Sponsored by:

Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I think what's frustrating for a lot of us is that many have/had C6s with good paint and panel fitment, and what we're seeing with the C7 is a marked, obvious and disturbing step back in finish quality and panel fitment.

Personally I'm also concerned that if the plant doesn't correct this it will only be a matter of time before some rag doing a comparison test blows up the C7's review based on these issues. When that happens, the Corvette will suffer a perception hit that will be quite difficult to reverse, which will be a darned shame given what a great sports car it otherwise is.

This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of the 7.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think what's frustrating for a lot of us is that many have/had C6s with good paint and panel fitment, and what we're seeing with the C7 is a marked, obvious and disturbing step back in finish quality and panel fitment.

Personally I'm also concerned that if the plant doesn't correct this it will only be a matter of time before some rag doing a comparison test blows up the C7's review based on these issues. When that happens, the Corvette will suffer a perception hit that will be quite difficult to reverse, which will be a darned shame given what a great sports car it otherwise is.

I hate to agree but I do. What we don't know is what percentage of cars have issues as mostly folks will only create a thread when there is a problem and those with great cars are silent. My personal bet is the vast majority of cars are completely fine from a build perspective BUT these problems are still troubling.

I have little doubt that GM is still working out kinks and these issues will largely be forgotten soon enough (hopefully by the time I get my car) but it still leaves owners with problems with a sour taste in their mouths and it gives some of the negative folks (who largely don't even own the car) something to create internet chatter with... neither a good result for GM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I'd would really love to see some pics from C7 owners who have rear bumpers that fit perfectly on both sides, top and bottom. I don't believe they exist. Please prove me wrong and show me that this is the exception and has only happened on the 11 cars I've seen...... as well as on the others posted on this forum:
There are plenty of examples of poor paint or panel fit but this one of a pearl white show C7 should not be used. This was a one of a kind custom pearl white paint job done by a wheel company not GM. The car was more then likely taken apart, painted, and reassembled by a custom body shop not GM. This example excuses possible bad bumper alignment because a body shop not GM reassembled the car. It does not excuse GM for a improperly shaped or formed bumper skin if that was indeed the cause of the poor fit. On this car we don't know because so much was done to it after it was sold.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 11-11-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I hate to agree but I do. What we don't know is what percentage of cars have issues as mostly folks will only create a thread when there is a problem and those with great cars are silent. My personal bet is the vast majority of cars are completely fine from a build perspective BUT these problems are still troubling.

I have little doubt that GM is still working out kinks and these issues will largely be forgotten soon enough (hopefully by the time I get my car) but it still leaves owners with problems with a sour taste in their mouths and it gives some of the negative folks (who largely don't even own the car) something to create internet chatter with... neither a good result for GM.

I agree Gthal. I'm hopeful these are short-lived issues.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Bowling Green had better get on top of this stuff asap.

it's almost like GM moved Corvette production back to St. Louis
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks like the poster unfortunately has some real issues here, whereas many of us were lucky enough to have none. What I don't understand is this. I see this forum as an information sharing opportunity, not the place for b*t#h sessions, which so many of these threads become. Harping on what crap GM puts out in a thread is useless and misleading. Sounds like the OP already knows it makes sense to let others know there are these problems out there. Next step is to work with GM to get these issues resolved. For those just waiting to pounce on any issue or complaint to rip up GM - think about that. You really want to keep sending people to Porsche and other foreign builders when this new vette is so kick @$$ and worthy? AND IT IS. Car in my driveway is hands down the best car I've ever owned, and may be the best I've ever driven.

Last edited by harmonyp; 11-11-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

The C6 had its share of issues too, but the C7 was supposed to be GM's shot at producing not only a car with world class performance, but also one with world class build quality. That's what they said before the car was officially introduced.

I've owned three Vettes, two of them C6's, so I have some familiarity with the brand. Fit and finish ... build quality ... was never the Vette's strong point. Styling and performance at an affordable price point has always been the core value of this car but, to stay competitive, GM really had to up their game. The C7, I believe, has the potential to do that. Many of the shortcomings of the C6, an already exceptional car, have been addressed. The problem, as it too often has been, seems to be poor quality control on sub contracted components. On top of that, we're also seeing some really questionable fit and finish issues, as well as problems in the paint room. I think the design of the car is solid, but I did expect that Bowling Green would be very careful in getting out problem free cars. The C7 is under a microscope now, as the whole car world awaited its release. GM can simply not afford to have their C7 customers complaining about so many issues ... granted, most minor, but some quite serious.

