C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumor or fact C7 7 speed auto trans for 2015?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:06 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

New transmission will be announced in January.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by 690 HP V
So silly. Don't care about the gear spread? Wow. The "Just whip that gear set together and put it in a case" guy here wants the precision of a DCT. Errrrrrr. And then the $15K price increase along with reliability issues known for DC's is not needed.
He doesn't want to have to think that much into it. Assume all of those things will be right on (I seriously want to trust whoever designs the car to be that good - no errors in gear ratio choice). He just wants the benefits of a DCT. If the gearing isn't right, of course no one will like it. That should just be a given. Make a DCT, gear it correctly, make it where it's no more hassle than most (I know there are extra services, etc), make it handle a lot of torque, and make it less than $10k as an option. We want it all. Go.

Fun part? I'm serious.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Its a sports car, learn to drive a manual !
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
There is little need for many gears on the vette because the powerband is wide and can be held across the rpm range without the need to continuously shift...
Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by DCTandAWD?
Snoring-
Since that slushbox of yours is only good for drag racing, why don't you drop it off at ECS so your car will actually be first at something worth talking about...... getting a blower.

Not to get in the middle of your lovers quarrel, but we already have a blower on a C7, so he wouldn't be first at that.

Carry on.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Br0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
BMW M cars are not performance/race cars, they're street cars.

Race cars use sequential gearboxes.
LOL ok... M cars are not performance cars? And who said anything about them being race cars? (Besides the variant used in ALMS, and yes i know they have a semi-auto sequential) Yes they are street cars just like the vette, and yes they ARE performance cars...I am taken aback as to how you could possibly say they are not performance cars...

How about the 458 Italia? How about the McLaren MP4-12C, or the 911, or the SLS AMG, or the California, etc etc etc that all use dual clutch systems... Are these all "not performance cars?"

How about the track only (NON-STREET CAR) McLaren 12C GT Sprint car that uses a dual clutch?

You are correct about racecars not using DCT at the higher levels (because they are illegal and the durability of the dog clutch sequentials) However they are being used more and more at the club levels and more and more are preferring DCT in SCCA.

Originally Posted by 690 HP V
So silly. Don't care about the gear spread? Wow. The "Just whip that gear set together and put it in a case" guy here wants the precision of a DCT. Errrrrrr. And then the $15K price increase along with reliability issues known for DC's is not needed.
Gear spread is not my concern, as that goes without saying and the vette would do just fine with a DCT 6 or 7 speed, regardless. Im sure GM will place the proper spread as every car manufacturer on planet earth does.

Proper tuning of the DCT is the main concern, reliability goes hand in hand with this.

Originally Posted by Ryan Bell
He doesn't want to have to think that much into it. Assume all of those things will be right on (I seriously want to trust whoever designs the car to be that good - no errors in gear ratio choice). He just wants the benefits of a DCT. If the gearing isn't right, of course no one will like it. That should just be a given. Make a DCT, gear it correctly, make it where it's no more hassle than most (I know there are extra services, etc), make it handle a lot of torque, and make it less than $10k as an option. We want it all. Go.

Fun part? I'm serious.
Thank you . I'm sorry it had to come to you having to state the obvious for others.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Lexus ISF 8 Speed

Originally Posted by skank
DCT is not necessary. Give us a very fast automatic like the Aisin transmission which has shift times as fast as Porsches PDK. With Corvettes wide torque band a DCT is just a waste. Here is a transmission that is just as fast as a PDK.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_p...rticle_id=1519
Traded my 1999 C5 for a 2005 C6 with the A4. Traded the C6 for the Lexus ISF with the 8 spd auto. Locks the torque converter in all but 1st. Must get out of 1st in a hurry as the ISF lights up the Michelins all the way to 2nd & beyond.

It is an amazing transmission. I will soon buy a a C7, but am waiting to see if GM offers the 8 spd auto in the C7 2015. If not, will go with the C7 with the A6.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Br0
LOL ok... M cars are not performance cars? And who said anything about them being race cars? (Besides the variant used in ALMS, and yes i know they have a semi-auto sequential) Yes they are street cars just like the vette, and yes they ARE performance cars...I am taken aback as to how you could possibly say they are not performance cars...
How can I say this? Well, because one time, I actually drove a 2012 M3 with a DCT for about a month while the owner was away. If that's a "performance" car, then my mother's X5 could be called a "sports" SUV.

