Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 AM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
iPhone 5 may be the most popular piece of hardware, but iOS is far behind in popularity over Android. In fact, Android carries well over 50% of the phone market at the moment. And with premium phones like the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One gaining lots of traction, the iOS isn't going to get any more popular with anything note worthy.
You can't really look at Android marketshare (which is enormous) as homogenous.

Apple has very high adoption rates:

And US web traffic by iPhone 5 Models is 40%:

This makes sense on a few levels because:
1) iOS is only 32% of the market.
2) iOS requires developers to write for a 2nd set of standards to support a single device.
3) The majority of cars produced will likely be driven by those that cannot afford expensive cars. Therefore, the code they write for this will be more useful in the short run for cars marketed (most often) to Android users. (Statistically, iPhone users are more likely to spend more money.)
I'd argue that among the segment of people who can afford a 60-70k two seat car these stats would change dramatically - which is your last point.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

iPhone 5 may be the most popular piece of hardware, but iOS is far behind in popularity over Android. In fact, Android carries well over 50% of the phone market at the moment. And with premium phones like the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One gaining lots of traction, the iOS isn't going to get any more popular with anything note worthy.

Yeah, mine works flawlessly now too. HTC put out an update not too long after I got my car that fixed every compatibility issue I had with my phone/car pairing. Even my contacts pictures come up in the DIC when they call (or I call them).

I don't think you understand the marriage between hardware and software. In the old days, your software had to be compatible with your hardware and everything was very specific. These days, that's simply not the case. The OS acts as a wrapper interface for the hardware. Meaning, if your OS keeps to standards, then interfacing should be seamless.

Also, I should note that iOS is anything but standards friendly. Apple has gone out of their way to write their own standards for their devices, rather than sticking to the laid out standards accepted by all other phone manufacturers. Hence, Apple devices don't play well with anything DLNA and why you must plug an iPhone in via USB to get any real features out if it when you're mixing non-Apple products. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Google continue to support all the latest globally accepted standards.

So the reality is that manufacturers that are creating devices that rely on Bluetooth connectivity to smart devices should actually first make the device compatible with non-iOS devices and THEN worry about iOS...

This makes sense on a few levels because:
2) iOS requires developers to write for a 2nd set of standards to support a single device.
3) The majority of cars produced will likely be driven by those that cannot afford expensive cars. Therefore, the code they write for this will be more useful in the short run for cars marketed (most often) to Android users. (Statistically, iPhone users are more likely to spend more money.)
SCM, as a software developer, let me explain to you why many of these points are incorrect.

You are pulling global market share numbers which isn't relevant. GM's market is mainly US based, and iOS is strongest in that market. The correct numbers to use for GM's target market would be 44% iOS vs 50% Android. Since GM's target market is the US customer base, all my following numbers are for the US (not global).

This is correct, however, the opposite isn't true. Writing to the "standard" bluetooth stack won't support everything not apple. Written more accurately, would be "Writing for the apple standard makes them compatible with 44% of the target market". As you yourself have found, writing for the bluetooth stack doesn't get you 100% of the "other" category. It will get you SOME if it. Android as a platform is fragmented. A few dozen different "popular" devices, each running various versions of the OS, many of which are unable to be upgraded, with varying different hardware specs and implementations, including (but far from limited to) 3-4 different bluetooth transceivers, each with their own set of limitations and bugs.

The first sentence is true, and a verifiable fact. The second sentence is opinion, unverifiable, and likely wrong. You don't just write "Android", you write for "Android running version x of the OS, using hardware y", because each of them has their own issues. That is what is called fragmentation.

You can write once, and capture 44% of the market (iOS).
You can write 6 different code paths, each of which has conditionals to handle quirkiness to handle another 50% of the market (Android).
Additionally, one of the android paths will likely need very little modification to work with the remaining 6% (Windows, etc.).

Now on to more general analytics:
iOS is the single largest platform to develop for, hands down. It's not even close.
Android is fragmented, so while a 50% number looks nice, for developmental reasons, you would need to break that down into different brackets. ** Edited, see following message for more accurate breakdown **

Smartphone Usage:
iOS is more heavily used as a smartphone than android. There are many android devices that aren't smartphones, or the hardware is simply so bad that users don't use them for anything more than just a dumb phone. This is a FACT. Of US based traffic, you are more than twice as likely to see an iOS device (62%) as you are an android device (31%). See here for one reference: http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile+ta...-201301-201401

If you are developing an "app", then you will get ~3-5 times more downloads if it is developed on the iOS platform than if it is written for Android, and if it is a non-free app, then that number jumps to ~10-12 times more.

