Disappointed in paint, panel fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

Default Disappointed in paint, panel fit

Saw these three Ron Fellows Vettes at the Venetian Hotel today waiting to be loaded in for SEMA. This is the first opportunity I've had to really spend some time examining the C7.

As the photos show, two of the cars had misaligned rear bumpers. All three had the paint chip right below the third brakelight, and all three cars had extreme orange peel and too much paint at many seam edges. I love the C7 and still hope to buy one, but this stuff is just unacceptable on such an expensive car.....especially when most far cheaper cars do not have such consistent issues. All three cars look like they needed to be block sanded. Seriously?? Worst paint I've even seen on a modern car.

This is such a stunning, amazing car I hope they workout these problems out soon. It's a shame for such a great effort by GM to fall short at the one yard line.
Attached Images    

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 11-03-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

A couple more. The cell phone couldn't really capture a clear shot of the orange peel, but it's even worse than shown in the photo. There isn't any mass produced car that doesn't have some orange peel, but this was pretty bad. Maybe the Ron Fellows cars were early examples with teething issues, but this really has to improve for any long-term legitimacy of the C7 being a world-class car in other areas besides just performance.
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 PM
op z
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 128 Posts

nice 10 step cars
Old 11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

A buddy of mine has a "Porsche friend" who saw the C7 at a Supercar Sunday get together here in SoCal. He remarked that the C7 had horrible orange peel. This is coming from someone not even clued into the problems.

It's embarrassment that cars have gone out like this. I'm pulling for GM to pull it together.

Michael
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Hopefully GM is getting the message that there are QC issues and will address them sooner than later. It's going to get harder to change the impression the longer these issues keep being raised. GM has made great strides in quality on other cars, so this should be non issue by now.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:23 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
A couple more. The cell phone couldn't really capture a clear shot of the orange peel, but it's even worse than shown in the photo. There isn't any mass produced car that doesn't have some orange peel, but this was pretty bad. Maybe the Ron Fellows cars were early examples with teething issues, but this really has to improve for any long-term legitimacy of the C7 being a world-class car in other areas besides just performance.
Mine has similar issues. The bumper chip got fixed under warranty. The orange peel I am going to pay and have wet-sanded, etc...
Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

robots need to be fine tuned to the new angles and obviously this takes time(as in painting hundreds of units). Were the early C-5,6's the same way?
Old 11-04-2013, 08:04 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My Laguna Blue C7:
1) Has no chip issue anywhere including just below the third break light. Or any other noticeable defects for that matter.
2) There is very minimal orange peel anywhere, on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. I've looked at many (50+) C7s and observed that the TR, and Black have the most Orange Peel. VY and AW, not as noticeable. And minimal with the CR, NRB, CG, BS, LB, AND LRG.
3) That misalignment? is on both sides and measures on my C7 to be <1/16". It is a compromise fitment of the rear facia IMO so that it aligns better with the closed hatch and rear quarter fenders along the top edge. I am not concerned.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
My Laguna Blue C7:
1) Has no chip issue anywhere including just below the third break light. Or any other noticeable defects for that matter.
2) There is very minimal orange peel anywhere, on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. I've looked at many (50+) C7s and observed that the TR, and Black have the most Orange Peel. VY and AW, not as noticeable. And minimal with the CR, NRB, CG, BS, LB, AND LRG.
3) That misalignment? is on both sides and measures on my C7 to be <1/16". It is a compromise fitment of the rear facia IMO so that it aligns better with the closed hatch and rear quarter fenders along the top edge. I am not concerned.
OP is easier to see on solid colors. Metallic hides some defects.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Red Lightening
Racer

I just saw a Torch red one at a dealer near me and the paint looked like it was dripped on instead of sprayed it looked horrible.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:26 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Lightening
I just saw a Torch red one at a dealer near me and the paint looked like it was dripped on instead of sprayed it looked horrible.
Same with a CG customer car I saw at Reliable in Springfield Mo this weekend. Saw no paint runs on the sides but the orange peel was heavy and everywhere.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Mike O'Daniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have none of those issues with my TR, vin 4525. ( a little orange peel, but nothing out of the ordinary with red.)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm pretty sure these are the cars that were abused for their dealer sessions in Pahrump a month ago.

To me it looks like the same exact same cars at the Mandalay bay for the car auction. The blue one and the red one were on display. I didn't see the Crystal red though.

I think you have to evaluate real cars on the lot and not these as you really don't know where they came from and what's happened to them. To save money, I'm sure a lot of trial cars are recycled and it makes a lot of sense to use the cars in Pahrump for Sema as it's easy and cheap.

Last edited by Sin City; 11-04-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
yuri_Stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C7 has some, but luckily white helps hide it. I was looking at new Cadillacs for my lady Saturday and noticed the same issue there.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM
dealtimeman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
My Laguna Blue C7:
My laguna blue has a pretty good finish on it. I have take in direct sunlight and gone over it with a bright led bar and I have a couple of areas that could se some light wet sand and buff but will not do it as it is not noticeable while normal viewing of car.

My bumpers and fenders line up very well with maybe a 1/16 difference at on drivers side junction.

I must be petty lucky as. Have not had any problem other than my hatch won't close without one of the doors being open.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Checked out a friend's Laguna Blue this weekend. Definitely a good amount of orange peel. He pointed out some of it himself.

I have orange peel on my C6's, esp right around the license plate alcove on the rear bumper cover, but his seemed to have more.

It may decrease as the plant refines the painting process.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

GM will never fix the problem as long as everyone is excepting the car like that and not complaining!!..IMO there's no excuse for this as you can go on a Hyundai lot and look at a $20,000 Sonata with little or no orange peel.

The ZR1's had a lot of vibration issues that came from faulty carbon ceramic rotors enough complained about it and now GM is fixing that issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Disappointed in paint, panel fit

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svtkeith
GM will never fix the problem as long as everyone is excepting the car like that and not complaining!!..IMO there's no excuse for this as you can go on a Hyundai lot and look at a $20,000 Sonata with little or no orange peel.

The ZR1's had a lot of vibration issues that came from faulty carbon ceramic rotors enough complained about it and now GM is fixing that issue.
What do you suppose GM do, repaint a few thousand cars for orange peel? Yes, my C7 VY has orange peel and way more then the VY C6 I had. The only way I know to get rid of it, is wet sanding it and paying out of my own pocket. My C6 had orange peel and the dealer I bought it new from said that's the way it is, except it.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
My M3 and C63 had orange peel (although the C63 was better)... it isn't just a GM issue it is an industry issue. BMW's are notorious for this.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
What do you suppose GM do, repaint a few thousand cars for orange peel? Yes, my C7 VY has orange peel and way more then the VY C6 I had. The only way I know to get rid of it, is wet sanding it and paying out of my own pocket. My C6 had orange peel and the dealer I bought it new from said that's the way it is, except it.

See it's that exact attitude EXCEPT IT!! that it will never get better..YES they GM should fix the bad ones but it's the cars to come that they can fix in the factory if GM is bombarded with complaints about the paint issues.

I had very little OP on my Z06 and even less on my ZR1 and what's there IS exceptable but not what I'm seeing on here on this site no way!!..just don't understand this except it deal at all.

Quick Reply: Disappointed in paint, panel fit