Sponsored by:

Headlights jitters/tremors....driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I thought it was normal since the ride is a little rough. But mine do jiggle a little.
Love it when her headlights jiggle!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:43 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've determined mine do not jiggle anymore than the front of the car bumps. Meaning, the lights direction is on par with the car's nose. Going over the 405 bumps tonight made me see that there was no extra "jiggle". Just a crappy freeway making my car do not-so-fun things.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I've determined mine do not jiggle anymore than the front of the car bumps. Meaning, the lights direction is on par with the car's nose. Going over the 405 bumps tonight made me see that there was no extra "jiggle". Just a crappy freeway making my car do not-so-fun things.
Ahhhhhh, contemporaneous
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 PM
marktigerz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I finally took the car in to my dealer who has been excellent so far. They kept the car for a couple of days and gave me a loaner. They had to open the wheel wells or something to get to the light assembly.

Anyway, they found nothing that would cause the lights to wiggle, jiggle, dance or whatever.

I still notice the problem when I go over bumps. the light beam at a distance seems steady and does not bounce but there is some slight jiggle immediately in front of the car nose that happens for a split second after a bump! Should I just learn to live with it?
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by marktigerz
So I finally took the car in to my dealer who has been excellent so far. They kept the car for a couple of days and gave me a loaner. They had to open the wheel wells or something to get to the light assembly.

Anyway, they found nothing that would cause the lights to wiggle, jiggle, dance or whatever.

I still notice the problem when I go over bumps. the light beam at a distance seems steady and does not bounce but there is some slight jiggle immediately in front of the car nose that happens for a split second after a bump! Should I just learn to live with it?
I am sure there will be more people that will have the same happening with their C7 headlights bouncing. It is due to the lamp mounts. Google it....BMW, Honda, Audi, Mazda, same deal. After a while you just get used to it. At first is was annoying in our Mazda, but after a couple of weeks, you get used to it.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:54 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Michael A
I've driven a lot of cars, including a few GM cars, with Xenon headlamps, and they did not bounce. This may be normal for Mazda, but not for the rest of the industry.

Michael
Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM
marktigerz
Advanced

Yes, they still happen and still drive me crazy

So with many more C7's sold since the last post, anyone else noticing this or is it still just me?

My headlights seem to jiggle or bounce when going over a bumpy road. I notice it mostly close to the front end of the car. It does not seem to affect the light beam distally.

It is of course worse when in sports mode or track mode but still happen in touring mode

Very annoying!
Old 05-24-2014, 01:18 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I only have noticed the headlights jiggle when I hit a bump due to the stiff suspension. Does yours continue to jiggle after a bump?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have only driven mine once at night so far. Didn't notice anything abnormal, the lighting is super bright.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 PM
marktigerz
Advanced

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I only have noticed the headlights jiggle when I hit a bump due to the stiff suspension. Does yours continue to jiggle after a bump?
No, it is exactly that, only during bumps not after. Is that normal though?
Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 PM
marktigerz
Advanced

I found this interesting explanation on a mustang forum where somone posted a reply to a similar complaint:

"You first need to understand how the HID headlamps work. There is only one HID bulb per side and is the only light source for low and high beam function, these HID bulbs are fixed in the housing and do not move. When the high beams are activated, an electronic shutter is moved inside the headlamp which directs the light differently through the projector lens, basically changes the focal point and thus projects the light from the HID bulb further down the road.

Now you may know where this is going. Sometimes the shutter comes loose and moves around when the car hits bumps and changes the focal point of the HID and thus "bounces" the light around in front of the car. I have read maybe two posts where this has happened to people and the only fix is complete headlamp replacement.

Those dealer mechanics can look at and tighten fasteners outside the headlamp all day long and that will not solve the problem. The problem is inside the headlamp."

Last edited by marktigerz; 05-24-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:10 PM
s_c5519
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine jiggle quite a bit too, but only on one particular road home that is pretty bumpy. I always think there is something loose, but they do go back to normal again after...
Old 05-25-2014, 01:44 AM
level6
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this interesting explanation on a mustang forum where somone posted a reply to a similar complaint:
I think this explanation is on to something. I drive my Stingray daily at night (that sounds odd ). My lights are solid with zero jitter. Demand a jitter free life.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

No, it is exactly that, only during bumps not after. Is that normal though?
I would say that the stiff suspension over a bump would cause what looks like a jitter. Mine seems to be just due to the bump. I would call mine normal.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:02 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

My stiff suspension C6 Z06 with wide, stiff 275 front tires has zero HID low beam headlight jiggle.

I don't see how the C7 should have the headlight jiggle being considered as a normal condition, if the C6 Z06 doesn't. Both had to be designed for the same application, under the same driving conditions and meeting the same federal laws.

Quick Reply: Headlights jitters/tremors....driving me crazy