Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C7 Stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:05 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All falls under the heading of "Rush To Market". Not just the early releases..... all units no doubt. You know.... time is money..... what do these people want for a lousy 70K? Next they'll want all organic materials used in production. All kidding aside, no respect for the consumer. Build it. They'll buy it. Shut up.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:07 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My C7 smells like new car. When I roll down the window, cars next to me can smell it!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:01 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm an RC modeler (too many hobbies), and I work a lot with epoxies and other adhesives that use chemical curing. As Adamsocb indicates earlier, you are getting the car days after assembly. The strongest epoxies and resins take the longest to cure, and some may not be fully cured for several weeks - that is definitely the case with any fiberglas polyurethane resins as used in the Corvette's SMC panels. There is also the possibility that some of the batches were not properly mixed, in which case the glue never fully cures. Uncured resin continues to out-gas for a long time, which would be the case for the Lotus problem cited above.

And no, you are not crazy if you feel the smells are making you sick. Epoxy and resin is a serious irritant to the skin and breathing passages.

Finally, many of the high-touch, flexible plastic "skin" materials used today in cars have a high content of petrochemical "aromatics" which is what keeps them flexible and resistant to sun for years. Those also smell strong. You will even notice a film on the windshield - that is out-gassing deposit from those aromatics.

Corvettes, because they are largely constructed of plastics, will have a lot more of this going on.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

If you want you car to smell like wood and leather get one of these!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Periokid
First off, I LOVE my new C7.

I have a 3LT interior and the smell is very strong.

I have been leaving the car open in an attempt to reduce the fumes.

I hope the smell dissipates soon, it does bother me. I am sure it can't be healthy, either.
What did you have for lunch?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Finally, many of the high-touch, flexible plastic "skin" materials used today in cars have a high content of petrochemical "aromatics" which is what keeps them flexible and resistant to sun for years. Those also smell strong. You will even notice a film on the windshield - that is out-gassing deposit from those aromatics.

Corvettes, because they are largely constructed of plastics, will have a lot more of this going on.
Funny you should mention this because my windows were really filmed up on the inside. I was surprised how quickly they got dirty. I spent a lot of time yesterday cleaning all the glass.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I'm an RC modeler (too many hobbies), and I work a lot with epoxies and other adhesives that use chemical curing. As Adamsocb indicates earlier, you are getting the car days after assembly. The strongest epoxies and resins take the longest to cure, and some may not be fully cured for several weeks - that is definitely the case with any fiberglas polyurethane resins as used in the Corvette's SMC panels. There is also the possibility that some of the batches were not properly mixed, in which case the glue never fully cures. Uncured resin continues to out-gas for a long time, which would be the case for the Lotus problem cited above.

And no, you are not crazy if you feel the smells are making you sick. Epoxy and resin is a serious irritant to the skin and breathing passages.

They are called 'plasticizers' in the industry. I used to analyze them when I worked in the lab years ago. Here are some automotive interior products that are typical. This is what you can smell for months in a new vehicle....

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Ch...-interior.aspx
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by -CM-
You should have smelled the C6!

I actually like the smell of my Brownstone interior. It's a little chemically, but not awful.

If you want to eliminate the odor more quickly, put an open container of ground coffee inside.
So what keeps your car from smelling like coffee?

I have old car/ mothball smell in my 1980. I really want to get rid of it. So I guess coffee is better what the smell is now.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

A co-worker of mine has a Lotus that also had the adhesive aroma.

Didn't last long in his as he's a smoker and smokes in it, so that "new car" smell got displaced pretty quick in his.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
My C6 never smelled like chemicals. It did not have that strong
leather smell of high end cars. What has gm done with this
C7 it seems wrong from front to rear. The C6 did not have
as varied complaints as this C7, C5 neither.
Ol' Tex has forgotten the well-publicized odor problem of C6s yet is bashing C7s as usual as if THEY have a widespread odor problem (they don't). Typical
Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM
pittperson
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I love that new car smell . Once that is gone, I like to get a nice smelling candle and keep it in the car. I don't light it, I just let the wax do its job.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed the smell of most likely some adhesives in the first few days, but left it in my well ventilated garage for several days with the top out and windows down and drove it with the top out for the first few weeks as often as possible. Now, it has a very pleasant leather like odor and the filming on the windows is gone.

Just let it air out people...this is not a problem.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:30 PM
nickmenow
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Best way to absorb a smell in a car: charcoal. Not the briquettes...the lump charcoal without all the chems. It's cheap and you'll be able to use it once BBQ season comes back around. Coffee will stale and begin to make your car worse with a bad coffee smell.

Put the charcoal in a bowl and stick it in the back hatch. Close the car up and let it work over night. Repeat every night. After a few days there will be difference. (For those about to comment...no don't leave it in while driving...keep it at home and cover the bowl when not in use. There are other products out there at asian stores but it's the same thing and cheaper.

My experience: I bought a 2008 Coupe that was supposed to be a non-smoker used car but once that air freshener wore off it was a nasty smelling cig car. A couple of weeks with this method and the smell was completely gone. I also have a Kimche story with my wife's family Tahoe but let me tell you that it's better to just sell the truck when kimche gets loose and spills.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nickmenow
I also have a Kimche story with my wife's family Tahoe but let me tell you that it's better to just sell the truck when kimche gets loose and spills.
My Viet Vet buddy used to say, every time we got into trouble, "We're really in deep kimche now, pardner..."

That will give others an idea what it smells like.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:56 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by nickmenow
I also have a Kimche story ....
Probably better to post the kimchi story on the Hyundai and Kia forums ...
Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
All I want to smell is leather.....for a LONG time!
Try using Voodoo leather treatment & preservative. I use it on all my leather furniture as well as my Corvette seats. It not only "feeds" and preserves your leather, it has a super nice smell. When it disappears, reapply it. Great stuff.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Folgers, Starbucks, Dunkin? Which brand and should it be flavored?
Hazlenut flavored coffee grounds work best , by far.

All joking aside, it is outgassing from plasticizers, resins and glues, esp in a fiberglass vehicle obsessed with trying to save grams by avoiding as many metal fasterers as possible. By the time German or Asian luxo cars get across the ocean to a US dealership, they have been many , many weeks from manufacture, so the outgas fumes are mostly released and the leather aroma remains. Some Corvette owners get their cars within a couple weeks of assembly.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 10-20-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My C7 Stinks!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really just what carbon fiber smells like...
Old 10-20-2013, 10:13 AM
coolhand5599
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rent a small ozone machine. Put in the car for a few days
Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
My wife doesn't care for it, but I enjoy the strong leather smell of my 3LT Kalahari. An open can of baking soda also works well.
Ya! And it's cheaper than coffee.

Quick Reply: My C7 Stinks!