Spark or a Sonic, you can get a life time of weather, traffic and maps for $50/60 with BringGo.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:29 PM
rohard
Instructor

Well, I heard back from the Chevrolet's "Voice of the Customer" today, and it is good and bad news.

1) As opposed to what the dealer told me, the built in Navigation map set can be updated w/o a dealer trip. We will eventually (when they do a map set update) be able to order a USB stick with the new maps from the GMNavdisc.com web site. Cost was not discussed, assume in line with current $200. Current map is the latest. You can register if you want to be notified. Direct link: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...sAAAFATl5qYVlm

2) GM currently has no plans to reflash memory of 2014 MyLink systems. This means no updates for issues of connectivity. Pandora is it. Talon90 has given some work arounds, on how to use Siri. on IPhone 4S and 5's. If I understand his post (he will correct this if I am wrong) Android power smart phones not working. This was disappointing to me. Specifically since this feature is available on the Sonic and Spark's, through BringGo..

3) She confirmed the 2015's will have 4G LTE with a "hotspot". The lady I spoke to told me that OnStar would not be required, but a data plan would be. This is a little confusing to me, based on how they will transmit the data w/o an OnStar connection, but that is my understanding of what she said. I asked that this matter be addressed specifically at the NCM presentations at the end of the month associated with the 2014 Caravan. Unclear if this will happen or not, as she directed me to the announcement OnStar has made on their business plans. They are clearly going to try to push people toward the Chevrolet AppStore for applications. ( http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html )

I appreciated the follow up that I received on this matter from Chevrolet. I am not completely happy with the outcome, but still love the car. It will be interesting to see if GM can successfully put "lipstick on the pig" (OnStar). I still think this will be a turnoff to the younger, technically savvy folks who will not want to be tied to OnStar or proprietary applications. Time will tell.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:17 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by rohard
Well, I heard back from the Chevrolet's "Voice of the Customer" today, and it is good and bad news.

1) As opposed to what the dealer told me, the built in Navigation map set can be updated w/o a dealer trip. We will eventually (when they do a map set update) be able to order a USB stick with the new maps from the GMNavdisc.com web site. Cost was not discussed, assume in line with current $200. Current map is the latest. You can register if you want to be notified. Direct link: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...sAAAFATl5qYVlm

2) GM currently has no plans to reflash memory of 2014 MyLink systems. This means no updates for issues of connectivity. Pandora is it. Talon90 has given some work arounds, on how to use Siri. on IPhone 4S and 5's. If I understand his post (he will correct this if I am wrong) Android power smart phones not working. This was disappointing to me. Specifically since this feature is available on the Sonic and Spark's, through BringGo..

3) She confirmed the 2015's will have 4G LTE with a "hotspot". The lady I spoke to told me that OnStar would not be required, but a data plan would be. This is a little confusing to me, based on how they will transmit the data w/o an OnStar connection, but that is my understanding of what she said. I asked that this matter be addressed specifically at the NCM presentations at the end of the month associated with the 2014 Caravan. Unclear if this will happen or not, as she directed me to the announcement OnStar has made on their business plans. They are clearly going to try to push people toward the Chevrolet AppStore for applications. ( http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html )

I appreciated the follow up that I received on this matter from Chevrolet. I am not completely happy with the outcome, but still love the car. It will be interesting to see if GM can successfully put "lipstick on the pig" (OnStar). I still think this will be a turnoff to the younger, technically savvy folks who will not want to be tied to OnStar or proprietary applications. Time will tell.
1) Current map is the latest, update should be available near the end of September. I had mentioned in a previous post that the possibility existed for a user updated map version vs. the original plan of a dealer install.

2) Android functionality is there as well. The system is only using the default voice activation system on the device. It just happens to be Siri on the iPhone iOS. This way, if your Android has a way to press a button and get your texts, the car can use it. Specifics from users with Androids have been trickling in to the Siri thread that I had posted. All of my testing with the system has been with iPhones so my posts always have a slant toward Apple iOS functionality. Features within Android do work, they just work differently and unfortunately with varied levels of success depending upon which Android device and version of the OS your phone uses. Too much fragmentation within that platform for my liking.

3) The wifi 4G LTE hotspot is labelled as a "OnStar 4G LTE Hotspot" but it is backboned on a AT&T data plan. It will basically function much like a mobile hotspot that you can purchase from AT&T or the other cellular providers direct.

Last edited by talon90; 08-13-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I had navigation in my C6, I didn't order it with my C7. While it worked OK, but at the same time let me down a few times (where the hell am I?), my iPhone 5 is a whole lot easier to use, and I'm certain the iPhone 6 will be even that much better.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Wasn't there some word/rumor that there will be an Apple app to integrate with certain vehicles in the near future? Wasn't there a list somewhere?

