C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nearly 4,000 New Corvettes Sold Last Month, Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 PM
NiteriderFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I recall our rinky dink Chevy store moved an average 5-8 Vettes a month during 2006-2007 models years...we obviously had a decent allocation...we were lucky to sell 5 in a 6 month period between 2008-2009
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

GM, at least the Corvette team, deserve some credit. The car is hot, they priced it well and sales are strong. Next up is the vert. Then the HIPO, which should generate a lot of momentum. I'd say for the foreseeable future the Corvette is alive and well. That's great to see
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
Sustained 30k production? Not a chance, Lance. As I have stated before, this market segment is on the MAJOR decline..In other words, there are not enough ready, willing and able customers out there to sustain these production numbers. Rest assured, Government Motors is fully aware of this. After the first years hype, if they can sustain a run of 15k units, that will be a relative home run.
Remember, and Dave from Kerbeck, feel free to pipe in, for the past two plus years, a 1SA 'Vette could be obtained for under $40k in the wrappers and they still only produced just over 11.5k units a year...Point being, even price could not stir up credible additional sales. And there was nothing wrong with the C6.
I completely agree that the market segment is in a serious decline, but why?;
  • is there more competition for the sports car enthusiasts dollars?
  • Gen X/Y are a different breed of car buyer that doesn't lust after or value hipo cars the way older generations do?
  • is the economy in a state of uncertainty that brings less confidence in a better future?

All three are obstacles for car companies and these are precarious times that require careful manuevering and decision making by any business, especially American businesses. Globalization is a great equalizing force and the effects of it are everywhere, including domestic car sales and competition. Our children have less disposable income and more uncertainty about future economics (and fuel availablity) than we did back in the day when everything went one direction....., up.

Originally Posted by Glen e
and will do so in a heartbeat again.....very scary for the future vette #'s
Indeed. (Glen's comment was on economic uncertainty)

Originally Posted by v26278
GM, at least the Corvette team, deserve some credit. The car is hot, they priced it well and sales are strong. Next up is the vert. Then the HIPO, which should generate a lot of momentum. I'd say for the foreseeable future the Corvette is alive and well. That's great to see
Expect a very hard look by GM at production of a specialized market segment car and a prediction by GM that production numbers of those cars to be quite low, which in turn, largely contributes to selling price, which will further deminish returns. Tricky balance.

Corvette may be the flag ship car for GM, but it is not what they are banking their future on, quite the contrary. It is a market segment entry that is closely watched to determine that segment's ultimate viability. Some of us will see the day that everything changes and that squabbles between forum members over C6 and C7 will look laughable in the face of a future that poses a very different set of issues and choices.

The C7 has renewed interest in a declining sub-segment for GM and don't think that they are not looking for increased market share in the segment. It is their modus operandi. It is about sustinence in a declining segment. A segment that is becoming diversified across more companies and competition.

As can be seen here, GM is and should be focused on trucks. Something that American car companies corner the market in. The ability to produce the C7 comes directly from % market share in trucks and an increasing market share in alternative energy vehicles. Without those, Corvette would not exist. Corvette cannot sustain itself, by itself.

4000 Corvettes is an outstanding number when looked at in this light. Is it sustainable? No. It was queued up, but the good news is that it is a positive sign and that this new design has brought renewed interest in the segment.

Here's some data on competition;

And here is some data that shows trendline, which is what the executives at GM look at and strategically plan with (older, but you can extrapolate this and guess what the rest sort of looks like);

Should you expect a hybrid Corvette in the future? I think yes. It makes sense even as a platform.

One more that shows a decade of roadster/coupe sales of German cars and is indicative of a trend in sports cars.

As far as I can see, this is an interesting game to be played out and one which I will be interested to see the results of. The C7 has upset some of the balance, but there are forces that will greatly influence the car's success that go far beyond the horsepower and 0-60 times.

Sorry for the long post, it wasn't planned.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

great post....
Old 11-02-2013, 12:03 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What you need to find is the pre orders. People a year or year and half before intro.
After the rush is filled, than find how many ordered are going in
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
I completely agree that the market segment is in a serious decline, but why?;
  • is there more competition for the sports car enthusiasts dollars?
  • Gen X/Y are a different breed of car buyer that doesn't lust after or value hipo cars the way older generations do?
  • is the economy in a state of uncertainty that brings less confidence in a better future?

