Sponsored by:

Porsche owner has test drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by C7_Stingray
The 981 Boxster with its 3.4 F-6 (not the base Boxster) is thee one to compare to the C7, for me, since it's basically 9/10th of the new 911 for 3/5th the price of a new 911. First of all the $61,850 base price entry point for the Boxster S equates to basically a 2LT Z51/MRC/NPP C7 coupe. The price of the Porsche quickly skyrockets from there on...which is a few strikes for me especially with desirable options like the performance-enhancing extras such as the Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), and the Sport Chrono Package.

I think just on those points alone would dissuade me and would be the major justification to opt for a semi-loaded C7 Z51 coupe which by the way has proven itself already to either equal or even beat out the new 911 Carrera S on some key performance numbers.

Both are very nice cars but, again for me, it'll come down to best bang for the buck. Good luck and have fun with whichever you choose, OP!
I agree with your thinking. The Boxter S/ Cayman S are the best value sports cars Porsche has but when you start piling on the options, it can climb to over $100,000. The 911's are priced out of this world and are a terrible bang for the buck. The C7 is so far ahead of Porsche in the meaningful aspects of a fabulous street car at bargain basement prices, it's not even close. We haven't even seen the Z07 or whatever it's called yet either. Hey if you've got tons of money & a Porsche really rings your bell, by all means go buy one. A vette rings my bell more than a Porsche( I had a new 2003 996TT I drove for 5 years and replaced with a new 08Z. I liked the 08Z better than the 996TT and the vette was HALF the price. I've had my first and last Porsche). I'm an unabashed vette lover( I'm on my 8th, a 10 GS with LPE forged bottom end Maggie 650 supercharger package).
Old 10-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Bat7Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about service cost? I heard that the oil change on the porsche is in the ballpark of $300
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I'm with you Joe. You can walk into a lot of BMW dealerships and have a pretty decent free breakfast. Croissants and Cappuccino. Try that at a Chevy dealership. Yesterdays coffee and stale Dunkin Donut "holes". Says a lot about the cars.
A lot of corporations have tightened their belts in recent years (especially ones coming out of bankruptcy) so for me; I could care less about these things! I have never owned a Vette but have owned several German cars including a BMW M3. To pay half as much for a car that by the numbers is comparable to other sports cars is amazing! That said though I would have to ask myself, "How can GM do that?" I think some of the issues of the new C7's might explain it to me! I do think all first year models have their issues but in my opinion the C7's are still the best bang for the buck! In my mind though, compromises will have to be accepted! Hopefully, when I finally get mine, I won't feel like I have had to make too many!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
I am actually contemplating both as well. The 2 issues that are bothering me are below

1.) Test drive - I live near one of the largest corvette dealers in the US. I inquired about a test drive and was told "We will not allow any test drives, period". This is dis concerning since I can go by the local porsche dealer and take a brand new 911 for a ride without issue.

2.) Service - I had a C6 and to be quite honest the service is no where near the quality of porsche service. Actually, I had a significantly better service experience with my daily driver VW. I can honestly say service is a big factor when spending 70+ on a car.
I am not sure what you mean in #2 above, but if you mean the actual quality of the service itself and not how you were treated or the "experience" of being at the dealer, service dept., service advisor, etc., that's important. If an advisor or manager doesn't understand what you are asking for, doesn't know what the product is, or can't translate that to a tech, that's bad. If the tech can't do it the first time around, whatever the service might be, that's not so good either altho some problems are more difficult to diagnose and fix than others and may require more than one attempt. Or if you keep getting charged for the same thing each time it's not fixed, that's an issue, too. It's all in the definition of "service experience" imo.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:47 AM
gibbyflhx
Advanced

My biggest issue with #2 is the overall experience.

1.) When I used to bring my C6 in for service there was someone new working the service counter all of the time. If there was a repeat issue (in my case there was) I always had to re-explain everything that has been done. In my previous experiences (Audi, BMW, etc) I always had 1 service adviser that I worked with regularly and I had a good relationship with. Also, it was a nice sit down environment vs a stand up unorganized environment at the GM dealer.

2.) Second lets talk about loaner cars. I never received a loaner car with my C6. When I had my C6 and it had a late fix (Car was ready at 5:30) they didnt have anyone to pick me I was forced to call a taxi to go get my car. In the (Porsche, Audi, BMW) world there would be no way that I would not have an equivalent car to drive. I have always had loaners and even had a service adviser stay an hour after the dealer closed to ensure I got my car.

In my experiences (I have owned alot of cars) there is no way any GM dealer has a leg up on its competitions service experiences. I recent choose a new Audi over a Caddy for that exact reason.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by gibbyflhx
I am actually contemplating both as well. The 2 issues that are bothering me are below

1.) Test drive - I live near one of the largest corvette dealers in the US. I inquired about a test drive and was told "We will not allow any test drives, period". This is dis concerning since I can go by the local porsche dealer and take a brand new 911 for a ride without issue.