I've also driven a 911 and a GTR shortly. Those are cars that I can get behind having a DCT. They are both in excess of 100k new.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S
Traded my 1999 C5 for a 2005 C6 with the A4. Traded the C6 for the Lexus ISF with the 8 spd auto. Locks the torque converter in all but 1st. Must get out of 1st in a hurry as the ISF lights up the Michelins all the way to 2nd & beyond.

It is an amazing transmission. I will soon buy a a C7, but am waiting to see if GM offers the 8 spd auto in the C7 2015. If not, will go with the C7 with the A6.
I've read nothing but great reviews on this Aisin AA80E transmission. Maybe the DCT fanboys will actually read up about this alternative concept. Tadge has explained the issues of a DCT numerous times now. You would think the DCT fanboys would read, concentrate, and listen.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:34 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I've read nothing but great reviews on this Aisin AA80E transmission. Maybe the DCT fanboys will actually read up about this alternative concept. Tadge has explained the issues of a DCT numerous times now. You would think the DCT fanboys would read, concentrate, and listen.
I don't think anybody needs to be condescending here. Why can't we just agree that the A6 is long in the tooth and needs to be replaced with something better. Who cares what its called.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Snoring-
Since that slushbox of yours is only good for drag racing, why don't you drop it off at ECS so your car will actually be first at something worth talking about...... getting a blower.
Only good for drag racing? How would the "DCT" be that much better?
Old 10-31-2013, 11:43 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Rumor has it that either an 8 spd ZF sourced ( german tranny maker) auto and /or a DCT is on the horizon. Likely GM will do what they did when the C6 was introduced. The first year of the C6, 2005, had the holdover A4 tranny used in the C5. The second year of production of the C6, they introduced the A6, which was a POS when operated in manual mode with the paddles. Ask me how I know( it has been dramatically improved starting in 08 with the best version in the C7). One thing GM knows, is most vette junkies are like the proverbial donkey in pursuit of the carrot. All GM has to do, is bring on carefully calculated enhancements, or better yet just make a few cosmetic changes and the faithful will beg borrow and steal to buy a new vette. Again, ask me how I know. As an example, if GM comes out with an 8 spd auto/ 7 spd DCT in 2015, tons of guys who bought 2014 C7/A6's will replace them with 2015 C7's with the new auto tranny. IE, the donkey after the carrot.

A modern tranny is a necessity to keep the vette ( and CTS-V,ATS-V,etc) relevant with BMW and Porsche, so expect to hear about one, either at the Detroit auto show in January or the bash in April when the 2015 models are revealed.

Last edited by musclecar6; 10-31-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
But to regain focus and direction on this thread--- is anything other than the A6 just rumor at this point as far as we know?
It is rumor until GM tells us what is in the 15. I am not aware of GM announcing the 15 auto trans yet.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by wolf8218
How can I say this? Well, because one time, I actually drove a 2012 M3 with a DCT for about a month while the owner was away. If that's a "performance" car, then my mother's X5 could be called a "sports" SUV.

I've also driven a 911 and a GTR shortly. Those are cars that I can get behind having a DCT. They are both in excess of 100k new.
I've driven all you mentioned as well, and congrats on a cool story but you're pretty alone in thinking the M3 isn't a performance car "cause you drove one for a month and didn't care for it" LOL...Every reputable car review source on the planet would disagree with you, but that's ok you drove one for a month.

