Prepare for starter failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
This is the dumbest thread....lol....wtf....
Not even close
Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightraceblue2014
Today my vehicle shutdown on the busiest highway in Colorado Springs. There is no warning signs, no notice, and no power. The vehicle does not go into auxiliary mode, the doors lock, and the screens go dark. I was stranded in the middle lane of 3 lanes of traffic for over 90 minutes. The cops were patient and stayed until the end. Several things I recommend to prepare for this:

1. Have your starter replaced to prevent this.

2. Become familiar with the towing company. The vehicle does not go into neutral and cannot be placed on a flatbed truck. The front wheels will have to be placed on dollies and the rear wheels lifted up. The vehicle will have to be towed to a safe location in this mode. This is not good for long distance and the towing driver will tell you this.

3. Talk to your warranty company. They only allow one tow per 7 day period. It does not matter if the first tow is to get to a safe location or dealership (that is not familiar with the C7). I have the basic warranty and extended warranty. It did not help.

4. Meet your local dealership. If you did not purchase your vehicle from him it may benefit you in the long run. Talk to the service manager and the technicians that work on the C7. Tell them about this problem and tell them how to jumper around the fuse at the battery. This will restore power to the vehicle and allow the vehicle to go into auxiliary mode (vehicle will go into neutral and can be pushed or placed on a flatbed truck). These starters are not kept on hand at the dealerships.

5. I still love my C7. Things happen! I will update you when my vehicle is returned to me. I have about 850 miles on my vehicle. Most of these were driving from my dealer in Kansas to CO. This was the fourth time my vehicle was driven.

6. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
I don't have a c7, but assume your car is automatic. if it were manual you would not have that problem putting it in neutral. however most automatic cars have a button or keyhole to stick in to be able to put the car in neutral for events like this. check your owners manual.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ltdodge
I don't have a c7, but assume your car is automatic. if it were manual you would not have that problem putting it in neutral. however most automatic cars have a button or keyhole to stick in to be able to put the car in neutral for events like this. check your owners manual.
I was thinking the same thing. However .......... Most peeps are not aware of this feature. It is something that is not covered in drivers ed. I can understand the o/p's angst. Not something I'd want nor expect to happen on a brand new $70 k car.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 AM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man I am going to go have my starter fixed ASAP. thanks for the advice OP. LOL
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 AM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

The thing I question is why the OP believes it's a starter issue. There was NO indication of that in the OP. No power, and no ability to start doesn't in any way indicate a starter issue. It could be battery, battery cable, or any number of other things. How would anyone know it's a starter until the car has been diagnosed??? Too many things in the post that irk me.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
The car completely shutting down would not be because of starter failure.

My car did that when the fuel pump fuse blew out. Car completely shut down, non responsive but it would turn over.

Was that on C7 or diff car?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kdepew
Most likely because the guy posted about his issue and several people either outright called him a liar or suggested his post might be a lie.
What does this have anything to do with whether someone owns a C7 or not? By the responses even you can see it is absolutely irrelevant. But thanks for telling us what the OP was thinking
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I had the same thing happen to me in my 86 pace car convert, the starter suddenly went to a dead short and you loose all electric power to everything in the car almost instantly. You do not have to be engaging the starter for this to happen.

Had to be towed, starter was replaced and that was it, never happened again.
Exactly what happened to my C5. It's deceiving in the logical sense that you would not associate a bad starter to a car that's running one minute and then dies and your left with no electronics, no power, no nothing....
Old 11-03-2013, 10:29 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we ever hear the end of this story I think we'll find out it was a fusible link.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 AM
bgad
Safety Car

Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Sounds more like an alternator problem.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by v8capt
If we ever hear the end of this story I think we'll find out it was a fusible link.
The end of the story is when we find out what caused the fusible link to blow. The fusible link is just a safety item placed between the problem and the rest of the car's wiring.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 AM
REPZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a lot of issues with the C7 being posted , I was thinking on getting one but think I'm going to wait.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcallen484
What does this have anything to do with whether someone owns a C7 or not? By the responses even you can see it is absolutely irrelevant. But thanks for telling us what the OP was thinking
I dont have C7(yet) but read lots of posts so I will be familiar with the car when I get ready to buy. Just like I did before I bought a C6. Also, I probably am just as knowledgeable about how a car operates as the OP and anyone else on here(excluding Talon and "engineers")
Old 11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

I agree with Randy500. Fusible link. Given GM's poor build quality and electrical problems over the years this makes sense to me.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Exactly what happened to my C5. It's deceiving in the logical sense that you would not associate a bad starter to a car that's running one minute and then dies and your left with no electronics, no power, no nothing....
I seem to recall way back when that the starter motor was connected to the ignition switch via the solenoid. And the ignition switch was a major component of keeping the car running as in, faulty ignition switch, no start, or no run because it also powers the engine control and ignition coils. Maybe there's some relevance?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma

When it happened to my 86 pace car convert I didn't guess it was the starter that was the problem when it occured but it turned out it was the starter.

I was driving down River Road in the late 1980's here in Tucson around 11pm and it is a very dark and curvy road when suddenly it happened to my fairly new at the time 86 vette. I was driving about 40-50 mph with a friend of mine in another vette behind me. With no warning and in a instant the car quit and everything went black and dead, the guy behind me nearly ran into the back of me it happened so fast.

The only other person I knew personally that it happened to was a boss I had picked up a brand new Chrysler Imperial and with less that ten miles on the car it died suddenly on the freeway just like the OP and it also was the starter had gone to dead short suddenly with no warning.

Last edited by RJRSW; 11-03-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Prepare for starter failure

Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
stducrider
Intermediate

Please read OP's thread "Priceless". The fuel tank and driveline were on the floor for fuel level sensor replacement the day he took delivery at Hendricks in KS. They said "it will be ok".
Old 11-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,933 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by REPZ06
Seems like a lot of issues with the C7 being posted , I was thinking on getting one but think I'm going to wait.
Probably a good idea.

I rent a lot of cars, and so far I have had a lot more electronic issues with GM cars than the other makes. Examples: tire pressure warning system failure, dash backlighting out, gauges out, voice recognition won't start, etc. Most issues are intermittent. And these are new cars, but not all new models.

Michael
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
This is the dumbest thread....lol....wtf....
You don't visit CFOT much I guess, this isn't even close

Quick Reply: Prepare for starter failure