C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Thank you for your post! Very reassuring! I am reading the threads regarding your experiences right now. I'm so glad it turned out so well for you!
PM sent
Old 10-22-2013, 09:23 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
PM sent
Replied
Old 10-22-2013, 11:08 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,216 Likes on 6,020 Posts

Well hot damn... good job GM. It really is poor that the car made it out of the factory, but this is the way to make it right.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:25 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm just mortified as I look at your paint photos. I'm shocked that GM doesn't have better quality control for such a high-end car. Inexcusable.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:49 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Well hot damn... good job GM. It really is poor that the car made it out of the factory, but this is the way to make it right.
Absolutely! I'm very pleased so far.

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
I'm just mortified as I look at your paint photos. I'm shocked that GM doesn't have better quality control for such a high-end car. Inexcusable.
Since the degree of issues is so great, even they are surprised this car made it out of the factory the way it was. Stuff happens...I'm just glad they want to make it right.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:47 AM
VRMMMM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carnut12
I am sure all the posts put a lot more pressure on GM to do the right thing in this case, thankfully you posted on the Forum, that is powerful.

Just open communication, good for both sides. Sounds like everyone wants to see a happy ending here.

My car is due end of November, and its black. I'm not super picky, but I will be looking a bit closer now.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:58 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

UPDATE!

First, I want everyone to know that my local dealership's customer service manager has offered nothing less than the highest level of customer service over the last two days.

Secondly, my impression from Chevrolet Customer Care has been that they want to resolve my issues in a way that is reasonable and satisfactory for everyone involved. After meeting with my local customer service manager, I am even more convinced that this is indeed the case and have full confidence in the situation being resolved appropriately.

Here's where we are at this point...

Chevrolet is taking the quality issues with my car very seriously. Conversations took place today at a very high level within Chevrolet/Corvette management and the consensus is that my Corvette should have never made it out of the factory in the condition that it did. They have not yet offered to buy the Corvette back and send me a new one, but that is still a possibility. However, the solution I am agreeing to attempt is better, in my opinion.

Chevrolet wants to transport my Corvette back to the factory so they can properly address every issue. Because so many panels have issues (my local Customer Service Manager pointed out additional paint and body problems that I had yet to discover), I am requesting a total re-skinning of the car with all new body panels. Of course, this will be done at the factory and the fit and finish will be correct.

I imagine the scrutiny that will be given to the completed product will be significant because they will not want to send anything back to me that is less than the highest quality. If this is the route they decide to take, I would get to keep my 1786 VIN and not have to go through another break-in process.

Consideration is also been given to the inconvenience and down time that will occur while my Corvette is at the factory. I feel that it is appropriate to not discuss in a public format the consideration being given, but suffice it to say that it appears that Chevrolet/Corvette is going to exceed my expectations in this regard.

Once my repaired Corvette passes their inspection, I have been told that someone from the plant will accompany my Corvette to personally deliver it back to me.

This is what I know at this time. I will learn more specifics in the next day or two, but it looks like this is going to be handled professionally and appropriately at every point. I am extremely appreciative of this!
Sounds like excellent customer service from Chevrolet, and I am relieved that they are taking full responsibility for their quality missteps on your car. I am also impressed with your dealer who found issues that even you did not see, and brought them to your attention. That's service! I would definitely buy from them again.

After hearing this, I may put in an order after all.

Michael
Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by VRMMMM
Just open communication, good for both sides. Sounds like everyone wants to see a happy ending here.

My car is due end of November, and its black. I'm not super picky, but I will be looking a bit closer now.
Originally Posted by Michael A
Sounds like excellent customer service from Chevrolet, and I am relieved that they are taking full responsibility for their quality missteps on your car. I am also impressed with your dealer who found issues that even you did not see, and brought them to your attention. That's service! I would definitely buy from them again.

After hearing this, I may put in an order after all.

Michael
Excellent service all the way around! Get this, my local dealership isn't even the dealership I purchased my Corvette from! They still haven't received their 2014 Corvettes yet. But they treat me as if I purchased mine there!

