Sponsored by:

Dropped Off For Paint Correction; Picking Up With 30 Miles Added To Odo

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
Bad news is there was no glitch in my OnStar app. Someone drove my car the extra 30 miles and they have no clue who, where, or why. Had a nice calm chat with the service manager. I could see he was embarrassed and angry all at the same time. No resolution yet, but he promised me he’d get to the bottom of it and get back to me. So, for now, I guess I’m satisfied.
You are a better man than I can ever hope to be, Marvin. The fact that someone drove the car for 30 miles and they haven't a clue who it was or how it happened points to something seriously wrong at that dealership. One cannot help but admire you for keeping your cool; under the same circumstances there's no way I could do it.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:11 AM
LT1xL82
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
... One cannot help but admire you for keeping your cool; under the same circumstances there's no way I could do it.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Honestly, you are better off setting your car on fire than taking it to any GM dealership. I'm 46, a GM lifer, and I've never had a good experience at a GM dealership service department. MINI, VW, Nissan, excellent. GM dealers? Gouge out your own eyes, it is quicker and less painful.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, a brand new car...Under 100miles!! And someone, to whom the SM has no idea took and added 30 miles?!?! Doesnt seem right to me, and to let it go is asinine, imo. The way the OP is handling it is great, but if he doesnt get answers then somethings gotta give, where are peoples morals these days? I dont get it, nobody drives my *hi* without asking me and receiving permission first..its just common courtesy and a respect thing.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:07 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Bad news is there was no glitch in my OnStar app. Someone drove my car the extra 30 miles and they have no clue who, where, or why. Had a nice calm chat with the service manager. I could see he was embarrassed and angry all at the same time. No resolution yet, but he promised me he’d get to the bottom of it and get back to me.
If someone gets fired over it, then I'd say they deserve it. Any dealership should make it a baseline rule that any employee caught joy riding any customer's vehicles will be fired immediately!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
You are a better man than I can ever hope to be, Marvin. The fact that someone drove the car for 30 miles and they haven't a clue who it was or how it happened points to something seriously wrong at that dealership. One cannot help but admire you for keeping your cool; under the same circumstances there's no way I could do it.
That is amazing you are so calm over this
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 AM
cbboarder
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 51 Posts

I took my vehicle in yesterday to address paint (by GM rep), body panel alignment, exhaust, headliner, seat and PTM issues. I took pictures of mileage and rev history. I specifically told the SM that it didn't want the vehicle test driven without my permission and he assured me it would only be driven to the service bay and back. I'm confident everything will be fine.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,431 Likes on 14,046 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

OP - I applaud you for the way you have handled this so far. Will be interesting to hear what the service manager says to you after investigating what happens. There should not have been any logical reason for them to put 30 miles on your car if all the work was done in-house.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let us know how they handle this and if they try to BS you aorund, let them know you will file a complain and write it all over these boards telling what a ****** dealer they are...

Not to sound like an *** but these are the kinda cars that need major mechanical work done @ 30k miles because some jerk off decided to cut the lifespan of your tranny or clutch by about 70%
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Time to let GM know about the extra mileage driven??
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I am sure whoever put the extra 30 miles on it drove it no harder than many of us do to that Hertz rental car you got at the airport
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Marvin did you check out your sister's C7 to see if it had any paint/panel issues?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

I also admire your cool rational approach to this - that would be very hard for me to pull off.

I was raised to break in a car with care, even though I know that some people don't agree with that approach. It would drive me crazy to think that someone that does not care about the car at all drove it and probably abused it. I mean, it is an awesome performance machine - it is almost guaranteed that it was abused - and at low mileage where I would think it could do some actual mechanical damage.

My 390 hp pickup had to be driven in from another city and it bothered the hell out of me to see those early miles put on by someone else, even though I had no reason to think that it was abused. It came with a HP exhaust and it sounds great - you would have to be dead to not put your foot in it, at least a bit.

I am glad to hear that the body work came out well, that you are satisfied with the result and lets hope that nothing bad happened during that 30 miles. There is not really any way that the dealership can compensate you for that.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Typical GM service....no surprise. As someone else stated...the service is the worst part of owning one of these cars.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone drove my car the extra 30 miles and they have no clue who, where, or why. Had a nice calm chat with the service manager. I could see he was embarrassed and angry all at the same time. No resolution yet, but he promised me he’d get to the bottom of it and get back to me.
If the service manager says he has no clue who did it or where or why, then my first suspect would be the service manager himself.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If someone gets fired over it, then I'd say they deserve it. Any dealership should make it a baseline rule that any employee caught joy riding any customer's vehicles will be fired immediately!
I agree, its actually theft. I would want to include the General Manager and owner into the next discussion.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't think you will get anywhere with the service manager. He probably already thinks you are a pushover. It needs to be escalated to the GM/owner quickly. The longer you wait the weaker your argument is. Unless you are ok with what happened.

Get notified of new replies

To Dropped Off For Paint Correction; Picking Up With 30 Miles Added To Odo

Old 11-06-2013, 09:31 AM
stubone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps any all 30 miles were prob done in the exact same place. Burnouts.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
I don't think you will get anywhere with the service manager. He probably already thinks you are a pushover. It needs to be escalated to the GM/owner quickly. The longer you wait the weaker your argument is. Unless you are ok with what happened.

Doesn't really matter at this point, the dealership just needs to do something to make the OP feel better. They can't turn back go back in the past so it never happened, they can turn back the ODO.

What they can do is look through the CCTV, if equipt and see who took it. They could give the a tank of gas, or two. They could give the OP a credit to the parts department. They could do quite a few things that I'm sure will make OP happy.

Would I be upset? Yes. It happened to me once but the dealer had a good excuse so they just gave me a free synthetic oil change and a tank of gas.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
BradSW
Team Owner

Location: From San Diego to Bentonville, AR.....WTF was I thinking?!? Oh yeah, that free state thingy!
Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

My guess......the Service Manager will say they found out who did it and fired him......but you will have no proof as to whether this is true or not.....have to take his word for it, which I doubt will be true.....but he's got to appease you whether honestly or not.

Second, he will offer you one of those pine tree air fresheners to hang on your rear view mirror for your trouble.

Quick Reply: Dropped Off For Paint Correction; Picking Up With 30 Miles Added To Odo