While I would assume that the majority of new C7's have not had many issues at all, that's not really the point. The fact that the issues that are being reported are related to poor QC is troublesome. There's really no excuse for this and makes some of us wonder if new owners are nothing more than beta testers for the C7. Again, I think the C7 will turn out to be the finest Vette ever produced, but I can't help feeling that not all the production issues had been worked out prior to its release.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by StanNH
The C6 had its share of issues too, but the C7 was supposed to be GM's shot at producing not only a car with world class performance, but also one with world class build quality. That's what they said before the car was officially introduced.

I've owned three Vettes, two of them C6's, so I have some familiarity with the brand. Fit and finish ... build quality ... was never the Vette's strong point. Styling and performance at an affordable price point has always been the core value of this car but, to stay competitive, GM really had to up their game. The C7, I believe, has the potential to do that. Many of the shortcomings of the C6, an already exceptional car, have been addressed. The problem, as it too often has been, seems to be poor quality control on sub contracted components. On top of that, we're also seeing some really questionable fit and finish issues, as well as problems in the paint room. I think the design of the car is solid, but I did expect that Bowling Green would be very careful in getting out problem free cars. The C7 is under a microscope now, as the whole car world awaited its release. GM can simply not afford to have their C7 customers complaining about so many issues ... granted, most minor, but some quite serious.

While I would assume that the majority of new C7's have not had many issues at all, that's not really the point. The fact that the issues that are being reported are related to poor QC is troublesome. There's really no excuse for this and makes some of us wonder if new owners are nothing more than beta testers for the C7. Again, I think the C7 will turn out to be the finest Vette ever produced, but I can't help feeling that not all the production issues had been worked out prior to its release.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
The fact that the issues that are being reported are related to poor QC is troublesome.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

I am a huge C7 fan also. I am hoping these Quality problems are first year issues and are resolved asap.

I have had a couple of C6 also. It's hard to say without having cars side to side to compare. I do not own the C6 anymore. To be honest, on average, I am not 100% sure if all the body panels like the bumper to fender alignment was actually better then some C7s I have seen? I have to admit there have been a few pictures of C7s that had severe misalignment issues with lights or panels that never should have made it out of Bowling Green. All cars will have some sort of orange peel and different colors make it more obvious. Some C7 looked OK and others were really bad.

My concern is the lack of Quality Control at Bowling Green. What is most disturbing to me are the pictures of some of the gross paint flaws, the butcher attempts to touch up or repair by GM, and the lack of Quality Control that let these cars out of the factory. Some of these obvious sub-par repairs on a brand new car are horrendous and yet someone at the factory felt it was OK to release the cars for shipment. A blind person would have detected some of these gross flaws. I have to wonder what other gross problems might be over looked in areas you can't see? Is everyone at the factory blind or does not care? I don't think so. It starts at the top, Bowling Green needs to revise what ever Quality Control is going on and find the problems and correct them asap.

You make a excellent point about a magazine reporting about these initial quality issues. It is not only Consumer Reports or JD Powers. This forum and the internet will influence buyers. Younger buyers are way more internet savvy. They will search and end up at a forum like this one and read and research about the C7. Perception will not be good if more and more threads about poor paint, panel fit, electrical issues, mechanical issues keep popping up.

These internet savvy buyers are important. A example of GM wanting to change the Corvette image. GM wants a younger demographic interested in the C7 because the traditional Vette buyer was aging and perception for Corvettes was that it was a old mans car. The C7 is supposed to be the car that GM is trying to change that image with. Here is a quote from GM...John Fitzpatrick, Corvette's marketing manager said "It's the old saying, 'Nobody wants to be seen driving an old man's car, but everybody wants to be seen driving a young man's car.' "

Hopefully these quality issues are first year teething issues. I really hope things change soon. I would like for GM to be successful, for the C7 to be successful. I also really would like to order one but am reluctant to buy until Bowling Green gets it's house in order. I have hope and know it is possible because my previous C6 were great cars.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you think Gm would care? Do they care about us folks with LS7's that are ticking time bombs?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
LMAO. Why would I remove the headlight for? You obviously didn't see someone else post the same thing on another C7.

PLUS. If I did, which I didn't. How the HECK did I get dried paint to "wrinkle up?" You must have bumped your head.