2.) Service - I had a C6 and to be quite honest the service is no where near the quality of porsche service. Actually, I had a significantly better service experience with my daily driver VW. I can honestly say service is a big factor when spending 70+ on a car.
I agree with both points:

Test Drive: GM should have a loaded launch demo C7 available for certain dealers for test drive. Porsche and other high-end brands been doing this for years. Heck I was able to go to a dealer and drive a 335k McLaren for an hour. If it wasn't for an insistent new C7 owner asking almost begging me to drive his C7 I would still be wondering if I should put a deposit on this car.

Service: My new C7 will not see the dealer unless it has a warrantee issue. All oil service will be done by me or someone I trust not the dealer. This is going to be the biggest problem for GM to get Porsche & BMW drivers into a corvette. I wish Corvette was under Cadillac instead of Chevy. The lack of service and upscale dealer experience will keep 50% of those buyer GM wants away from the new corvette.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Its really simple. No test drive no purchase. The dealers will start to be more open to test drives when the frenzy dies down. They have to move product to stay in business. Tell your dealer that when they are ready to let you test drive the car to give you a call. I do agree with the service aspect. IMO a good service department can make or break your ownership experience. I have seen a few dealers that can't be trusted to do an oil change properly. I tend to test drive the dealership first and if they meet my expectation after some research at that point I would consider buying a car from them. You can buy the car anywhere and even go to a forum dealer that has allocation and can arrange a courtesy delivery. However the buck stops at where you are going to get the car serviced. If you don't have high confidence in the dealer you choose for service I think you would be better off considering another brand. No matter how much you like the car if you can't get it serviced competently the experience will not be positive.
You hit just about every talking point/issue I have.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by taxdr1965
Comparing it to 2013 boxster s. Totally different buying experience. Chevy dealer not so nice. Don't really care about that as hopefully I am not in the dealership a lot. I got the free poster too. Porsche does take care of their customers. The GM quality issues do scare me. I know with porsche it will be quality. I had one issue in 5 years. Price point is about the same since the vette sells at window. You can get an 80k boxster for 70k
Its hard to compare a Porsche roadster to a corvette coupe,but if your willing to compare it to the the cayman...its no contest...Stingray hands down.I have owned my Stingray for 3 days and I am a PCA member,and haven`t had a chance to properly test it,but I could already assure you that this car could only be compared to the 991.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Right now, at the height of the new vette introduction, virtually all arriving cars are pre-ordered, and those that aren't, will sell almost immediately to walk in buyers or people calling dealers for availability, etc. So forget test drives in most cases till things settled down as new buyers do not want their vette being used for test drives.
As to service, yes the BMW/Porsche dealers do tend kiss the --- of the clients more than the Chevy dealers and tend to have more knowledgeable services writers, techs, etc. That said, it isn't true in all cases and some Chevy dealers, like mine, have a great service writer I have seen for years, Tripp Wilson, and a designated corvette mechanic who knows what he's doing at Hendricks City Chevrolet in Charlotte. When I had my 996TT and BMW M5, I had them serviced at Hendricks dealers as well and although they had the coffee and croissants, nicer chairs to sit in and nice loaner cars, the service wasn't any better or worse.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Right now, at the height of the new vette introduction, virtually all arriving cars are pre-ordered, and those that aren't, will sell almost immediately to walk in buyers or people calling dealers for availability, etc. So forget test drives in most cases till things settled down as new buyers do not want their vette being used for test drives.
As to service, yes the BMW/Porsche dealers do tend kiss the --- of the clients more than the Chevy dealers and tend to have more knowledgeable services writers, techs, etc. That said, it isn't true in all cases and some Chevy dealers, like mine, have a great service writer I have seen for years, Tripp Wilson, and a designated corvette mechanic who knows what he's doing at Hendricks City Chevrolet in Charlotte. When I had my 996TT and BMW M5, I had them serviced at Hendricks dealers as well and although they had the coffee and croissants, nicer chairs to sit in and nice loaner cars, the service wasn't any better or worse.
Hey used to work there in the 60's there corvette tech Robert and I use to belong to the Queen City Corvette club. They had a very good service dept. back then.
z51vett
Doug
Old 10-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Seapar
Racer

