C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of New Model Features (some may surprise you!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Default List of New Model Features (some may surprise you!)

- The only carry over parts from the C6 are the cabin air filter and rear roof latch.

- The C7 incorporates technologies and aerodynamics from the track and the Corvette C6.R racing program.

- 5w-30 dexos1 oil is the factory fill.

- For competitive driving, Mobil 1 15w-50 MUST be used.

- The 2014 Stingray uses a new recommended engine coolant and water mixture of 40% Dex-Cool and 60% clean, drinkable water.

- Vehicles with the 7 speed Tremec manual transmission have Hill Start Assist.

- All Corvette Stingrays are shipped with a transportation cover. Once the cover is removed it should be provided to the customer if they want the cover. The cover can be washed and reused if the customer so desires.

- Stingrays have a Transport Mode for shipping. Turn on the four way flashers and place the driver's foot on the brake and the clutch (if equipped). Press and hold the Start button for approx. 15 secs. At this point the engine will start, but continue to hold the start button for approx. 15 secs. The cluster will display when transport mode has been turned on/off.

- Z51 Stingrays use a special high performance oil filter, use of any other filter may lead to severe engine damage. Use oil filter PF64 or equivalent.

- The new aluminum frame structure is 57 percent stiffer and 99 pounds lighter than the steel frame used on the previous generation.

- The new frame features main rails composed of five customized aluminum segments. Each segment is tuned- varying in thickness from 2mm to 11mm- tailoring the gauge, shape, and strength properties to optimize the requirements for each frame section with minimal weight.

- The frame is assembled at an all-new welding shop at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant using a unique laser welding process which joins the components with exceptional precision and tolerances of about 0.001-inch.

- Supporting the frame's greater strength and lower weight are the complementing chassis elements, including hollow-cast aluminum front and rear cradles that are approximately 25 percent lighter and 20 percent stiffer than the solid cradles used on the previous generation.

- The battery is located in the rear compartment. To access the battery the carpet must first be untucked from the rear and right side trim panels and then lifted. If just the right rear corner is lifted it will tear the carpet backing and the carpet will not lay flat.

- Standard Brembo brakes, with four-piston fixed calipers derived from racing, deliver exceptional stopping power on the street or track. System highlights include:
12.6in front rotors and 13.3in rear rotors are standard and have 35% more swept area then previous generation brakes. This feature improves stopping distance by 9%.
Dual-cast, slotted 13.6in front rotors and 13.3in slotted rear rotors are included with the Z51 Performance Package. They have 6% more swept area than the previous generation Grand Sport and are cooled front and rear for improved track capability. This feature improves stopping distance by 5%.

- the front rotor on the Z51 Performance Package uses a two piece cast rotor. By design there is some slight clicking or slight rattle noise that may be heard when the brakes are applied.

- The Stingray is equipped with an Electric Parking Brake. This feature can be applied even when the car is off. Avoid repeated cycles of the EPB to prevent draining the battery.

- Cars equipped with the base suspension- RPO FE1, will not be equipped with a sway bar.

- The Electronic Power Steering system privides the best steering feel for all driving situations. It incorporates smooth road shake prevention that senses when the drive is experiencing excitation and prevents that force from transmitting back through the steering wheel, eliminating wheel shake.

- The Electronic Limited Slip Differential is included with the Z51 Performance Package and helps optimize the torque split between the wheels in all situations. It improves vehicle stability during spirited driving and evasive maneuvers.

- It is possible to personalize the exhaust sound, when equpped with RPO NPP. When the engine sound management is turned off the exhaust tailpipe valves will be put in track mode no matter which vehicle mode is displayed on the drivers IP.

- The door glass is designed to be slightly higher, approx. 1-2mm than the window sill. This helps to hold and support the glass in place when the door is closed with the window down.

- The front top of the rocker molding is designed to be outboard of the bottom of the front lower door by approx. 13mm.

- There is a sensor under the carpet on the panel behind the seats used to detect when the seat is being moved back too far.

- The MICRO3 Fuse is the new standard for vehicle circuit protection.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WHOA! what great info - thanks so much
Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Br0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sway bar AT ALL on the standard suspension!? ...Wow... Weaksauce

Even more reason the Z51 is a no brainer.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

The battery is in the rear even on non Zs?

Brembos are only Zs, right?

No sway bar at all? Able to be added aftermarket?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse

Brembos and battery in rear on all models.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Br0
Instructor

I would be totally shocked if the bolt holes were not there on the standard suspension arms and the frame on the base.

I would bet good money on base cars being able to easily add A/M swaybars.

But the fact remains...NO sway bar AT ALL on a 52k base sports car!? Common man that is weak.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:48 AM
TachItUp
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Br0
I would be totally shocked if the bolt holes were not there on the standard suspension arms and the frame on the base.

But the fact remains...NO sway bar AT ALL on a 52k base sports car!? Common man that is weak.
I think the non Z51s just come with with a front sway bar. The leaf spring design actually acts somewhat like a sway bar in the rear, just not a very 'big' one.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

What about Non Z51's

Do they have an Open Diff or - Is it just a normal, non electronic LSD?

