Porsche owner has test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Anyone that is a Porsche driver and is going to test drive a C7 to see how it feels compared to a Porsche, will walk away unhappy, if they believe the two will feel the same. It just will not happen. The Corvette is a big horsepower big torque front engine rear wheel drive, while the Porsche, is less power in both hp and torques, it has the engine low and hanging off the rear so there is no way in h#ll they will feel the same.

Now if you are looking for overall performance and like to hang the rear out in corners and feel the torque suck you into the seat, then C7 will be the car for that. What it will come down to is what you really want in a car, the two are both sports cars and will handle exception well in the twisty parts of the road and they will both cruise well Then again they are totally different cars as i pointed out above. I for one (and of course I am bias) would pick the C7. But then again a lot of that is based on the cost of the two cars and I thing for the few short comings that there maybe in the C0rvette over the Porsche, i can live with them.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by texvette2
The test will be time. When gm's (not just vettes) roll off the line been fairly good
on some fits. This C7 seems to be proving that wrong for some reason.

But found on many past gm's after rack up mileage and good ole everyday driving
things seem to loosen up and not in a good way. Whereas imports (german) stayed
solid. I've had 4 BMW's and felt solid from day one. Since americans like their
gadgets, us cars have been loaded with them which cause problems. Import were
focused on quality and driving. Now that they have to get into the gadget game,
they are finding similar problems too. Still seems like pulling teeth to get imports
equal, take HUD, vettes like a video game, german will give you the speed and
couple others LOL LOL LOL
In my job, I see EVERY make and model of car. And you could not be MORE wrong. The German cars fall to pieces after racking up 30-50K miles. And they have major problems. Oil leaks, transmission problems, sensors, and the list goes on and on. My 2006 has 23,000 miles and it does not have ONE rattle.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Not sure why I should care what you think of the C7. How you feel does nothing to change my life in any way, shape, manner or form.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

The C7 isn't going to have the quality of the 981. If fit and finish are important then the battle ends there.

But everything else.....jesus.....not even close. The C7 stomps on the 981 in any performance category you want....plus it's a lot more manly.

I'm surprised you'd even be comparing these two really. Seems like very different demographics.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 PM
paracord
Racer

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
My biggest issue with #2 is the overall experience.

1.) When I used to bring my C6 in for service there was someone new working the service counter all of the time. If there was a repeat issue (in my case there was) I always had to re-explain everything that has been done. In my previous experiences (Audi, BMW, etc) I always had 1 service adviser that I worked with regularly and I had a good relationship with. Also, it was a nice sit down environment vs a stand up unorganized environment at the GM dealer.

2.) Second lets talk about loaner cars. I never received a loaner car with my C6. When I had my C6 and it had a late fix (Car was ready at 5:30) they didnt have anyone to pick me I was forced to call a taxi to go get my car. In the (Porsche, Audi, BMW) world there would be no way that I would not have an equivalent car to drive. I have always had loaners and even had a service adviser stay an hour after the dealer closed to ensure I got my car.

In my experiences (I have owned alot of cars) there is no way any GM dealer has a leg up on its competitions service experiences. I recent choose a new Audi over a Caddy for that exact reason.
You're talking about Chevy vs. a luxury brand.

This is one of the reasons you can buy a Corvette and out-perform most other cars out there for what? 70 grand or less?

What do you want? Do you think you are not paying for your concierge service with Porsche, Audi, or BMW? You most certainly are.

Chevy isn't trying to compete with those companies in that way. Most of the cars chevy sells are econo boxes or trucks. Come on now.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Get the one that flips your skirt (get what you want; enjoy what you have).

Well said!! it's all about what floats your boat.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:29 PM
jims mongoose
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally agree --- and

Originally Posted by paracord
You're talking about Chevy vs. a luxury brand.

This is one of the reasons you can buy a Corvette and out-perform most other cars out there for what? 70 grand or less?

What do you want? Do you think you are not paying for your concierge service with Porsche, Audi, or BMW? You most certainly are.

