Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local is a joke for a lot of guys now...better to go with the known names
Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Longbow
Instructor

Originally Posted by IAmCole
Nice looking car, but you have to do something about that awful looking orange flag on the wall in your garage. Here's something quite a bit better looking.
I think we all know what a real flag looks like at least ones that matter:

Old 10-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Im surprised the trade in offer was that high.....Gotta agree with some of the others....your car is going to appeal to only a small number of the buyers out there....

From a dealer's perspective, your mods have made the car much harder to sell...

Good luck selling it....If you can find someone with the same taste who can come up with the money....you're golden.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:30 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Longbow
I think we all know what a real flag looks like at least ones that matter:

oh crap... Living in NW Florida let me tell you... I see that dang flag 50 times a day. It's hard to believe the bandwagon can fit so many people.

Originally Posted by 455230
Im surprised the trade in offer was that high.....Gotta agree with some of the others....your car is going to appeal to only a small number of the buyers out there....

From a dealer's perspective, your mods have made the car much harder to sell...

Good luck selling it....If you can find someone with the same taste who can come up with the money....you're golden.
I understand that for sure... when I started with the mods I never expected I'd be selling/trading the car. but... then the C7 happened.
If I didn't have a boat I'd just trade my truck in... but, then what to do with the boat... I know... I know... sell the boat too.... then pay cash for the vette and then I could keep the Camaro.... good plan.... but..... hmmmm...
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Longbow
Instructor

Pensacola? I retired out of Rucker a couple years ago. However, graduated from Alabama over 20 years ago. Roll tide!

Obviously Pensacola....very nice down that way. I had the privilege of flying an Apache down for a static display for the Blue Angel show a while back. Great experience!

Last edited by Longbow; 10-29-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: read location
Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
In Toronto, about 6 mths ago, I guy put his truck ( I think a Silvorado) on craig list. Two guys came over and the 3 of them went for a test drive. They never came back. A few months later, they guy was found dead in a field and the truck missing. They did catch the guys a few months later. Wife was devastated and all over just a used truck.
But these sorts of stories have to be on the rare side, as the same thing can happen in any private party transaction; carry a pistol and meet in a public place if it makes you feel better.

Originally Posted by jr3
Dealers don't want mods... They want stock cars.

Heavy mods can also hurt your car when trading into a dealer because the car is altered to "your" likes, not the general publics (which the dealer sells to)... And some dealers even look at a heavy mod'd car as a damaged car if serious mods have been made.

The dealer does not want to get stuck with the trade in. They want to move it as soon as they can. All the mods in the world are worth $0 to some dealers... They know what they can buy the cars for at auction, and they probably don't want to put more than that in the car so they can dump it at auction if they cant retail it.
In some cases, that $1k custom exhaust can even de-value your car in a trade by that amount and more! Particularly with a Corvette, I'm not interested in a modified example unless I either like it or can readily easily and inexpensively return it to stock. For example, there is a large used Corvette dealer here in the DFW area that I regularly browse and I consistently see modified cars offered for less money than comparable ones with no mods. That $5-$7k that the original owner dumped into a late model Z06 on a cold air intake, headers, and cat-back exhaust and now the car is selling for a few grand less than a comparable stock one.

Me personally, I don't want a car that someone else hot-rodded, installed something and maybe didn't do it right, and most importantly, has a mod on it that I simply just do not concur with. That aftermarket cam and heads is great for a racing team on the track, but the last thing I'm looking for in used late model Corvette.

Think long and hard about mod'ing your late model anything, because not only are you unlikely to ever get what you put in it back out of it someday, you're likely devaluing your car. At that point, private party or auction is your best bet.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 169 Likes on 90 Posts

When I was shopping for my C7...I had my 5 month old 427 to trade due to medical reasons...none were interested in a conversation... Let alone a deal... Just getting a call back was a miracle... At the end of the day...all these so called "Covette guy " dealers turned out to be like any other cars sales men with the Montra "my car is worthless.....Their car was priceless " EXCEPT RICK HENDRICK IN DULITH GA"
I did the deal by phone and internet and it was great.. They did my trade site unseen and were amazing ... Forget what you heard and call Dan Hounser or Chris Lindamood ... They will get your deal done ...
P.S... Since my deal...they have taken in. 2 ZL1's on trade... So that tells me my deal was not an exception ... But the norm !

