Big Top Gt
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by harlold
roping off a $60,000 car

lol
That's always been my favorite part.

You can go jump in a loaded 3500 dually, diesel, Allison, etc... and it'll be MORE than the Vette, but you can drive it over the curb if you want.

Go drive a $55k Vette and they act like you asked to take the Mona Lisa to a diner for a date.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
Fixed.

Ridiculous. I could see if you were a 16 year old kid, but come on... A grown @$$ man coming in to buy a hot new car...

I'll never understand it.
Most dealer provide nothing of value in buying a car.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 AM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
I do understand why the dealer does this.
When I go to buy a new car,the first thing I do is to bury my nose as deep as I can into the drivers seat cushion. If I even get one whiff of ***,I am out of there and never coming back.
I'll pay you to "test" my C7 Z51 for..... *** crack residue..... when it shows up at the dealer

I don't want customers sitting in my sold order either.....

........that includes kids with gum

.....and the guy with the tool belt.....and the scratchy keys on the pants loop

....and all others

.....including the chick with hair dye that hasn't quite set in yet.....

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 10-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:48 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

There are dealers that want to sell cars and there are dealers that like to keep them as museum pieces. Only one will survive and prosper.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its easy to envision a scenario where this dealer talked a customer into letting him keep his car to show on the floor and the customer (maybe a very important customer to the dealership) says ok as long as you keep it roped off.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

If the car wasn't sold as you said, I think I would have got belligerent with them and asked specifically why I couldn't sit in it. I have no tolerance for tactics. They certainly would have acquiesced once you pushed them. I have asked salesman "so you don't want to sell a car?". That usually gets their attention.
After, since they weren't being nice, I would have insisted on a test drive too. When I test drove my Vette, the sales lady (who was awesome, by the way) explained that we should keep it short in case I didn't want it to keep the miles low for others. I totally got that and did as instructed. There are ways to deal with a-holes like you encountered. Leaving just proves to them you were a tire kicker and not a serious buyer.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
aerocombatpilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomsZ06
Got out of work a little early today so I decided to visit one of our local Chevy dealers in the Tampa Bay area. I park my Z right outside the showroom and proceed to walk in the front doors of the showroom. Long and behold there is a yellow Stingray right in the middle of the showroom. What I thought was so unusual was that the car was surrounded by thick 2 inch diameter felt rope supported by a vertical 4 foot high post. They had it about 4 feet away from the car to the point you could not even take a peak inside. I salesman immediately approached me and asked if I needed any help. I told him I would like to sit in it. His answer to me was that I would not be allowed to sit in it. I thought I was mistaken as to what he said so I asked him to please repeat what he just said. I did get the same answer. I then started to walk out of the showroom in total misbelief while he chased me down getting into my car! I did like the car but would never ever set foot back in that dealership again.
Which dealer was it? I live in Tampa bay also.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by TomsZ06
...salesman immediately approached me and asked if I needed any help. I told him I would like to sit in it. His answer to me was that I would not be allowed to sit in it.
I'd have replied, "Too bad how sad I cannot buy this one or any other from your dealership. Thanks!"
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

When I go to buy a new car,the first thing I do is to bury my nose as deep as I can into the drivers seat cushion. If I even get one whiff of ***,I am out of there and never coming back.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I bet the sales staff gets a good laugh watching you.............
Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Pretty clear as I read it that he turned and walked away immediately.
Didn't seem that way to me.
His answer to me was that I would not be allowed to sit in it. I thought I was mistaken as to what he said so I asked him to please repeat what he just said. I did get the same answer. I then started to walk out of the showroom in total misbelief while he chased me down getting into my car! I did like the car but would never ever set foot back in that dealership again.
If the car was sold, it would have been just as easy for the salesman to explain to the OP that this was the case, the first time. The salesman was given a second chance to clarify this, yet he did not.
Salesman should have been more accomodating. In roughly the same amount of time to answer both questions twice, he could just as easily have said something like: "Sorry, but this car is already sold. If you like, I can open the door so you can have a look inside." Or "If you leave your number, we'll get back to you as soon as another one arrives."
End result is that it looks like they lost a customer, and it easily didn't have to be that way.

Originally Posted by mdmorgansr
They had it ropped off? It's a Corvette for crying out loud. It's not like its a $250k McLaren or Lambo.
Meanwhile, over at the McLaren dealership...

Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Guibo
Meanwhile, over at the McLaren dealership...

...nobody is there at all...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 1,024 Likes on 528 Posts
Tech Contributor

I it was not sold, then the sales guy is an idiot.....that simple...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glen e
I it was not sold, then the sales guy is an idiot.....that simple...
If it is on the sales room floor, it wasn't just a salesman who had it roped off.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
...nobody is there at all...
Picture could have been taken in the wee hours of the morning. How about now?

By its nature, there is going to be less showroom traffic for a $250k car.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

One interesting point in the photo above (besides not being roped off), they guy with his flannel (?) shirt and jeans (and what looks to be, perhaps, blue-collar work boots) is getting sales attention. I've seen people who don't look like they have enough to purchase the car they are looking at get ignored by sales staff.

Of course, I don't know what he drove up in... LOL... and they probably do.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
eshuber
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience with Chevrolet sales people here in Austin is awful. Now if you buy a Porsche , that's the way it should be. The dealer threw me the keys to a new 911 and said: "Take it for for the weekend for a test drive"(without finger printing etc). Of course I ended up buying one.

Get notified of new replies

To How Not to Sell a Car

Old 10-17-2013, 01:19 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Picture could have been taken in the wee hours of the morning. How about now?

By its nature, there is going to be less showroom traffic for a $250k car.
Most of those places they take a look at you at the locked entrance door and ask if you have an appointment.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Seems like pretty basic Sales 101 type stuff.

Even if it's not the salesman who decides to rope the car off, he is in a position to find out why it's roped off. When given the second chance to explain, he should have at least said something like "Honestly, I don't know myself why, but if you wait just a second, I'll find the answer for you."
Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=BlueOx;1585195295]Ropes!!! It was roped off!!![/QUOTE

The car I got to sit in was not roped off and was sold about two hours after I sat in it! Lucky me! But, several customer cars in the showroom were with big "Do Not Touch" signs in their windows! I think in this situation it was probably a customer and the sales guy either didn't understand the ropes or more likely was just blowing smoke!

Quick Reply: How Not to Sell a Car