Sponsored by:

Competition Seats or OE GT Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 PM
magredrod
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Competition Seats or OE GT Seats

Anyone have the Comp Seats in their daily driver that can provide any feedback? Am looking to order and have everything defined except the seats. I really like the look of the Comp seats but want to get some feedback if you have some.

Have a C5 & C6 and have sat in the OE GT seat,,,,,what a great improvement! Just want to make sure the Comp seat isn't too hard for a daily driver. Am 5'11 200 lbs.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with either of the options of C7 seats!

Rod
Old 12-06-2013, 06:07 PM
ronvenna
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered mine with competition seats. Was wondering the same thing are the usable as a daily driver?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:13 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. Was wondering the same thing.

All I've heard was that the competitions seats were a pain to get in and out of. Don't know if they're any lighter or more/less comfortable.

Would be interested to hear how the two compare.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:34 AM
magredrod
Pro

Originally Posted by AH1H
Ditto. Was wondering the same thing.

All I've heard was that the competitions seats were a pain to get in and out of. Don't know if they're any lighter or more/less comfortable.

Would be interested to hear how the two compare.

One more request for feedback on seats, thanks.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 AM
C7VY
Advanced

I will post when I pick mine up on the 12th and drive 1000 miles home from the Museum. :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Subscribing...
Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've not heard a GM person say the competition seats were made for touring, or anything other than competition usage. I think if you're interested in the seats, some of the comments may be on/within CF.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I have comp seats, nothing I can do about it now so if they suck for long distances oh well at least I'm not driving an Accord.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:08 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I have comp seats, nothing I can do about it now so if they suck for long distances oh well at least I'm not driving an Accord.

I'm sure they will be fine, and that's why I ordered them too. I think the only ones that will complain are the ones that complain that this sports car doesn't ride like a Cadillac.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:07 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by HalfMoon

I'm sure they will be fine, and that's why I ordered them too. I think the only ones that will complain are the ones that complain that this sports car doesn't ride like a Cadillac.
for sure.......Comp seats look great, support your body and will add value to resale. To me comp seats, Z51, NPP and mag ride were no brainers.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
for sure.......Comp seats look great, support your body and will add value to resale. To me comp seats, Z51, NPP and mag ride were no brainers.
Exactly my opinion as well.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I would replace the base seats with manual adjusting Recaro seats. Then the Recaro seats can be relatively simple or elaborate depending on model.

Throw all the seat motors in the lake

Last edited by B Stead; 12-07-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:20 AM
chris crash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B Stead
I would replace the base seats with manual adjusting Recaro seats. Then the Recaro seats can be relatively simple or elaborate depending on model.

Throw all the seat motors in the lake
I'm ordered in St Pete Fl. LT-1 Z51, comp seats, mag ride, exhaust, all for the best track day performance, period. Why people order Z51 with auto trans is very puzzling to me.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 PM
magredrod
Pro

Thanks for those that have responded with info!! Found a few C7s locally (all with stock GT seats) that I've sat in and really like over the C5 & C6 seats. Gonna remain in a holding pattern for some of the guys with the Comp seats to chime in with thoughts as a dd. The Comp looks have me hooked.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by magredrod
Thanks for those that have responded with info!! Found a few C7s locally (all with stock GT seats) that I've sat in and really like over the C5 & C6 seats. Gonna remain in a holding pattern for some of the guys with the Comp seats to chime in with thoughts as a dd. The Comp looks have me hooked.
just a side note......I had a C5 for 6 years (sold her in September, I loved that car but it was time to move on), I had really bad back problems, so bad that I went to a chiropractor (which ended up being useless and a waste of $800). Not until I sold my C5 did my back start getting better, it is of my opinion that it was the stock seats in that car that were the issue. It was only about the last year that it started getting really bad, I couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes in my office chair without having to get up, the pain was unbearable, but now all is fine, no issues whatsoever.

Just a little advice for those who may suffer from back problems that also spend a lot of time in their C5/6 factory seats.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM
andre060
Intermediate

I have been really curious to sit in the competition seats myself since the first cars arrived earlier this fall - finally my dealer in San Jose got a car in stock with the competition seats! They knew I wanted to sit in those seats and reached out to me right away. They had another C7 with the base seats and so I was able to sit in both back-to-back!

My impression is that both seats are VERY similar in shape, but the competition seats are simply much harder (have less spring). Just perfect IMO, and that's exactly what I want - I don't think having more spring to the seats make them more comfortable (in other words, competition seats are NOT less comfortable!). I will definitely order my car with the competition seats as they do a much better job communicating feedback from the road to the driver.

If you've never sat in the competition seats, and are wondering about fit, I would say if you fit in the base seats, you'll probably fit in the competition seats too. As I said, very similar shape, just harder.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The problem with the comp seats isn't that they are hard. A lot of times a hard seat is more comfortable for long duration drives. The big issue will be whether or not your upper body will fit between the seat bolsters as they stick out a few inches more than the GT seat bolsters do. More like a race seat does. That is what provides the lateral support that was missing in the C5 and C6. From the pictures it looks like the seat bottom is the same size and shape as the GT seat and all that is changed is the seat back.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Competition Seats or OE GT Seats

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM
spaceaholic
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by andre060
I have been really curious to sit in the competition seats myself since the first cars arrived earlier this fall - finally my dealer in San Jose got a car in stock with the competition seats! They knew I wanted to sit in those seats and reached out to me right away. They had another C7 with the base seats and so I was able to sit in both back-to-back!

My impression is that both seats are VERY similar in shape, but the competition seats are simply much harder (have less spring). Just perfect IMO, and that's exactly what I want - I don't think having more spring to the seats make them more comfortable (in other words, competition seats are NOT less comfortable!). I will definitely order my car with the competition seats as they do a much better job communicating feedback from the road to the driver.

If you've never sat in the competition seats, and are wondering about fit, I would say if you fit in the base seats, you'll probably fit in the competition seats too. As I said, very similar shape, just harder.
Can you divuge your weight/height/body type so we might baseline against our own?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:56 PM
andre060
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
the seat bolsters as they stick out a few inches more than the GT seat bolsters do.
I didn't notice the bolsters being dramatically more aggressive in the competition sport seats... The biggest difference I noticed was in the hardness of the seats, very similar in every other way. Not saying the bolsters are not bigger, but to me at least, didn't seem very different.

Andre

Last edited by andre060; 12-08-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM
andre060
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spaceaholic
Can you divuge your weight/height/body type so we might baseline against our own?
Sure - I'm 6'1, 176lbs, sit-at-a-computer-all-day build

Andre

Quick Reply: Competition Seats or OE GT Seats