Last edited by 9157; 10-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
427bob
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
If you're dead set on a C7, then take your time and sell the Camaro to get the best price. Then go shopping for a C7. The C7's are selling for MSRP and below, and the prices will keep dropping as more of them are produced. Don't let lust control your pocketbook.
By the time you are ready to take the plunge, you should be able to find a nice selection of C7's in stock at more dealer's then today and be reasonably priced. Quality should also be getting better the longer you wait.
Excellent advice!
That dealer must have been frothing at the mouth to try and sell you a new car at or above MSRP and then slam you on your trade. Lottery day for the dealer!!! The dealers will take as much $$ out of your pocket as they possibly can. They call it the "car business"!!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:04 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,468 Likes on 790 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Was it Pete Moore? I tried to get a new C6 from those guys back in late 2005 and they acted like they couldn't be bothered. My local dealer had ran out of allocation so I went with Kerbeck and got an awesome deal. I bought my 2013 427 from Kerbeck as well. I would wager all of the forum dealers will treat you better.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

When the dealer said C7s are "selling for $10k over MSRP", a good response would have been, "NO they're not, it looks like you are ASKING $10k over MSRP. G'luck with that."
Old 10-29-2013, 06:27 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
Was it Pete Moore? I tried to get a new C6 from those guys back in late 2005 and they acted like they couldn't be bothered. My local dealer had ran out of allocation so I went with Kerbeck and got an awesome deal. I bought my 2013 427 from Kerbeck as well. I would wager all of the forum dealers will treat you better.

yep. They were the first I visited. They've got a 3LT z51 on the lot right now.... sticker is 68,000 (as well as the autotrader price) but when I asked about that...."autotrader defaults to MSRP... selling price 73,000."

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
When the dealer said C7s are "selling for $10k over MSRP", a good response would have been, "NO they're not, it looks like you are ASKING $10k over MSRP. G'luck with that."
ye.... you always think of better things to say once it's too late.... I think I should have said... "wow, what a coincidence... my car is going for $10K over blue book. Sounds like we'll be able to make a deal today."

Last edited by TX Navy Vet; 10-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I have to agree with Joe here. There are many dealers that are offering the C7 at sticker now and every once in awhile you see some deals taking place.

Your Camaro is very nice, indeed. I think you already know, however, that modified is just something dealers are not into when it comes to trade ins. While your car is very cool, it only sells to a very select buyer, and considering possible warranty concerns, dealers are not apt to offer a whole lot for it. They look at wholesale market prices for 2011 Camaro RS/SS and that's it, regardless of what you've put into the car. Best just taking your time to sell it to someone that appreciates what you've put into it, then take that cash to a not so greedy dealer for your Corvette.
Modifications scare away more buyers than they attract - I brokered 'vettes for several years, and modded cars would sit for months without activity. People who mod generally want to do it themselves.

It's also true that in some states, selling your car and then buying a new one will significantly affect the sales tax due on the new car when you go to register. In Kansas, as in California, I only pay tax on the difference between trade-in and selling price. So, looking at my current deal, I will probably be at about $20K between my current car and the new one. 8% on $20K, vs. 8% on 70K? Do the math.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
C7_Z51
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not part out your car? Dealer's dont pay for mods, so in there eyes they offer for a Camaro only, not a Camaro+mods.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:49 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
Modifications scare away more buyers than they attract - I brokered 'vettes for several years, and modded cars would sit for months without activity. People who mod generally want to do it themselves.

It's also true that in some states, selling your car and then buying a new one will significantly affect the sales tax due on the new car when you go to register. In Kansas, as in California, I only pay tax on the difference between trade-in and selling price. So, looking at my current deal, I will probably be at about $20K between my current car and the new one. 8% on $20K, vs. 8% on 70K? Do the math.
True, I live in Kansas too, well aware of the tax, and it does make a difference. Unless, he can sell his car for $10K over what the dealer offered, that would more than cover the sales tax wit hsome gas money left over.

In the past, I would've agreed that most people prefer to modify the cars themselves. However, with todays complex technology, often the person winds up going to a professional tuner. So, to find the model you want with mods, at least close to your desire already done correctly, is a bonus in today's market. It just takes a little more time, and dealing with some BS tire kickers, but it'll sell, maybe not at $45K but close enough. Of course, if it doesn't soon enough, he can go the trade route, and still save money on the tax, which would be the same as adding $3K =/- to the trade in offer.