Originally Posted by Br0

We live in the same place, are the same age and come from the same cars - I feel you 154% lol but, I knew from the jump that Z51 was going to be a requirement on these things. (non Z51 is still a ****in' awesome car...just more DIY with goodies)

In my mind when it comes time to buy, There is no such thing as "Non Z51"

Last edited by Houston Z33; 10-24-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
- The door glass is designed to be slightly higher, approx. 1-2mm than the window sill. This helps to hold and support the glass in place when the door is closed with the window down.
This is interesting. What's weird is that I have always done this for years--lowered my window ONLY to a point just above the weather strip--on all my e-window vehicles. Never had a problem with loose window tracks or motor limit switch. Does this mean I'm almost as smart as a GM engineer...???
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Stingrays have a Transport Mode for shipping. Turn on the four way flashers and place the driver's foot on the brake and the clutch (if equipped). Press and hold the Start button for approx. 15 secs. At this point the engine will start, but continue to hold the start button for approx. 15 secs. The cluster will display when transport mode has been turned on/off.
Ok, dumb question - what does "transport mode" do?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

2 other cars that don't have sway bars

Old 10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
No sway bar AT ALL on the standard suspension!? ...Wow... Weaksauce

Even more reason the Z51 is a no brainer.
I believe there is a front sway bar, but no rear on a non-Z51 car.

No rear sway bar, holes are there if one would like to add it later on.
Battery is in the back and brembo brakes on all Stingrays.

Originally Posted by Br0

You can add the sway bar later on, holes and threads are there.

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
What about Non Z51's

We live in the same place, are the same age and come from the same cars - I feel you 154% lol but, I knew from the jump that Z51 was going to be a requirement on these things. (non Z51 is still a ****in' awesome car...just more DIY with goodies)

Still a LSD, just not electric.

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga
Ok, dumb question - what does "transport mode" do?
Directly from Service Information:
"For the 2014 model year, some products will be shipped from the assembly plant with the Transportation Mode On. The feature reduces the electrical load on the battery when the vehicle is parked, which extends the battery stand time.

To alert the operator that the mode is on, the red battery telltale will be flashing and if equipped with a DIC, it will display a Transport Mode On message. When the Transport mode is on, the Remote Keyless Entry (key fobs) is disabled, as well content theft deterrent and exit lighting timers are reduced.

When the vehicle is running, the only difference in operation will be the DIC Message and Battery Telltale on. The Remote Keyless Entry function is restored with the ignition in run.

The intent of the feature is to prolong battery stand time. The mode may be left on while the vehicle is in dealer inventory. Also a customer may want to use the mode if the vehicle is going to be stored. The method to turn the mode off is the same to turn the mode on. Refer to the section below for the method to turn the mode off and on."
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
What about Non Z51's

Agree, and when I saw the low low price of only 2800 bones for all you get on the Z51 package, I never looked back.

The non-Z51 vettes get a standard mechanical LSD, and Z51 cars get the eLSD

Last edited by Br0; 10-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear bar sin't needed on the base suspension; it saves weight. The transverse spring provides all the lateral roll control required.

The standard diff is not an "open diff" it's the same type of LSD offered in C5/C6 etc. The new eLSD is an active differential with a much greater range of control than a standard LSD. Kind of like variable cam timing vs. having to pick a single profile.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Thanks, N8! I'm sure that "transport mode" will trip up a few owners, just like some people got themselves locked inside C6's...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Elleby13
Racer

great info thanks for posting!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lancer033
2 other cars that don't have sway bars

LOL ya................the new Mclaren car (including the MP4 in first pic, not sure what second is)

The MP4 has a totally new suspension setup that uses a hydraulic system to control the pitch/roll of the car. It is one of the first of its kind, and def one of the first street sports cars to utilize a suspension containing no sway bars (front or rear) or trans leaf. This system acts like a sway bar, but more responsive/reactive.

So essentially, it has an anti-sway system in place...

Last edited by Br0; 10-24-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To List of New Model Features (some may surprise you!)

Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's allot of stuff but most buyer could care less. It starts. runs up and down the
street, out to the club, all that matters. Many of the tech items will become
more of a nuisance for many, rather not fiddle with all the stuff for a short hop.
Ok finally got in one, as far as feel it could have been a C5, C6, no big deal.
Same stuff as my past corvettes just a different dash and seat pattern whoo hoo.
Driving 30 40 mph down the street felt like a vette, oh wow. Guess ones that
track the car may get into it more. Overall just a look thing, yeah very different
style. IF IF IF IF do rid of the C6 for one, it will be just for look, features no
big deal. It would be a base 3lt vert if did, that 51 thing no interest.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Br0
Instructor

Originally Posted by travisnd
The rear bar sin't needed on the base suspension; it saves weight. The transverse spring provides all the lateral roll control required.
I had no idea that the vette used a tranverse leaf until you said that, it must be one of the only if not only sports cars to use this setup, yes?

Is this new to this gen or have past vette's used this setup?

Lastly, does this mean the Z51 uses a standard coil-over front/rear setup (or spring bucket/shock rear) with F/R swaybars versus non-Z51 with coilover fronts and transverse rear setup?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Br0
I had no idea that the vette used a tranverse leaf until you said that, it must be one of the only if not only sports cars to use this setup, yes?

Is this new to this gen or have past vette's used this setup?

Lastly, does this mean the Z51 uses a standard coil-over front/rear setup (or spring bucket/shock rear) with F/R swaybars versus non-Z51 with coilover fronts and transverse rear setup?
Corvettes have had transverse leafs since 1984. Front and rear. Low weight and space saving as well as roll bar eliminating to some degree. No coil over springs since 1982. Many people attempt to make jokes about leaf springs but the proof is in the pudding. The car has been competitive for 30 years and is arguably the best handling car in the class.

Quick Reply: List of New Model Features (some may surprise you!)