talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Default My turn - NCM Delivery. Very long.

Delivery.

My day finally came on October 24th. My Stingray was built on October 3rd and rolled off the line at 8:47am central time. I’ll be glad to provide any of the details of the actual delivery if anyone is interested but I’m betting that you have read and seen enough to make your own mind up about option R8C. For me, it was worth every single penny. If I bought another Corvette tomorrow, I’d do it all over again – and yes, I paid full price. The most amazing part was having my friends, family, co-workers watching me on the web cam and calling and texting and emailing me while my car was on the boulevard. A lot of folks were able to participate in my day as a result and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. To sum it up, What a total whirlwind. Delivery day at the National Corvette Museum was simply an unforgettable, amazing event. Getting to share and enjoy the experience with my NCM family, priceless. Thank you for being part of our life and my delivery. I also want to say thanks to Tim and Dave (forum members and friends) for stopping by and documenting my delivery with pictures. I was glad you were there and were able to share in my delivery day.

My unbiased view is that Lori and Shane are great to deal with on the information. On the scheduling side of things they will try to accommodate your needs and schedule as best they can. As the craziness of the launch starts to taper off a little and things begin to normalize, it will only get better. Please understand that they are working six days a week up to twelve hours per day. All of the delivery hosts are personal friends and I’d recommend any of them. The PDI on the car is as good as it gets. The tours of the plant and the NCM are a lot of fun and you can learn a lot about the car and the heritage of the Corvette. Both are worth taking the time if you can.

The buildup.

Fully aware of what this car was and was capable of I was ready to own one and had been for a very long time. However, I wasn’t one of the lucky ones that could place a deposit after the reveal. I needed to wait for pricing to be released. Once it was and I figured out that I actually could afford one, it was off to the races. As it was going to be a museum delivery, location of my dealer didn’t matter. I’ve heard lots of good things from customers all over the country about several of the forum dealers. In the running for me were Criswell Chevrolet (Mike Furman) and Kerbeck Chevrolet (Dave Salvatore). I’ve known these guys for years through the forum and watched them work and frankly, like what I see them do for their customers. I knew that they all had allocations so that wouldn’t be a concern. Mike Furman has been a forum friend and in the end, he got the nod for my business. I knew that my order came with some complications and when I talked with Mike about it, he was fine in taking on the challenge. Mike has an easy way about him. He is someone that is very easy to talk to (God knows he and I have spent hours on the phone over the years.) and he is someone that anyone should feel comfortable approaching. What you see is what you get with Mike. No drama, no surprises and honest answers.

The order and purchase process couldn’t have been any simpler really. Honestly, I’ll classify it as the easiest car purchase I’ve ever had. I exchanged a couple of emails and a couple of phone calls with Mike ahead of time. I knew exactly what I wanted and after a total of maybe 30 minutes, the order was placed and I had an order number. Once my number came up, Mike and the great folks at Criswell took care of everything. I financed through them and again, with one 20 minute phone call to go over the details, wrapped that up. They did everything they said they were going to do, when they said they would do it. They FedEx all the documents with a return envelope. I just needed to review and sign and send off my check. They even took care of my registration process and once the papers were returned, another envelope showed up with my temp tag, registration and they even alerted my insurance company. I had everything I needed well in advance of heading off to pick up my car. When my hard plates were complete, they were sent to my house (received them today). Having worked with Criswell Chevrolet and Mike Furman on this transaction, I couldn’t recommend anyone more highly. A very professional, well run organization.

Seeing my car on the boulevard was just an experience that I can’t even describe. This is something that I’ve wanted to do for 10 years.

The car.

I didn’t think it was going to be possible to find a car that I loved more than my 2005 Corvette but I have. I had several hours of seat time in C7’s prior to taking delivery of my very own. That time was always somewhat task focused and I later realized that I was missing out on the enjoyment of the drive. Being behind the wheel of my very own car opened up my senses. I won’t bore you with my going on and on about everything that I love about this car but the list is very long and very complete. My one gripe is that for the time being, iOS7 broke the iPod out feature of my phone with the MyLink system. My car is as perfect as it can be and I couldn’t be happier. The best way that I could think of to break this car in and get to know it’s idiosyncrasies was to take it on a very long road trip. After I took delivery, I drove around my favorite back roads and for a couple of days. I wanted to shake down the car and use the time to start the break in miles. By Friday evening I had accumulated about 260 miles on the clock. Early Saturday morning, Off I went. I started a road trip to Florida. Before I knew it, I had driven over 800 miles and 13 hours (with a couple of stops) and frankly, could have gone a couple hundred more miles. This car is comfortable, handles incredible and is just easy to drive.

