Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me and GM offered to re-paint the car and after a lot of arguing back and forth, that is what they did. They will not give you another car and ask them not to report it or it will show-up on Carfax. If that happens, you'll lose around 10% of the value for a repainted car. I was so disgusted that this could happen on my brand new car, I traded the car in for another brand new one (same exact car) that I checked over completely. I lost around $5000 on the trade + registration fees/tax but the new car was perfect. I'm really sorry that this happened to you.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:07 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

The service manager has asked me to come to the dealership this afternoon. I will know something soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
UPDATE: After finding the paint runs, I thought I would do a closer inspection over the entire car. I've added photos of additional paint issues: debris, runs, significant orange peel, and divots. There are also blemishes on the inside of the headlight lenses.

Those craters / fish eye holes are horrible...

I wonder if that was one of those cars that came off the transporters when delivered and went to the body shops for repairs?... Maybe im just to picky, but I would consider that "paint damage" on a new car... I would most certainly NOT call the OP "lucky".
Old 10-22-2013, 04:48 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

I'm at work and can't concentrate on getting my work done! Closing time can't come soon enough!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
My god this is inexcusible , OP should be issued a new Car Yesterday , the old one crushed (too many flaws), the paint robots ripped out and crushed, the paint Mgr fired , Paint dept Workers docked a days pay, and the Quality control inspector flogged. Also the prep and detail workers at the Dealer flogged for good measure, and last the Dealer should lose His Franchise. Will all this make all You self important Keybord Commandos happy ?
It's just paint , a real easy repair . I have never seen such a whiney bunch of Crybabys. It's a Car if You actually drive it You WILL get nicks and scratches , then what You gonna do ? junk it ? Because We all know that it can only be painted at the factory.
Rant off.
I assume you've never had a car painted? Do you realize the amount of work needed to fully disassemble a car to do a proper repaint? Everything has to be taken apart to do it right. Every single trim panel and clip will be that little bit looser now. Furthermore, aftermarket paint is not baked on in the same manner as the OEM paint. It is typically softer.

I would not take a repaint of my brand new $70,000 car. Especially not a yellow one. Mark may words they will not match the paint properly.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I assume you've never had a car painted? Do you realize the amount of work needed to fully disassemble a car to do a proper repaint? Everything has to be taken apart to do it right. Every single trim panel and clip will be that little bit looser now. Furthermore, aftermarket paint is not baked on in the same manner as the OEM paint. It is typically softer.

I would not take a repaint of my brand new $70,000 car. Especially not a yellow one. Mark may words they will not match the paint properly.
Something is up with this car, some panels don't even line up. OP, if this car is not perfect no way would I accept it, tell them you want a new one.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

Hope this works out for you. Please keep us posted!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

At the dealership now. The service manager is with someone so I'm waiting for him to finish up. I feel like a patient waiting for the doc to give the results of the tests he ran and what they are going to want to do as a result. Nerve racking to say the least!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:22 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Default Update! Chevrolet/corvette's initial response

UPDATE!

First, I want everyone to know that my local dealership's customer service manager has offered nothing less than the highest level of customer service over the last two days.

Secondly, my impression from Chevrolet Customer Care has been that they want to resolve my issues in a way that is reasonable and satisfactory for everyone involved. After meeting with my local customer service manager, I am even more convinced that this is indeed the case and have full confidence in the situation being resolved appropriately.

Here's where we are at this point...

Chevrolet is taking the quality issues with my car very seriously. Conversations took place today at a very high level within Chevrolet/Corvette management and the consensus is that my Corvette should have never made it out of the factory in the condition that it did. They have not yet offered to buy the Corvette back and send me a new one, but that is still a possibility. However, the solution I am agreeing to attempt is better, in my opinion.

Chevrolet wants to transport my Corvette back to the factory so they can properly address every issue. Because so many panels have issues (my local Customer Service Manager pointed out additional paint and body problems that I had yet to discover), I am requesting a total re-skinning of the car with all new body panels. Of course, this will be done at the factory and the fit and finish will be correct.

I imagine the scrutiny that will be given to the completed product will be significant because they will not want to send anything back to me that is less than the highest quality. If this is the route they decide to take, I would get to keep my 1786 VIN and not have to go through another break-in process.

Consideration is also been given to the inconvenience and down time that will occur while my Corvette is at the factory. I feel that it is appropriate to not discuss in a public format the consideration being given, but suffice it to say that it appears that Chevrolet/Corvette is going to exceed my expectations in this regard.

