Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And it begins... Service Rear Axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I hope 6815 is not affected. Picking it up tomorrow and have a 570 mile drive home.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I would want a new rear end if the fluid was low, period, regardless if noise was not present.

I imagine I would be hard pressed to get it though.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Gang FYI,

The eLSD (electronic Limited Slip Diff) has a separate hydraulic system to control limited slip function. If the fluid is low it will trigger this message. If the code is in history it is likely the initial bleed function was not completed successfully. The system will auto bleed after a battery disconnect for 5 minutes. If you do not want to take your car to the dealership for this, pull the positive battery cable and leve it off for 10 minutes, then reconnect it. There were only a few cases reported where the hydraulic side of the diff has a porous condition so the hydraulic fluid seeps into the diff side. When this happens the hydraulic side gets air in the system and then is sets the service rear axle message. It’s not the differential but the limited slip side. If the case is porous then the diff has to be replaced, so rest assured it is easily remedied. Currently its only serviced as an exchange so GM ships out a complete diff and then the dealership returns the old one to be analyzed.

Mike

thanks for this info; do we know what the car does while this light is on? open diff default? what does it do with the AHS?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear diff. casting is partitioned and is designed to keep the two fluids (hyd. oil and hypoid grease) separate? I would have thought that the hyd. component would have been a stand alone sealed system.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Update,

Dropped off the car last week for this issue as well as a few other items and got my car back a week later.

They checked the levels and topped it off.

2300 miles on the ODO and I got the message again.

This time I was backing up with the steering wheel turned and heard and felt a slight clunk, felt like it was in the steering rack but maybe it was from the rear end?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:39 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Update,

Dropped off the car last week for this issue as well as a few other items and got my car back a week later.

This time I was backing up with the steering wheel turned and heard and felt a slight clunk, felt like it was in the steering rack but maybe it was from the rear end?
I just got mines back yesterday and I was having same issues. My car has been in the shop for this twice. a total of 11 days.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a feeling this is why the Z51 option is now so limited for production I think they pulled back production until they can validate this issue.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tonybsr
I just got mines back yesterday and I was having same issues. My car has been in the shop for this twice. a total of 11 days.
What did they do to your car to "fix" the issue?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouB57
I am Vin #698, and was told by customer service that my car "Is on the List"

bringing it in Friday..Luckily, I have been so busy, and traveling, that I put a whopping 60 miles on the car so far LOL

Hopefully, worst case...it needs to be topped off.Obvioulsy , its hardly been driven

Back from the Dealer. all is well, no Issues. Weird, how, even though they say it is a range of Vins, and the lower ones, I've seen people with much higher VIN#s have the issue, and low ones like mine not (698)

Still exhibiting the flaky dimming feature of the screen during dusk/overcast driving conditions. I guess I will wait for the rumored 'flash' to fix that one..
Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM
dirty eddie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got mine back today (11/22). Dealer had it a week. Invoice list 2 codes C0393 61 and C0414 58. Installed a new LSD module/pump assembly and performed bleed procedure. So far no "service rear axil" light.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM
RandallJ
5th Gear

Driving on the highway and I got this Service Rear Axle message.

No check engine light and the Onstar rep says my AWD system needs to be serviced. LOL

My fluid levels were checked at PDI.

What were the fixes for the others that got that light?

Update:
11/21/13

Thanks for all the detailed information as it is good to know that others have worked through this issue. I just backed out of my garage as I have not started the car in a month and received the same message with a whopping 10 miles on the odometer. Have not even driven the car and my first issue. I guess my first drive, when the weather improves, will be back to the dealership. I hope this does not become a trend!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RandallJ
Thanks for all the detailed information as it is good to know that others have worked through this issue. I just backed out of my garage as I have not started the car in a month and received the same message with a whopping 10 miles on the odometer. Have not even driven the car and my first issue. I guess my first drive, when the weather improves, will be back to the dealership. I hope this does not become a trend!
Check your battery terminals and see if they are loose.

That's what they said my issue was. I've only logged 300 miles or so since I got it back so I can't say for sure if it's fixed.

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM
RandallJ
5th Gear

That's what they said my issue was. I've only logged 300 miles or so since I got it back so I can't say for sure if it's fixed.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the terminals out to see if that resolves the issue.

Last edited by RandallJ; 12-29-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Good luck!
Did the dealer mention if they "cleared" the CEL or if it went out as a result of the battery disconnect?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chip A
Did the dealer mention if they "cleared" the CEL or if it went out as a result of the battery disconnect?
I never got a CEL. The codes were stored internally. They said my messages were a result of low voltage.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
ndotti
Intermediate

Default Recall?

Maybe it is because of my specific VIN, but I went to chevrolet.com, where I'd registered the vehicle under "ownership," and it tells me there are no recalls for the car.

Anyone have a recall ID or other info for this issue?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 501 Posts
Tech Contributor

there have been no recalls for the 14 vette, only bulletins and service actions...

Get notified of new replies

To And it begins... Service Rear Axle

Old 12-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Socom125
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Service light for rear axle: I had the same problem on 26 Dec and took it to the dealership. Below is the the synopsis on my customer copy of work done.

Cause: Poor Connection 5430922 Check for codes, CO407, U0415, U4042B, B255A, Per Bulletin PI1135, Repaired Connection at Pump ASSY, Retest OK.

Everything seems to be working fine.

Last edited by Socom125; 12-30-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:31 PM
youngie56
7th Gear

Similar thing except car was undriveable, rear end started to shake, car started running rough, glided over to side of Garden State Parkway and engine stalled. restarted for a sec and stalled again. Towed to Schumacher. Will advise.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm glad someone dredged this thread up yesterday, because I got the recall.

Just took car in for first oil change, took delivery in December, and was told today I had the rear recall. I said, what what what? Never got the recall. It was issued, she said, in November, so maybe something got lost in the transfer of car to me, maybe they already checked it, who knows. Waited with anticipation for their report, and it was full. Whew!

Also, I got the first oil change no questions asked, even though I still had over 50% oil life, contrary to what others had experienced. Good dealer on that issue.

Quick Reply: And it begins... Service Rear Axle