Sponsored by:

You're Welcome GM

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U
I'm having this issue also. I think it may be related to the "hill hold" brake feature. It seems to hold too long after I release the brake and apply the throttle. A couple of time I've even killed the engine! I usually keep it in "Tour" mode, so I will try "Sport" and see if that makes a difference.
Mine is not the hill assist. The throttle lag is on flat ground in 1st gear or reverse. When the car gets moving the lag disappears and does not happen from 2nd thru 7th gears. Maybe the correct word should be hesitation. My C6 never had this issue and it was a '13 of course and not DI. Some people might not notice it unless you know what the symptoms are. For those that say they have a manual and don't see a problem, try this test. Find yourself a flat surface, put the car into 1st gear but do not let the car roll out of gear. Put your foot on the gas pedal and gently let the clutch out, now give your car the gas - the hesitation comes from the point you put your foot on the gas until the car reacts - that's the lag. Not only can you feel the lag response you can hear it in the engine sound. It's very similar to driving a turbo. Once you notice it, it's very annoying....
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM
1986C4Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like rotational inertia to me. The Chevy V8 has always seemed to have had slow low speed acceleration, and you add the variable cam, cylinder deactivation, a heavy flywheel and clutch and or torque converter, it can't help any.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The Chevy V8 has always seemed to have had slow low speed acceleration,
You cannot be serious. If you are serious you know very little about small block chev engines.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 949 C7
Like I said in my post earlier, this is simply a GM ECM programming issue- they reduce how much throttle is applied in low RPMs most likely- I had the same problem but once I installed the Pfadt tune all that went away. Now low RPM throttle response is so much better it can break tires loose from a dead stop with hardly any throttle. I assume GM doesn't want the average person to have that much power off the line because they could break the tires loose easier and it's a bit too sensitive for the average joe.

There's no secret and nothing more here than GM neutering the thing in stock form. Tune it, and it's gone. Plus you get more power and the tune eliminates the Skip-shift crap.
Yep, I agree. 70% throttle position before tripping into PE mode is part of the issue. The C6Z06 was 48%.

There are several areas that attenuate full power.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 11-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Yep, I agree. 70% throttle position before tripping into PE mode is part of the issue. The C6Z06 was 48%.

There are several areas that attenuate full power.

So the 70% should be 100% to cure the "lag" and if so, can any "tuner" re-program it?

Thanks.
Craig
2014 A6
Old 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
3) Low rpm throttle lag is horrible and would be reason alone for tuning the TM ETC. It happens even in V8 mode.
I have been waiting for someone knowledgable to comment on this.

I love my C7, but this is a source of constant irritation. I get better throttle response in my BMW 740, which is a boat.

The rest of the C7 is so precise and responsive, the low RPM throttle respose is really out of character. Is this some kind of safety measure to keep rookies from getting sideways. Is there a fix without affecting the warranty?

Edit: I typed this after reading only the original post. What follows seems to answer my questions. Thank you.

Last edited by Magister Ludi; 11-05-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: further reading
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
I have been waiting for someone knowledgebale to comment on this.

I love my C7, but this is a source of constant irritation. I get better throttle response in my BMW 740, which is a boat.

The rest of the C7 is so precise and responsive, the low RPM throttle respose is really out of character. Is this some kind of safety measure to keep rookies from getting sideways. Is there a fix without affecting the warranty?
The throttle curve in that mode is likely programmed this way primarily for fuel economy considerations, IMO. If the throttle was opened as fast as the foot wanted, the car would not remain in stoich, so it gradually opens the plate and does the same for the injectors. We had the same issue on our E90 335i and it drove me nuts. BMW later fixed this, but could not fix ours. Our (well, my wife's) new MB E350 (DI) has razor-sharp throttle response and I love it.

I actually think a lazy throttle is a safety hazard rather than a benefit, because the juice is not there when you need to get out of a tough spot. I can also see the benefit of not having a noob spin it, but that's what AH/TC is there for. That said, the electronic nanny in my C6 is absent at very low speeds.

Anyway, sounds like a tune will solve the issue.

Last edited by TTRotary; 11-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torky
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Halltech.... it's so refreshing to see someone spell "you're" correctly... instead of the moronic "your" used for everything..... again, Thank you ! ! ! ! ! !
Grammer guys should have there own forums.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Delta88
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Move to sport mode. Should or could resolve the issue.

Did you install a new intake yet?
Does the cold air make a big difference
In the C7?
I had the Halteck on my C6 ZO6 I had to take it out and put back the stock intake. It was making the check light go on
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

PE mode is open loop. An example of the throttle position we use on our Z06 is 25%. Touch the throttle and the tires light up any time we are over 25% TP.

Some tuners turn off CL when tuning for e85, I do not. I like having the 9.85:1 ratio in closed loop normal driving, but go to PE enable at slightly heavier foot.

I know this can be tuned out, but I mentioned the issue only as a minor annoyance. Going from 3.89lbs/hp with 629lb-ft torque and 2777 lbs, to an auto C7 is just a big change.

The C7 auto is still an amazing car. Lauching the car from a dead stop would simply blow away the tires if all TM nannies were shut off.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Delta88
Does the cold air make a big difference
In the C7?
I had the Halteck on my C6 ZO6 I had to take it out and put back the stock intake. It was making the check light go on
Bet you had a hole under the filter too. Any time you open the radiator shroud with our MAF forward design, you will have issues. It was designed to work only with the NACA duct.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,999 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Ok, then if DI is not the culprit of lag, what part is? Not trying to be funny here, but, I've never had this lag in throttle response from a NA engine, turbo yes of course.
That throttle response issue happens in plenty of NA engines. Seems to go with the eco territory. My 08 Bu has plenty of throttle lag when the automatic is in Drive mode. I have to anticipate when I need the throttle to compensate for the lag. However, when I shift it into manual mode the lag is gone. I have driven plenty of other 4 and 6 cylinder cars with the same kind of lag. It is like the car is trying to decide what it wants to do. Open the throttle, downshift, or open the throttle and downshift depending on how much you press the pedal. I get the worst response if I try to go wide open with it.

Bill
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan12
It's "grammar".
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Dan12
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stTimeforEverything
It's "grammar".
Thanks Einstein, however you missed “There” should be “Their”

You also missed the point!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Einstein, however you missed “There” should be “Their”

You also missed the point!
Were's that forum at??
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by holyroller
your welcome.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stTimeforEverything
It's "grammar".

Get notified of new replies

To You're Welcome GM

Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Or "non-grammar" guys could be ostracized to the "dunce forum". Either or
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's kinda funny, I test drove a 2014 GMC pick up, this weekend. It did the same thing, it seemed like it was "turbo lag" in 1st gear from a dead stop. It just drove weird.

I thought it was in 4 cyl. mode and was having trouble getting going. Hope that's not the "new" way of doing things around GM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:14 AM
Heber Guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new Chev Van is doing the same thing and driving me nuts. A constant irritation.

Quick Reply: You're Welcome GM