Sponsored by:

C7 v C6 427 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Interesting the people who have not bought new C7's give reasons which have no impact on those of us who bought. The changes that come from moving from 2014, 2015, 2016 are inevable. We are not ignorant of change we actually have our cars to drive why the worry warts wait. I have a clue for you "fellows", you can not buy time at any price. When the day is gone it is gone never to return. So wait all you like for eight speed transmissions and bigger vents etc. the people who own the cars are out there cruising while. You wait.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking as someone who thought the 427 vert was extremely cool, there is no way in hell I would choose one over the C7. There are a lot of reasons, from it having an LS7 to it having the same darn steel frame as my 2005 vert.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by NytmereZ
Do you work for GM? 1/4 and track times on the base C7 are right on with C6z numbers.
Not a clue period!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't care too much about track times here. I just want to keep as many C's as I can. Too bad I can only afford to keep one at a time. Maybe soon, when I only have to worry about the wife and myself, I can start a collection. The next one on my list would be a C2. Preferably a '66 vert. That was the first Vette I've driven. My big brother was generous enough to leave it at our house so I could drive it to school and for dates. I think he enjoyed it more seeing me drive it like I stole it than anything else. I sure miss him.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Personally I'd never want to own a LS7 w/o having the heads updated. I race and instruct with the National Auto Sport Association and nearly every weekend I see stock LS7s fail. Weekend before last I was at Road Atlanta and a bone stock 2007 dropped a valve. It had < 20,000 miles and it was the gentleman's first track weekend with the car. I could never track a car I had to constantly worry about. GM's claim about a localized supplier issue is bunk.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:58 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Personally I'd never want to own a LS7 w/o having the heads updated. I race and instruct with the National Auto Sport Association and nearly every weekend I see stock LS7s fail. Weekend before last I was at Road Atlanta and a bone stock 2007 dropped a valve. It had < 20,000 miles and it was the gentleman's first track weekend with the car. I could never track a car I had to constantly worry about. GM's claim about a localized supplier issue is bunk.
Owners clearly need a class action suit against GM about that engine.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Porsche owners sued over their engines and won ! Porsche denied their engine failures for years until they lost in court...
Old 12-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by harris48cars
Fellows, I've been buying cars for 50 years and I've never bought one that wasn't trumped. I own a 427 Vert and it's been an impressive car. I get compliments all the time. Just like the C7 guys will be getting. I loved all the tech stuff of the C7 and would love to have one. But at 64 yrs old and some serious health issues, I decided a 427 Convertible would be all I need. Back in 2001 a friend bought a Z06 Vette, 380 HP. Of course the next year it came with 405 HP rendering my friends 380 HP Z, well not worthless but it killed the value. That would be my biggest concern with the C7. I know the engine is new but they where saying the same thing about the 01 Z06. I sure am curious what 2015 brings for the C7. My guess is there are going to be some disappointed 2014 owners, particularly those who got hosed a little bit with MSRP pricing.
Gary
Just like the early buyers of the 427 that bought at list price....how do you think they feel now??? Dealers started discounting them by almost. $20k within six months after its introduction ....Try trading one in now.....most dealers won 't even talk to you... And the ones that do won 't even offer $60k on a trade...it's all a gag ... People need to enjoy what they have... Not because what somebody else thinks!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:29 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
I think this is too early to debate. I think the fair comparison would be a C7 Z51 Convertible vs. the 427 Convertible. Ironically, Chevrolet in their brochures shows 0-60 times for both of them at 3.8 sec. I would guess that the C7 Z51 Convertible would be the better car with it's more rigid frame and new technology.
other sources (mags) say differently. and think about it. yes, the C7 is a lighter weight car, different internal mechanics in several ways (gears, exhaust, whatever), but 427 ci vs 378 ci (C7 @6.2 l) is quite a difference. plus, the 427 has been around a long time, and undergone assumedly many more minor improvements and enhancements. put the two together on the strip and it hard to believe the 378 would beat the 427. sorry, no facts, just inference.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've got a 60th 427 Vert now. Love it.
I'm shopping for a C7 now, too.
Will I get rid of the 427.........no way. But I do have a '72 LT-1 (the only Vette I have that's gaining value) that may have to go to make room for the C7. Tough decisions, but First World Problems.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:48 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I own the 427. I have driven the C7 coupe. cars are night and day. C7 is a better daily driver type car. light clutch, very smooth seven speed gearbox, great ride, smaller tires, cool electronics and everything else that has been written about it.

Mine isn't a daily driven, not close. For me, right now, I prefer the playfulness of my 427 vert. it just feels more like a powerful convertible should. it pulls hard, you know you are driving it. Its simplistic gage pods are all I need. True, the nostalgia of the 427 badges helped pull me to it over say a gs vert, but so too did the overall package.

In time, none of us know what will be the hot car in 2045, but frankly I dont care. If I want the next great thing when it comes out I will simply purchase it. Fr me, I bought the 427 after a long hiatus, and wanted it now when I bought it. c7 wasn't an option yet.

With respect to collectability or trade in value.....really? we are talking corvettes. rarely are corvettes worthy of high trade in values. speak with anyone who has tried to sell one. corvettes are probably the hardest cars to sell, as buyers are so picky. A scratch? ooh, cannot buy that one got caught in the rain for two minutes, oooh, don't want that one. wait, you don't have full service records showing oil changes every forty miles, man that car has been abused, lol.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 PM
RickMN
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flange
With respect to collectability or trade in value.....really?
Especially true for those of us who drive vehicles into the ground. My C7 is replacing a car I drove for 20 years. I expect to sell the old car for a price that will hardly make a dent on my new car. It will likely be purchased by some young man who can barely afford it. But I am pretty sure he will be extremely happy to have something that is still a very fun to drive sports car!

