Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

December Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

These constant Porsche versus Corvette debates are always such total nonsense.

There is no single car that is perfect, nor is there any one car that will appeal to every driver's taste. Personally, I love sports cars; I love performance cars. I've owned three Vettes, including two C6's, and now own a Porsche. I've enjoyed all these cars and have not lost my long term interest in the Vette and the new C7.

I think the C7 is an exciting new Corvette and have nothing bad to say about it. It's a true bargain, as Vettes have always been. The Porsche is, without a doubt, overpriced but still an amazing car to drive. When talking about performance/sport cars, I really don't care much about resale value or image, since I'm buying the car I want.

There are lots of discussions going on at the various Porsche forums about the C7, and very few ever get into the name calling and insults I see thrown around here. Yes, there are always a few trolls everywhere, but the consensus is that GM has done a great job with the C7.

There are many enthusiasts out there who can appreciate the virtues of both the Corvette and the Porsche brand. Mindless banter about "snob Porsche owners" does nothing to enhance the image of Corvette fans ... in fact, it reflects poorly on those who feel compelled to hurl derogatory remarks at owners of other car brands.

The Corvette and the Porsche have co-existed for many years, and will continue to compete with each other for many more. Both brands have benefitted from this rivalry. They take very different approaches to producing a world class sports car, and both have huge followings of dedicated fans. They are both incredible machines and I am glad they're here.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
You get what you pay for. MSRP isn't the whole story. Resale value also plays a part.
I have owned both Corvette and Porsche as well and will never return to Corvette. The bottom line of the article is the comment regarding the Porsch. "I'm embarrassed saying how good this car is. The fact remains it is the current world standard" There is no misunderstand that comment.
One thing I have learned over the years is to never say "never". Things change.

Michael
Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
HHughes1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
With your thoughts. I was particularly curious about the section of your Post that I highlighted in bold - the "you have $65k to spend proposal".

So I took 5 of the examples you provided and using Autotrader.Com, and included all listed cars of the models specified for just the 1 appropriate year - it produced some very interesting results. How much of a value is the C7 - let's look:

you have $65K to spend -

1. 2014 C7 Corvette - $65k, you're good to go
2. 2014 Boxster S - $65k, need another $16k cash = $81k New Average
3. 8 year old Ferrari F430 - $65k - bring $25k more - = $90k Used Average
4. 3 year old Porsche 911 - $65k - plus $28k more = $93k Used Average
5. 4 year old Aston - $65k - load up with $$55k more - $120k Used Average

Soooooooo . . . . you've got $65k to spend - 2014 C7 can be yours. That same money won't even buy a new Boxster S, a 3 year old used 911, a 4 year old used Aston or an 8 year old used F430.

Kinda puts the value of the C7 in perspective
Add on the difference in maintenance costs as well as un-warrantied repairs. Better have a deep reserve waiting behind that "$65,000".
Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

I don't know why everyone gets so worked up on these comparison reviews with point systems. The entire point system is arbitrary. In fact, it is so arbitrary, it usually changes for every comparison test. That like changing the scoring system for every football game.

The manufacturers do not build cars to magazine test point systems. The only point system that matters is YOUR point system. Put in your own points, and then you decide the winner.

Michael
Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Originally Posted by StanNH
These constant Porsche versus Corvette debates are always such total nonsense.

There is no single car that is perfect, nor is there any one car that will appeal to every driver's taste. Personally, I love sports cars; I love performance cars. I've owned three Vettes, including two C6's, and now own a Porsche. I've enjoyed all these cars and have not lost my long term interest in the Vette and the new C7.

I think the C7 is an exciting new Corvette and have nothing bad to say about it. It's a true bargain, as Vettes have always been. The Porsche is, without a doubt, overpriced but still an amazing car to drive. When talking about performance/sport cars, I really don't care much about resale value or image, since I'm buying the car I want.

There are lots of discussions going on at the various Porsche forums about the C7, and very few ever get into the name calling and insults I see thrown around here. Yes, there are always a few trolls everywhere, but the consensus is that GM has done a great job with the C7.

There are many enthusiasts out there who can appreciate the virtues of both the Corvette and the Porsche brand. Mindless banter about "snob Porsche owners" does nothing to enhance the image of Corvette fans ... in fact, it reflects poorly on those who feel compelled to hurl derogatory remarks at owners of other car brands.

