Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:40 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey y'all,

I am so sorry that this happened! I am going to look at this, and see if this will continue or is a one time shot. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Kelly...I am hoping this was a one time deal. Could get quite annoying if it happens randomly.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:24 PM
NuckinFutz93
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought my wife a new sonic for a work car back in april. It happens in it every other month or so. If it was mine, either the OnStar BS or the car would be in the ditch. LOL
Old 10-27-2013, 05:36 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedrummer
So, I am riding in my two week old C7 listening to my iPod which abruptly stops. My first thought , "damn it the USB is acting up", but after a few seconds OnStar comes on to provide me with a commercial extolling their available services.
Same thing happened to me. Took delivery 2 1/2 weeks ago, then, while at a cruise in yesterday morning, demonstrating some of the electronics to some folks, the OnStar commercial comes on.

Man were they impressed.

Rat
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I haven't even activated my OnStar, and I got startled by the special announcement. Rude.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Hey y'all,

I am so sorry that this happened! I am going to look at this, and see if this will continue or is a one time shot. Thanks,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Kelly - I hope things have calmed down some since the craziness of last months with concerns about delays, deliveries, etc.

Question: What do we know so far about the infotainment issues. Mine is messing up as well. However, I can live with it for a while until we can confirm as real fix has been found. I remember in my 2004 Hummer, we had to go through 4 different navigation units before the last one eventually worked. I just don't want to have the dash taken apart every few months.

Thanks,
Anthony
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It happened to me in my new Tahoe.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 682 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Thanks Kelly...I am hoping this was a one time deal. Could get quite annoying if it happens randomly.
Hey Doc,

I agree with you! I will see what information I can find out and I will get back with y'all. Today is Sunday, so it is a bit slow around here. It is kind of nice!

Enjoy your Sunday evenings,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Hi Kelly - I hope things have calmed down some since the craziness of last months with concerns about delays, deliveries, etc.

Question: What do we know so far about the infotainment issues. Mine is messing up as well. However, I can live with it for a while until we can confirm as real fix has been found. I remember in my 2004 Hummer, we had to go through 4 different navigation units before the last one eventually worked. I just don't want to have the dash taken apart every few months.

Thanks,
Anthony
Hey Anthony,

I hope you are doing well! The waters have settled a bit, but are going to pick up with the convertibles. I am loving all of the excitement!

With the infotainment systems, I have read the concerns and have documented them. The correct departments have been made aware. I have witnessed and helped a few customers with dealer visits regarding the infotainment system. The dealerships have had success in repairing the concerns.

If you would like me to get a case set up for you or to call your dealership, please let me know. You know how to reach me.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-27-2013, 06:51 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin City
Can they listen in on you anytime? I always wondered about how much information Onstar collects on you.
With a warrant, yes, they can tap your in-car conversations. iirc, there was a case in San Diego a few years ago where recorded in-vehicle conversations were used in a conviction with FBI evidence.

But I do believe there has to be a warrant.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:51 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Hey Anthony,

I hope you are doing well! The waters have settled a bit, but are going to pick up with the convertibles. I am loving all of the excitement!

With the infotainment systems, I have read the concerns and have documented them. The correct departments have been made aware. I have witnessed and helped a few customers with dealer visits regarding the infotainment system. The dealerships have had success in repairing the concerns.

If you would like me to get a case set up for you or to call your dealership, please let me know. You know how to reach me.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Kelly, very much, for offering to assist. Things do happen and I am not losing sleep over it. Besides, my dealer is a good friend and I know he'll take care of this car. We actually were together, the General Manager, Service Manager, and I, at a social event yesterday and told them of the issue. The Service Manager is going to look into it on Monday, but I am not bringing the car in for service. My car is not a daily driver and is currently being used as a show car. We have big event coming up at Thanksgiving (Houston Autorama). I am going to wait unit after the show to let anyone attempt to take the dash apart.

Thanks again
Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Thanks Kelly, very much, for offering to assist. Things do happen and I am not losing sleep over it. Besides, my dealer is a good friend and I know he'll take care of this car. We actually were together, the General Manager, Service Manager, and I, at a social event yesterday and told them of the issue. The Service Manager is going to look into it on Monday, but I am not bringing the car in for service. My car is not a daily driver and is currently being used as a show car. We have big event coming up at Thanksgiving (Houston Autorama). I am going to wait unit after the show to let anyone attempt to take the dash apart.