Going to the seattle auto show today to see my 2nd C7; saw one pre delivery a week ago.
ordered mine in early sept after selling my 2009 911 C4s pdk with 32K miles (bought used 3 yrs ago). Saturday going to the track (10th day this season) with my 07 GT3 911 (2007) bought 15 months ago with 10K miles. The gt3 is special and the 911 I will keep. A few track days with the C7 manual, Z51, MRC, NPP when it arrives (waiting for TPW).
Feel fortunate to be driving (soon I hope) a corvette and a porsche. Wife loves her manual 05 Boxster BTW.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut12
Really can not go wrong with either of those. Are you talking Boxster or Cayman and are you looking at the "S" model??
boxster is 981, cayman is 987
Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
I'm with you Joe. You can walk into a lot of BMW dealerships and have a pretty decent free breakfast. Croissants and Cappuccino. Try that at a Chevy dealership. Yesterdays coffee and stale Dunkin Donut "holes". Says a lot about the cars.
No doubt there are too many aging GM dealerships that need updating. I've owned a variety of different manufacturers and some locations had small movie theaters and private business offices while my car was in service -- this is very welcoming but remember, it's not free, you are paying for it, it's just not itemized.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
HotHonda
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bat7Man
What about service cost? I heard that the oil change on the porsche is in the ballpark of $300
For the most part correct. Independent shops around $200 & DIY around $100 buying supplies at competitive prices.

Not for the faint of heart!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Short Throw Yes you are paying for the upscale dealerships of premium dealers. I would rather pay for that then pay $2,000 for paint protection at the Chevrolet dealer. I have lot's of experience with Corvette, Cadillac, BMW, and this year I bought a 2014 Boxster and this week a 2013 Lincoln MKZ. Neither the Lincoln dealer or the Porsche dealer tried to sell me anything at closing.
Believe me there is a huge difference between premium brand dealerships sales tactics and service and Chevrolet which has never been referred to as a "premium" brand.

I had a 2012 BMW Z4 and now a 2014 Porsche Boxster and I have never been treated better by any dealer than BMW and Porsche.

By the way. A little of topic but worth mentioning.

I had a 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium model. Wanting to look at the new CTS this fall. My CTS listed for $50,545.00 in 2010. The new CTS Premium model lists for $67,400. The Lincoln MKZ has every feature as the new CTS. No incentives on the CTS. 12% off on the MKZ plus 4 years full maintenance.

General Motors is in my past for sure.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
Short Throw Yes you are paying for the upscale dealerships of premium dealers. I would rather pay for that then pay $2,000 for paint protection at the Chevrolet dealer. I have lot's of experience with Corvette, Cadillac, BMW, and this year I bought a 2014 Boxster and this week a 2013 Lincoln MKZ. Neither the Lincoln dealer or the Porsche dealer tried to sell me anything at closing.
Believe me there is a huge difference between premium brand dealerships sales tactics and service and Chevrolet which has never been referred to as a "premium" brand.

I had a 2012 BMW Z4 and now a 2014 Porsche Boxster and I have never been treated better by any dealer than BMW and Porsche.

By the way. A little of topic but worth mentioning.

I had a 2010 Cadillac CTS Premium model. Wanting to look at the new CTS this fall. My CTS listed for $50,545.00 in 2010. The new CTS Premium model lists for $67,400. The Lincoln MKZ has every feature as the new CTS. No incentives on the CTS. 12% off on the MKZ plus 4 years full maintenance.

General Motors is in my past for sure.
Good points. I hope Chevy Cust Svc forwards this information up the food chain.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

HotHonda Oil service at my Porsche dealer is not $300.00. Also, if you read the 2014 Boxster manual, unless you drive in severe conditions, you are allowed up to 2 years between oil changes.
I don't drive in severe conditions and I don't race so I plan to go the distance but keep an eye on it. I may drive 3 or 4 thousand miles a year. Maybe 5,000.

My Chevrolet dealer sent me a letter when I bought my new 2009 C6 telling me that it was time for the 1,000 mile check up. I had 600 miles on the car. Thay wanted $189.00 to change the oil and check all fluid levels, belts and hoses. He said there could be some metal filings in that engine. I said this sounds like a new car get ready that GM paid you to do 600 miles ago.
The car business never changes folks. People still buy tire and wheel insurance, extended warranties, paint protection and interior protection.

I find that this happens more often at the Chevrolet and Ford dealers.

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche owner has test drive

Old 10-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

b4i4getit I forgot (LOL) to state that the MKZ listed for $48,700. A far cry from $67,400.
The luxury model CTS listed at $60,000 and would have worked as I don't need heads up etc. Also, I don't was the Cadillac CUE system. I have used it.Still I bought the MKZ for around $42,500. I also priced the new Buick LaCross. $48,000. GM prices are up a great deal on all of their new models.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
b4i4getit I forgot (LOL) to state that the MKZ listed for $48,700. A far cry from $67,400.
The luxury model CTS listed at $60,000 and would have worked as I don't need heads up etc. Also, I don't was the Cadillac CUE system. I have used it.Still I bought the MKZ for around $42,500. I also priced the new Buick LaCross. $48,000. GM prices are up a great deal on all of their new models.

:tro ll:t roll
Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

lavender---Everybody on this forum is a troll. They read threads and jump in when they have something to say. Is that trolling or not?

Quick Reply: Porsche owner has test drive