The Corvette and the Porsche have co-existed for many years, and will continue to compete with each other for many more. Both brands have benefitted from this rivalry. They take very different approaches to producing a world class sports car, and both have huge followings of dedicated fans. They are both incredible machines and I am glad they're here.
Stan I agree with what you say. Both cars are great, the stereotypes are silly. And I would love to have a Cayman S or 911, as most car guys would. But as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, it is just that I just can't get my head around the pricing, even as a guy who could pay it. If the 911 was 20k more than the C7, or even 30k, Ok I guess...But when you start getting into the 50k plus range, it's just insane. So...if somebody wants to buy the 911, great, it's their dream and Porsche runs a successful business capitalizing on that desire, good for them too. But I find it hard to believe, that in their heart of hearts, that a guy driving a 120k or 130k 911 really believes he has 60 grand worth of better materials or build quality. The last C&D had a comparison where the 911 was like 150k (not a GT3...Not a Turbo)...EVEN the C&D guys couldn't get their heads around that.

(having said all that.. I know I know....a camry or cobalt guy who thinks a car is needed only to transport your body from A to B would ask Vette owners "hey what does the extra 40k get?")
Old 11-01-2013, 06:42 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Excellent video on U Tube
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... I have owned both Corvette and Porsche as well and will never return to Corvette. ... .
OK, so you comment to bash the Corvette. Again. You do that lately ad nauseam.

We all know folks don't have to own a Corvette to belong to CF, nor does every CF member have to be a Corvette fan. I'm curious though why you continue to hide behind the Colorado C6 name? Colorado Boxster or just Colorado may be better.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:21 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

You get what you pay for. MSRP isn't the whole story. Resale value also plays a part.
I have owned both Corvette and Porsche as well and will never return to Corvette. The bottom line of the article is the comment regarding the Porsch. "I'm embarrassed saying how good this car is. The fact remains it is the current world standard" There is no misunderstand that comment.
Keep telling yourself that crap and you might actually believe it someday. The truth is that Porsche has become a hideously bad value and any auto enthusiast with a double digit IQ knows this.

60 some grand for your base level Boxster, indeed. Comparing your pathetic little overpriced go cart to the new C7 Corvette is nothing shy of a joke.

You got bent over Pal. All your Corvette bashing won't do anything more than demonstrate your insecurity and high degree of remorse regarding your Boxster purchase. Cut your losses, sell the Boxster to a woman for whom the car is marketed to and move up to the new bad boy in town-The C7 Corvette!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:23 PM
CristinaIB
Intermediate

Sorry if somebody already shared this for you, but I believe this is the article you were looking for:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...rse-neunelfer/

The comparo the C7 won was in November's Car and Driver.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...ainst-the-911/

Last edited by CristinaIB; 11-01-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
OK, so you comment to bash the Corvette. Again. You do that lately ad nauseam.

We all know folks don't have to own a Corvette to belong to CF, nor does every CF member have to be a Corvette fan. I'm curious though why you continue to hide behind the Colorado C6 name? Colorado Boxster or just Colorado may be better.

^ Hides in very way - no personnel info in his profile - no friends made- no cars in 'his CF garage'.

It is universally known that bullies, including today's keyboard variety, are de facto cowards. Egomaniacs with inferiority complexes as it were. IMHO, anyone who frequents a public 'shared enthusiasts' forum, specifically to rain agitation and discord on it's members, leads a very sad existence.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

You all know me by my handle of Colorado C6 so I see no need to change it. I visit this forum in order to express my opinion regarding Corvettes. That would include my C6 and other Corvettes I have owned since 1975. The 6.5 is ugly at any price. It is way behind the curve as compared to other sports cars. More competition coming which will make the C6.5 look even worse.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drmustang
Keep telling yourself that crap and you might actually believe it someday. The truth is that Porsche has become a hideously bad value and any auto enthusiast with a double digit IQ knows this.

60 some grand for your base level Boxster, indeed. Comparing your pathetic little overpriced go cart to the new C7 Corvette is nothing shy of a joke.

