Sponsored by:

Dealer Bumps And Job

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 AM
nvmyvettes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Bumps And Job

I sold Corvettes at a Corvette Center. Saddly I had to quit two days ago.It was a tough decission. For the last few months Ive had customer after customer come in to order a new Vette. I had to tell them that if they wanted one here they would have to pay $10,000 over. I also let them know that some of the larger dealers were not charging over and where to go get them.(Your welcome Guys) And some of them did.Well we got three of them in. And even though not a single one was sold,they still insist on the $10,000 bump. After a week of playing with them in the show room, and customer after customer coming in and seeing the little sticker(Bump) beside the big one and shaking there head.I decided this wasnt right.Customers that have bought cars here for years and thats how they show thier appreciation. So I had a tough decission to make. I loved what I was doing but hated who I was doing it for. You see all carsalesman are not the same. Just like in any other business, you have genuine people that have good intentions and you have your Cons that dont care about anybody but them selfs.Simply put some are no more than thieves. They just do it with a pen.So watch you ****!!! Thats all Im saying about that.
Now Ive thought a lot about the C7 Vette and this is just my opinion. I remember the transission from the C3 to the C4.Then I think about all the problems the 84 had. I also think about both cars(82 and 84) sitting side by side today.In my opinion the 82 is a way better looking car and is worth quit a bit more. Not saying thats going to be the case with the C6 verses the 1st C7s. But they only made 2552 427 Verts ever!!! They only made 8??(dont know the exact figure) 427 aniversary Verts. Five years from now when C7s will be everywhere, there will still only be 2552 427s Convertibles.And even though the C7s are on the ground and are bad **** the 427s are still bad **** rides to!!! Where do think the best deal is? The C7 at $10,000 over sticker or the C6 427 at up to $17,000 off sticker. Something to think about!!! I know there are some people that are not going to agree. If I had the $$$ I would have both sitting in the garage, and a C5,C4,C3,C2,and C1 (I do have the 3 and a 4).But I would never pay $10,000 over for one. So if you have to have one of the 1st my advice is to shop around or wait if you have to. They're not going to quit making them,(a little slow maybe lol).And if you do take the bait at $10,000+ over dont complain if something goes wrong with your 1st edition or if you have to trade it in down the road and take a beating. And you will eventually.This is just my opinion and not ment to make anybody mad. I love all Vettes!!!

Last edited by nvmyvettes; 10-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

OP, sorry to here about your problem. You are right to take your leave, if you feel that the way to treat costumers is with respect and honesty, rather than offer the latest and greatest up on a plate and then tell them that it is 10,000 more than the suggested price. I have bought many Corvettes, and lots of other cars and have never paid sticker, let alone "market adjusted price" and it really irks me to see that. I know that leaving something that you enjoy is painful and I hope that you find peace and another job that you love. Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Since most car salesman work on a commission basis, could that also have had some affect on your decision to quit. You can't make a commission on cars sitting on the showroom floor, that you can't sell.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 PM
nvmyvettes
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

ThanKs Cooper. Ive already found another job.I interviewed at 6 and all 6 was willing to hire me. So I picked the one I thought had the best morals. Its a large dealership with several makes. But they dont have Chevy. The do have Cadillac, GMC, and Buick and about 5 other dealerships. I think I will do well there.
Joe I failed to mention I did very well with Vettes. And I had a nice inventory of other Vettes besides the C7.I'll be the 1st to admit though, I could of made more money working in the other dealerships in that group(Chevy, Lexus,Toyota,Nissan, Scion, and the 6th largest used car department in the US. So if money was the issue I would have sold in one of those places instead of Vettes. I have owned well over 30 Corvettes. Probably closer to 40. Im 53 years old and have owned a Vette since I was 21. Its my escape. So when I had the oportunity to sell them,I jumped on it.But it doesnt matter how much I loved it or how much money is involved, if you dont have piece of mind, you aint got sh**.If I dont believe in something, I cant look people in the eye and lie. I saw an article somewhere that stated dealer bumps wasnt price gouging. I strongly disagree. Not only do I disagree, I think it should be illegal. Thats why I refferred my customers to Coughlins, McMulkin, and Kerbecks.They,re all doing the right thing. Sticker!!! If Chevrolet wanted you to charge more, they wouldnt have a MSRP Sticker. I hope that answers your question.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

You did the right thing in my book. I wouldn't pay a $1 over MSRP. LIke you said, there are dealers that sell at MSRP, and I would get one from them, even if it mean't having to be patient and wait awhile. After all, its only a car. Folks that pay substantially over MSRP are just playing into the dealers greedy game. Walk away!
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

years ago when they came out with that yellow. Some dealers were putting 5K
markups on them. Why ??? you could order right than. Comments-- well its here
right now whoo hoo. I told the sales person did not want yellow, wanted white
with red. LOL Well that 5k markup disappeared, but said I still wanted to order
a white with red. Guess can't blame for giving it a shot. Someone might just pay

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Bumps And Job

Quick Reply: Dealer Bumps And Job