C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 or C6 ZR-1

Old 10-19-2013, 03:21 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the C7. I will buy my first Vette after having many Porsches because of the differences from previous generations of Vettes. That said, before the C7, I never looked at Vettes. For many recent years they all looked to similar to me. You could say the same for Porsche, but it was the devil I knew. The 7 represented something new, something exciting, the devil no one knew. I like her....... at least from a distance.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
put it this way, it's easier to make a C7 in to a ZR1 than a ZR1 into a C7.
Maybe.

Look at it this way. Some are saying a ZR1's only up-side is its hp, that a twin turbo kit will meet or exceed 640hp, and thus the C7 is the obvious superior car. Let's compare the details. To level the playing field, assume some basic equalities, lets say both on SuperSport or SportCup tires and identical brake fluid.

The C7 is a much stiffer chassis, so the ZR1 wont be able to match that. But how much does that really affect its handling? Probably an immeasurable amount since there is no apples to apples comparison. The C7 also has an updated magnetic ride, but the ZR1's is not dinosaur tech by any stretch. Again, its impossible to calculate how much that affects performance, as both versions haven't been in a single car. The C7's front to weight bias is certainly better then the ZR1's. The interior is obviously a huge upgrade, base to base and 3zr to 3lt.

Advantages for the ZR1? 200 more hp. Brakes are much better, if not so much in initial stopping, they will well outlast the C7's on a track. Widebody allows wider wheels/tires. The engine is forged, and built to withstand the most power Chevy could throw at it and then some(short of maybe the iron LSx). Last but certainly not least, it was built to handle the kind of power it makes.

-The ZR1 already out handles the C7, the numbers show that, although its updated suspension brings it incredibly close to ZR1 specs. Not much you can do to improve a magnetic ride Z51 or a ZR1.
-Bring the C7 up to ZR1 power levels? Now you're spending a good chunk of change on a twin turbo kit, or h/c/I that could be on the more extreme side(though that is yet to be seen). Not only that, but to make it truly comparable you need to upgrade the trans, upgrade the diff, and beef up the axles to withstand that power. That's a considerable amount of cash right there.
-Tirewise, if the C6 is any indication, the C7 probably can fit a 265/305 tire F/R comfortably VS 295/345 for the ZR1. There is nothing to solve that issue yet, nor for some considerable time, so the C7 has to make due with the contact patch inequality.
-Brakes, well, either the C7 needs serious cooling capacity provided by ducts and whatever other means, or carbon ceramics. They may not show signs of faltering in tests, but no matter how well the C7's were designed, the ZR1's are better. Period.
-Interior obviously goes to the C7. I've never even seen a C7 in person, but I've sat in many C6's. I fit perfectly in them, and everything is where it should be for me. Shifter, gauges, and seating position were all perfect to me, and not many others complain about them either. The radio, steering wheel, dash, and seats are what need improvement big time and where the C7 shines. All these things however, can be upgraded by aftermarket companies in the ZR1. Quality leather dash, smaller alacantara steering wheel, aftermarket radio/nav, and two tone alacantara/leather seats are a credit card swipe away.

So one can drop serious coin on a C7 to upgrade the motor or supercharge/twin turbo it, beef up the drivetrain, get aftermarket brakes, fit slightly larger wheels/tires

or

Take the ZR1 to a custom interior upholstery shop or any of the plethora of aftermarket companies, and have the interior tailored to the exact specs you want.

Look at it this way, if you were to look at a ZR1 with 75,000 miles you'd think no biggie. It came with a 100,000 mile warranty after all, it's built to last. If you want, you can even customize its interior to your liking. However, if you found a 640hp C7 that has been supercharged for 75,000 miles, you'd be forced to wonder about if the entire drivetrain has significant wear and tear, if the motor was forged in order to withstand that boost, and if the brakes could handle a car that moves that fast.

And as soon as you got bored with 640hp, spend a grand on an intake and pully and up the boost another 6psi. At that point though, you still know the LS9 can take it and keep on trucking, can the LT1...
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Well duhhh, ZR1 without a doubt.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Depends on what you're looking for: ZR1 is a streetable race car. C7 is a raceable street car.