Generally:
It has been, and still is, better for software developers to target iOS first even on a global scale, and it is even more pronounced in the US. That includes in-car development efforts.

I hope this helps you understand the WHY. Like it or not, that is how things are.

My personal opinion:
iOS is still a much more refined OS than android. Android has some very nice features, and with so many different versions available, you can often find hardware that is more tailored to an individuals desires. Often times, many of the Android apps in and of themselves are equal and sometimes better than their iOS counterparts, however, they often also don't work well together, and the OS still feels like a bunch of really good pieces held together by spit and wire. That will (may) change, but that day isn't today and it would require a significant effort that I just don't see happening.

Last edited by KingMotley; 02-12-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Since onthebottom was nice enough to include current android OS versions, the landscape looks more like this:

iOS - 44%
Android (2.2) - 0.65% (1.3% of 50%)
Android (2.3) - 10% (20% of 50%)
Android (3.2) - 0.05% (0.1% of 50%)
Android (4.0.x) - 8.05% (16.1% of 50%)
Android (4.1) - 17.75% (35.5% of 50%)
Android (4.2) - 8.15% (16.3% of 50%)
Android (4.3) - 4.45% (8.9% of 50%)
Android (4.4) - 0.9% (1.8% of 50%)
Windows - 6%

And each of those Android versions will be MUCH more complicated than either the iOS or Windows code paths because of the varying hardware underneath them.

The above, sorted by popularity:
iOS - 44%
Android (4.1) - 17.75% (35.5% of 50%)
Android (4.2) - 8.15% (16.3% of 50%)
Android (4.0.x) - 8.05% (16.1% of 50%)
Android (2.3) - 10% (20% of 50%)
Windows - 6%
Android (4.3) - 4.45% (8.9% of 50%)
Android (4.4) - 0.9% (1.8% of 50%)
Android (2.2) - 0.65% (1.3% of 50%)
Android (3.2) - 0.05% (0.1% of 50%)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onthebottom
You can't really look at Android marketshare (which is enormous) as homogenous.

Apple has very high adoption rates:

And US web traffic by iPhone 5 Models is 40%:

I'd argue that among the segment of people who can afford a 60-70k two seat car these stats would change dramatically - which is your last point.
Web traffic stats don't matter when we're not talking about web traffic. We're talking about phone->car interfaces. It doesn't matter how the phone is used. It matters how many of them there are and what version of the OS is on them. What you're stating has nothing to do with someone getting in the car and driving.

Adoption rates may apply here, but trend numbers are always behind for things like this. Wait until the end of this year and we'll know. But in the mean time, Androids rule this market.

Originally Posted by KingMotley
SCM, as a software developer, let me explain to you why many of these points are incorrect.

You are pulling global market share numbers which isn't relevant. GM's market is mainly US based, and iOS is strongest in that market. The correct numbers to use for GM's target market would be 44% iOS vs 50% Android. Since GM's target market is the US customer base, all my following numbers are for the US (not global).
I'm a software developer and I can tell you with 100% confidence that GM doesn't develop software for 1 car at a time. A 60-70K two seater car is going to use the same software foundation as all the rest of the cars of the same generation. They just get a skin update depending on the brand and model. So when they develop something like this, they're not developing with the mindset that they're going to get mostly people that WANT to spend lots of money on a car. They're going into it thinking that they need write this software once to be used more than once. No developer (or employer) wants to spend the time and money to do something twice. This is especially obvious when GM uses the exact same engine/transmission platforms throughout multiple models.

So, this is why I use the GLOBAL numbers. GM may make mostly for the US, but they sell cars in many other countries too.

This is correct, however, the opposite isn't true. Writing to the "standard" bluetooth stack won't support everything not apple. Written more accurately, would be "Writing for the apple standard makes them compatible with 44% of the target market". As you yourself have found, writing for the bluetooth stack doesn't get you 100% of the "other" category. It will get you SOME if it. Android as a platform is fragmented. A few dozen different "popular" devices, each running various versions of the OS, many of which are unable to be upgraded, with varying different hardware specs and implementations, including (but far from limited to) 3-4 different bluetooth transceivers, each with their own set of limitations and bugs.
Here's the problem with this statement. I already know you don't know about the changes that have been made to the Android OS since 4.0.