What does 100k price of a car have to do with a thing we are discussing? And comparing an M3 to an X5?! Lol GTFO dude

There are arguments for both, I like many prefer DCT, hell even many ISF owners would have liked to see a DCT as opposed to the Aisin. It appears McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc feel the same way. They must be fanboys, they should have listened to "Tadge", whoever the fak that is.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:29 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
It is rumor until GM tells us what is in the 15. I am not aware of GM announcing the 15 auto trans yet.
Hey, at least you tried
Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Br0
Instructor

Tadge is the current chief engineer for Corvette. He is also the head cheerleader who spews BS excuses for why C7 didn't launch with a DCT. Any educated Corvette owner like myself sees through the PR spin and lies and is refusing to buy another new Corvette until GM gives us the OPTION of a modern DCT. Every educated car person and manufacturer isn't wrong about DCT. GM is the one who is wrong and needs to offer a DCT for 2015 or ASAP.
I'm somewhat new to the corvette platform as a whole (minus knowledge on the LT/LS engines alone) so excuse my ignorance to who Tadge is, or what he said or didn't say, but I do know what other professionals across the auto industry have said in regards to the DCT, as well as seen the advantages first hand like many of you.

Last edited by Br0; 10-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:43 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

New RWD Cadillac's for 2014 at least will get AISIN eight-speed automatics in the TL-80SN, per a short-term agreement between GM and AISIN. The heavy-duty variant TR-80SD in my TDI Touareg is one of the best things about the entire vehicle, it's a very stout transmission.

It was rumored that the new C7 auto would be AISIN and it probably should have been per this agreement between GM and AISIN, but we'll have to see how far GM gets with their own eight speed autos before MY 2015 to see if GM will resort to a Japanese transmission in their Corvette, (which is probably exactly why they didn't port it over into the C7.)

If anything, I'm disappointed that GM didn't take the up-rated 6L90 from the Camaro ZL1 and use it for the C7 as it's 6L80 isn't able to absorb as much torque, and as we all are learning, the new LT1 is a very high-torque engine.

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-20...es-290345.html

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2492

Last edited by BigVette427; 10-31-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumor or fact C7 7 speed auto trans for 2015?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:49 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Rumor has it that either an 8 spd ZF sourced ( german tranny maker) auto and /or a DCT is on the horizon. Likely GM will do what they did when the C6 was introduced. The first year of the C6, 2005, had the holdover A4 tranny used in the C5. The second year of production of the C6, they introduced the A6, which was a POS when operated in manual mode with the paddles. Ask me how I know( it has been dramatically improved starting in 08 with the best version in the C7). One thing GM knows, is most vette junkies are like the proverbial donkey in pursuit of the carrot. All GM has to do, is bring on carefully calculated enhancements, or better yet just make a few cosmetic changes and the faithful will beg borrow and steal to buy a new vette. Again, ask me how I know. As an example, if GM comes out with an 8 spd auto/ 7 spd DCT in 2015, tons of guys who bought 2014 C7/A6's will replace them with 2015 C7's with the new auto tranny. IE, the donkey after the carrot.

A modern tranny is a necessity to keep the vette ( and CTS-V,ATS-V,etc) relevant with BMW and Porsche, so expect to hear about one, either at the Detroit auto show in January or the bash in April when the 2015 models are revealed.
It is nice to now know that we Corvette owners are nothing more than a hoard of mindless "Donkeys" chasing a carrot. Please Dude, give us a break. Seriously, do you honestly think that GM is the only car manufacturer who upgrades their product?
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
I'm somewhat new to the corvette platform as a whole (minus knowledge on the LT/LS engines alone) so excuse my ignorance to who Tadge is, or what he said or didn't say, but I do know what other professionals across the auto industry have said in regards to the DCT, as well as seen the advantages first hand like many of you.
There is no doubt that a DCT would probably propagate faster lap times, but at what cost??? I was at Laguna Seca when they did the C7 vs 911 4S vs Ferrari F12. How can you justify the DCT expenditure on the Corvette when the $450,000.00 Ferrari and the Corvette essentially matched times around Laguna. Reminding you that Ferrari toute's the F12 as their fastest production car ever around Fiorano.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:57 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 525 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
It appears McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc feel the same way. They must be fanboys, they should have listened to "Tadge", whoever the fak that is.
You do realize that the price is excessive? Maintenance is expensive, etc?

Corvette has never been a "money is no object" marque. If you want a DCT go buy one of the brands you listed and move along. I believe the DCT is a 10k option on the audi, putting the base model at what, 125 grand?

Quick Reply: Rumor or fact C7 7 speed auto trans for 2015?