I've now had both cars and found the ZR1 power largely unusable on the street and still haven't recovered from a drive through the downtown streets of Chatanooga. The ZR1 is hard to beat for shear performance, though, but lacks refinement in everything else. Its not a great road car, so if that's what you're looking for spend those bucks on the the C7.

The C7 is a new view of what the Corvette should be. It shows that these days GM can build cars to compete with the world. It uses lessons learned in the ZR1 and adds style and refinement. Its certainly fast enough for the street, and perfroms very well on the track, if that what you want to do.

So, if you want to race, get the ZR1 or wait until 2015. For the street, hands down, get the C7.

Last edited by Vettrocious; 10-19-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

are we done?
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
put it this way, it's easier to make a C7 in to a ZR1 than a ZR1 into a C7.
True only if you take looks completely out of the equation. You are talking strictly performance.

Last edited by Paulchristian; 10-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM
VetteFX
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both cars are incredible and incredible at what they do. They both look and perform awesome, I think for power obviously the ZR1 (until they come out with a performance version of the C7 in the next couple years) as far as just a great cruising comfortable car I think Id grab me a new C7.

As far as a ZR1 ever being a collector car...I just don't see it, its not a limited production car like the 1970-1972 ZR1 Corvettes, just look at the C4 ZR1s that people paid $70K plus for and now you can buy for $25K with basically no miles. In 2010 the were 3 times as many ZR1s made as there were Z06s, and ZR1 production was roughly 50% of the base corvette production.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

C7 all day long and twice on Sundays.
For me, the ZR1 hasn't been able to make the cut and find it's way into my garage over the last three purchasing decisions and at this point, it never will.
S.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:12 PM
sting ya
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the option to go either way. I chose the c7 ! you cant beat new ! Technology - and it will continue to change for the better. Everyone who owns a zr1 will jump on here crying
zr1! Its still a beast of car. but will be past tense whether they like it or not ! Go New 1
its a no brainer for the not so stubborn people ready for change. the c7 hi po will be an animal !!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,430 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Have a ZR and love it. Tight, quiet and a fabulous road car with gobs of power, and wondrous low end, available-anytime-torque. A great road trip machine as well a track monster. And bullet-proof reliable.

I also like the 7. I wouldn't trade the ZR for Stingray. What I plan to do, tho, is add the hi-po variant 7 to the stable and keep the ZR.

If someone is interested in ZR performance but at a price point, yet likes the new stuff the 7 has, one option would be to pick up a ZR now, enjoy lower depreciation over the next couple years, and then pick up a 1-2 year old 7 hi-po model down the line. If the performance side of the equation is less important than the new stuff/interior/style etc, then getting the 7 would make sense.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Maybe.

Look at it this way. Some are saying a ZR1's only up-side is its hp, that a twin turbo kit will meet or exceed 640hp, and thus the C7 is the obvious superior car. Let's compare the details. To level the playing field, assume some basic equalities, lets say both on SuperSport or SportCup tires and identical brake fluid.

The C7 is a much stiffer chassis, so the ZR1 wont be able to match that. But how much does that really affect its handling? Probably an immeasurable amount since there is no apples to apples comparison. The C7 also has an updated magnetic ride, but the ZR1's is not dinosaur tech by any stretch. Again, its impossible to calculate how much that affects performance, as both versions haven't been in a single car. The C7's front to weight bias is certainly better then the ZR1's. The interior is obviously a huge upgrade, base to base and 3zr to 3lt.

Advantages for the ZR1? 200 more hp. Brakes are much better, if not so much in initial stopping, they will well outlast the C7's on a track. Widebody allows wider wheels/tires. The engine is forged, and built to withstand the most power Chevy could throw at it and then some(short of maybe the iron LSx). Last but certainly not least, it was built to handle the kind of power it makes.