Firstly, NO phones in the last year have been sold with an Android version less than 4.0. And phones sold within the last 2 years have been upgraded to 4.0.

Secondly, the reason this is important is because Android 4+ BT wrappers are not fragmented. The way it works now is that the manufacturer needs to make their radios conform to the correct wrapper APIs. Meaning, the kernel must bend for the OS, and not the other way around. That's one of the ways that Google solved the fragmentation problem.

That's why my Android phone properly works with my 2014 Stingray over bluetooth in ways that Apple devices cannot. That's proof, not just hearsay.

The first sentence is true, and a verifiable fact. The second sentence is opinion, unverifiable, and likely wrong. You don't just write "Android", you write for "Android running version x of the OS, using hardware y", because each of them has their own issues. That is what is called fragmentation.
Read above. Manufactures don't deal with fragmentation anymore. The ability to develop their radios and kernels to Google specs is on them. If they can't get it right, it's a matter of the manufacturer releasing a fix for it (which will likely be just a radio firmware image).

You can write once, and capture 44% of the market (iOS).
You can write 6 different code paths, each of which has conditionals to handle quirkiness to handle another 50% of the market (Android).
Additionally, one of the android paths will likely need very little modification to work with the remaining 6% (Windows, etc.).
Again, this is wrong. It's a myth about Apple vs. Android OSs. Maybe back in the day when people were on Gingerbread, that may have been a truth, but now it's not. And no manufacturers sell anything with gingerbread except for Parrot. And they do that for the simple fact that their Android based OS is hardly Android anymore.

Expecting software issue because someone is on Android 2.3 or older is like expecting software issues because someone is on an iPhone 3. I know how completely incompatible with virtually everything the iPhone 3's were.

Android 4+ sticks to the BT standards very closely which is why my BT streaming works very well. And even on my gingerbread phones, I never had any issues (since they were all Nexus devices).

Now on to more general analytics:
iOS is the single largest platform to develop for, hands down. It's not even close.
Android is fragmented, so while a 50% number looks nice, for developmental reasons, you would need to break that down into different brackets. ** Edited, see following message for more accurate breakdown **
Looking at the numbers you posted, 49.3% of the devices (which are android) are held to strict BT standards and 39.3% are without any fragmentation issues. This does not include the Android 3.x stuff because Android 3 was reserved for tablets.

Still, Android holds a LARGER portion of the market as far as what standard to code to if you're only going to code once.

I'd say that 49.3% > 44%. Wouldn't you agree?

That's only accounting for Android. Windows Phone is held to the exact same BT standards that Android is held to. That means that there's an additional 6% to help sway this argument. So, lets say for the sake of numbers that we're only including non-fragmented Android OS phones and Windows phones... 45.3% (still greater than 44%) are to BT standards.

So GM had the choice to develop for Windows Phone, Blackberry and modern (2011+) Android devices for just one standard than to code for iOS which will hold less than half their demographic. It may even be LESS than half their demographic since the majority of the cars GM sells are under $40K, vs. a premium car maker (say Mercedes or BMW) might target.

If you want to draw up some numbers how what percentage of cars GM sells goes to people making less than $45K/yr, I might be inclined to believe that their target market is iOS users, of course pending that the numbers show something substantial.

In the meantime, I'm going to disagree with your assesment.

Smartphone Usage:
iOS is more heavily used as a smartphone than android. There are many android devices that aren't smartphones, or the hardware is simply so bad that users don't use them for anything more than just a dumb phone. This is a FACT. Of US based traffic, you are more than twice as likely to see an iOS device (62%) as you are an android device (31%). See here for one reference: http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile+ta...-201301-201401

If you are developing an "app", then you will get ~3-5 times more downloads if it is developed on the iOS platform than if it is written for Android, and if it is a non-free app, then that number jumps to ~10-12 times more.

Generally:
It has been, and still is, better for software developers to target iOS first even on a global scale, and it is even more pronounced in the US. That includes in-car development efforts.

I hope this helps you understand the WHY. Like it or not, that is how things are.

