Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by romaja
Greetings,

Despite people supplying you evidence of many different cars with fitment issues and orange peel, you still seem dismissive and wont accept the fact that a great number of these cars have problems. Somehow these people are complainers and are not Corvette enthusiasts.

Your constant drum beat of “it's not that bad” rings hollow. You received your car and it is acceptable to you. Glad to hear.

A great many have received their cars and are not happy and with good reason. This can be a stressful time for a new owner. Must of us accept the fact that mechanical issues come up. What is alarming is I see a car with a #3500 number with acceptable paint, then I see another one #4000 that has glaring QC issues. It appears it is not just the first ones off the line.

Your allegations above suggesting that many of the forum member won't be buying and are only present to "rattle some nerves" could not be farther from the truth. I for one, have placed a deposit down on a 2015 C7 through a dealership in Kellogg ID. The dealership is a member on the forum. I suppose I could contact him and supply you with proof although you don't seem to deal with proof and factual data very well. Please let me know and I will do my best to supply you with this.

When it is time to order my car, I will be clear with the dealership as to what my expectations will be. I don't want him to be disappointed and I don't want be disappointed either. If the paint is as good as my neighbor's Chevy Spark, I will be happy. But a bad paint issue will follow me around like herpes. It never goes away, all the way up to the sale of the car or trade in. Many of the forum members have a long history of ownership, many have owned 10+ Corvettes and some 20. Most don't like what they see and I trust their judgement. Knowledge is power. I like to be informed and that is why I am here.

Upon delivery, if the car looks like it was painted and assembled by a high school shop class, I will be forced to refuse it. That said, I will be disappointed as I really want the car.

I could accept an inferior car and “shuffle to the train with my head down” but I would be doing a disservice to future Corvette owners and the GM name.

You unknowingly seem to advocate against yourself by allowing GM to deem this as an acceptable practice. Very shortsighted, indeed. The change will need to come from the top of the company. This forum contains many repeat customers and their vote counts. Hopefully GM is listening. This forum has the capacity to make a change.

Find some charity in your heart and compassion for your fellow brethren who have taken delivery and experienced problems and also the people who have orders in with justifiable anxiety. They are the future of GM.
This is well written. However, I would still recommend the forum Ignore list. There are some people who see the world and black and white, and can't see shades of gray, or orange peel, or body fit issues. No amount of logic and convincing will change their belief of "It's new so it has to be better" (and resort to attacking people), when, in fact, aspects of it (e.g. build quality) are far worse than a 14 year old C5.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 11-14-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM
petedel
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
This is well written. However, I would still recommend the forum Ignore list. There are some people who see the world and black and white, and can't see shades of gray, or orange peel, or body fit issues. No amount of logic and convincing will change their belief of "It's new so it has to be better" (and resort to attacking people), when, in fact, aspects of it (e.g. build quality) are far worse than a 14 year old C5.

Michael
Michael

Take a look at the 2014 Corvette Website. Quotes from the first page:

"Precision that knows no Equal"

"Worthy of the Stingray Emblem"

These are Chevy's own goals for the new Corvette.

I bought into the hype and expect Chevy to deliver me a car that has an acceptable paint job. I don't expect show car quality, but some of the examples of 2014 paint jobs I have seen on this forum and in person are no where close to what Chevy says they are selling.

The design and performance of the seem to me to be "Worthy of the Stingray Emblem"

The paint quality to date is certainly not worthy, and in the near future, I really hope that Chevy makes adjustments so everyone buying the next Corvette gets a good paint job.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Cancelled my order this morning. My 09 is a great car and I think I will wait for the bugs to get worked out in the C7. Maybe next year.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SRQVelocityyellow
Cancelled my order this morning. My 09 is a great car and I think I will wait for the bugs to get worked out in the C7. Maybe next year.
So less than a half hour of calling to cancel, the dealer calls and said the car is on the assembly line. This is the first and only call I have gotten from the dealer since placing the order. I think someone ordering a Spark from my dealership would have a better dealer experience. I guess when it comes in, I will go see it. I am still leaning heavily toward waiting until next year.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So less than a half hour of calling to cancel, the dealer calls and said the car is on the assembly line. This is the first and only call I have gotten from the dealer since placing the order. I think someone ordering a Spark from my dealership would have a better dealer experience. I guess when it comes in, I will go see it. I am still leaning heavily toward waiting until next year.
I understand your apprehension. Keep us posted!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding the C7 roller coaster up and down. Very excited when I first saw a C7 in person. I even gave GM the benefit of the doubt when I saw some flaws on early cars. Then I see some of the gross rejects that Bowling Green released to new owners. Then I read about great reviews until the part where the writer mentions the antifreeze misting the engine due to a loose clamp. Then I read about new C7 owners having no issues. Only to be let down by reading a thread about new issues.