Sad that a world-class car gets saddled with such automation--especially with cheaper GM vehicles seem to have outdone the C7 in some ways in this area. Perhaps GM just made a managerial decision that C7 purchasers are wasteful with their $ and will spend money on OnStar without even blinking.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:57 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Wasn't there some word/rumor that there will be an Apple app to integrate with certain vehicles in the near future? Wasn't there a list somewhere?

Sad that a world-class car gets saddled with such automation--especially with cheaper GM vehicles seem to have outdone the C7 in some ways in this area. Perhaps GM just made a managerial decision that C7 purchasers are wasteful with their $ and will spend money on OnStar without even blinking.
The 2015 Corvette when linked to an iPhone can use Siri for a number of features
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 PM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
The 2015 Corvette when linked to an iPhone can use Siri for a number of features
Right now, I think it is limited to texting, weather, and email? Driver distraction issue? The issue that concerns me is the push to have you use OnStar and the ATT data plan to get applications from the Chevrolet AppShop. (Which, if you go to their site, ( http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html ) notes the rollout is delayed.) That means that instead of using applications you are used to, you will have to use their proprietary applications. I didn't see a Navigation application on their list. (Also missing is a traffic site, guess they want you to stay with the Sirius package?)
Anyway, Talon90 clarified the question of the use of the data plan in post 189 above, point 3. Sounds like maybe you can get data w/o OnStar subscription in 2015, not sure how that will work in practice. Bottom line, our 2014's will be digital orphans, but not the Sonic's or Sparks. Hopefully someone will come up with a workaround.

Last edited by rohard; 08-13-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added post number.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

Right now, I think it is limited to texting, weather, and email? Driver distraction issue? The issue that concerns me is the push to have you use OnStar and the ATT data plan to get applications from the Chevrolet AppShop. (Which, if you go to their site, ( http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n...m-appshop.html ) notes the rollout is delayed.) That means that instead of using applications you are used to, you will have to use their proprietary applications. I didn't see a Navigation application on their list. (Also missing is a traffic site, guess they want you to stay with the Sirius package?)
Anyway, Talon90 clarified the question of the use of the data plan in post 189 above, point 3. Sounds like maybe you can get data w/o OnStar subscription in 2015, not sure how that will work in practice. Bottom line, our 2014's will be digital orphans, but not the Sonic's or Sparks. Hopefully someone will come up with a workaround.
The 2015 includes 5 years of a very limited Onstar service that also works the iPhone app that opens the doors WOW
Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Anyway, Talon90 clarified the question of the use of the data plan in post 189 above, point 3. Sounds like maybe you can get data w/o OnStar subscription in 2015, not sure how that will work in practice. Bottom line, our 2014's will be digital orphans, but not the Sonic's or Sparks..
I'm going to continue to say this. OnStar has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with MyLink Navigation or the Infotainment system in the Stingray. OnStar is another vehicle system and service but the two are not dependent upon each other.

Regarding the vehicle integration with Siri on the iPhone and voice activation on Android and Windows phones, It's actually not "limited" to anything. The integration with the vehicle provides nothing more than the ability to have two way voice command communication with your device (in my example, an iPhone). The videos that I shared were simply meant to be examples of three common tasks, texting, weather and email. For example, your iPhone has the ability via Siri to get directions to an address via the integrated map application on your phone. Once having retrieved those directions, it opens the map application and displays turn by turn directions on your phone screen. The vehicle integration will do the same thing and it will read the spoken part of the turn by turn over your vehicle audio system. The maps will only display on your phone screen.

You can do anything via this method that you can do with Siri and your phone. The benefit varies in doing things that only display on your phone. Anything that returns spoken audio will be heard over the vehicle system.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
I think the car knows how to get there the quickest, but didn't wanna roll down the interstate. Probably picked a curvy road out in the middle of nowhere so you can flog it.

If he wanted a nav system that got him there the quickest, he should have bought an Impala.

Michael
Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MoabC7
So here we are with our wonderful, new TR C7 ready to take a little road trip from Moab to Salt Lake City, UT. Go out to the car and enter the destination address and like magic the route appears, 5 hrs 01 min, 303 miles. WTF? It has taken just about the longest and dumbest way to get to SLC. Just like our C6 POS nav system did. And yes the system is setup correctly! I complained to GM/Chevy back in 2009. Glad they decided to keep the same routing algorithms. Even the shortest route was listed as 5 hrs 23 min, 238 miles. (Which unlike the C6 the routing choices are a PITA to get to). And the C7 Nav system even has many highway and road speed limits built into it's data base.

