Sponsored by:

Need help with C7 Fueling Issue and Fuel / Gas Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need help with C7 Fueling Issue and Fuel / Gas Gauge Problem

I just picked up my Z51 Coupe at the Museum on Monday (10/14) - great experience. But then . . .

We trailered the car home to central Florida on Tuesday and I made one short trip (5-10 miles in it).

Later that night I started setting up the radio pre-sets, messing with the views in the display, etc. while in the garage and then noticed when I was viewing some of the “trip” and “fuel” info all of a sudden my gas gauge went from about a quarter of a tank down to zero. The needle just dropped. It then stayed at zero while I tried to go back to different views (thinking I had done something wrong). Then I turned the car off and back on thinking it maybe just needed to reset itself - - but it stayed at zero and the “fuel range” reading (or “miles remaining” or the like – I can’t remember the exact words right now) was just dashed lines “----“.

Tried a few more times shutting the car off and then back on, but still nothing.

I remembered during the tour they said there was usually only about 3 gallons of gas in the car from the factory, so I thought maybe I just needed to fill the car up.

Went to the gas station and started to fuel up. I only got about 1.5 gallons in when it shut off and wouldn’t take any more. When I tried to keep filling it just would overflow so I had to stop. I know I had the nozzle in all the way (knowing with the capless system you have to get it past the second flap). Because gas got on the car I wanted to leave and get back to the house to wash it off immediately. I did that and then read the owner’s manual about fueling. I don’t see anything I did wrong. And, the gas gauge still reads zero with “fuel range" or whatever still showing “---“. It’s like the car thinks it has no fuel but it won't take any either.

So, I drove back to the gas station again, tried a different pump and same result - - I couldn’t get it to take any gas (not even a little) and my gauge still reads zero. I don’t know what to do. I have no idea how much gas is in the car and don't want to run out if I have to take it to a dealer (which I'm always scared to do, especially with a new model).

Any recommendations??

Thank you for your help.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Dream C-5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a Chevy dealer.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette
I just picked up my Z51 Coupe at the Museum on Monday (10/14) - great experience. But then . . .

We trailered the car home to central Florida on Tuesday and I made one short trip (5-10 miles in it).

Later that night I started setting up the radio pre-sets, messing with the views in the display, etc. while in the garage and then noticed when I was viewing some of the “trip” and “fuel” info all of a sudden my gas gauge went from about a quarter of a tank down to zero. The needle just dropped. It then stayed at zero while I tried to go back to different views (thinking I had done something wrong). Then I turned the car off and back on thinking it maybe just needed to reset itself - - but it stayed at zero and the “fuel range” reading (or “miles remaining” or the like – I can’t remember the exact words right now) was just dashed lines “----“.

Tried a few more times shutting the car off and then back on, but still nothing.

I remembered during the tour they said there was usually only about 3 gallons of gas in the car from the factory, so I thought maybe I just needed to fill the car up.

Went to the gas station and started to fuel up. I only got about 1.5 gallons in when it shut off and wouldn’t take any more. When I tried to keep filling it just would overflow so I had to stop. I know I had the nozzle in all the way (knowing with the capless system you have to get it past the second flap). Because gas got on the car I wanted to leave and get back to the house to wash it off immediately. I did that and then read the owner’s manual about fueling. I don’t see anything I did wrong. And, the gas gauge still reads zero with “fuel range" or whatever still showing “---“. It’s like the car thinks it has no fuel but it won't take any either.

So, I drove back to the gas station again, tried a different pump and same result - - I couldn’t get it to take any gas (not even a little) and my gauge still reads zero. I don’t know what to do. I have no idea how much gas is in the car and don't want to run out if I have to take it to a dealer (which I'm always scared to do, especially with a new model).

Any recommendations??

Thank you for your help.
First, yes at the museum delivery, or from the dealer for that matter, you get a full tank of gas. Since you trailer-ed it home, you didn't use any. Then you dove it 5-10 miles. Yes it wouldn't take more than a gallon of gas, or so.

This has nothing to do with filling the car, or the capless fuel filler. It's in the fuel gauge not getting a reading. It could be a computer problem or gas gauge sending unit.

You need to take it to a dealer to diagnose. You haven't done anything wrong. Get it checked and let us know what they find. It is helpful to everyone on the forum.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Speedlink - thank you. I hope that is the case - that the Museum filled the tank. I just sent them a message to see if they can confirm. At least that would put to rest my fear of running out of gas right away. While I will still have the gauge issue, at least I will know it has fuel (although I don't remember the gauge saying anything more than 1/4 of a tank when I was in the car - - but maybe that is b/c something is wrong with it).