I stand by everything I said about this car prior to the release. It is better than the magazines have even made it out to be. I can’t believe I own one. To date I have a little over 1,260 miles on the car and loving every minute of it.

A few photos:

My car is a Torch red, non-Z51 2LT with Adrenaline red interior and navigation radio.

For those of you that might be considering the GCA bra that is available, here is a photo of it installed on the car. The fit is very good and it did a great job of protecting my nose for the long ride down to Florida.

As a postscript, this car is not for the shy. I lost count on the highway of the number of cars pacing me, photographing me, videoing me, giving me thumbs up and waves. I had countless people complimenting the car and approaching me at rest stops to see the car and ask about the car. I emptied two McDonald's and one Burger King (employees and patrons) when I pulled in the parking lots for meals on the road. Trips to the gas station are filled with more of the same. So if you have one coming...get ready for it.

Enjoy,
Paul

Last edited by talon90; 10-30-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Let me be the first to say: Congrats on the car, and a great writeup, thanks.

With all you have done for Corvette and Corvette people, you deserve the best.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default My turn NCM Delivery

Paul: Great Writeup but I Expected that from you...Good luck and hope all is well...Harvey
Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

Your car looks awesome ...
Old 10-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Congrats on the car, and a great writeup, thanks.

Enjoy Paul
Old 10-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,074 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Congratulations, Paul!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Nice write-up. I've always wanted to do Museum Delivery, but the three Corvettes I've purchased have all been out of dealer inventory. I suspect that the next one I indulge in will be Museum Delivery, as I'm running out of opportunities to have that experience. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Mecholova
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great read. Beautiful car. Enjoy!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Congrats Paul. She's a beauty. Enjoyed your write-up. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Did you host your own R8C delivery?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Congrats on the car Paul!
S.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Let me be the first to say: Congrats on the car, and a great writeup, thanks.

Thank you Jim.

Originally Posted by HARVEY T.GLUCK
Paul: Great Writeup but I Expected that from you...Good luck and hope all is well...Harvey
Harvey Thank you my friend. All is well and Becky sends her love.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by CSEVEN
Your car looks awesome ...
Thank you! I'm very pleased with it.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by cor08vette
Enjoy Paul
Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Congratulations, Paul!
Thanks guys!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:18 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by acrace
Nice write-up. I've always wanted to do Museum Delivery, but the three Corvettes I've purchased have all been out of dealer inventory. I suspect that the next one I indulge in will be Museum Delivery, as I'm running out of opportunities to have that experience. Thanks for sharing.
Hope you do get to do it. It's a fun day.

Originally Posted by Mecholova
Great read. Beautiful car. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by Rich Mickol
Congrats Paul. She's a beauty. Enjoyed your write-up. Thanks.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Did you host your own R8C delivery?
Yes sir I did. DIY R8C, best day ever.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Mike Furman@Criswell
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 10,187 Likes on 1,603 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15
Default Mike Furman 301 212 4420 Criswell Chevrolet

Paul,
First and foremost Thank you for your business. You have the Stingray you have been hoping to get and nice weather for some spirited driving. I know you of all people will have "miles of smiles."

Mike Furman
301 212 4420 desk direct
Criswell Chevrolet
Gaithersburg, MD
(off Fridays and Sundays)

" I ship Nationwide!"

http://criswellcorvette.com/mike_furman.aspx

Last edited by Mike Furman@Criswell; 10-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Paul, as others have said that truly was a great writeup. Was that you honking as you went south on I75 ???

You picked a great color but you already know I'm partial to it as well .

This Saturday I'm doing a cruise to the NC mountains with the 'Vette club Classic Glass from Cobb county. Just bought new walky talky's and charging them now.

I know the feeling when on the road. It's kind of like "are my pants split or my zipper down?" feeling with all the gawking .

Mine actually came off the line on the 7th and I've had her three weeks today. Almost exactly the time difference I was hearing for museum delivery. I think ours were probably part of the same batch being the same color.

Quit reading this now and go driving

Get notified of new replies

To My turn - NCM Delivery. Very long.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,283 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting your C7 and thanks for the review. It's a beautiful car and hope you have many enjoyable miles with it.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Atticus Alan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,
I've followed your writing for a long time, and always appreciated your perspective and insights. I'm delighted to see photos of you with such a wonderful car. Congratulations!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow - great write up and beautiful machine! To a great person that I respect on this forum - very deserving.

Quick Reply: My turn - NCM Delivery. Very long.