Sorry, I just just noticed the paint issue. Just so you can get your facts straight. I did NOT remove my Taillights.
Tadge...I mean Ox has a hard time accepting these things!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Guibo
I'm inclined to agree, but have some reservation as 2 out of those 25 ebay cars seemed to have good panel fit. (It's possible that high-res pics would reveal something different, however.) And there has been one show car that was abnormally good, this one that stopped by at the Peterson Museum:
All sizes | 2014 Corvette 006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The panel fit and paint finish on that car is impeccable, with consistently tight gaps front and rear, totally flush headlights (many I've seen are raised a little, though nothing like the OP's experience), tight and consistent gaps around the doors and hood. GM might learn a lot if they tear that car down. Could be a one-off, as I've never seen another show car or customer car that looked that good. Generally, if the fascia fits tight at the wheel well, you either get inconsistent gaps lending a "warped" look, or you get a gap that keeps expanding toward the spoiler, like this:
All sizes | IMG_6882 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I could "fist" the gap on that 2nd pic!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
There are plenty of examples of poor paint or panel fit but this one of a pearl white show C7 should not be used. This was a one of a kind custom pearl white paint job done by a wheel company not GM. The car was more then likely taken apart, painted, and reassembled by a custom body shop not GM. This example excuses possible bad bumper alignment because a body shop not GM reassembled the car. It does not excuse GM for a improperly shaped or formed bumper skin if that was indeed the cause of the poor fit. On this car we don't know because so much was done to it after it was sold.

Okay. Do these wonderful examples of world class craftsmanship work for you? Now lets see some similar close up pics from owners of cars with perfect panel alignment.
Attached Images   

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 11-11-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

I agree Gthal. I'm hopeful these are short-lived issues.
Can you imagine these issues on the 85k-95k Hi-po models coming?
This needs to get fixed fast!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
I'm inclined to agree, but have some reservation as 2 out of those 25 ebay cars seemed to have good panel fit. (It's possible that high-res pics would reveal something different, however.) And there has been one show car that was abnormally good, this one that stopped by at the Peterson Museum:
All sizes | 2014 Corvette 006 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The panel fit and paint finish on that car is impeccable, with consistently tight gaps front and rear, totally flush headlights (many I've seen are raised a little, though nothing like the OP's experience), tight and consistent gaps around the doors and hood. GM might learn a lot if they tear that car down. Could be a one-off, as I've never seen another show car or customer car that looked that good. Generally, if the fascia fits tight at the wheel well, you either get inconsistent gaps lending a "warped" look, or you get a gap that keeps expanding toward the spoiler, like this:
All sizes | IMG_6882 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The rear fascia on that grey car looks perfect....which makes it even more frustrating that GM doesn't build every car to this standard.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

I wonder what the vin numbers are for these issues? I wonder if a lot of these are earlier vins? My vin is 4525, its TR, and I seriously have no paint issues, no fit or trim issues at all. They ARE either fixing the early run issues or I'm just lucky. Maybe we should start looking at that?

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
I would contend that a customizing shop would have far more time to get the panel to fit correctly than a worker on an assembly line who's under a time constraint. Probably even more than the 20 minutes that a car spends at each station in a Ferrari factory (though Ferrari will stop the line if that worker can't get the job done in 20 minutes). Putting it back together correctly has got to be peanuts compared to prepping, painting, and clearcoating those panels.

Originally Posted by gthal
Conversely, some of those who have said they have great or perfect cars actually have cars with some of these defects. If you want a truly random sampling free of bias, just check ebay listings. Or check the show cars that are doing the rounds of auto shows, ALMS and concours d'elegance events. Just about every single one of them has panel or paint issues. As do many if not all of the vehicles being used by GM explicitly for the purposes of media promotion. Check one such example from a recent round of media releases by GM, apparently done around August when the cars were at media events around Monterey:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/carfanatics/10048422105/sizes/k/http://www.flickr.com/photos/carfanatics/10048613153/sizes/k/
Another car used for media promotion, this time in edmunds's muliple car comparison:
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ch...03132_1600.jpg
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ch...03131_1600.jpg

If cars specifically designed to showcase the Corvette's precision quality has panel fit problems, odds are going to be pretty good that production cars that don't get the same kind of attention will have similar or worse issues. If it's any consolation, mag tester tend to not be so critical; that same silver test car had leather peeling away from the seat frame, yet edmunds was mum on it.

I do think the vast majority of issues will be resolved once production levels out. GM pumped out an ungodly amount of C7s last month. Something's gotta give.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

This thread has run its course...IB4TL....
Old 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
This thread has run its course...IB4TL....
Closing it does not fix the problem!

Quick Reply: Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling