Hard top convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=J Vette;1585343847]Oh NO!! He didn't just say that did he? Really? Looking a little behind?

Here is a modern version.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Torchblue
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM did have some hardtop convertibles in the past. The Cadillac XLR was one and in fact, was made in the Bowling Green assembly plant. Pontiac also had one on a somewhat larger scale on its' G6. I still have the Pontiac and must say my wife loves it. When the top is up the truck is huge but with the top down you would be lucky to get a small briefcase in it.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I would imagine the trade off would be a track capable Vert vs more expense and weight. I think the Z07 Vert will be expensive enough as is, and most dyed in the wool vert buyers have no intention of tracking their car.

Those that do would install a roll bar (if necessary, don't know) and the pop up, roll over protectors would seem like a better alternative. Just thinking out loud here!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=CRABBYJ;1585343934]
Originally Posted by J Vette
Oh NO!! He didn't just say that did he? Really? Looking a little behind?

Here is a modern version.

New BMW Z4 sDrive 35is (E89) - Roof in operation - YouTube
Indeed, It suffers from the same problem as the 1957 model suffered. No trunk room. My point was that it is NOT a new idea at all.

Originally Posted by Torchblue
GM did have some hardtop convertibles in the past. The Cadillac XLR was one and in fact, was made in the Bowling Green assembly plant. Pontiac also had one on a somewhat larger scale on its' G6. I still have the Pontiac and must say my wife loves it. When the top is up the truck is huge but with the top down you would be lucky to get a small briefcase in it.
And therein lies the problem. Most convertible buyers want to ride with the top down.. I wanted a car that I could take off on a weekend trip to the beach (4 hr drive). So I can throw a couple duffel bags and a few other things in the trunk and ride top down to the beach. The soft top allows for that. The hard top does not.

I like the looks of the soft top as well. However I understand that appearance is a subjective thing. I like the old hard top Vettes as well. But I'm not willing to give up the utility of the soft top.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
Doubtful, despite some speculation of the same from Autoblog which the following photo is attributed.

"Our spy shooter also speculates that the convertible top on this car might not be entirely that which it seems. Noting that when the original Z06 debuted it did so with a smaller, weight-saving hardtop that resembled the size and shape of a convertible top, our master of the long lens postulates that some trickery could be at the heart of this seemingly soft-topped tester. The convertible top seems very convincing to our eyes, however, so it's possible that the simplest answer is the true one here as well."

Wonder what motor this Vert is getting?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=J Vette;1585344148]
Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

Indeed, It suffers from the same problem as the 1957 model suffered. No trunk room. My point was that it is NOT a new idea at all.

And therein lies the problem. Most convertible buyers want to ride with the top down..I wanted a car that I could take off on a weekend trip to the beach (4 hr drive). So I can throw a couple duffel bags and a few other things in the trunk and ride top down to the beach. The soft top allows for that. The hard top does not.

I like the looks of the soft top as well. However I understand that appearance is a subjective thing. I like the old hard top Vettes as well. But I'm not willing to give up the utility of the soft top.
The Z4 solution and with the top down. Note the required top shield is in place for the top to be lowered.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

My 56 offers the better solution.....

The hard top isn't that heavy, but it takes two people to remove/install it. Same trunk space available is 100% of the time.

Cold months, run the hardtop in place. During the warm months or going on a longer overnight cruise; take the hardtop off and leave in the garage and you have 100% of the trunk available and can cruise with the soft top down, and can put it up at the motel or in the rain.

Might be an old idea, but it's still a good idea.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Joe, your '56 is beautiful. The best hardtop vert solution shown yet.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:26 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by joz
Do you think corvettes will ever have convertible hard tops? As in some mercedez and BMWs? I think soft top convertibles are looking a little behind. I know it would probably add 10 grand to the cost. I love my c7 but I would've definitely paid the extra cost for a hard top convertible. Coupe when you want it, convertible when you don't.
Most of the sports car models I see with a hard convert top seem to be aimed towards and driven mainly by women.

I seriously doubt it and if you look at Mercedes for example their most expensive convert the SLS comes with a soft top instead of the hardtop convert of the SL and SLK which according to my son who is with Mercedes seem to be mostly driven by women. Other very high end converts are all soft tops.

I have owned 20 vette converts and like the look of the soft top far better than hard top converts.

Chevy played around with the idea back in 1958 but after building a prototype found that it was just not practical. I took these photos of that proto type at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale when it was shown prior to being auctioned off back in 2005:

Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Wonder what motor this Vert is getting?
I think they will stay with a N.A. motor. What do you think about some of the new architecture, similar to that advanced in the LT1, carried over to the LS7? Whatever it is (I'm not conversant on the new engine technologies), it will be a beast! I can't wait til it comes out!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=RJRSW;1585344453]Most of the sports car models I see with a hard convert top seem to be aimed towards and driven mainly by women.

I seriously doubt it and if you look at Mercedes for example their most expensive convert the SLS comes with a soft top instead of the hardtop convert of the SL and SLK which according to my son who is with Mercedes seem to be mostly driven by women. Other very high end converts are all soft tops.

I have owned 20 vette converts and like the look of the soft top far better than hard top converts.

Chevy played around with the idea back in 1958 but after building a prototype found that it was just not practical. I took these photos of that proto type at Barrett Jackson Scottsdale when it was shown prior to being auctioned off back in 2005:

Thanks for sharing the photos! Very cool!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
I think they will stay with a N.A. motor. What do you think about some of the new architecture, similar to that advanced in the LT1, carried over to the LS7? Whatever it is (I'm not conversant on the new engine technologies), it will be a beast! I can't wait til it comes out!
The LS7 would be awesome if the issues with the heads were corrected.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:44 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Most of the sports car models I see with a hard convert top seem to be aimed towards and driven mainly by women.

I was going to mention that custom built retractable, if someone could do it in 58 I am sure it can be done today
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Oh NO!! He didn't just say that did he? Really? Looking a little behind?

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Skyliner Commercial - YouTube
Here I am back in 1962(in the Air Force) with my 1957 Ford Convertible(notice the custom roll and pleated interior). Since room was always at a premium(no garage or extra bedroom, I used my huge trunk as a storage shed. The folding hard top in 1957 would not have worked for me. Neat idea but not practical for most people(might explain why it was only available as an option for three years).

Oh, and my car was a factory 3 speed on the column, dual four car.

For those that believe they never raced convertibles in NASCAR, here's several 57 Fords at Darlington.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

[QUOTE=CRABBYJ;1585344283]

The Z4 solution and with the top down. Note the required top shield is in place for the top to be lowered.

Interesting. Is that custom luggage made for/by BMW? I can't tell. And Can you get to the luggage with the top down?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Here I am back in 1962(in the Air Force) with my 1957 Ford Convertible(notice the custom roll and pleated interior). Since room was always at a premium(no garage or extra bedroom, I used my huge trunk as a storage shed. The folding hard top in 1957 would not have worked for me. Neat idea but not practical for most people(might explain why it was only available as an option for three years).

Oh, and my car was a factory 3 speed on the column, dual four car.

For those that believe they never raced convertibles in NASCAR, here's several 57 Fords at Darlington.

My 1st car was a 58 Ford sedan. Had 3 speed auto with 312 4bbl taken from a T Bird. The engine was indestructible. I was 16 yr old, full of **** & vinegar. I pushed it every time I drove it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The hardtop converts add more complicated and heavier top system and restrict further the trunk luggage areas far more than a soft top convert.

The top photos are a couple of pics of my 59 ford retractable taken around 1980 and even though the trunk and rear of the car were substantially larger than the 59 soft top convert the luggage area was confined to a bin in the center of the trunk and you would have to put up the top to have access to it. It was a novel idea and sold fairly well considering it cost far more than a soft top and accounted for about 1/4 of convert sales as I recall. The trunk view at the bottom was not my car but gives you a view of the limited bin luggage area.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard top convertible

Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 526 Likes on 316 Posts

Where I live it doesn't really matter but if I were in an area with common break ins to cars I'd rather have the hard top 'vert.

Have a friend in Miami that used to have a convertible mustang and after the top was cut through the 3rd time she opted to never lock the doors again instead.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RJRSW
The hardtop converts add more complicated and heavier top system and restrict further the trunk luggage areas far more than a soft top convert.

The top photos are a couple of pics of my 59 ford retractable taken around 1980 and even though the trunk and rear of the car were substantially larger than the 59 soft top convert the luggage area was confined to a bin in the center of the trunk and you would have to put up the top to have access to it. It was a novel idea and sold fairly well considering it cost far more than a soft top and accounted for about 1/4 of convert sales as I recall. The trunk view at the bottom was not my car but gives you a view of the limited bin luggage area.

A friend had a 59 like yours in the mid 60's. Traded his Falcon convertible for it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Red Lightening
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They already made one called the Cadillac XLR, how quickly we forget.

Quick Reply: Hard top convertible