Sponsored by:

Tire Mounting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
cmsmolka
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Mounting question

I've purchased a set of AS 3's and my Michelin dealer asks if there is any special mounting issues on a z51 based wheel. This is his first 2014 so he doesn't want to risk damaging my wheels. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

There is a message on the side of the Pilot's to use a "trained technician". I imagine it would apply to your As3's as well. I do know the sockets are 'special' for the Z51 wheels. I guess there's less room or something for the socket. I was going to buy locking lugs from the dealer parts and they said they'd have to order them special as they're different from 'others'.
Originally Posted by cmsmolka
I've purchased a set of AS 3's and my Michelin dealer asks if there is any special mounting issues on a z51 based wheel. This is his first 2014 so he doesn't want to risk damaging my wheels. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Go to a place that has a touchless tire changer that is the only way I will have my tires mounted on my Vette
Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ontcanuck
Go to a place that has a touchless tire changer that is the only way I will have my tires mounted on my Vette
That's good advice.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:05 PM
flatcrank
Advanced

Originally Posted by -CM-
That's good advice.

That tire machine is horrific!

The operator was bouncing the face (!) of the wheel around on rollers ... hardly "touchless" ... the machine I used to use, called "Artiglio", works with the wheel face up, and no risk of anything touching.

Was the tire fully seated on the bead at the end of the demo video?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:30 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by flatcrank
That tire machine is horrific!

The operator was bouncing the face (!) of the wheel around on rollers ... hardly "touchless" ... the machine I used to use, called "Artiglio", works with the wheel face up, and no risk of anything touching.

Was the tire fully seated on the bead at the end of the demo video?
This one doesn't look any more or less "horrific."

Old 11-12-2013, 06:24 PM
WELEPRO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 24 Posts

There is nothing specific about the C7 wheels/tires that requires special equipment. We use Coats "touch less" mounting equipment, which works well. Just make sure your shop has some experience with large performance tires and you'll be fine. The run flat tires also required a little more muscle to change, but no special equipment.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
C7Z51_2014
Instructor

Speaking of tires, do non run-flats make less noise and/or perform better? Pros? Cons?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
flatcrank
Advanced

Originally Posted by C7Z51_2014
Speaking of tires, do non run-flats make less noise and/or perform better? Pros? Cons?
Yabsolutely.
Run flats are very heavy, cost a lot more and they're "rated" for something like 50 miles at 50 mph ... not ideal for a puncture on an Interstate. I don't know that you'll really feel the ride quality difference in terms of performance and handling, but any unsprung weight will have negative consequences in terms of keeping the tire in contact with the road surface.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7Z51_2014
You'll get a wide range of opinions on this topic. It's much like a which oil is best question. There are countless threads in the C6 section about it.

Last edited by -CM-; 11-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:35 PM
flatcrank
Advanced

Originally Posted by -CM-
This one doesn't look any more or less "horrific."

That's a newer model that the one I used, but it's a great machine -- I'd say chalk and cheese compared to the typical machines from Hunter and Ranger, etc. Zero contact with the finished surfaces of the wheel and zero risk of operator error since the computer measures the wheel, detects the rim, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Mounting question

Quick Reply: Tire Mounting question