So I again compared it to other Nav software: Delorme Street Atlas, iMaps, Google Maps, and the Nav system in my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. All displayed the same and shortest route as the quickest. Average 4 hrs 14 min, 239 miles.

So looks like I will be looking for a RAM mount for my iPhone so I can have a dependable turn by turn routing device available. Pretty sad for a $75,000 vehicle. Thanks again GM.
Ya know, I keep seeing these complaints about the Nav system on the forum and don't feel your pain...mine works perfectly fine....I even tested it out setting it to destinations I knew how to get to and it took the shortcuts I used and once even got me there quicker!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Navigation System: $795 POS

Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM
rohard
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
I'm going to continue to say this. OnStar has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with MyLink Navigation or the Infotainment system in the Stingray. OnStar is another vehicle system and service but the two are not dependent upon each other.

You can do anything via this method that you can do with Siri and your phone. The benefit varies in doing things that only display on your phone. Anything that returns spoken audio will be heard over the vehicle system.
With regard to First point above, I am truly confused. My understanding was that the Chevrolet AppShop applications would come over OnStar. Right now, when I use Pandora on MyLink, it is coming in on my iPhone data plan. My understanding is that the new applications will only be on the OnStar/ATT data plan? This is not the way that BringGo works, ( it is on IPhone/android data plan ) or am I mistaken? Don't mean to be dense, trying to understand.

Your 2nd point on Siri is very helpful. I was under impression only certain programs would verbally respond. I admit to only skimming the instruction book and looking at your post on the IOS, I will go back and look at book.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

With regard to First point above, I am truly confused. My understanding was that the Chevrolet AppShop applications would come over OnStar. Right now, when I use Pandora on MyLink, it is coming in on my iPhone data plan. My understanding is that the new applications will only be on the OnStar/ATT data plan? This is not the way that BringGo works, ( it is on IPhone/android data plan ) or am I mistaken? Don't mean to be dense, trying to understand.

Your 2nd point on Siri is very helpful. I was under impression only certain programs would verbally respond. I admit to only skimming the instruction book and looking at your post on the IOS, I will go back and look at book.
I think all that we have going on is a misunderstanding over terms, a matter of semantics if you will.

There are two different systems in play here. First is the Chevrolet MyLink Infotainment system. This is where you use Pandora, this is where you would install apps and play audio. Second is the MyLink Navigation app. You keep saying that OnStar is required to make full use of the navigation system. Navigation is a separate system installed in the MyLink infotainment system. OnStar is no more required to use MyLink navigation than Pandora. Much like Navigation is not required to use MyLink Infotainment services.

Regarding the MyLink app shop, at this point I'm not even certain that there is going to be an app shop for the MyLink. I'm more inclined to believe that access to additional features will come in the form apps for the smartphone and access granted via the MyLink software.

The data plan will come from AT&T for the 2015 and will use OnStar's connection to the outside. Even the OnStar rep that you spoke with told you that OnStar services (paid subscription/account) will not be required to use the 4G LTE WiFi Hotspot. It sounds as if it will be managed by OnStar but services will be provided by AT&T. Signing up for this will be separate from OnStar and by virtue of having the Data plan, you still would have OnStar, nor will it be required.

You keep mentioning the BringGo app. BringGo is simply another GPS program in the form of an App installed on your device. It is designed for low cost vehicles without navigation systems and users with smartphones and it allows the integration and display of the BringGo navigation app on to the display in the car. It is a self contained GPS application. It doesn't allow for bridging other services you have on your phone to the car and it doesn't get you access to other map applications that you may have on your phone and it doesn't make use of other apps you may have on your phone. It would be like purchasing Navigon or the TomTom GPS app but this one connects with certain car Infotainment systems.

This is why I keep stating that OnStar has nothing to do with the MyLink navigation app. OnStar turn by turn is not part of the navigation software. It is a service provided by OnStar as part of a subscription plan. You don't need navigation to use OnStar turn by turn and you don't need OnStar to use MyLink navigation. I will agree that with OnStar there is an additional feature of being able to import routes to the in-dash MyLink navigation system but it isn't required.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread reminds me of the ones about the C6 nav deficiencies & issues , also the necessity for a seminar on how to use the C7 Nav system speaks volumes, i have two Garmins, a Nuvi and a Kenwood HU with garmin nav, both are self explanatory and set up and running within a few minutes very user friendly.
If there are to many layers of procedure on something that may not be used on a daily basis that then becomes the user hurdle,
for somthing like Nav systems better to keep it simple as possible.
Chevrolet you'v done it again
JMO on the subject.

Last edited by Rob 99; 08-14-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Navigation System: $795 POS