Like the OP's car. If I were in the market for an RS/SS and intended a similar mod package. I could by the '11 for what, $25-30K? Then spend another $30K in mods for a total of $55-60K, or I could just buy his, turn key at $45K.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:06 PM
belmor
Safety Car

The only way to sell your car is privately, as someone with over 5 years of experience in the car business 3 of them at new car dealers if you spend 100k in mods it is worth the same, or in MOST cases less than what they would give for the same car bone stock. A lot of mods void factory warranty, or exempt the car from a certified pre-owned status which knocks out some warranty and financing options for the dealer to use to help sell the car. Your car is beautiful but what they would do with it is put it out front for a week, if no one comes in and buys it it would go to a wholesale auction and they would hope to get their money back. Without factoring in the mods the offer sounds fair for a 3 year old SS, there is a 5k mile showroom example on Manheim for 27k buy it now right now, I think they are pretty strong in the offer, not close to what you can get privately but for a trade-in, over MSRP for the C7 not so much.

Camaro or C7 either way you have an awesome ride.

~B~

Last edited by belmor; 10-29-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Originally Posted by C7_Z51
Why not part out your car? Dealer's dont pay for mods, so in there eyes they offer for a Camaro only, not a Camaro+mods.
I'll probably do a partial part out if I trade it in... there are plenty of small parts that I can sell on the Camaro forum. I did the math... it's about $3,000 worth of parts still in perfect condition so I assume I could get $1k pretty easy.

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
True, I live in Kansas too, well aware of the tax, and it does make a difference. Unless, he can sell his car for $10K over what the dealer offered, that would more than cover the sales tax wit hsome gas money left over.

Like the OP's car. If I were in the market for an RS/SS and intended a similar mod package. I could by the '11 for what, $25-30K? Then spend another $30K in mods for a total of $55-60K, or I could just buy his, turn key at $45K.
I've already considered the tax issue.... I'd need to sell for about 2,000 more if I sold privately vs. trade in.

Originally Posted by belmor
The only way to sell your car is privately, as someone with over 5 years of experience in the car business 3 of them at new car dealers if you spend 100k in mods it is worth the same, or in MOST cases less than what they would give for the same car bone stock. A lot of mods void factory warranty, or exempt the car from a certified pre-owned status which knocks out some warranty and financing options for the dealer to use to help sell the car. Your car is beautiful but what they would do with it is put it out front for a week, if no one comes in and buys it it would go to a wholesale auction and they would hope to get their money back. Without factoring in the mods the offer sounds fair for a 3 year old SS, there is a 5k mile showroom example on Manheim for 27k buy it now right now, I think they are pretty strong in the offer, not close to what you can get privately but for a trade-in, over MSRP for the C7 not so much.

Camaro or C7 either way you have an awesome ride.

~B~
Good info to know....

This is why I love the forums... a variety of opinions, most with solutions and ideas from folks much more knowledgeable than I.

I'm still undecided which way to go but I have a lot more valuable information to process now to help me decide!

My next step will be another trade in quote or 2... then while driving to Key West next week (NOT in the Camaro) we'll make some stops to see the different color C7s since I thought I had settled on black ext/ brownstone int until I saw the white ext/red int combo. I need to see brownstone in person.

Last edited by TX Navy Vet; 10-30-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

?? looked like good advice from C5 to me. I have seen a couple now 1K below list, sure they sell fast but it will happen slower and yes in time the price will fall below MSRP unless they stop production all together ( wow that would cause a price increase)
I would try to sell private and buy when I like the price also

Get notified of new replies

To Went c7 shopping today

Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Camaro traded in..... (got a little higher than last dealer)
ordered Stingray at MSRP.

2LT/Z51
White ext
Red int
Magnetic ride control
Performance exhaust
Navigation
Red calipers
CFM mirrors and spoiler
A6 (wife is designated driver sometimes so.... )
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
gofobroke
Instructor

There is no cure when the fever strikes.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
TX Navy Vet
Pro

Here are some pics I just found online of the exact exterior set up I ordered today:
White
Black Wheels
Red Calipers
CFM mirrors
CFM Spoiler
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Went c7 shopping today