Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire skipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM
bapd77
Safety Car

Received 418 Likes on 194 Posts

My C6 did it, my Camaro 1LE does it and my C7 does it. As stated previously.....Its totally normal.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:54 PM
JohnC7
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I get very similar hopping from the outside front tire at the track. It feels as if with the road alignment the front tires are not optimally aligned for cornering even on much higher speed corners with little lock (75 mph+) and the outer one is turned in too much relative to the inner, and bangs along due to the understeer. Or that LSD is pushing the car. I was going to go with the factory recommended track alignment of almost zero toe (and some negative camber) and see what happens. The only point here is that it will be interesting to see if this also reduces low speed chatter?

Last edited by JohnC7; 02-10-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:25 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnC7
I get very similar hopping from the outside front tire at the track. It feels as if with the road alignment the front tires are not optimally aligned for cornering even on much higher speed corners with little lock (75 mph+) and the outer one is turned in too much relative to the inner, and bangs along due to the understeer. I was going to go with the factory recommended track alignment of almost zero toe (and some negative camber) and see what happens. The only point here is that it will be interesting to see if this also reduces low speed chatter?
Would be interesting. What Ackerman geometry there is should be turning the inside tire in a tighter radius in steep turns. Probably not much with modest steering wheel angle. In a high speed turn the inside tire is not loaded very heavy so is not contributing as much inward force as the outer. Can't change the Ackerman geometry but if there was excess toe-in guess that might fit what you describe.

As you say, will be interesting to hear about your result.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-10-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I know this is an old thread, but I just got a C7 and it freaked me out when this happened.

Now that i know it is normal, can someone please explain to me why it happens if the front wheels are not powered? My thoughts are if they are free spinning (no power) then they are free to spin at their own speed, as needed. Unless the picture above is true for corvettes and the wheels are parallel, but i didn't think they were.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I know this is an old thread, but I just got a C7 and it freaked me out when this happened.

Now that i know it is normal, can someone please explain to me why it happens if the front wheels are not powered? My thoughts are if they are free spinning (no power) then they are free to spin at their own speed, as needed. Unless the picture above is true for corvettes and the wheels are parallel, but i didn't think they were.
The short answer is the inside tire cannot turn sharp enough, in spite of the fact that it appears to be turning at a sharper angle than the outside tire.
I handle this by not turning the wheel all the way to the lock, or almost all the way to the lock. I think that's what most people do.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-26-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Preferred
This will be the first high proformance vehicle I have owned so I am not sure if this is a common problem with a vehicle with wide tires.
When taking sharp turns at low speed the tires seem to skip like in my F250 in 4 wheel drive. Is this normal?
Read your owners manual or do a search here and you'll find more information than you want about this. Yes, it is normal..
Old 11-26-2018, 02:58 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The short answer is the inside tire cannot turn sharp enough, in spite of the fact that it appears to be turning at a sharper angle than the outside tire.
I handle this by not turning the wheel all the way to the lock, or almost all the way to the lock. I think that's what most people do.
And this isn't a bad thing for racing? I can't imagine this is safe at any higher speed.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:17 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

And this isn't a bad thing for racing? I can't imagine this is safe at any higher speed.
No its perfect.
The fact its at least partially a track car is why it happens.
GM engineers could eliminate this problem, but it would take steering geometry that would diminish the handling capability.
You will get used to it in a week.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:20 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

The inside tire needs to turn at a sharper angle (with less rotations) when taking a turn - so Ackerman is actually better for high speed cornering. It actually reduces tire slip which means grip is increased and thus you can go faster around the corner.

Last edited by JMII; 11-26-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:23 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Can't think of a situation (at speed) where you'd ever 'hard over' the steering, can you?
Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

It's strictly a low speed--as in parking lot or driveway--effect. I never notice on the street, much less at high speeds.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmm, if my above posts did not give you the answer here is another pic from my PDF: http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

It’s the race car type tire construction of the OEM Michelin’s. Particularly the low slip angles. Note rubber tired cars don’t get “full Ackerman” front tire turning radius compensation because the tire surface flexes providing some of it. Proof, it goes away with winter and most all-season tires that have more normal slip angles with the same Ackerman steering geometry.

My solution has been for 5 years, when below ~50F turn the wheel less when backing down my driveway in the morning and make a “K” turn. While taking the extra time I think about the smile those tires put on my face when I hit ~1.2 “g” acceleration around the fountain at the end of my street!

Full Ackerman steering compensation could be built in BUT that would reduce the max attainable “g” force in high speed turns. The PDF discusses why.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2018 at 03:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
~Stingray (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:45 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Even my AWD Dodge Charger daily driver does this on certain surfaces. File under Not to Worry.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:08 PM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

normal
Old 11-26-2018, 05:16 PM
Tony1leo
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the new Michelin All Season tires and they have not skipped one time compared to the same turn situation in the Michelin Pilots where they always skip consistently. So, I'm guessing rubber type matters a lot too.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Read your owners manual or do a search here and you'll find more information than you want about this. Yes, it is normal..
He posted his question over 5 years ago. I suspect he has the answer by now.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 666 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Even my AWD Dodge Charger daily driver does this on certain surfaces. File under Not to Worry.
Same for me except my Charger is not AWD. Typically in my Charger it only happens in cold/wet weather. Usually when reversing into or pulling out of my driveway.

Happens a LOT more in the Z06 but again only in low speed sharp turning situations like parking and un-parking (that's not a word, I know).

Get notified of new replies

To Tire skipping

Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tony1leo
I have the new Michelin All Season tires and they have not skipped one time compared to the same turn situation in the Michelin Pilots where they always skip consistently. So, I'm guessing rubber type matters a lot too.
It’s a factor since as shown in right pic in post 72, the tire tread moving relative to the tire body (called slip angle) is mostly controlled by the belt and side wall belt construction. Rubber compound also is a factor as the OEM tires get very stiff when cold so the tread moves little.

As noted in post #72 car companies rely on slip angle to provide some of the needed Ackerman steering geometry that compensates for the different turning radius of the inside and outside tires in a light turn. Softer rubber that does not get as hard when cold certainly helps the all-season tires have less or no chatter.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:42 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Are the wheels on a corvette set parallel or just less angled than "normal" cars?

Great article above. I must have missed the link to it above somewhere.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 11-27-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:01 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Are the wheels on a corvette set parallel or just less angled than "normal" cars?

Great article above. I must have missed the link to it above somewhere.
The C7 is like most other cars, the base front wheels have about -0.5 degrees negative camber (top of wheel tilted in) but not noticeable by eye. Toe is about 0. That is similar to many cars. The chatter issue is the tire construction; as mentioned folks who put on all-season tires with more normal construction and slip angles have no chatter.

I have no chatter when it’s warm and make a full lock turn when I back out of the garage to do down the driveway. When less than 50F I turn the wheel less and make a ‘K’ turn. When 35F I turn even less and make two!

It does no harm but I don’t like the feeling. Been doing this for ~5 years.

Fortunatly seldom have to make two ‘K’ turns when I need to drive in Eastern SC!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire skipping