Old 10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,529 Likes on 2,322 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I'd print those pictures out and take them with you. Make good copies to give to the dealer and to the GM rep. That's really quite bad.
Good idea! Earlier tonight, I emailed the links to them to the general manager at my local dealership. He's a personal friend and is on top of this. GM Customer Service has been monitoring my posts and we've been in regular communication through private message.

Besides the paint issues, there are other issues as well, and that's what my appointment tomorrow morning at the dealership is for.

- Memory seat recall doesn't function properly.
- Flickering nav screen.
- Hands free phone system cutting off calls.
- Competitive Driving Mode will not engage.
- Missing bolt on bottom of front facia.
- One time, loud metal clinking sound (like something feel off and landed on the undercarriage).

Last edited by E.T.D. Corvettes; 10-20-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM
eurostyle
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
The top coat of clear is untinted, first and foremost I am sure they are going to try and wet sand it and then power polish it. You always try the easiest most logical repair first.
On a VY car the top coat of clear is tinted with the same VY base coat.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by eurostyle
That's why I'm so concerned about any repaint matching 100%
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,196 Likes on 6,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
The top coat of clear is untinted, first and foremost I am sure they are going to try and wet sand it and then power polish it. You always try the easiest most logical repair first.
That's not accurate. The clear is tinted yellow. They spray a white primer, yellow base coat, and then a yellow tinted clear.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Wow that is worse than the past, which was never good. I had 3 C5's and each one got progressively worse in the paint dept. My 2004 was real bad, dirt on every panel under the clear coat.

I hope you can get a new car with a better paint job.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who reads the detailing forums and follows the high end detailers will know that these exact types of defects are found on almost every single new vehicle sold in the world, and I am not exaggerating.
With the right lighting, and the right attention to detail, and the right eye, these types of defects will be found on almost every vehicle. This includes all the supercars, exotics, etc.

This is unfortunate, but I will advise most guys that sending it to anyone but a high-end detailer that knows what they're doing is an exercise in futility.

Of course, yes I would be displeased too, if I found these defects on my new C7.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:55 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible that is all fixable by doing a paint correction (wetsand and buff)..and in the end it might come out better then every other C7 you will see out there. I only seen 1 so far and it had a little to much orange peel for my liking! But as long as the clear is thick enough (good detailer has the tool to measure) the paint can be flatened smooth as silk! and end up looking like a showcar paint job
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Thanks for the well wishes and feedback. I do disagree with the statement that these kinds of defects are found on almost every single new vehicle sold in the world. I recently assisted my father in purchasing a new Camry. When we got it home, I did a complete interior and exterior treatment. There wasn't a single blemish in the paint at all - no runs, no debris, no divots - just a high quality paint job on a car that cost a lot less than my Corvette. I guess I expect better. But I appreciate your input.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by JetBlue427
Its possible that is all fixable by doing a paint correction (wetsand and buff)..and in the end it might come out better then every other C7 you will see out there. I only seen 1 so far and it had a little to much orange peel for my liking! But as long as the clear is thick enough (good detailer has the tool to measure) the paint can be flatened smooth as silk! and end up looking like a showcar paint job
If a showcar paint job is possible without any repainting, I'd be happy with that. Some say it's not, others say it is. I guess I'll find out.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by SimpleC6
Anyone who reads the detailing forums and follows the high end detailers will know that these exact types of defects are found on almost every single new vehicle sold in the world, and I am not exaggerating.
With the right lighting, and the right attention to detail, and the right eye, these types of defects will be found on almost every vehicle. This includes all the supercars, exotics, etc.

This is unfortunate, but I will advise most guys that sending it to anyone but a high-end detailer that knows what they're doing is an exercise in futility.

Of course, yes I would be displeased too, if I found these defects on my new C7.
I completely disagree with you. I detail my cars regularly, and have gone over every square inch under various lights, including fluorescent, and they have none of these issues, including my 2000 C5. I have a 95 Trans Am that wasn't exactly built during the quality era with paint that looks way better than this 19 years later! I can't imagine where anyone would ever get the idea that paint runs, divots, dirt, and orange peel varying from panel to panel are normal. My headlights don't have defects either.