I have been uber excited to order a C7 but decided to wait for the QA issues to be resolved. You already ordered. Maybe wait and go see the car you ordered. Make a list of the common quality issues, mechanical and electrical issues and take it with you to the dealer. Try not letting new car emotions overrun you. Take a friend who knows cars and has a good eye. Take your time inspecting the car. I saw some good ones waiting to be delivered at the NCM so I know they can build good ones. Time is on your side, quality should go up as every day passes. Maybe yours will be a good one. You can always walk away if the car is not up to your personal expectations. I hope you are pleasantly surprised!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
Take a friend who knows cars and has a good eye.
This is good advice. The friend will not likely be overwhelmed with "new car fever". I have a friend who can spot defects from 100 yards. He's a perfectionist. Maybe you know someone like this.

Michael
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it. I'm sure your car will end up fine.

Hopefully GM has been monitoring this thread and listen to the concerns that owners / potential owners are voicing and have relayed it to the proper departments so that they can improve the paint / fitment and QC process.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:07 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Update about the front fender paint issue.

Per GM Tech Support they are stating that there is excess material left behind from the mold.

Solution:

Sand and apply touch up paint. We will see how it looks.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,552 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz

Per GM Tech Support they are stating that there is excess material left behind from the mold.

Solution:

It better be perfect and I find it hard to believe sand and touch up can get it 100%....

If it isn't 100% perfect I would not accept the car back. That is BS
Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
It better be perfect and I find it hard to believe sand and touch up can get it 100%....

If it isn't 100% perfect I would not accept the car back. That is BS
They assured me that I won't be able to tell that it's been touched up.

I wish I had those touch-up skills. We will see!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:25 PM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Sorry, not buying it. It doesn't look like paint missing at all to me. It looks like some material in between the fender and the light. After all the complaining you've been doing, you are just now seeing this?
Thats PAINT coming off this C7 plain and simple~
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All should read this post on another forum, how after he repainted his C7 for SEMA, the GM folks paid him a visit to find out how he fixed the huge GAP between 3rd brake light and bumper ..

POST # 17 at: https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...d.php?t=325558
Old 11-15-2013, 02:04 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thespymaster
All should read this post on another forum, how after he repainted his C7 for SEMA, the GM folks paid him a visit to find out how he fixed the huge GAP between 3rd brake light and bumper ..

POST # 17 at: https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...d.php?t=325558
Link appears to be dead.

Michael
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by thespymaster
Thats PAINT coming off this C7 plain and simple~

Here's my take on this defect...high demand for the C7 leads to pressure on the factory to speed up the newly designed paint line. Decision is made to run the line at a higher speed that prevents complete drying of the final rinse before paint is applied. The panels are in the vertical position, blow dryers are drying the panels but some water remains at the bottom lip. A teardrop is formed upon which subsequent paint cannot fully cover the panel. The paint cures to a bubbly defect, later the water evaporates and leaves the gremlin the OP discovers later on. Still should have been noticed by the plant's many inspections before leaving facility.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Solution:

This is BS and totally unacceptable!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

E-mailed GM to inquire about my Corvette order. Turns out, the car is NOT on the assembly line as my salesman claimed yesterday. It is only a gleam in GM's eye. My dealership pisses me off!

Get notified of new replies

To Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling

Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM
HPmarkjustinc7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all part of a first year...remember the 05

At the end...its worth it.....I am pretty much the only C7 I ever see
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HPmarkjustinc7
It's all part of a first year...remember the 05

At the end...its worth it.....I am pretty much the only C7 I ever see
I have had no issues like this with my 05.

Still happy I bought a C7, that is for now.... LOL
Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,579 Likes on 665 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

They assured me that I won't be able to tell that it's been touched up.

I wish I had those touch-up skills. We will see!
Be sure that they use DuPont clear over the metallic touch up paint. It's in a tough spot, so they will probably take the headlight out to do the sanding, then touch it up, let it dry, wetsand and polish when it's dry. It should look better though, IF they do it RIGHT. Post before and after pics when its done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Yet another paint flaw. Paint peeling / flaking / bubbling