Sponsored by:

What will a C8 bring vrs a C7!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhma
I'm happy people don't equate the C7 to older Vettes . Time for new blood. The C8, I hope will be even more radical than the C7. I'm young but old enough to see the progression of the C4-C5-C6. Basically all those models look the same. Especially the rear lights, basket handle and glass.

Hopefully the C7 isn't the beginning of another "same" era. I would hate to see the C7-C8-C9 trilogy looking basically the same as the earlier trio. I hope the Vette style is always cutting edge like the C1-C2-C3
Fail post of the decade.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope. Never had a C6, and it would sure seem that plenty still do care about the C6. I dunno if you know this, but generally speaking a C6 still holds a spot in the top three of every track it's been run. I'd say this "outdated" term that keeps getting thrown around is a bit of an exaggeration(cue "yeah but you just wait till the next Z06 comes out").

Ask if people can tell if the C6 and C5 have different rear bumpers? Seriously? Shall I blindfold them first?

Also, while the C1, 2, and 3 looked different, the C1 was a test bed, so of course generations after it will look different, they had no data to go off of yet. You know it had a super competitive solid axle right? The C3 was also just a modified C2 chassis. Do you feel the 63 chassis was so "cutting edge" at the time that it was a world beater 19 years later? You're telling me the quarter window makes the C7 look "cutting edge?" You mean a basic design that has been around since the 60's or earlier?

My mind is blown with the condescending attitude that is seemingly derived from a couple of shapes. Too many have this idea that different=automatically better. Any discussion about the design turns into some saying
"I like the car, but the lights/diffuser/entire rear seem out of place and not fluid because..."

followed by

"Your like, so old, like older then my grandpa old. And like circles are so old, like so 'outdated.' Trapazoids are the FUTURE YO! Go buy a C6 H8ter!"

with a tiny minority saying

"Hey, it's going to make a name for itself like every other vette. Some will like it and some won't like every other vette."

I'll tell you what though, CF has taught me one thing. Circles are "outdated" but while everyone is investing in trapazoids, I'm switching all my bonds ovep to pyramids. Trapazoids are so passè people...

It's a mechanically better car then a base C6. Suprise! Evolution, but not radical.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Chaz 01
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Remove the steering wheel and replace it with F-15 type flight controls, modified for use to drive rather than fly. GM would encorporate the fly by wire technology, to drive by wire. The driver controls would be mounted where the gear shift is currently located.

There would be 3 basic controls:

a control stick for directions, forward, reverse, turn left or right
control,

two rudder pedals for yaw/roll & brake control

and a throttle for speed control

Price could be an issue... would be great to see a concept design
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been suggested the c7 will be.a five year run.

Hopefully we will all be around to see the 2019 c8 release..

I'd suggest the car will be further refined with regards to power and styling....whatever is cutting edge nearer to production...

Maybe small electric motors for the front wheels . And a v8 derived LT1 driving the rear wheels...
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Flux Capacitor
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
Maybe it'll have a ******* mode for the driver.
Are you for real?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Engine driving a huge alternator which drives electric motors on each wheel independently via a controller that adjusts the required torque at each wheel. No batteries in the powertrain.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 PM
cmdrwill
Racer

GOV. will porb make 50 mpg the standard and the corvette will have a 4cyl turbo, I hope that day will never come.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Still want the V8.
Still want rear drive.

Really want lighter weight.
I like how the C7 still looks like a Vette from the side, and would like GM to keep that type of styling (long hood, rear cab, nice fender curves). Would like the rear end to taper off more, rather than ending in a large wedge. I'd like the spoiler to be more integrated (similar to how the Non-Z51 has the integrated lip spoiler where the third brake light is).

Drivetrain could get very interesting in order to improve city economy. Still like the cross-plane crank for the low vibrations and nice loping sound. Can they go smaller displacement and DOHC to improve city mileage? Do they stay pushrod, and still go smaller displacement? Do they try to get start/stop technology or AFM working more often?

Do they go with some type of KERS system? I would imagine that they almost certainly would, but I'm not sure how that would package. Do they try and use electric motor(s) to power the front wheels for little bit of AWD traction to improve performance in certain instances?

