Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Default Navigation system basics - PDF available

I've finished a quick tutorial on the basics of destination entry using the new 2014 Corvette Stingray MyLink navigation system. It is available as a PDF download on my website here:

http://www.theredlion.us/Navigation%...m%20basics.pdf

Or from the Navigation page of the 2014 Corvette section from the main site:

www.theredlion.us

This tutorial will make up the first section of the complete tutorial coming soon but I wanted to make this quick reference guide available early. As more and more owners start getting in to their cars, I've been getting a few questions lately. I thought this might help.

Enjoy,
Paul
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for putting that together, Paul. Can you shed light on two types of functionality I have tried to find?

1) Store my current location with a single identifier name. It seems to want me to enter a First Name / Last Name full contact. I haven't figured out the way to store something under a quick name like "Home" or "Work" for easy routing back to it later.

2) On a road trip, I often want to enter a city as a destination without knowing a specific address. Just get me somewhere near the town center. Can I do this? If not, it would make a very handy feature addition (present in many other standalone systems).

--Ken
Old 11-02-2013, 05:56 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Thanks for putting that together, Paul. Can you shed light on two types of functionality I have tried to find?

1) Store my current location with a single identifier name. It seems to want me to enter a First Name / Last Name full contact. I haven't figured out the way to store something under a quick name like "Home" or "Work" for easy routing back to it later.

2) On a road trip, I often want to enter a city as a destination without knowing a specific address. Just get me somewhere near the town center. Can I do this? If not, it would make a very handy feature addition (present in many other standalone systems).

--Ken
Ken,

On question 1, the easiest way to do this is to save it as a favorite (drag up the favorites tab and press and hold. It will save the address initially but then from the main settings menu you can go back and modify favorites and rename it to whatever identifier you would like.

If you have all ready saved it to the vehicle contacts, you can edit the displayed name to what ever you want. From the navigation screen, press the menu button and scroll down to Personal Data and select it. From there select edit contacts, select the contact and then edit.

If you choose the Save as Home or Save as Work choice while saving it will allow you to use speech recognition to say "Destination Home" or "Directions to Home" while on the vehicle contact list and using speech recognition.

On question 2, yes, you can simply type in a city or town in the Destination Address Search box on the keyboard and press go.

the other way I have found to do this is to drag the map to the center of a town. You can accomplish this quickly by zooming out to a scale that suits and then zooming in around the area you are in.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:36 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You shouldn't store 'HOME' on a cell phone or a car's navigation system. If you lose your phone, (or have it stolen) and the same thing with your car, 'THE BAD GUY NOW KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE'! And if he, (or she) has just stolen your phone or car, they also know that you're not home. With all of the 'APPS' available on almost anything, they will have access to you house, (through your garage) and have all of the good stuff gone by the time you get home.
The same thing applies to the words 'Husband' or 'Wife' and probably a lot more.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:38 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Paul, I should have PM'd you before I entered that on your thread.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:45 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by MeanDean43
You shouldn't store 'HOME' on a cell phone or a car's navigation system. If you lose your phone, (or have it stolen) and the same thing with your car, 'THE BAD GUY NOW KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE'! And if he, (or she) has just stolen your phone or car, they also know that you're not home. With all of the 'APPS' available on almost anything, they will have access to you house, (through your garage) and have all of the good stuff gone by the time you get home.
The same thing applies to the words 'Husband' or 'Wife' and probably a lot more.
This is fairly commonly known. I've presented this very thing in every navigation seminar I've ever presented.. It is also easily remedied. Simply put an address nearby (or even the local police station just for fun) to get you in to the vicinity.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:50 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I appreciate the tips, Paul!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Bisha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just returned from a 2244 mile trip in my new C7 and this was my first experience with a GM nav system, always used a Garmin before. My one question is, is there a way to get the system to recalculate a route other than canceling it and then re-enabling it? My Garmin's have always recalculated pretty quickly when you deviate from the programed route but this system seems like it never will. The manual, if I am reading it correctly, says that you have to disable the route and then recall it when you want to resume navigation and it will calculate from your current position. Is that my only option?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:13 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Bisha
I just returned from a 2244 mile trip in my new C7 and this was my first experience with a GM nav system, always used a Garmin before. My one question is, is there a way to get the system to recalculate a route other than canceling it and then re-enabling it? My Garmin's have always recalculated pretty quickly when you deviate from the programed route but this system seems like it never will. The manual, if I am reading it correctly, says that you have to disable the route and then recall it when you want to resume navigation and it will calculate from your current position. Is that my only option?
The car will recalculate the route once you are far enough off the route that it is the most efficient way to get you to your destination. The rate at which it will attempt to find you a new route can be affected by the route preferences you have turned on or off. You do not have to cancel your route and re-enable it.

The section of the manual you are citing is simply stating that IF you cancel your route guidance that it will recalculate and resume from your current location once you ask it to.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanDean43
Originally Posted by talon90
This is fairly commonly known. I've presented this very thing in every navigation seminar I've ever presented.. It is also easily remedied. Simply put an address nearby (or even the local police station just for fun) to get you in to the vicinity.
Thanks guys Neither the issue nor the resolution had occurred to me. Gotta change my Garmin
Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Thanks guys Neither the issue nor the resolution had occurred to me. Gotta change my Garmin
Well see. Something good came from it then.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation system basics - PDF available

Quick Reply: Navigation system basics - PDF available