C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 PM
C4TrackMan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Leave the hood open in the garage

Originally Posted by billsblue73
Brought the new car home yesterday, I felt something was not right when the lights on the buttons in the interior did not go out when I closed the car. I did open the windows before going to bed. This morning completely dead. How can I open the hatch? Can I charge with a charger through the power port in the console? I did buy the CTEK. I have the two top option and still have the transparent top in the hatch. Need help ASAP.

I cannot reach the power port in the hatch with the top in the hatch,
I open the hood so I can access the charging posts under the hood. That is where I connect my tender so I can charge a dead battery and then get the doors open.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Brought the new car home yesterday, I felt something was not right when the lights on the buttons in the interior did not go out when I closed the car. I did open the windows before going to bed. This morning completely dead. How can I open the hatch? Can I charge with a charger through the power port in the console? I did buy the CTEK. I have the two top option and still have the transparent top in the hatch. Need help ASAP.

I cannot reach the power port in the hatch with the top in the hatch,
Sounds like you have the interior lights "On":

Instrument Panel
Illumination Control

The **** for this feature is on the
left side of the instrument panel.

Turn the **** clockwise or
counterclockwise to brighten or dim
the instrument panel lights at night.
Turn the **** completely clockwise
to turn on the interior lights.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. After almost 24 hours on the CTEK, nothing. Still completely dead. I think something must be draining it faster than it can charge. having read about issues others have had getting to the battery I am hesitant to pull the carpet up and connect a battery box to it. I guess I'll have to call for a tow in the morning. This really is a pain. Any other ideas to try? I really need the car to be running. Best number to call for GM to come pick it up and take to a dealer?

Onstar, dead like the car.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4TrackMan
I open the hood so I can access the charging posts under the hood. That is where I connect my tender so I can charge a dead battery and then get the doors open.
Where are these located? I can open the hood. Can I just try to jump start from a connection under the hood? I didn't see a reference to these in the manula.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Don't these cars ship in transport mode, to save the battery etc? Before delivery the dealer is supposed to deactivate it.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
jason3962
Advanced

Jason, a million thanks. I was able to open the hatch and have it on the charger. I still think there was something wrong in that all the little lights on all the accessories and the infotainment screen did not go out completely off when I turned the car off last night. With my wife's JAG XF it takes awhile to turn off so I thought it might just be a delay of some sort. I had already called a dealer yesterday to take it in Monday morning because I have a message reading "fault, left rear tailout light failure".

Bill- glad I could help. I must say you are more patient than me. I would have had that car picked up yesterday by your dealer and demanded a fix immediately. Good luck with it. I hope they are careful when they tow it. I would watch closely.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:46 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

once you do get a new battery, always keep it on a ctek . I have done that since i got my ZR1 and have had zero issues. There is for sure some parasitic draw, and after a couple of weeks or less ,could lead to a dead battery. good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Just call the dealership Monday morning and have them come and get the car. Spend some time today reading the manual.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

Just spoke to the dealer in Daytona, by the way i live in Orlando about 75 miles away, to see if they could pick it up today. hopefully they will be able to. They seem responsive. We bought it there because of a very good experience with them five years ago. I'll keep everyone posted.

Crystal red tintcoat, kalahari, Z51, MSRC, FAV. Built on October 28. As far as I can tell the paint in pretty perfect. I'm hopeful that it is just a completely dead battery. Though with an 80 mile drive home on Friday, you would think it would be able to charge the battery enough to start the next morning. Other than the brake light failure message there were no other indications of any electrical problems.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:46 AM
YellowC5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4TrackMan
Where are these located under the hood? I have look at my car and can not see anywhere to connect a tender.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Though with an 80 mile drive home on Friday, you would think it would be able to charge the battery enough to start the next morning.

Absolutely should. Either the charging system is not working or something is draining the battery. Once repaired, if they don't give you a new battery, I wouldn't sweat it. Discharging a battery is surely not good, but once for a relatively short period of time would not be cause for me to trash an otherwise good battery.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:29 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

For whatever it's worth, this massive battery discharge you are experiencing does not seem to be one of the frequent complaints I am reading about in regards to the C7. That means it does not APPEAR to be designed into the car (thank goodness). Now, let's just pray the dealer tracks down and repairs the problem correctly the first time...
Old 11-10-2013, 12:34 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

An 80 mile drive should have charged the battery plenty. There is something else going on. Either the battery is defective, the alternator and charging system is not charging it, there is something draining it, or there is a loose connection to the battery. Should be easy enough for the dealer to diagnose and fix.

Any Chevy dealer should be able to do the warranty work, so no need to have it hauled all the way back to the original dealer, especially if you end up having to pay for the tow.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Realize that a CTEK, like all other smart charger/maintainers, will not work if the battery is completely discharged. A conventional charger has to be used until the terminal voltage reaches a threshold level of about 7 or 8 volts. Then the CTEK be able to charge it the rest of the way.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
billsblue73
Instructor

The dealer called back and they are sending a truck to pick it up and take to the dealership. I'm waiting for them now. I hope it is a small issue, like a loose connection, but I'm not sure at this point.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:28 PM
Jhall84
Cruising

I know with the C6 w/a 6 Speed, if you did not park your car in reverse, it would kill the battery. I imagine the C7 would be the same way.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I hope the fix is minor and that you get your car back quickly, good luck and keep us informed on what the dealer solution is.

Get notified of new replies

To Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:50 PM
hihocarp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jhall84
I know with the C6 w/a 6 Speed, if you did not park your car in reverse, it would kill the battery. I imagine the C7 would be the same way.
Wasn't that just on the 05's as my 09 6 speed could be left in neutral.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Jhall84
Cruising

Originally Posted by hihocarp
Wasn't that just on the 05's as my 09 6 speed could be left in neutral.
I know the C6's in my showroom left out of reverse, the battery die all the time.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:11 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Jason, a million thanks. I was able to open the hatch and have it on the charger. I still think there was something wrong in that all the little lights on all the accessories and the infotainment screen did not go out completely off when I turned the car off last night. With my wife's JAG XF it takes awhile to turn off so I thought it might just be a delay of some sort. I had already called a dealer yesterday to take it in Monday morning because I have a message reading "fault, left rear tailout light failure".
I wonder if you might have put it into accessory mode instead of turning the car completely off. You use the same button to turn it on/off and accessory mode.

Quick Reply: Picked up new c7 yesterday. Battery dead this morning. How can I open the hatch?