Many possibilities, but I'd be happy with additional pushrod engine enhancements, lighter weight, and continued improvement in the areas of refinement and overall precision.

-T
Old 10-18-2013, 11:11 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhma
Do I get a trophy?

Ask any non Corvette person to see if they can tell the difference between a C5 or C6 from the rear....

You mad that no one cares about your C6 anymore?
Again with the bashing of any Vette that is not a C7? Find a new tune.....or better yet, get a life.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:23 AM
OneCylinder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'd like to see them get rid of the gawd ugly huge plastic headlights and design something aerodynamic when open and retractable; like Corvette headlights should be.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:49 AM
Dusty Starbucks
Racer

Originally Posted by OneCylinder
I'd like to see them get rid of the gawd ugly huge plastic headlights and design something aerodynamic when open and retractable; like Corvette headlights should be.
Haha! What is it like to be living in the past? I had retractables on my 944T, but that was from 1987! Is there a modern car in all of the free world that has a retractable set of lights? Thank God the design committee didn't even consider that brainstorm, we'd be sitting here wondering who will buy VIN 0012 ?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:21 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike O'Daniel
Maybe it'll have a ******* mode for the driver.
Good idea. I tried that once on the C6 and burnt my lips on the tailpipes.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

They're working on it already...

Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 AM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

As someone else said, taper off towards the rear instead of the sharp and abrupt wedge cut as on C5 - C7. Totally new rear, but not necessarily a return to round lights.

Keep the V8 and rear drive. No hybrid and no AWD.

Reduce the weight a little. Definitely do not let the weight to continue to creep up. Don't get any bigger.

Continue to improve the interior. Keep the LCD display but put back in a real tachometer.

No non functional vents as exist on the non Z51 C7.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:02 AM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmdrwill
GOV. will porb make 50 mpg the standard and the corvette will have a 4cyl turbo, I hope that day will never come.

The best to hope for is a Blown 6cyl.
A 4cyl turbo...

Enjoy your C7 It may be the last V8, sad as It sounds.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:23 AM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Forget the nice hood with dohc engines which would also raise cg and make the car heavier. The alternator idea is great except for the fact that the car would weigh 4400lbs.

Get notified of new replies

To What will a C8 bring vrs a C7!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:25 AM
ALLANB
Pro

I really like the silver concept car so hoping for something like that for the c8. Mid engine maybe . Power of course always keeps going up on each generation.
Already have a lot of very cool electronics in the c7 but guess they can still do more in that area.
We definitely live in interesting times.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:51 PM
OneCylinder
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dusty Starbucks
Haha! What is it like to be living in the past? I had retractables on my 944T, but that was from 1987! Is there a modern car in all of the free world that has a retractable set of lights? Thank God the design committee didn't even consider that brainstorm, we'd be sitting here wondering who will buy VIN 0012 ?
Your problem is you have no vision. You're stuck in the present. The fact is that all the clear plastic on the front of all these so-called "modern" cars and trucks LOOKS LIKE KRAPP! And it's yesterday's technology.

Look inside those plastic covers and you see relatively small headlight lenses. Have them deploy and retract through relatively small opening and closing portals on the front of the body surface like 007 machineguns. That's futuristic.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
C7 101 car
Instructor

Originally Posted by C7 101 car

The best to hope for is a Blown 6cyl.
A 4cyl turbo...

Enjoy your C7 It may be the last V8, sad as It sounds.

Here's the latest....................
Sources at GM have confirmed that there C7's lifespan will only last two to four model years, the outgoing corvette has spanned over eight. So what's the reasoning behind this?
A Chevy insider who worked on the C7's development stated,"We messed up, the C7 simply fails to meet GM's upcoming fuel efficiency standards so all we can do now is come up with some sort of final edition while we simultaneously fast-track the C8's development." This same source at Chevy confirms the car will officially drop the small-block V8 in favor of a new twin-turbo V6. A plug-in extended-range hybrid version is also a possibility. Expect to see the debut of the new C8 as early as next years Detroit Auto Show...

No Turbo or plug-in extended-range hybrid for me.
I guess I will keep my C7

Quick Reply: What will a C8 bring vrs a C7!!!