C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the C7 compaired to other cars you owned like a C6 or 911?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:46 PM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How is the C7 compaired to other cars you owned like a C6 or 911?

Looking for real feedback from actual C7 owners who had a C6 and or a 911. Don't care about 1/4-mile runs. Interested in the overall driving experience. Looking to hear more about driving dynamics. How is handling, balance, steering, brake modulation / feel, visibility? Does the C7 feel more nimble? Is it a easier car to drive fast on unfamiliar roads? How is driver confidence? How is the driving position, does the C7 feel smaller?

Any 997.2 series 911 owners buy a C7 and have feed back? Would love to hear about it if you Guys are around?

Love to hear from C7 drivers who have other cars also.

Not a C6 verses C7 or Corvette v. Porsche debate. Just want honest comments from people who have owned a C6, 911, or other sports car in the past. Love to hear comments and opinions from the lucky new C7 owners who have wheel time with both.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 11-10-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:09 AM
c6stingray
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owned the following Corvette coupes bought new: 1969 4 speed, 1979 auto, 1984 auto, 2005 auto MSRC and now a 2014 1LT Z51 manual (non MSRC) that I bought 4 weeks ago when it was delivered to the dealer unsold . I also still have a 1967 I have had about 15 years. All of the new ones but the 1969 were the first of that year's model delivered to the dealer. None of these have had big-blocks nor, prior to the 2014, Z51 suspensions. Hands down, the 2014 has the most responsive handling, steering, shifting and braking, best ride (it surprised me by riding much better and smoother than the non-Z51 MSRC C6), and is the quickest of them all. When I am driving, the thought I have is the C7 feels like a glove I have put on all around me that fits perfectly (probably because of the much improved seats and interior in general) and seems like it responds almost to my thoughts rather than to my movements. It feels much more nimble than any of its predecessors. So far the visibility hasn't been a concern (but I very carefully set the side mirror positions). Starting with the drive home from the dealership, each time I get out of the car, I think or say "This car is SO MUCH FUN" (so often that my wife probably is tired of hearing it). Along with that, the words that best summarize my C7 are "precise" and "powerful". I didn't plan to write this much but it took this many words to state my real feedback so far.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Good write up C6.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 AM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I definitely agree with c6stingray's "so much fun... precise... powerful" words describing first-hand experience with the new C7. I echo the same experience... those words suits the C7 quite accurately. No C6 or Porsches for me but I can compare a bit although not apples to apples per se.

My current daily driver is a 5th gen Camaro SS with a 6.2 liter V8 and while that has its own merits it cannot compare to the C7's wonderful torque curve and topshelf fun factor. I think a SS is a good complement to owning a new C7, so not much complaints there. My other current toy I really want to compare & contrast to is my '12 Boss 302 and when comparing it to the C7, the key advantage the Boss has is its wonderful super-rev-happy 5.0 Roadrunner engine that loves to easily & swiftly wind up to its 7500rpm limit. It's a car that's simply no frills, sounds raw with its factory quad exhaust, and likes to accelerate at all times and wants you to push it & make it sing at high rpm's. The C7 is literally faster in all aspects but the Boss feels just as fast and will be right at the C7's tail... until the curvy road starts and the C7 instantly turns into a F1 superhero. The ride & handing, balanced suspension, and well-engineered chassis are the C7's underestimated or overlooked major aspects, IMO. The Mustang vs. the Corvette is like night & day... to me the C7's 7-spd shifter is heavenly hash, while the Mustang's is quite a rocky road experience. Think of buttery easy shifts with light clutch effort vs. notch shifting along with a heavy clutch. I don't mind it since the Boss makes me fell like I'm driving a vintage muscle car while the Stingray feels like the modern super car it is. I love having both cars... 2 totally different personalities that can be fun to drive in their own unique ways.

Last but not least, obviously the C7's techno goodies are eons above both my pony cars and I truly enjoy every moment with it, even just merely sitting in it is a humbling experience. It's comfortable, it has a welcoming high-quality interior, and the seats makes you feel like you're enveloped in it, not just on it... close to the feeling I have in my Boss with its Recaro seats. On that note, I bet the C7's Competition seats would mimic the same sentiments.

