C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fdxpilot FYI Ihave a new ctek charger model MUS 4.3 It does the complete job. 8 status positions including a full charge and float or pulse. Check it out.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Does the new C6.5 Corvette have a AGM type battery or does it have a battery left over from the C6? If so that would be another part that is not new in the car.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Where did you find the charging post? Looked for it and assumed there was a jump start post like most cars with a rear battery- Could not find it.
I looked and cannot find where to connect. I expect it is near the fuse box. It would be cumbersome to open the hatch and pull up the carpet in the dark to jump start.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by billsblue73
Thanks for all the responses. I'm pretty sure it was not in accessory mode. That was the first thought I had on the first evening. I will say that only one indicator makes it harder to be certain if it was in accessory mode. The C6 had two. But the little light on the push button start was off.

Anyway, I had them send a flatbed to pick it up. When we pulled up the carpet to hook up their charger, it showed completely dead, and even after several minutes and several tries, nothing. Finally, when they were about to put jacks under the wheels, a small dash light came on. After waiting a few minutes, the over head lights blinked on and off. Tried to push the start button, a little beeping, and then a message that the fob was missing. I put the fob in the slot next to the steering column and was able to get it to crank slowly and finally start. No dash, entertainment, or instrument lights except, alternator problem, even though the engine was running. It is at the dealer and the sales manager has called to say he will personally see that everything is fixed properly. And they will return the car to me. I had them bring a loaner when they picked the Vette up.

Forgot to mention, that even with the battery charger there was nothing until they shook the battery and cables around. Loose battery cable? bad battery? I hope they can find something and get it back quickly.

As an aside, and probably mentioned by others, needing to pull the carpet to get to the battery is very POOR design. Why not a compartment for the battery like the C3 had? I am 100% positive the carpet will not look the same as before having to pull it up. And why not a place under the hood to jump from. My Jaguars have the batteries in the trunk or under the back seat, but they have a place under the bonnet to attach to jump or charge.
It's not unusual that when the battery is dead that jumping it with a charger or even another car it's not going to start right up. You have to leave it on the charger for a few minutes and then it will take off.

Regardless of what they determine your problem was/is and they fix it. Don't waste your money on a maintainer. Add a few more bucks and get a good multipurpose charger. Give yourself the option of just using it as a maintainer, but when needed you can fast charge and/or jump start your car with it. Trust me, you will be glad that you did.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

As an aside, and probably mentioned by others, needing to pull the carpet to get to the battery is very POOR design. Why not a compartment for the battery like the C3 had? I am 100% positive the carpet will not look the same as before having to pull it up. And why not a place under the hood to jump from. My Jaguars have the batteries in the trunk or under the back seat, but they have a place under the bonnet to attach to jump or charge.
That is an excellent idea. The battery is in the corner and a compartment like the one on the left should be easy to do.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 537 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by green2000
That is an excellent idea. The battery is in the corner and a compartment like the one on the left should be easy to do.
I agree 100% but here is what the engineers would say (as BMW techs have said it to me - they have the same non compartment)

"changing a battery is a thing of the past as battery technology and the energy monitors/systems built into the car keep the batt in much better shape than before"

sounds similar to the Titanic tech talk before leaving Liverpool...
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
CO Pman
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6Tim
It's not unusual that when the battery is dead that jumping it with a charger or even another car it's not going to start right up. You have to leave it on the charger for a few minutes and then it will take off.

Regardless of what they determine your problem was/is and they fix it. Don't waste your money on a maintainer. Add a few more bucks and get a good multipurpose charger. Give yourself the option of just using it as a maintainer, but when needed you can fast charge and/or jump start your car with it. Trust me, you will be glad that you did.
Hey Tim, I like your thoughts along these lines, makes sense.

I was just about to purchase maybe a CTEK 3300, but would you have any specific recommendations for a more versatile charger? Thanks a lot!

P
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Ron Mangini
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open the Rear Hatch

Your "Key FOB" has a key that fits into the lock just to the right of the right-rear license light, you have to look good for it, it is a little hidden and tucked-away, but you will see it..... press the release button on your Key FOB to release the key.....
Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by sam90lx
New car, dead battery.....nice GM!

Batteries from Korea?
There is only one smelter left in the US making lead so the EPA has forced all battery manufacturing off shore. It is a small miracle that our cars are made in the USA.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

So they return the car Wednesday evening. I have them park in my garage. Thursday morning I drive my other car to work. Get home and decide to take the Vette out for a ride. Put in reverse and no backup camera. But I do have the guidelines. No option to turn camera on or off. Appears when they replaced the tail light module they either disconnected or broke the connection to the camera. When I picked the car up last Friday the camera was working. The service people must have seen it was not working when they had it in the shop. So, I get to waste a few more hours getting it back to them to fix their screw up.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
HLH
Instructor