You got bent over Pal. All your Corvette bashing won't do anything more than demonstrate your insecurity and high degree of remorse regarding your Boxster purchase. Cut your losses, sell the Boxster to a woman for whom the car is marketed to and move up to the new bad boy in town-The C7 Corvette!
This sounds like the same thing he is doing, just different words and cars.

Michael
Old 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ Hides in very way - no personnel info in his profile - no friends made- no cars in 'his CF garage'.
... .
Well, I'm guilty of two of three listed, but only as of two weeks ago. After a nasty run-in with three CF members in OT where some of my info was copied and posted, I deleted everything in my profile and images. An admin deleted the posts, and I'll probably re-populate my profile soon.

I re-loaded profile information.

Last edited by jackhall99; 11-02-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You all know me by my handle of Colorado C6 so I see no need to change it. I visit this forum in order to express my opinion regarding Corvettes. That would include my C6 and other Corvettes I have owned since 1975. The 6.5 is ugly at any price. It is way behind the curve as compared to other sports cars. More competition coming which will make the C6.5 look even worse.
Grow up. C 6.5 is so "yesterday", as the little grade school kids would say. It's a C7, and right now it's not behind the curve in almost any regard, except in you mind, and a few others who post here.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

This is so bizarre to see the same ongoing discussion over and over again..

The corvette is better.....then we have...no the 911 is better...

Honestly I d prefer the Ferrari if your paying.

Same price. Corvette or 911?

I'd buy the corvette ....

Seems Colorado c6 prefers his booster....which is fine with me.

Why he tells us continually is beyond logic and is (fill in the blank)
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM
GSIRM3
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
With regard to the resale comment above, 4 - 5 year old Porsches seem to have b/n 45-55% of their value (at least the ones I've seen). Not much different than Corvettes.
You're right. As the owner of many Porsche 911's, I can tell you the depreciation is painful. My current 2012 Carrera GTS with 7,000 miles and a $124,000 MSRP would bring about $84,000 on trade for a new 991, and maybe $88,000 for private party sale.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
and I'm a Porsche fan too but the new C7 is a wise logical choice for the $ involved.

IMO, taking a 50% hit on a 125k sports car is more painful than taking a 50% cut on a 60K sports car. Same principle in my experience when I took nearly 70% hit on a 80K AMG I previously had.
OMG AMG's could very well be the worst resale car in history. Anyone who buys a brand new AMG is out of their mind.

Get notified of new replies

To December Motor Trend

Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

What amazes me about the 911/Corvette pee contest and comparisons is that:

1. They are both great cars IMHO,

2. the pricing differential has been the same approximately % wise since 1965,

3. the Corvette's comparable models kick the snot out of the Porsche in objective tests, and

4. the writers give the nod to Porsche on subjective issues.

This is as it has been for 50 years. I believe the C7 will "win" a few battles at the bottom line this year from some knowledgeable folks, but if that does not happen the Sun will still rise tomorrow morning!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJDVET111
If the 911 was 20k more than the C7, or even 30k, Ok I guess...But when you start getting into the 50k plus range, it's just insane. So...if somebody wants to buy the 911, great, it's their dream and Porsche runs a successful business capitalizing on that desire, good for them too. But I find it hard to believe, that in their heart of hearts, that a guy driving a 120k or 130k 911 really believes he has 60 grand worth of better materials or build quality. The last C&D had a comparison where the 911 was like 150k (not a GT3...Not a Turbo)...EVEN the C&D guys couldn't get their heads around that.
Why would 30k be OK, but not 50k? What's the rationale for the discrepancy in attitude between a $20k price difference, spread across 4 years of car payments, which some people in that segment can make with a good quarterly bonus?
I think for most people, they aren't so anally retentive to look at cars so pedantically. All they know is what they want, what they can afford, and when the two line up, it's game on. For others, they might not see it as having better materials or build quality. They could see it as having better materials and build quality. And the ability to option it up specifically to their particular tastes. And for the available technology, safety, and convenience items not found on the Corvette at any price. And, yes, some also make use of the back seats, the more rearward weight distribution that better puts down the power in inclement weather, and the very special feel of a car that doesn't have its engine in the nose.
If you look at cars through the very narrow prism of objective bang/buck, then yes the 911 looks like a poor value. But really only against the Corvette (or Viper). Against cars that it more broadly competes against in the market, where people do not look through such a narrow prism, then it can look like an exceedingly good value. A Mercedes SL starts at $104k, and isn't any faster. BMW M6 starts at $114k, isn't any faster and doesn't offer any greater luxury (and from what I've seen its build quality isn't quite as good). R8 is also $114k and no faster nor a better driver's car. Jaguar XK? Not quite there. F-Type is cheaper, but has neither the overall performance nor configurability and versatility of the 911. $200k Ferrari California? Not really. Ditto the V8 Vantage, which was Aston's response to the 911.
A car like the 911 is not insanely priced, when compared to other cars available on the market. Simply because it offers less objective bang/buck than 1 or 2 other cars doesn't make it overpriced. Those 1 or 2 other cars could be seen as exceptionally good values, when viewed through that prism. The free market has self-correction mechanisms built in, to curb hubris and overreach. When Porsche prices are reduced, then we will know they are objectively overpriced.
As for the C&D guys, I doubt they are making anywhere near enough money to realistically afford a $140k Porsche. Other journalists of other magazines, who are well enough off, sometimes do make that much money. And yes, some of them do buy Porsches.