Again, this beauty is so MUCH fun to tinker with, not just drive. I constantly admire it in & out. Excellent job, GM! I love my other rides, but this C7 is icing on the cake... never would have I thought of owning a Corvette and this first for me is worth the 50K+ admission price to own one.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I totally agree with c6stingray's above post. My Non-Z51 C7 is an Auto whereas my 2005 Z51 C6 was a 6 speed. Both have given me an amazing experience out of the block since they were both early first year series products. With that, the C7 is a significant step up from the 2005 C6 for me. Others may say a 2013 C6 is a little closer in comparison.

The four concerns I had were:

1) Was the C7 going to be too much HP for me as a Touring/DD? It is as tame or aggressive as you want it to be. A great, comfortable turnpike cruiser and around town toy. Fun factor: +++++
2) Was the Active Fuel Management mode going back and forth between 4 and 8 cyl intrusive and an annoyance? Not one bit, i don't even notice the transitioning and it has instantaneous throttle response.
3) Would I miss the Z51 package on the C7? No, as I never fully utilized it on my C6 so I went for the 3LT instead. Z51 is a great deal IMO.
4) Was the behind the wheel experience in the cockpit a step up over the C6? Hands down this interior with its "bells and whistles" electronics is exceptional. What a 21st Century Auto should be.

Every Corvette Fan needs to experience driving this C7.

Edit: And well said C7 Stingray.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 11-08-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
dalinone
Advanced

I would be surprised if anyone said the C7 is not a significant improvement over the C6. I loved my C6, but I love my C7 even more.

I also would love to hear from previous 911 owners who not own a C7 and the comparisons. This could be tough to get; i.e. current 911 vs. current C7.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Seapar
Racer

May post in a month or so as I am at 3300 on my AW, 7mt, z51,mrc and sold my 997.2 911 c4S in sept. Still have a 911 GT3 for track , weekend fun 997.1.
Looking forward to the differences.

Last edited by Seapar; 11-10-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:46 AM
IMMD
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

can anyone compare the cayman to the c7? that was my other choice. Ultimately the c7 was a better optioned, more powerful car than the cayman so I opted for the stingray. But I'm going to miss the PDK for sure...
Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seapar
May post in a month or so as I am at 3300 on my AW, 7mt, z51,mrc and sold my 997.2 911 c4S in sept. Still have a 911 GT3 for track , weekend fun 997.1.
Looking forward to the differences.
Owned several sport cars before including a couple of C6, one Z51, the other F55 Magnetic Ride. Still own a 997.2 C4S PDK now. Would love to hear your opinion of the C7 and C4S. Any comments about ergonomics is appreciated. I assume the seating position in the 911 makes it easier to place the car. The 997 series 911 and C6 were very close in physical size but the C6 felt larger then it really was compared to the 911. The C6 was less nimble and had slower reflexes then the 911. How is the C7 steering feel, brake feel/modulation, throttle response, road feel, chassis balance, etc. Which feels more nimble and tossable? Which is more confidence inspiring to drive or easier to drive fast on a unfamiliar road? Looking forward to hearing more.

Just noticed you are probably at 3300 status not 3300 miles. I jumped the gun with questions for you. Hope to hear back from you after you take delivery!

Thanks!

Last edited by rexracerx9; 11-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dalinone
I would be surprised if anyone said the C7 is not a significant improvement over the C6. I loved my C6, but I love my C7 even more.