Appreciate all the help from the Forum.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:00 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

This a known issue with C5 and the C6. I was hoping they got it right with the C7. Let us know what the dealer finds regarding the gas gauge sensors. Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:06 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Y2K+1 Vette
Speedlink - thank you. I hope that is the case - that the Museum filled the tank. I just sent them a message to see if they can confirm. At least that would put to rest my fear of running out of gas right away. While I will still have the gauge issue, at least I will know it has fuel (although I don't remember the gauge saying anything more than 1/4 of a tank when I was in the car - - but maybe that is b/c something is wrong with it).

Appreciate all the help from the Forum.
You are welcome. Before the car gets to the museum, it is given to the chevy dealer near the museum. They do a PDI and fill the tank. Then it is given to the museum for them to do there PDI and incredible delivery of this great car.

Don't worry about the gas. It's full. Just let the dealer check it out.

Let us know how it is resolved.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
OddJob1971
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Give Stingray Chevy a call and take it to them to check it out. Those guys really know corvettes and they will take care of you.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Y2K+1 Vette
Instructor

Thanks guys. The Museum did say it should have had a full tank of gas in it so that makes me feel better. On the gauge reading I will give it a day or so then may take OddJob1971's recommendation on where to take it. I just don't trust many dealers.

Appreciate any and all info.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:38 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Agree with the above. I did museum delivery too. They fill your car up. The factory only puts a few gallons in it.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by direct007
This a known issue with C5 and the C6. I was hoping they got it right with the C7.
Yup. Known issue. Just replaced my C6's fuel sensor 2 months ago. Guess they stuck with the same supplier.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Raiderh20boy
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 191 Posts

I remember somewhere about the guage reading differently but I don't remember the specifics. No F or E or something maybe reading opposite directions?? Maybe I shouldn't have even started this because I"M NOT SURE WHAT I READ!!!! Still recovering from surgery and maybe I was dreaming
Old 10-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Wagon Master
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will not make you feel any better but my Cadillac Escalade did the same thing last week during a 1400 mile trip. Just driving along the three dashes showed up and the needle went down to zero fuel. Escalade is a 2009. Stopped for fuel, shut the car off then back on after fueling, still on zero. Then about 100 miles down the road the needle jumped up and the dashes in the mileage range went away and it posted 436 miles which was a normal reading. So I am looking forward to what you find out.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

One other thought. This has worked for various types of problems on C6's.

Try disconnecting the negative clamp on the battery for about 5 minutes. Hook it back up. Start the car. See if that corrects the problem. It may not, but it won't hurt. Sometimes it will reset the various computers in the car. Kind of like rebooting your computer.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope he gets it fixed without a sensor replacement. I saw a thread earlier about another car with a bad sensor and it's major surgery to get the tank out for replacement.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yours is the second I've read about on this forum. With the other car, it was discovered during the PDI by the dealer and they had in on the rack repairing it when the new owner(from out of state) showed up to claim the car. The dealer replaced the sender, as I understand and took care of the expenses incurred by the new owner from having to stay overnight in Kansas City..
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
First, yes at the museum delivery, or from the dealer for that matter, you get a full tank of gas. Since you trailer-ed it home, you didn't use any. Then you dove it 5-10 miles. Yes it wouldn't take more than a gallon of gas, or so.

This has nothing to do with filling the car, or the capless fuel filler. It's in the fuel gauge not getting a reading. It could be a computer problem or gas gauge sending unit.

You need to take it to a dealer to diagnose. You haven't done anything wrong. Get it checked and let us know what they find. It is helpful to everyone on the forum.

From a person that works on cars, I'd say it is a grounding issue, most likely in the sending unit or Module, could be as simple as a loose grounding connection.
Dealer should fix it quick and easy.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:08 PM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
You are welcome. Before the car gets to the museum, it is given to the chevy dealer near the museum. They do a PDI and fill the tank. Then it is given to the museum for them to do there PDI and incredible delivery of this great car.

Don't worry about the gas. It's full. Just let the dealer check it out.

Let us know how it is resolved.
Just to let you know when you do the museum delivery the corvette no longer goes to a Chevrolet dealer for PDI. The museum does all the PDI themselves now at the museum.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with C7 Fueling Issue and Fuel / Gas Gauge Problem

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM
DXBvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it
Old 10-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Hook the scan tool up and clear the code it set. The gauge should strat working.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

You probably have a full tank. I would take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Need help with C7 Fueling Issue and Fuel / Gas Gauge Problem