I passed on buying a 427 C6 convertible when I started thinking about a new car not because the C6 is not a great car, but because I decided I wanted the "newness" of the C7.

Last edited by RickMN; 12-17-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=RickMN;1585698259]
Originally Posted by flange
I passed on buying a 427 C6 convertible when I started thinking about a new car not because the C6 is not a great car, but because I decided I wanted the "newness" of the C7.
Winner, winner . . . can now close this thread.

There is no debate the C7 is newer, upgraded and more refined than any C6. But that does not mean it is automatically more desirable to every Corvette customer.

The 427, with its beautiful classic Corvette lines, great performance, exclusivity, and absolutely undeniable connection to all of the great Corvette history makes it a great car to own for those who value those qualities.

The C7, with all its new technology, upgraded materials, modern angular styling, and wonderful performance makes it a great car for those who want the latest and greatest Corvette around.

Undoubtedly, there will eventually be many, many more C7's around then 427's. But both are great cars, and really, how can anyone go wrong with either one, or criticize either choice ?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback from everyone.

The 427 vert is exactly why the C7 Z06 will be a vert too. The 427 was Chevy's response to the demand for a convertible Z06. The writing is in the wall. I'm glad for the options.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:49 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by harris48cars
Fellows, I've been buying cars for 50 years and I've never bought one that wasn't trumped. I own a 427 Vert and it's been an impressive car. I get compliments all the time. Just like the C7 guys will be getting. I loved all the tech stuff of the C7 and would love to have one. But at 64 yrs old and some serious health issues, I decided a 427 Convertible would be all I need. Back in 2001 a friend bought a Z06 Vette, 380 HP. Of course the next year it came with 405 HP rendering my friends 380 HP Z, well not worthless but it killed the value. That would be my biggest concern with the C7. I know the engine is new but they where saying the same thing about the 01 Z06. I sure am curious what 2015 brings for the C7. My guess is there are going to be some disappointed 2014 owners, particularly those who got hosed a little bit with MSRP pricing.
Gary
Very well said. The C7 is fantastic, but when the Z06 is unveiled in January, the regular C7 will be OLD news!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Very well said. The C7 is fantastic, but when the Z06 is unveiled in January, the regular C7 will be OLD news!
This seems to be your theme. You have said the same thing in another thread. You can't wait for the C7 to be old news. Why is that? The C6 has been old news for a long time now so I am assuming you want the C7 to be in the same boat. I have bad news for you. The C7 is not going to be old news for a while. It's been on the road for all of 3 months. As a C7 owner, I will be excited when the C7 Z06 is released. In no way will I suddenly look at my car and consider it old. It's my daily driver and will be for a long time. If anything, the Z06 will merely boast the C7's image.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:08 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
If anything, the Z06 will merely boast the C7's image.
I agree.

The Z06 is, in fact, a C7 ... some talk like it is another generation all together. It will only enhance the C7 line and will be so low volume (relatively) that it isn't possible to make the standard car "old news."

I predict the C7, Stingray and Z06, will have a fantastic life cycle run and will only become old news just before the C8 debuts

Get notified of new replies

To C7 v C6 427 Vert

Old 12-20-2013, 01:48 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
I really dislike the looks of any soft-top convertible when the top is up, so I would stick with the C7. It does look great with the top down however .
agree with your first opinion. note that essentially all models come with a hard top or a soft top, including the C7, so that would not appear to be a reason for choosing the C7. however, the C7 in hard top, with the top removed is a hybrid--half top. like that look best of all, regardless of the year.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

[QUOTE=csf;1585700253]
Originally Posted by RickMN

Winner, winner . . . can now close this thread.

There is no debate the C7 is newer, upgraded and more refined than any C6. But that does not mean it is automatically more desirable to every Corvette customer.

The 427, with its beautiful classic Corvette lines, great performance, exclusivity, and absolutely undeniable connection to all of the great Corvette history makes it a great car to own for those who value those qualities.

The C7, with all its new technology, upgraded materials, modern angular styling, and wonderful performance makes it a great car for those who want the latest and greatest Corvette around.

Undoubtedly, there will eventually be many, many more C7's around then 427's. But both are great cars, and really, how can anyone go wrong with either one, or criticize either choice ?
Said in a respectful way for both 427 and C7 owners...kudos for class!

I own a 427 and really like it. I believe it is the best of the best of the C6 generation. The C7 styling has not grown on me yet, but I did not like the C6 styling when it came out either, but love it now, so time will tell.

No doubt the C7 is an extraordinary car! I don't know if I will ever purchase one, but am proud of the Corvette team because with the technology, they knocked it out of the park. Those that have purchased the C7 should be proud to own the next generation of Corvette.

For now, I will continue to be a proud owner of the last generation of Corvette.

to ALL my Corvette brothers.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=TulsaVette;1585724294]
Originally Posted by csf

Said in a respectful way for both 427 and C7 owners...kudos for class!

I own a 427 and really like it. I believe it is the best of the best of the C6 generation. The C7 styling has not grown on me yet, but I did not like the C6 styling when it came out either, but love it now, so time will tell.

No doubt the C7 is an extraordinary car! I don't know if I will ever purchase one, but am proud of the Corvette team because with the technology, they knocked it out of the park. Those that have purchased the C7 should be proud to own the next generation of Corvette.

For now, I will continue to be a proud owner of the last generation of Corvette.

to ALL my Corvette brothers.
Hear, hear!

Quick Reply: C7 v C6 427 Vert