Chevy isn't trying to compete with those companies in that way. Most of the cars chevy sells are econo boxes or trucks. Come on now.
I have to tell you there are some great comments here, most exactly on point in my humble opinion.

Corvette has proven itself on the race track and after driving my sons brand new C7 I can tell you that it is awesome.
You will not get the same buying experience as a high end dealer though our dealer here in Arizona is very good.

The car is far and above my sons C6 Z06. I am not talking performance. Its fit and finish, the looks, tightness. It just feels like a better car.
The C6 is an awesome heritage to come from, with it's performance and racing accomplishments. In order to capture more sports car enthusiasts it had to be much, much more refined and the C7 is all of that.

The handling is what struck me more than straight line performance. I drive a Chevy Camaro 1LE which if anyone knows is quite the handler itself for a Camaro. This C7 is far superior to that.

Great job Chevy.
Now don't blow it on fixing all the little things that come up and they will. Jump on them with both feet. Don't ruin the C7's rep before it gets started.

Jim
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
For me, at this time, Porsche is way out in front of the C7. Porsche sent me, unsolicited, a wall poster/calendar and a felt tip pen. GM has sent me nothing.

I'm on the fence waiting to see what freebies GM sends me, before I make my decision.
Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I'm with you Joe. You can walk into a lot of BMW dealerships and have a pretty decent free breakfast. Croissants and Cappuccino. Try that at a Chevy dealership. Yesterdays coffee and stale Dunkin Donut "holes". Says a lot about the cars.

^ Well, there it is. An excellent summary of buyers level of appreciation of the 'subtle nuances between brands & models available.

Carefully considered test drives - no way. Cost of ownership compros - for the lame. Design styles - who gives a crap. Warranty & Service costs - worry about that later. I'm buying my sports car based upon Croissants, Cappuccinos & Calendars . . . . . omg

Last edited by michaelinmech; 10-18-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:30 PM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
HotHonda Oil service at my Porsche dealer is not $300.00. Also, if you read the 2014 Boxster manual, unless you drive in severe conditions, you are allowed up to 2 years between oil changes.
I don't drive in severe conditions and I don't race so I plan to go the distance but keep an eye on it. I may drive 3 or 4 thousand miles a year. Maybe 5,000.

My Chevrolet dealer sent me a letter when I bought my new 2009 C6 telling me that it was time for the 1,000 mile check up. I had 600 miles on the car. Thay wanted $189.00 to change the oil and check all fluid levels, belts and hoses. He said there could be some metal filings in that engine. I said this sounds like a new car get ready that GM paid you to do 600 miles ago.
The car business never changes folks. People still buy tire and wheel insurance, extended warranties, paint protection and interior protection.

I find that this happens more often at the Chevrolet and Ford dealers.
Was referring to my experience w/the 2013 (mine) 991S in the Seattle area...they don't charge young girls who drive Boxsters that much though.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

HotHonda. I am sure glad to hear that I won't be charged $300.00 for an oil change. Don't look now, but the Boxster and Cayman are great cars at a great price. Do you take your poodle along in your hot Honda?
Old 10-18-2013, 04:46 PM
paracord
Racer

Originally Posted by HotHonda
Was referring to my experience w/the 2013 (mine) 991S in the Seattle area...they don't charge young girls who drive Boxsters that much though.
Wait, you mean men drive Boxsters?

Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Not REAL MEN . . . . . .
Old 10-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I owned a Porsche (model 997 Carrera) for 6 years. It was an outstanding car, and I really enjoyed it. Now I have a C7. Very different car than the Porsche; more comfortable, a better cruiser, way better looking, and much rarer, at least at this point. I personally think you'll be happy with either car, but do recognize they are very different animals.