Once my repaired Corvette passes their inspection, I have been told that someone from the plant will accompany my Corvette to personally deliver it back to me.

This is what I know at this time. I will learn more specifics in the next day or two, but it looks like this is going to be handled professionally and appropriately at every point. I am extremely appreciative of this!

Last edited by jagamajajaran; 10-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Hit em up for some Taco Bell free meal coupons as well.
Glad they are stepping up for you, hope it works out well.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Hit em up for some Taco Bell free meal coupons as well.
Glad they are stepping up for you, hope it works out well.
Great idea!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

UPDATE!

Chevrolet wants to transport my Corvette back to the factory so they can properly address every issue. Because so many panels have issues (my local Customer Service Manager pointed out additional paint and body problems that I had yet to discover), I am requesting a total re-skinning of the car with all new body panels. Of course, this will be done at the factory and the fit and finish will be correct.

I imagine the scrutiny that will be given to the completed product will be significant because they will not want to send anything back to me that is less than the highest quality. If this is the route they decide to take, I would get to keep my 1786 VIN and not have to go through another break-in process.
That is what they did last year for another forum member with a new C6 with a color matching problem last year.

If you contact this member he should be able to give you some input on what he went through:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...nd-l-s-c6.html
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM
ta70raiii
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran

Sounds like they are really focused on doing the right thing for you!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by RJRSW
That is what they did last year for another forum member with a new C6 with a color matching problem last year.

If you contact this member he should be able to give you some input on what he went through:

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by ta70raiii
Sounds like they are really focused on doing the right thing for you!

It sure appears so!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

UPDATE!

First, I want everyone to know that my local dealership's customer service manager has offered nothing less than the highest level of customer service over the last two days.

Secondly, my impression from Chevrolet Customer Care has been that they want to resolve my issues in a way that is reasonable and satisfactory for everyone involved. After meeting with my local customer service manager, I am even more convinced that this is indeed the case and have full confidence in the situation being resolved appropriately.

Here's where we are at this point...

Chevrolet is taking the quality issues with my car very seriously. Conversations took place today at a very high level within Chevrolet/Corvette management and the consensus is that my Corvette should have never made it out of the factory in the condition that it did. They have not yet offered to buy the Corvette back and send me a new one, but that is still a possibility. However, the solution I am agreeing to attempt is better, in my opinion.

Consideration is also been given to the inconvenience and down time that will occur while my Corvette is at the factory. I feel that it is appropriate to not discuss in a public format the consideration being given, but suffice it to say that it appears that Chevrolet/Corvette is going to exceed my expectations in this regard.

Once my repaired Corvette passes their inspection, I have been told that someone from the plant will accompany my Corvette to personally deliver it back to me.

This is what I know at this time. I will learn more specifics in the next day or two, but it looks like this is going to be handled professionally and appropriately at every point. I am extremely appreciative of this!
Now that is impressive customer service.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:47 PM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Early production issues
Glad I bought a 427

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Now we're getting somewhere.

At least appears headed in the right direction.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW

Yep, I'm the one who they did that for last year although I had to drive it myself to Bowling Green.

Don't worry, if it's going back to the plant, your'e in good hands. Upon my arrival in BG, Tom Hill handed me the fob to his Z06 to use, and it two days they completely re paneled my car, including the rockers. When I got it back, it was flawless.

When I purchased mine I didn't notice the front fender was off colored in the sun. It turned out that the fender was indeed the right color, but the door and quarter panel were off a shade.
Attachment 47742037

Below is after I got it back, it was spotless. Fit and finish were perfect.

Attachment 47742038

Last edited by R&L's C6; 11-27-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Yep, I'm the one who they did that for last year although I had to drive it myself to Bowling Green.

Don't worry, if it's going back to the plant, your'e in good hands. Upon my arrival in BG, Tom Hill handed me the fob to his Z06 to use, and it two days they completely re paneled my car, including the rockers. When I got it back, it was flawless.

When I purchased mine I didn't notice the front fender was off colored in the sun. It turned out that the fender was indeed the right color, but the door and quarter panel were off a shade.
Attachment 47742037

Below is after I got it back, it was spotless. Fit and finish were perfect.

Attachment 47742038
Thank you for your post! Very reassuring! I am reading the threads regarding your experiences right now. I'm so glad it turned out so well for you!

Quick Reply: C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?