Sponsored by:

1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM
C7BLACK
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil changes etc

Has anyone had any issues with service, a lot of people had to travel great distances to find the best deal on their 2014 Corvette.

Now when faced with a service issue or just maintenance issue, they are going to go to the closest Chevy dealer just down the street.

Any one experienced any problems since they did not buy there?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 501 Posts
Tech Contributor

before I bought my vette 1200 miles away I went and visited my local dealer and asked point blank if they had a problem servicing my vette - they said absolutely not.

Dealers are (mostly) diff these days, as they are owned by corporations and each dept reports to it's own vice pres and could give a damn where you bought it, service money is service money...the problem is almost non existent these days.

The only problem that sometimes comes in, is when the amount of service loaners is finite - they do go to the selling dealer's customers first in many cases...
Old 12-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 836 Likes on 372 Posts

I would definitely use Mobil 1 on the knee, it's better for the joints.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:03 PM
C7BLACK
Intermediate

Default 1st oil change etc service issues

I guess I will find out.

Many years ago I had to take a vehicle in to the closest dealer when I had bought miles away.

when it came to the loaner, they said that since I did not buy there there would be no loaner or other buyer priviledges entended to me whatsoever. But I could rent a car if I wanted to. One of the reasons I did not buy there in the first place was that they always had an attitude about things.

He could of said " well, we wish you had bought here, but we are going to try our best to get your next purchase.

But instead, any time I needed service, they seemed to find some way to cop an attitude and needless to say, over the years on regular transportation purchases, I would not buy from them.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:10 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Litumup411

I grabbed my 9/16 and 5/8 wrenches, but it turns out that the 15 mm wrench is the right size...metric go figure.

Welcome to the rest of the world. USA and some bananna republic are the last holdouts.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:39 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
Welcome to the rest of the world. USA and some bananna republic are the last holdouts.
It is 15mm on my 2004 Z06, so that is nothing new.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 PM
bigdaddyj25
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a question for you guys. I've always been a big fan of royal purple and k&n filters, and I see most of you are going with mobile 1. This will be my first vette (still waiting) but because I don't know is there anything that makes mobile 1 products a better choice? Just asking. I would think they were close but just want to have a plan when I do get her.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Xfactors
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7BLACK
Has anyone had any issues with service, a lot of people had to travel great distances to find the best deal on their 2014 Corvette.

Now when faced with a service issue or just maintenance issue, they are going to go to the closest Chevy dealer just down the street.

Any one experienced any problems since they did not buy there?
Yes, I've experienced problems, since I did not buy there, and I'll leave it at that.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 AM
AH1H
Intermediate

Mobil 1 is garbage. I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic + Bosch Distance Plus Oil Filter. It gets WAY better reviews. They both do over Mobil 1. The only thing the Mobil 1 filter has over Bosch Distance Plus is the fact that it can withstand the most pressure. But not by a huge margin. Distance Plus holds the most contaminants by a good amount and comes in second in terms of pressure. That's why I like it.

Not to mention, it has the potential to go 15k between oil changes.

Last edited by AH1H; 12-08-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:24 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by FEAR
you can change it anytime, but i would change it as soon a it was coming out of storage, you could argue the additives for break in are good for the down time
Fear, are you suggesting that he change his oil before storage and right after too? That seems excessive.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Good luck with your knee replacement! I was only out of the drivers seat for 3 weeks (total left knee replacment). Do all your assigned exercises and physical therapy. I was back on a salmon ski at 57 days post surgery!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM
luvlake
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, having it done, dec. 16th.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by AH1H
Mobil 1 is garbage. I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic + Bosch Distance Plus Oil Filter. It gets WAY better reviews. They both do over Mobil 1.
Reviews by people on the internet? Don't believe everything you read. I have run both oils in a few different cars, and have done oil analysis results on them, and I can say without a doubt that you have no idea what you are talking about. M1 is not garbage.

It really bothers me when someone says an oil is garbage without any technical proof whatsoever. I've got the technical proof that disputes your theory....

Quick Reply: 1st oil change