Test the key operated rear hatch release now to make sure the link from the lock to the latch has been installed. You don't want to find it is missing when the battery goes DEAD and that's the only way you can get into the car on that rainy night. If your battery is good, the alarm will probably sound during your test because the car will think it's being stolen. At least that's how my C5 and C6s worked. I'll test my C7 during MY comprehensive delivery inspection mid-Dec. This forum has really helped flesh out my list which was already pretty long from experience with 3 Vettes.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:19 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So they return the car Wednesday evening. I have them park in my garage. Thursday morning I drive my other car to work. Get home and decide to take the Vette out for a ride. Put in reverse and no backup camera. But I do have the guidelines. No option to turn camera on or off. Appears when they replaced the tail light module they either disconnected or broke the connection to the camera. When I picked the car up last Friday the camera was working. The service people must have seen it was not working when they had it in the shop. So, I get to waste a few more hours getting it back to them to fix their screw up.
That is a bummer. Before you drive down there, I would give them a call and find out how to access the camera cable. It is probably accessible from the trunk, the tail light or under the car. It's likely that they just didn't plug it in which is a simple fix if you can find a way to access the cable connection which should be right behind the backup camera on the underside of the rear fascia.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:59 PM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Pman
Hey Tim, I like your thoughts along these lines, makes sense.

I was just about to purchase maybe a CTEK 3300, but would you have any specific recommendations for a more versatile charger? Thanks a lot!

P
Check out the Schumacher battery maintainer/charger/jumper line at batterychargers.com. I bought mine at Autozone a couple years ago after the last time I went to get into one of my cars and the battery was dead. I believe I paid about 200 bucks for mine and it was money well spent.

I have 3 cars and keeping up with battery maintainers for them was a real pain. I try to rotate the cars so that none of them sit too long, but it never seemed to fail that I would end up with a dead battery in one all too often.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

The dealer picked the Vette up on Tuesday morning and took it back to the shop. As I had expected when they reassembled the tail light module someone forgot to reconnect the rear camera. I now have it back, everything works and it is a blast to drive. I'm still trying to configure the dash and HUD to show exactly what I want to see.

Does anyone know if they are going to print a new owners manual to fix all the errors in the existing one? I'm sure they were making software changes to the car right up until they started shipping them, but going to the manual and it not matching the car is a real pain.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts and ideas through this learning experience. That's why we belong to this forum.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
PJO
Melting Slicks

Received 643 Likes on 471 Posts

Default Owners Manual

Here is a pdf of the owners manual and also a you tube video of the Infotainment system.

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...14corvette.pdf

Old 11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
No...I just had my battery go south....dealer says that is typical for Phoenix (2 years for a battery)...I say it is the junk batteries GM uses!
Wal-Mart battery's are made by same company only a few battery company's and they make all no matter the name on the outside.
z51vett
Doug
Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Originally Posted by z51vett
Wal-Mart battery's are made by same company only a few battery company's and they make all no matter the name on the outside.
z51vett
Doug
This is true to a degree, but each "customer / brand" specs. their own battery to reflect the price point they want to compete within. The battery manufacturer tailors a product to suit the customers spec. In most cases the manufacturer also produces & retails their own line of product.

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,695 Likes on 6,680 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowC5
Where are these located under the hood? I have look at my car and can not see anywhere to connect a tender.

Thanks.
I agree, don’t believe there is a place to jump start under the hood, regardless what is says in the owner’s manual! (Actually that is said only in one spot-NOT where is says how to jump start) Saw some pics where folks showed you could use the wire feeding the fuse panel, but that does not look like something designed to be used, nor would I be comfortable the wire, going back to the battery is sufficient to handle starting currents! Even accessing that connection does not look like something GM planned! However I see comments about no place to connect a low current charger under the hood. Not sure, but you should be able to use the wire at the alternator. That is what I do with my street rod, where the battery is inside the rear of the '34 sedan. There is a terminal readily accessible and you can attach a small alligator clip to the post. It has 12 volts when the car is off. Perhaps someone can ask their dealer to look up the wiring diagram; it probably is directly connected to the battery. Lots of ground spots in the engine compartment.
Noticed my battery was only 12.4 volts and my wife’s 4 year old SUV with its original battery is at 12.65 on the same quality digital VOM. Checked and when idling, and the the C7 alternator was putting out 15.3 volts so it is fine. Have been out of town and lots of rain, so use my wife’s car! Leaving for another week to see the grandchildren so decided to charge the battery. Connected my charger, which has a low 2 amp max setting, and it took several hours before the automatic control reduced to a very low amperage. The voltage went from 13.1 when 1st connecting the charger to 14.5 when I disconnected. Granted I had not driven a lot but have never charged my C6. I do keep a small $40 mini charger on my street rod at all times. Expect all will be fine when I start driving more. The C7 is my daily driver but when weather is bad typically use the wife’s SUV!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by green2000
You mean a compartment with a hinged lid that you can open to access the battery, like the obsolete C6 Z06 has. Oh, and the C6 Z06 has a positive(+) lug along with an engine ground(-) in the engine compartment where you can connect jumper cables or a charger so you don't even have to have the hatch open in the rain to jump start the car.

Harbor Freight has a $6 float charger that works as well as the fancy $100 ones.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-28-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:22 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fredl11
Look under the bumper at Lic Plate there is a buttop there to manually open the hatch
Need juice for that one!

Quick Reply: Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?