I also would love to hear from previous 911 owners who not own a C7 and the comparisons. This could be tough to get; i.e. current 911 vs. current C7.
What are some of the things abut the C7 that impress you most over the C6? I understand the new electronics and interior are huge upgrades. I am interested in how different the C6 and C7 feel in terms of driving experience overall. The C6 felt larger then it really was. Is the C7 more nimble and responsive to steering inputs. How is chassis control?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c6stingray
I have owned the following Corvette coupes bought new: 1969 4 speed, 1979 auto, 1984 auto, 2005 auto MSRC and now a 2014 1LT Z51 manual (non MSRC) that I bought 4 weeks ago when it was delivered to the dealer unsold . I also still have a 1967 I have had about 15 years. All of the new ones but the 1969 were the first of that year's model delivered to the dealer. None of these have had big-blocks nor, prior to the 2014, Z51 suspensions. Hands down, the 2014 has the most responsive handling, steering, shifting and braking, best ride (it surprised me by riding much better and smoother than the non-Z51 MSRC C6), and is the quickest of them all. When I am driving, the thought I have is the C7 feels like a glove I have put on all around me that fits perfectly (probably because of the much improved seats and interior in general) and seems like it responds almost to my thoughts rather than to my movements. It feels much more nimble than any of its predecessors. So far the visibility hasn't been a concern (but I very carefully set the side mirror positions). Starting with the drive home from the dealership, each time I get out of the car, I think or say "This car is SO MUCH FUN" (so often that my wife probably is tired of hearing it). Along with that, the words that best summarize my C7 are "precise" and "powerful". I didn't plan to write this much but it took this many words to state my real feedback so far.
Being much more nimble is what I want to hear! Does the C7 feel smaller then the C6? How is visibility compared to the C6?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm still new to corvettes, but have a C6 base 1LT and now a C7 Z51, MSRC, NPP, 3LT in the driveway, with the C6 likely finding a new home soon.

So, still kinda like comparing apples to oranges with the Z51, MSRC and 3LT in the C7 to the C6 1LT, but I'll verbalize my novice comparison from a non-performance standpoint.

They both ooze pure sex from the outside. I think they are both absolutely gorgeous vehicles, the C6 round and flowing, the C7 angular and aggressive.

I find the C6 easier to get into, but the C7 easier to get out of. The seats could not possibly be more night and day. I find the C6 seats to be very uncomfortable - of course doesn't help that the base 1LT has no lumbar support, so that may make it an unfair comparison. The leather quality is also night and day - the C7 3LT is SO luxurious and tactile, and once in that seat, I feel like I never want to come out. It is infinitely configurable. I have heard the complaint that for bigger folks the C7 seat doesn't recline as much as the C6 seat, but that's not an issue for me. My FAV part of the C7 non-comp seats is the inflatable kidney supports - you can control the tightness or looseness of the "wrap" of the seats, and snug yourself down tight. It's flippin amazing.

The C7 cockpit is really amazing, again - a wrap around feel that makes you feel like chevy just made you the most important person in the world (ok, maybe too schmaltzy, but I am SO smitten). The information at your disposal is SO vast, and configurable, and intuitive - perhaps my favorite part of the C7, after the comfort and luxury of the interior, is the endless configurable data you have at your fingertips, and being able to get everything from your tire pressure to the title and artist you're listening to, to current road speed limit in the center of your console. If you're a data freak, this car will blow you away.

Clutch feels longer in the C7, and for me - 5'7, I feel like I'm riding a horse with my heals way down, to try to keep my heal on the floor and get that heal-toe action. A little strange at first, didn't have that sense in the C6 - heal / toe was more comfortable for me in the C6. C7 feels more of a leg workout. And with that said, I feel like I need to get further forward in the C7.

Shifting feels pretty similar - throws are just right to me in both vehicles. Reverse feels better in the C7 as a downward motion instead of an upward motion in the C6 (but how much time do we spend in reverse?!)

C7 is too new, and have been pretty kind to it so far in it's initial break-in. I can tell you when you put your foot on the gas hard, it throws you back into your seat and takes my breath away (in the best possible way). Didn't have NPP (nor Z-anything) on the C6 so the C7 growls and the C6 does not. On our country, uneven roads, momentarily flooring it on a straight line the C7 wants to go perfectly straight regardless of the road imperfections, versus the C6 that feels like you really have to drive it to go straight.