This is completely unacceptable. I applaud the jagamajajaran for his/her thorough documentation, and putting up some great photos of the issues. Thank you.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 10-20-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Thanks for the well wishes and feedback. I do disagree with the statement that these kinds of defects are found on almost every single new vehicle sold in the world. I recently assisted my father in purchasing a new Camry. When we got it home, I did a complete interior and exterior treatment. There wasn't a single blemish in the paint at all - no runs, no debris, no divots - just a high quality paint job on a car that cost a lot less than my Corvette. I guess I expect better. But I appreciate your input.
I agree, and I think there are always going to be outliers. I think the vast majority of '14 C7's are pretty much defect free, but the attention is focused on those that aren't (especially on CorvetteForum).
Good luck getting it remedied. Also note, the issue regarding entering PTM or Competitive Driving mode appears to be simply a matter of the dealer doing a global reset. Also, your center screen issue is one of probably about 9-10 now (I need to update my database) with various issues related to the screen.
Good luck!
S.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:10 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Michael A
I completely disagree with you. I detail my cars regularly, and have gone over every square inch under various lights, including fluorescent, and they have none of these issues, including my 2000 C5. I have a 95 Trans Am that wasn't exactly built during the quality era with paint that looks way better than this 19 years later! I can't imagine where anyone would ever get the idea that paint runs, divots, dirt, and orange peel varying from panel to panel are normal. My headlights don't have defects either.

This is completely unacceptable. I applaud the jagamajajaran for his/her thorough documentation, and putting up some great photos of the issues. Thank you.

Michael
And I'm a "his." Now, hopefully the efforts will pay off in the end. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed paint runs all the way down the hard lower ridge of both the driver's and passenger's doors of my Stingray.
The paint and the headlights are IMO unacceptable. If I were you I'd tell them to give me another C7...the same color if you want to chance that again, or a different color. You shouldn't have to put up with having a brand new car fixed at the level of fix required on that car.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Notch
The paint and the headlights are IMO unacceptable. If I were you I'd tell them to give me another C7...the same color if you want to chance that again, or a different color. You shouldn't have to put up with having a brand new car fixed at the level of fix required on that car.
That's definitely my preference.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Notch
Safety Car

That's definitely my preference.
I wouldn't offer them a choice.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:50 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by Notch
I wouldn't offer them a choice.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 AM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

My god this is inexcusible , OP should be issued a new Car Yesterday , the old one crushed (too many flaws), the paint robots ripped out and crushed, the paint Mgr fired , Paint dept Workers docked a days pay, and the Quality control inspector flogged. Also the prep and detail workers at the Dealer flogged for good measure, and last the Dealer should lose His Franchise. Will all this make all You self important Keybord Commandos happy ?
It's just paint , a real easy repair . I have never seen such a whiney bunch of Crybabys. It's a Car if You actually drive it You WILL get nicks and scratches , then what You gonna do ? junk it ? Because We all know that it can only be painted at the factory.
Rant off.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's not accurate. The clear is tinted yellow. They spray a white primer, yellow base coat, and then a yellow tinted clear.
Originally Posted by eurostyle
Yes that is true, the body shop repair would do a true tri-coat, hence the troubles matching this color.
So much for sanding and polishing as that would really create a mis match mess.......say that 5 times quickly.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 AM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
My god this is inexcusible , OP should be issued a new Car Yesterday , the old one crushed (too many flaws), the paint robots ripped out and crushed, the paint Mgr fired , Paint dept Workers docked a days pay, and the Quality control inspector flogged. Also the prep and detail workers at the Dealer flogged for good measure, and last the Dealer should lose His Franchise. Will all this make all You self important Keybord Commandos happy ?
It's just paint , a real easy repair . I have never seen such a whiney bunch of Crybabys. It's a Car if You actually drive it You WILL get nicks and scratches , then what You gonna do ? junk it ? Because We all know that it can only be painted at the factory.
Rant off.
Wow! You're solutions are rather extreme, don't you think!? Now, as for the issue at hand, I haven't been whiney or a crybaby about the matter at all. No "ranting" about the problems on my part here, but you have provided quite the example of what a good rant sounds like. I am simply looking for advice, which runs the gamut of having a detail shop work on the paint issues to asking for a replacement vehicle. My stance from the beginning has been to point out the issues to my local dealer and to let them work with GM on a solution. Yes, I want the issues corrected, but there's no crying going on here. I guess you were offering your advice on the matter, so I will say, "Thank you." and move along.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 AM
c7luvr
Racer

I would demand a new car.

Quick Reply: C7 owners - paint runs on the doors?