Sponsored by:

I am not having second thoughts or regretting my decision to get a vert but

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I am not having second thoughts or regretting my decision to get a vert but

I am getting a C-7 without even sitting in one or seeing one in person.

I know it will be difficult to get in and out with my back and knee problems but even if it takes a couple minutes to get my mucked up body in the car I don't care.

It would have made more sense to get a coupe because it would have given me more room for my dogs, I just wish I could see a vert up close and in person so I can plan ahead as to how to carry the dogs.

The plan I have so so far is to get some kind of cover blanket to cover the seat and dash board and tie two short leashes to some part of the seat and it will prevent the dogs from jumping.

If I bought a coupe I would have been able to keep my cage in the back but I just HAD to get a convertible. If anyone as seen a C-7 or hopefully a C-7 vert in person would the be room in the front to fit a dog crate big enough for two dogs. ( or two small dog crates) The two dogs are about 30 pounds each.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

2014 Corvette Convertible
Perfect choice for a dog crate & 2 30lb dogs
Not to mention back & knee problems!
Have you considered a Dodge Caravan?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

a corvette is probably not ideal for carrying around dogs. If you had another car or truck as a backup that might work out better, imho.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

aside from strangling the dogs if you tie them somewhere in the front and make a panic move, you may want to consider a custom-dimensioned crate to fit somewhere. I doubt if a generic crate will work, even in the rear section of a coupe for 30 lb dogs, unless it's the size of a cat crate. or you could consider that the car wasn't really designed for dogs.

wait...just wait...there will be somewhere around six or more posts coming that will describe the C7's excellence in design for dogs to travel with you.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by z edge
a corvette is probably not ideal for carrying around dogs. If you had another car or truck as a backup that might work out better, imho.
I Have a 96 and a 62 Vette, and also have a Dodge crew cab truck. I also have a Volt that I am getting rid of.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Look here.

http://petfriendlytravelsupplies.ecr...auto-solutions
Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default Good news

Two pieces of good news;
1. You're going to really love the car
2. Your pups are going to really love the dog sitter you're going to hire for them .

If you give up your allocation and go for the coupe, possibly doable, 'Vert not a chance. Front seat is too small for one crate big enough and you need two.
Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs

I know it will be difficult to get in and out with my back and knee problems but even if it takes a couple minutes to get my mucked up body in the car I don't care.

It would have made more sense to get a coupe because it would have given me more room for my dogs, I just wish I could see a vert up close and in person so I can plan ahead as to how to carry the dogs.

The plan I have so so far is to get some kind of cover blanket to cover the seat and dash board and tie two short leashes to some part of the seat and it will prevent the dogs from jumping.

If I bought a coupe I would have been able to keep my cage in the back but I just HAD to get a convertible. If anyone as seen a C-7 or hopefully a C-7 vert in person would the be room in the front to fit a dog crate big enough for two dogs. ( or two small dog crates) The two dogs are about 30 pounds each.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:28 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by gmwindsor
2014 Corvette Convertible
Perfect choice for a dog crate & 2 30lb dogs
Not to mention back & knee problems!
Have you considered a Dodge Caravan?
I have own and driven Vettes for 45 years I got injured in 98 and have let that stop me from doing what I love. I don't lay down and feel sorry for myself because I happen to be in pai 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I have been living in pain for over 20 years without giving up and feeling sorry for myself. I do feel sorry for people that give up on life and allow pain to control their life.

There are some days I am in so much pain I can't move but what get me thru it all is looking forward to the days when the pain levels are low enough to allow me to enjoy doing what I love to do. I may have a great day but at the end of the day I will literally collapse from pain but all the fun I had is worth the suffering I will be doing at the end of the day
Old 11-11-2013, 12:28 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't put a cage in the back of a coupe; too much risk of it sliding into the window.

They haven't ridden in my Vette but if they did it would be on the front passenger floor.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupe and Convertible have same seats and passenger area in terms of evaluating if there is enough room in the front.

I have seen dog "seatbelt" harnesses that can be used to keep dogs from sliding off of the seats in a hard stop. However, I think they clip into the child seat LATCH anchors, and I think I saw that the Corvette doesn't have those.

Instead of a crate in the back, I would suggest the Coupe with a divider cage between the rear of the coupe and the passenger area (like a police car) and just let the dogs have the whole back of the coupe area. You may need to have something custom fabricated or adapt something sold for small crossover vehicles. Tint the heck out of the rear window so the nose prints don't show so much and to keep them cooler back there (obviously don't leave them back there when parked).

Check out some of these for ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...G+CAR+SUV+AUTO

Coupe with the top off is probably just as "windy" as the convertibles - just doesn't look quite the same.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably better off with a convertible since you can stack the dog crates on top of each other 2, 3 or even 4 high.