Visibility - was better in the C6, but not bad in the C7. Strangely going forward in the C7 - something about the front window angle, and small size of visors that makes it harder to see when you're driving straight into the sun.

From inside, size feels pretty darned similar - C7 size to me does not feel smaller, but since maneuverability is sharper in the C7 it handles smaller. Both have removable tops, the C7 feels more like a vert when looking forward - you're really out there in the wild, and it's AWESOME!

Last edited by harmonyp; 11-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:32 AM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

As a longtime Corvette owner (see below) I feel the C7 is in a different class. Everything from engine response, suspension, handling, and especially the design lines are a vast upgrade from previous generations. Yes there are first year issues to resolve but every generation has needed some fine tuning. My hat is off to the design team on this car!

Mike.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:02 AM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rexracerx9
Looking for real feedback from actual C7 owners who had a C6 and or a 911. Don't care about 1/4-mile runs. Interested in the overall driving experience. Looking to hear more about driving dynamics. How is handling, balance, steering, brake modulation / feel, visibility? Does the C7 feel more nimble? Is it a easier car to drive fast on unfamiliar roads? How is driver confidence? How is the driving position, does the C7 feel smaller?

Any 997.2 series 911 owners buy a C7 and have feed back? Would love to hear about it if you Guys are around?

Love to hear from C7 drivers who have other cars also.

Not a C6 verses C7 or Corvette v. Porsche debate. Just want honest comments from people who have owned a C6, 911, or other sports car in the past. Love to hear comments and opinions from the lucky new C7 owners who have wheel time with both.
My 993 at the time was an awesome track car. Hands down much better than my C5 at the time. I did prefer my C5 for weekend driving. A few weeks ago I had the chance to take a few laps at Memphis International Raceway in a 2011 twin turbo 911. Ok I realize this is not a fair comparison but it made my 08 C6 z51 feel like junk after I got back in it. The easiest way to describe it is: I could place the 911 on a dime whereas the C6 a quarter. My lap time in the Porsche was almost 2 seconds quicker. That being said the 3LT C7 I sat in last week was remarkably very close to the $150,000 Porsche’s interior.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I am curious about this subject as well, I have a 2010 C2S, I have no plans to sell short term, but maybe in a few years.

Last edited by Carnut12; 11-10-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

My C7 is much better than my C6 in power, handling, interior, road noise, nav etc. Not that this really counts, but I have never had a car that so many people on the street like. I would have an occasional person comment on my C6. Without exaggeration, I get comments almost everywhere I go with the C7. Non Vette people seem to be attracted to it.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
can anyone compare the cayman to the c7? that was my other choice. Ultimately the c7 was a better optioned, more powerful car than the cayman so I opted for the stingray. But I'm going to miss the PDK for sure...
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/10/...man-S-7716510/

Get notified of new replies

To How is the C7 compaired to other cars you owned like a C6 or 911?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Excellent comments!

Last edited by Racerdj; 11-10-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Love the video from the carbuzz link. Lets see, the Stingray beats the Cayman S in all categories except one, and has a price as tested as $69,375 for the Stingray and $87,485 for the Cayman, and the guy says although the Stingray tests out better and costs $20K less, he likes the Porsche better. What's the point of doing measurable tests if the end result is going to be a single individual's personal preference?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 2006 C6 Z51 with only 11,000Km when I bought it from my financial planner....Loved everything about it.....Two weekends ago VP of Marketing brought a Yellow C7 Z51 home and I was able to pilot it for about 20Km....Its completely different! Better? depends what your variables are for judging Improvement: Look YES, Drivability YES, Sound uh ( mine had LG 1 3/4 Headers and Corsa so mine sounded Orchestral) but the Track sound is great at about 4000rpm and beyond...Cockpit YES YES YES YES YES, amazing cockpit....Confidence inspiring YES. Fit and finish ...dont know, i didnt spend too much time worrying about that, just absolutely LOVED the ride in that machine....Mine will be here as soon as I can massage my Business venture.

Quick Reply: How is the C7 compaired to other cars you owned like a C6 or 911?