-The ZR1 already out handles the C7, the numbers show that, although its updated suspension brings it incredibly close to ZR1 specs. Not much you can do to improve a magnetic ride Z51 or a ZR1.
-Bring the C7 up to ZR1 power levels? Now you're spending a good chunk of change on a twin turbo kit, or h/c/I that could be on the more extreme side(though that is yet to be seen). Not only that, but to make it truly comparable you need to upgrade the trans, upgrade the diff, and beef up the axles to withstand that power. That's a considerable amount of cash right there.
-Tirewise, if the C6 is any indication, the C7 probably can fit a 265/305 tire F/R comfortably VS 295/345 for the ZR1. There is nothing to solve that issue yet, nor for some considerable time, so the C7 has to make due with the contact patch inequality.
-Brakes, well, either the C7 needs serious cooling capacity provided by ducts and whatever other means, or carbon ceramics. They may not show signs of faltering in tests, but no matter how well the C7's were designed, the ZR1's are better. Period.
-Interior obviously goes to the C7. I've never even seen a C7 in person, but I've sat in many C6's. I fit perfectly in them, and everything is where it should be for me. Shifter, gauges, and seating position were all perfect to me, and not many others complain about them either. The radio, steering wheel, dash, and seats are what need improvement big time and where the C7 shines. All these things however, can be upgraded by aftermarket companies in the ZR1. Quality leather dash, smaller alacantara steering wheel, aftermarket radio/nav, and two tone alacantara/leather seats are a credit card swipe away.

So one can drop serious coin on a C7 to upgrade the motor or supercharge/twin turbo it, beef up the drivetrain, get aftermarket brakes, fit slightly larger wheels/tires

or

Take the ZR1 to a custom interior upholstery shop or any of the plethora of aftermarket companies, and have the interior tailored to the exact specs you want.

Look at it this way, if you were to look at a ZR1 with 75,000 miles you'd think no biggie. It came with a 100,000 mile warranty after all, it's built to last. If you want, you can even customize its interior to your liking. However, if you found a 640hp C7 that has been supercharged for 75,000 miles, you'd be forced to wonder about if the entire drivetrain has significant wear and tear, if the motor was forged in order to withstand that boost, and if the brakes could handle a car that moves that fast.

And as soon as you got bored with 640hp, spend a grand on an intake and pully and up the boost another 6psi. At that point though, you still know the LS9 can take it and keep on trucking, can the LT1...
Nice write up

I too am looking to decide between the two cars, and understand they are not the same which makes a tough decision to make personally... Too bad it's all snow here I can't test either so my resource is listening to those that have tested both ..
Old 01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by -=ICE=-
Nice write up

I too am looking to decide between the two cars, and understand they are not the same which makes a tough decision to make personally... Too bad it's all snow here I can't test either so my resource is listening to those that have tested both ..
Right.
Despite the fact that it was written by somebody who admitted they have "never even seen a C7 in person".
S.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:49 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
It cracks me up some of you are trying to compare a C7 to a ZR-1 performance wise. Wow, really drinking the koolaid aren't ya
Looks wise they are smoking something heavy too! I'm adding a C7 to the stable soon enough.
But keeping the ZR1. Adding a new truck and house with bigger garage too! So no hurry they are still just getting the bugs out of the C-7.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:30 AM
2013 427
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely the ZR1. In fact, I had a bit of a different decision to make when I bought my 2013 427 60th Anniv. Vert several months ago. I could have saved many thousands by waiting a few months for the C7. It is an amazing, advanced car, no doubt - but there were many improvements made to the C6 over the years and the LS7 is a beast of an engine. Seats and electronic do-dads are not that important to me and I preferred having a collectors edition car vs one of many, many C7's soon to be on the road, dealing with the first year bugs that are typical with new models. To each his own...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Snorman
C7 all day long and twice on Sundays.
For me, the ZR1 hasn't been able to make the cut and find it's way into my garage over the last three purchasing decisions and at this point, it never will.
S.
Lets see Ford GT-500 then the GTR and C7.
What a deal same EXACT cars I passed up! To buy, the ZR1 > GTR!
ZR1 > GT-500 Then ZR1 > C7! Pretty select garage you have/had
but no ZR1! All yours do come up short stock to stock
with a ZR1!
Only cut they don't make is from sour grapes non-owners!