Last edited by Guibo; 11-01-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
MJDVET111
Instructor

Originally Posted by Guibo
Why would 30k be OK, but not 50k? What's the rationale for the discrepancy in attitude between a $20k price difference, spread across 4 years of car payments, which some people in that segment can make with a good quarterly bonus?
I think for most people, they aren't so anally retentive to look at cars so pedantically. All they know is what they want, what they can afford, and when the two line up, it's game on. For others, they might not see it as having better materials or build quality. They could see it as having better materials and build quality. And the ability to option it up specifically to their particular tastes. And for the available technology, safety, and convenience items not found on the Corvette at any price. And, yes, some also make use of the back seats, the more rearward weight distribution that better puts down the power in inclement weather, and the very special feel of a car that doesn't have its engine in the nose.
If you look at cars through the very narrow prism of objective bang/buck, then yes the 911 looks like a poor value. But really only against the Corvette (or Viper). Against cars that it more broadly competes against in the market, where people do not look through such a narrow prism, then it can look like an exceedingly good value. A Mercedes SL starts at $104k, and isn't any faster. BMW M6 starts at $114k, isn't any faster and doesn't offer any greater luxury (and from what I've seen its build quality isn't quite as good). R8 is also $114k and no faster nor a better driver's car. Jaguar XK? Not quite there. F-Type is cheaper, but has neither the overall performance nor configurability and versatility of the 911. $200k Ferrari California? Not really. Ditto the V8 Vantage, which was Aston's response to the 911.
A car like the 911 is not insanely priced, when compared to other cars available on the market. Simply because it offers less objective bang/buck than 1 or 2 other cars doesn't make it overpriced. Those 1 or 2 other cars could be seen as exceptionally good values, when viewed through that prism. The free market has self-correction mechanisms built in, to curb hubris and overreach. When Porsche prices are reduced, then we will know they are objectively overpriced.
As for the C&D guys, I doubt they are making anywhere near enough money to realistically afford a $140k Porsche. Other journalists of other magazines, who are well enough off, sometimes do make that much money. And yes, some of them do buy Porsches.
You are correct, many 911 buyers aren't looking at the price as an issue at all, they don't care about that marginal 30k or 50k, and many are looking at it when compared to the other 100k+ German stuff you mentioned, so the Porsche price is inline if not a bargain.

So I guess it all comes to context, of who is making the purchase, and what the comparison is. For me, it is C7 or 911. (which is sort of the point of this forum, right?) So I don't have the prices of the SL or M6 to make the 911 look rational price wise. And when I look at the 911 in that context of versus c7, I try to look at it's objective and subjective advantages and weigh those against the higher price. Since I like the 911, and would like to try one, I can see some advantages in materials and build quality, so yeah, if it was 20k more, Ok I'll bite. But not 50k. Maybe I'm cheap, but even if I can afford something, I don't like feeling bent over and abused at the bargaining table on any deal

No different than buying stocks I guess, e.g. "I like the company, I hate the stock price as it makes no sense to me (too high)"

Quick Reply: December Motor Trend