Thanks again
You're very welcome!

Please keep me up to date on what the do to repair the infotainment system. I am sure they will take great care of you, friends always do in this situation.

Keep on showing her off, and I look forward to hearing great news.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm one person who absolutely detest OnStar and it's intrustion. From trying to change privacy policies and other first hand accounts of their "monitoring". As I sat on the museum floor taking delivery, the GM rep, who was not happy with me, we contacted OnStar and I forbid them to access my car or turn their system on. Can I validate they aren't still monitoring me... no, but my attorney assures me I have done what I need and if they contact me..... pow, I will serve them. I for one have survived 66 years without them and don't need them now.

off OnStar rant......

LOVE my new Stingray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
I'm one person who absolutely detest OnStar and it's intrustion. From trying to change privacy policies and other first hand accounts of their "monitoring". As I sat on the museum floor taking delivery, the GM rep, who was not happy with me, we contacted OnStar and I forbid them to access my car or turn their system on. Can I validate they aren't still monitoring me... no, but my attorney assures me I have done what I need and if they contact me..... pow, I will serve them. I for one have survived 66 years without them and don't need them now.

off OnStar rant......

LOVE my new Stingray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Totally about OnStar...it is BS that we are FORCED to have this system in every car we get from GM. The very idea that we pay for this (or any other) car and have to deal with this intrusion (which I doubt any of us really understand fully) is an insult to our privacy.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Totally about OnStar...it is BS that we are FORCED to have this system in every car we get from GM. The very idea that we pay for this (or any other) car and have to deal with this intrusion (which I doubt any of us really understand fully) is an insult to our privacy.
Just one of many nowadays. !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 13brv3a
So is there an easy way to disable onstar on the C7? The C6 has a fuse, but the downside is that you lose bluetooth. I read a post that said there wasn't an obvious fuse for onstar on the C7, but that doesn't mean there really isn't one. Some people removed the antenna instead, which kept the bluetooth working.

I pulled the fuse on my C6 after the first time they called me on my Sunday drive to try to get me to activate it, and buy some minutes for their phone. The only mod I plan to make to my C7 (whenever it arrives) is disabling onstar, and I resent being forced to pay for the hardware when I don't want it.

Cheers,
Rusty
On our 2009, pulling the Onstar fuse seemed to kill the microphone (Voice activated Nav changes and Bluetooth).

I put the fuse back in and removed the black OnStar antenna box from the windshield, which my wife hated anyway. Now, our Onstar still "works" but can't communicate (send or receive) with the Mothership, so it's effectively dead.

Might be able to do something similar on the C7...
Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to provide a little extra clarification. Upon activation you may receive a Welcome Call that goes over the basics of the service, and should only happen once. OnStar may also contact you in the future by this message system to provide any updates or reminders in regards to your account.

If any one has additional questions or concerns please send me a PM with your contact and account information. I can review the account and answer any specific questions regarding your account information.

I hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old 10-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 952 Likes on 499 Posts
Tech Contributor

I'm not part of the "black helicopter" crowd, and like having Onstar know where my car is. Like in a ditch late at night. I like the iphone app for locking my car, starting my car from afar and the diagnostic reports...

to each his own...

Get notified of new replies

To On star -- anyone else had this happen?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to provide a little extra clarification. Upon activation you may receive a Welcome Call that goes over the basics of the service, and should only happen once. OnStar may also contact you in the future by this message system to provide any updates or reminders in regards to your account.

If any one has additional questions or concerns please send me a PM with your contact and account information. I can review the account and answer any specific questions regarding your account information.

I hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Hey Jessica,

Thank you for clarifying the OnStar messages.

It is very nice to have OnStar on the forum as well when there are questions like this that I cannot answer. You're the best.

Enjoy the rest of your week,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 PM
jman1151
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you old goats have to hide??? OnStar is good
Old 10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
OnStar Advisor
Advanced

Hey Jessica,

Thank you for clarifying the OnStar messages.

It is very nice to have OnStar on the forum as well when there are questions like this that I cannot answer. You're the best.

Enjoy the rest of your week,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank YOU Kelly!

I'm always happy to help in any way I can. Don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything else.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Quick Reply: On star -- anyone else had this happen?