The "top dog" will love the breeze.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Slammedc5..
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cruised around alot with my 105lb German shepherd in my c5 and c6. Not in a crate though. He would either lay in the back or sit up front. Be prepared for some scratches on the console, slober on the window and lots of vacuuming.he's comfortable, if my wife goes with me the dog rarely goes. Its no big deal to me. Its just a car. As long as my passengers are comfortable doesn't matter if their human or k-9
Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I was able to get a medium-sized crate in the passenger seat of my C5 with a 25# Jack Russell in it for trips to the vet. I'm not sure how you'd be able to accommodate two larger dogs though. They may fit in one carrier, but not sure if the C7 would hold it or not.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammedc5..
I have cruised around alot with my 105lb German shepherd in my c5 and c6. Not in a crate though. He would either lay in the back or sit up front. Be prepared for some scratches on the console, slober on the window and lots of vacuuming.he's comfortable, if my wife goes with me the dog rarely goes. Its no big deal to me. Its just a car. As long as my passengers are comfortable doesn't matter if their human or k-9
I'm using Dad's computer now. He just puts a towel across the console (behind shifter) and tucks it in on the sides to protect the console for when I walk across it to get in the back or the driver's seat. Regards, Loha.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

First off Chesty says "Semper Fi" ,

I have a 80 Lb German Shepherd still growing , sorry dogs dont fit in convertibles .. u need a Subaru, (my dog vehicle ) works for me
Happy Marine Corps birthday ( yesterday ) & Veterans day ...

The Dog "Woof"
Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMN
Coupe and Convertible have same seats and passenger area in terms of evaluating if there is enough room in the front.

I have seen dog "seatbelt" harnesses that can be used to keep dogs from sliding off of the seats in a hard stop. However, I think they clip into the child seat LATCH anchors, and I think I saw that the Corvette doesn't have those.

Instead of a crate in the back, I would suggest the Coupe with a divider cage between the rear of the coupe and the passenger area (like a police car) and just let the dogs have the whole back of the coupe area. You may need to have something custom fabricated or adapt something sold for small crossover vehicles. Tint the heck out of the rear window so the nose prints don't show so much and to keep them cooler back there (obviously don't leave them back there when parked).

Check out some of these for ideas:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...G+CAR+SUV+AUTO

Coupe with the top off is probably just as "windy" as the convertibles - just doesn't look quite the same.
The coupe with the top off is much more windy than the vert.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

I have own and driven Vettes for 45 years I got injured in 98 and have let that stop me from doing what I love. I don't lay down and feel sorry for myself because I happen to be in pai 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I have been living in pain for over 20 years without giving up and feeling sorry for myself. I do feel sorry for people that give up on life and allow pain to control their life.

There are some days I am in so much pain I can't move but what get me thru it all is looking forward to the days when the pain levels are low enough to allow me to enjoy doing what I love to do. I may have a great day but at the end of the day I will literally collapse from pain but all the fun I had is worth the suffering I will be doing at the end of the day
Thank you for your service. Have a great Veterans Day and hope the pain management is tolerable today!

Get notified of new replies

To I am not having second thoughts or regretting my decision to get a vert but

Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another idea: If the dogs will be your only passengers in the convertible, you could have the passenger seat removed to make a bit more room for them.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by DonOH
I wouldn't put a cage in the back of a coupe; too much risk of it sliding into the window.

They haven't ridden in my Vette but if they did it would be on the front passenger floor.
I already ordered a Vert, I just could not bring myself to get a Coupe. In the 7 years I had those dogs we have never been apart
. Now that I made the decision I am trying to figure out how to make it work and I am coming to the conclusion I may have to leave my dogs home.

I have short leashed the dogs in my Volt all the time but never did it when the car is moving. I tie them up when I leave them in the car to keep them from jumping around when I am away.

I just got back home from a doctors appointment and it became obvious that I have spoiled these dogs. As soon as they saw me gathering up my stuff to go they started getting all excited because they truly enjoy going in the car.

One way I contributed to the problem was to train the dogs to go for rides when they were pups. Some dogs have a fear of car and even get sit so I wanted to train them to get used to going for a ride. The whole thing kind of backfired on me because now they like the car so much they hate being left home.

I would love to continue bring them with me everywhere I go but I may have to re-train my dogs.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for your service The other protection I use for Loha is a $20.00 slip on, slip off seat cover from O'Reilly's. Figure out a way to take your best friends along if it can reasonably be accomplished. The happiness it brings them is multiplied by your joy in doing so. It IS just a car after all

I already ordered a Vert, I just could not bring myself to get a Coupe. In the 7 years I had those dogs we have never been apart
. Now that I made the decision I am trying to figure out how to make it work and I am coming to the conclusion I may have to leave my dogs home.

I have short leashed the dogs in my Volt all the time but never did it when the car is moving. I tie them up when I leave them in the car to keep them from jumping around when I am away.

I just got back home from a doctors appointment and it became obvious that I have spoiled these dogs. As soon as they saw me gathering up my stuff to go they started getting all excited because they truly enjoy going in the car.

One way I contributed to the problem was to train the dogs to go for rides when they were pups. Some dogs have a fear of car and even get sit so I wanted to train them to get used to going for a ride. The whole thing kind of backfired on me because now they like the car so much they hate being left home.

I would love to continue bring them with me everywhere I go but I may have to re-train my dogs.

Quick Reply: I am not having second thoughts or regretting my decision to get a vert but