I am making myself go past the rear end for the rest of the C7.

Cash is hand! I'll make a deal way under MSRP on a 14 when they all over everywhere. Late winter early spring! Right now the number of cars available not good for GM but
is looking great for a finding a super deal!

I was thinking better to wait is a 2015 with the 8 spd!

Same year my new GM truck is going to be.

But the deals on the 14's! I for see in 6 weeks-two month's will be too tough to pass!

Plus same the day I buy the car a Supercharger kit will be ordered!

I even have to put an offer down today on a bigger garage that comes with a house! I like my house
but coming from four garage stalls to two stall garages suck! Plus this other one has a place to lodge a boat that I really want and the best boating in Oregon and two other lakes a 1/2 mile away

I think you guys are foolish of taking a C-7 over a ZR1! To own just one car!
This a 52-76k list car vs a 120k list car.

Car to Car talk all you want about the heavy kool-aid! Not knocking the C7 but The ZR1 trashes the C7!

Both cars at the same time is where I'm going this spring!

The mass produced C7 is just the new kid right now!
With 20,000 plus produced then a short break then more for 7-8 years!

This summer when I get the ZR1 out there are will be way more C-7 around and the ZR1 is really unseen! Looks are not even close!
ZR1 vs C7 rear ok enough!
I figure they will be cheap enough to be a super bargain.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2013 427
Definitely the ZR1. In fact, I had a bit of a different decision to make when I bought my 2013 427 60th Anniv. Vert several months ago. I could have saved many thousands by waiting a few months for the C7. It is an amazing, advanced car, no doubt - but there were many improvements made to the C6 over the years and the LS7 is a beast of an engine. Seats and electronic do-dads are not that important to me and I preferred having a collectors edition car vs one of many, many C7's soon to be on the road, dealing with the first year bugs that are typical with new models. To each his own...
I hear you a 2013 427 Vert or Z06 is calling SO hard and new blower kit! After blower kits on two C-6's another is calling!

A 2013 427 vert or left over 13 Z06 (amazing deals on these can be had) with the newest A&A kit would be a true monster.

but 1 keeper C-6 and a C-7! Andy is talking me into going blown C-7)!This is where I'm going right now then in 2015 the new Z06
will get a hard look. But I bargain on all cars. I don't go out to just get the latest thing at a HIGH cost! These will be MSRP plus a high mark-up! Likely wisdom will say to wait! But a couple unplanned big ships are coming my way. If they all come in!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:15 AM
-=ICE=-
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Right.
Despite the fact that it was written by somebody who admitted they have "never even seen a C7 in person".
S.

Don't get your panties in a knot it was about the way the two cars were looked at i didn't note any experience value just took the analogy of it

I've read all the posts and threads on the reasons one is picked over another. to pick the two based on what they are desgined for i don't see a match, both vette's are not the same car at all. One is designed to kick azz over anything on the street or track, a beast if you will .... while the other is a new breed, it has power based on stock versions but it's mostly about the corvette crossing into a more exotic look and at a lower value. The price of the new vette's are lower than previous launched models

personally i keep a car for a year and sell and get something else. I have had a C4, C5, C6, the collection in my signature is current but i plan to change or add to the collection. with that resale is a factor on what i'm considering .

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or C6 ZR-1

Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,219 Likes on 13,929 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Would be a tough choice to make. I like the C7 a lot (updated features, cutting edge looks, etc.) but the ZR1 is just a beast with low production numbers. I guess I would lean towards the ZR1, but I could be very happy with either one.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I thought about this question in October and decided the C-7 and have no regrets. At that time there was a red 385 mile car on E-Bay too.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
So just so we're clear, the brakes, engine, max tire/wheel size, and trans/diff/axles are better on the C7 right?
Ah, that remains to be seen.

There was a post regarding some wheel hop with a stock C7 Z51.
For all of you new guys, some of us older guys found out the newest is not necessarily better in all respects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 or C6 ZR-1