All three are obstacles for car companies and these are precarious times that require careful manuevering and decision making by any business, especially American businesses. Globalization is a great equalizing force and the effects of it are everywhere, including domestic car sales and competition. Our children have less disposable income and more uncertainty about future economics (and fuel availablity) than we did back in the day when everything went one direction....., up.

Indeed. (Glen's comment was on economic uncertainty)

Expect a very hard look by GM at production of a specialized market segment car and a prediction by GM that production numbers of those cars to be quite low, which in turn, largely contributes to selling price, which will further deminish returns. Tricky balance.

Corvette may be the flag ship car for GM, but it is not what they are banking their future on, quite the contrary. It is a market segment entry that is closely watched to determine that segment's ultimate viability. Some of us will see the day that everything changes and that squabbles between forum members over C6 and C7 will look laughable in the face of a future that poses a very different set of issues and choices.

The C7 has renewed interest in a declining sub-segment for GM and don't think that they are not looking for increased market share in the segment. It is their modus operandi. It is about sustinence in a declining segment. A segment that is becoming diversified across more companies and competition.

As can be seen here, GM is and should be focused on trucks. Something that American car companies corner the market in. The ability to produce the C7 comes directly from % market share in trucks and an increasing market share in alternative energy vehicles. Without those, Corvette would not exist. Corvette cannot sustain itself, by itself.

4000 Corvettes is an outstanding number when looked at in this light. Is it sustainable? No. It was queued up, but the good news is that it is a positive sign and that this new design has brought renewed interest in the segment.

Here's some data on competition;

And here is some data that shows trendline, which is what the executives at GM look at and strategically plan with (older, but you can extrapolate this and guess what the rest sort of looks like);

Should you expect a hybrid Corvette in the future? I think yes. It makes sense even as a platform.

One more that shows a decade of roadster/coupe sales of German cars and is indicative of a trend in sports cars.

As far as I can see, this is an interesting game to be played out and one which I will be interested to see the results of. The C7 has upset some of the balance, but there are forces that will greatly influence the car's success that go far beyond the horsepower and 0-60 times.

Sorry for the long post, it wasn't planned.
Fantastic post… real data always tells the tale…..
Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 AM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

All good points, but as someone famously stated, the future's uncertain and the end is always near, let it roll, baby, roll.
You can look forward to the end of Corvettes as we know them, I'm looking forward to a C7.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by v26278
All good points, but as someone famously stated, the future's uncertain and the end is always near, let it roll, baby, roll.
You can look forward to the end of Corvettes as we know them, I'm looking forward to a C7.
Me too.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

I am very much looking forward to a C7 of my own as well and I have had only casual interest in any Corvette since the C3. The C7 is obviously being well received by the long term Corvette faithful which I believe is essential to the continued success of the model. But I am proof that it is also generating interest from sports car lovers who would not have considered a Vette in the past, which could very well be a key to segment growth for the model.

I know that the big dollars roll in from other market segments, but a car of the technical sophistication of the C7 adds credibility to GM across the board and I think it will remain a viable part of their product strategy well into the future. The C7 is also a clear sign that GM can play in any market segment now and intends to retake its place at the top of the automotive world. I for one applaud that attitude and what it implies for our whole country in an increasingly global marketplace.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:43 AM
asphaltrecycler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well done with the facts and figures!
Would be interesting to see the same data trends for well equipped full-size pickups...Kinda funny, back in 2005, I bought one of the first King Ranch F-150's in Connecticut...No one know what a King Ranch was....People thought I was outa my tree flopping down $44k for a pickup..Now they are a very common sight...
Go figure!
Old 11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by asphaltrecycler
Very well done with the facts and figures!
Would be interesting to see the same data trends for well equipped full-size pickups...Kinda funny, back in 2005, I bought one of the first King Ranch F-150's in Connecticut...No one know what a King Ranch was....People thought I was outa my tree flopping down $44k for a pickup..Now they are a very common sight...
Go figure!
Almost three years ago I paid $47k for a pickup and even I wondered if I might be crazy! If I hadn't traded in a perfectly useable truck on my current daily driver, I would have a deposit down on a C7 right now. Oh well, I can wait and I predict that over time the C7 will just get better and better.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:31 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
C5's ran around 31,000-35,000 annually for it's entire run(except for 1997 when they only had ~5 months of production). I still see plenty of them running around today.

I do see more homeless people on the corners than C5's though.

Quick Reply: Nearly 4,000 New Corvettes Sold Last Month, Wow!