I wouldn't hesitate to order a Corvette at all. I think the extent of my problems is a rare anomaly. Yes, I know there are problems here and there for some, but Chevrolet is on top of these and wants to get any bugs corrected asap. This car is incredible and the sooner you get in one, the sooner you'll be enjoying the best Corvette ever made!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Whouston
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent photos of the paint issues. I learned a lot and now will take a good look at a new C7. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2013, 10:10 AM
JMBLOWNWS6
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

That is awesome. I know that your being inconvenienced by having to go thru all this but looks like GM has stepped up to give you the product you paid for as well as compensation. Its nice to hear something good come out of this and hopefully it will not allow this to happen to others.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry you're dealing with this OP, but WOW - it sounds like Chevy is really stepping up to ensure you're made right on this. Aside from the car being perfect to begin with, you really can't ask for much more.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
bave
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
For what we pay for Corvettes compared to their competition we are lucky. I have seen the same problem on a 911 costing $50,000 more.
I have owned 4 911's and never once did I see a factory paint run or debris in the paint like that. Let alone headlight lenses that look like that?

Orange peel, that's everywhere sure, however this is just a complete lack of regard as to quality.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:14 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Yes, Chevrolet Customer Care and Corvette management is really stepping up to the plate on this. I'll find out in the next couple of days the final arrangements and when they are going to pick up my Corvette. Like it's been said, other than not having the problems to begin with, I couldn't be more pleased with the way this is being handled from my local dealership all the way to Chevrolet/Corvette corporate.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jag glad to hear they are working diligently to rectify the paint problem. If it makes you feel any better (and I hope it does) I went through this with a brand new Lambo around 4years ago, they were beyond helpful as it sounds you are getting the same concern. I'm sure it will all turn out well,hang in here. Dan
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Jag glad to hear they are working diligently to rectify the paint problem. If it makes you feel any better (and I hope it does) I went through this with a brand new Lambo around 4years ago, they were beyond helpful as it sounds you are getting the same concern. I'm sure it will all turn out well,hang in here. Dan
Thanks, Dan!
Old 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Yes, Chevrolet Customer Care and Corvette management is really stepping up to the plate on this. I'll find out in the next couple of days the final arrangements and when they are going to pick up my Corvette. Like it's been said, other than not having the problems to begin with, I couldn't be more pleased with the way this is being handled from my local dealership all the way to Chevrolet/Corvette corporate.
Well, I want to commend YOU for how you've handled this!!!!
So many of threads about quality issues turn into screaming bitch fests about GM this/dealer that (and the bitching is always done by someone OTHER than the OP), you've set the example and this thread has remained civil. I am very happy for you, it is amazing what happens when you act like a mature adult!

Jimmy
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well, I want to commend YOU for how you've handled this!!!!
So many of threads about quality issues turn into screaming bitch fests about GM this/dealer that (and the bitching is always done by someone OTHER than the OP), you've set the example and this thread has remained civil. I am very happy for you, it is amazing what happens when you act like a mature adult!

Jimmy
Jimmy, thank you for your kind words. Life is too short to get all bent out of shape about most things. And worry, stress, and anger only serve to shorten life. My philosophy is to enjoy every day I possibly can while on planet earth and I trust that God is ultimately in control anyway, so why fret?

My mom suddenly passed away in November of 2011 at the age of 65. Her death had a significant impact on me and how I handle the irritations life throws my way. I try to enjoy each day and to live in a way that helps others enjoy life too. We're all on this merry-go-round for a short time and I choose to live it to the fullest possible and to try to do my part to help others do the same. So even when someone messes up, my goal is to work through the situation in a way that accomplishes the best outcome for everyone involved. You didn't ask for all of that, but there it is.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

God bless your Mom. She passed away way to soon but raised a wise and well informed son..
Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,930 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally Posted by bave
I have owned 4 911's and never once did I see a factory paint run or debris in the paint like that. Let alone headlight lenses that look like that?

Orange peel, that's everywhere sure, however this is just a complete lack of regard as to quality.
Just for the heck of it, I did a scan of the 981 Cayman forum, a car that was also released earlier this year. I could only find one paint issue, and that was for scratches under a plastic anti-chip film. They were buffed out by a detailer, and the film replaced. I couldn't find anyone with misaligned interior parts, panel gaps problems, stuck pixels on their displays, or missing parts.

Chevrolet may have hit the target for Porsche handling, steering, and interior design. Next up should be the quality target.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 10-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:01 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Bill17601
God bless your Mom. She passed away way to soon but raised a wise and well informed son..
Thank you

Quick Reply: C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?