Choose wisely Grasshopper.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Short Throw Yes you are paying for the upscale dealerships of premium dealers.
Not sure what your point is by feeling the need to justify it. I only said it wasn't free which you agreed. Whether you feel it's worth it or not is simply a personal preference.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:48 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

HotHonda Oil service at my Porsche dealer is not $300.00. Also, if you read the 2014 Boxster manual, unless you drive in severe conditions, you are allowed up to 2 years between oil changes.
I don't drive in severe conditions and I don't race so I plan to go the distance but keep an eye on it. I may drive 3 or 4 thousand miles a year. Maybe 5,000.

My Chevrolet dealer sent me a letter when I bought my new 2009 C6 telling me that it was time for the 1,000 mile check up. I had 600 miles on the car. Thay wanted $189.00 to change the oil and check all fluid levels, belts and hoses. He said there could be some metal filings in that engine. I said this sounds like a new car get ready that GM paid you to do 600 miles ago.
The car business never changes folks. People still buy tire and wheel insurance, extended warranties, paint protection and interior protection.

I find that this happens more often at the Chevrolet and Ford dealers.
I too am cross-shopping a 2014 Stingray Coupe (Z51) and a 2014 Porsche Boxster S.
Insurance is another factor in comparing the overall "cost of ownership"
The insurance premiums my agent quoted me on a 2014 C7 COUPE were about $300 HIGHER per year than a 2014 Boxster S.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:51 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Men like myself here is AZ WHERE THE SUN SHINES 300+ days a year are definitely considering the 2014 "Caymen convertible". Why miss out on 300 days of sun with that confining, fixed roof over your head?

If I happen to choose the Boxster S over the C7 Coupe will I all of a sudden lose a ******** or will my testosterone level suddenly drop or something?
If there are any scientific studies on this please post them.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Jax419
Advanced

Originally Posted by 05dsom
boxster is 981, cayman is 987

No, they are both the same model number

Last generation is 987, new generation is 981

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche owner has test drive

Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bat7Man
What about service cost? I heard that the oil change on the porsche is in the ballpark of $300
$200 (that is what they cost) once a year for someone that can afford either car should be nothing.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

The C7 isn't going to have the quality of the 981. If fit and finish are important then the battle ends there.

But everything else.....jesus.....not even close. The C7 stomps on the 981 in any performance category you want....plus it's a lot more manly.

I'm surprised you'd even be comparing these two really. Seems like very different demographics.
What other NEW open top sports car in the $65- $75k price range would a potential C7 buyer shop? I cannot think of another car, IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE, except the base model Jaguar F-Type.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 10-18-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Just to comment on the above quote and a few other statements made here. I own a 2013 Porsche Boxster S, and have ownd 10 Vettes (from a 92 C4 to a 2010 GS Vert) and have owned everything from Ferraris to you name it when it comes to sports cars.

The C7 will stomp the 981S in acceleration and top speed, but will not match it in handling through the twisties. It is simple physics and engineering. The 981 S is a light mid engine car.

The idea that a Boxster is a chick car is a show of ego and immaturity. Enough said about that.

There are plenty of Chevy dealers that give as good of service in their sales and service departments as do Porsche and BMW dealers. Silverstar Chevy in Westlake Ca. has 3 service writers, and they are as good as any writers for any brand in the country. As are their mechanics.

The idea that the sales departments at Porsche dealers do not push extras on you when you buy a car is simply absurd. Rusnak Porsche in Westlake Village will try to sell you everything including the kitchen sink.
And they charge far more than aftermarket. How about a clear bra for the front bumper for close to 1K!

You will pay close to $300.00 for an oil change at a Porsche dealer (required every 10,000 miles) A chevy dealer will charge one third of that.

Porsche dealers give free loaners and, for the most part, they are Porsches. Chevy dealers will give a free rental car if your Vette is in overnight.

I love driving the Boxster S for I drive a bunch of canyons in So Cal. It is quite quick (0-60 in 4.2) and truly a quality car. I has all of the performance options and window stickered for 84K (I paid 78K). The C7 is a better value than any Porsche. That cannot be disputed.

I will keep my Boxster S for about another 1.5-2 years and then order a C7 Z51 vert. There you have it.

Quick Reply: Porsche owner has test drive