My personal opinion:
iOS is still a much more refined OS than android. Android has some very nice features, and with so many different versions available, you can often find hardware that is more tailored to an individuals desires. Often times, many of the Android apps in and of themselves are equal and sometimes better than their iOS counterparts, however, they often also don't work well together, and the OS still feels like a bunch of really good pieces held together by spit and wire. That will (may) change, but that day isn't today and it would require a significant effort that I just don't see happening.
Personal opinions as to what OS is better is completely irrelevant here. Your opinion won't affect the way the numbers sway one way or another.

As for the Android phones being used as "dumb" phones is actually making my case. If they just use it as a phone, then it's even more important that the device in the car works correctly with the standards laid out. However, it seems to me that your point is just pushing an opinion that "androids are crap", to put it lightly. And again, your opinion doesn't matter for this discussion. I can discuss the pros & cons with you about both OSs if you'd like in an off-topic thread, but in this thread, what matters is that we're talking about new cars with new technology connecting properly to phones we can only assume were made in this decade.

You can go by your numbers if you'd like, but they're obviously not all the numbers and you're missing a lot of facts that you're filling in with guessing. And to show you I'm not biased, while I've personally only owned Android and Symbian devices, I pointed my mother in the direction of getting an iPhone because they [were] simpler to use back then.

On a side note, the BT standards for my mother's iPhone 3s was so bad, she had non-stop connection issues with it and her Infiniti M35. I connected my Nexus One to her car and had no troubles. She had both the BT module in the car replaced and had her phone replaced. Neither fixed the problem. When she switched to an HTC Android phone, the problems she had went away. While she liked the interface of the iPhone more, she had FAR less compatibility issues with her Android phone, including her laptop and car.

So, once again, this isn't just hearsay, it's personal experience.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 02-12-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Standards...

Old 02-12-2014, 06:30 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
IF you plug it in VIA USB, it's USB only
Ok, I will try to summarize this quickly and accurately...or at least accurately...

If you are plugged in by USB, it is accessing the phone on a 2 way connection, allowing info to both come and go from the phone, so you can control things like music on your phone with the voice commands in the Mylink system. If you are wirelessly connected by BT, it is a one way connection(phone to car), so you cannot use the voice commands to access music, etc on your phone with Mylink, although the phone will still share it's contact list and call history with Mylink, so that you can access that with voice commands.

With the C7, most new Cadillacs and the newest pickups and SUVs from GM, you will see a "microphone" icon on the homepage of your Mylink. Selecting that will connect you to the voice commands of your PHONE, allowing access to Siri and the Android equivalent. Note that this is different from accessing the voice commands of your Mylink system. In one significant difference between Apple and Android from a functionality POV, Apple will not allow a secondary device to reply to a text, so while you are able to receive and read/see a text on Mylink, Apple will not allow you to reply to it through your Siri, although I guess you could just call them back... Android will allow you to not only read/hear the text, but to send limited canned responses through MyLink...

Hope that helps a bit, although you should all have gotten this explanation from your salesperson/Corvette specialist at time of pickup! Not from some frozen Canadian salesguy!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:28 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TOVetteFan
Ok, I will try to summarize this quickly and accurately...or at least accurately...

If you are plugged in by USB, it is accessing the phone on a 2 way connection, allowing info to both come and go from the phone, so you can control things like music on your phone with the voice commands in the Mylink system. If you are wirelessly connected by BT, it is a one way connection(phone to car), so you cannot use the voice commands to access music, etc on your phone with Mylink, although the phone will still share it's contact list and call history with Mylink, so that you can access that with voice commands.

With the C7, most new Cadillacs and the newest pickups and SUVs from GM, you will see a "microphone" icon on the homepage of your Mylink. Selecting that will connect you to the voice commands of your PHONE, allowing access to Siri and the Android equivalent. Note that this is different from accessing the voice commands of your Mylink system. In one significant difference between Apple and Android from a functionality POV, Apple will not allow a secondary device to reply to a text, so while you are able to receive and read/see a text on Mylink, Apple will not allow you to reply to it through your Siri, although I guess you could just call them back... Android will allow you to not only read/hear the text, but to send limited canned responses through MyLink...

Hope that helps a bit, although you should all have gotten this explanation from your salesperson/Corvette specialist at time of pickup! Not from some frozen Canadian salesguy!
Very interesting. I haven't tried this. I'm going to go to my car right now and try it.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

If you are plugged in by USB, it is accessing the phone on a 2 way connection, allowing info to both come and go from the phone, so you can control things like music on your phone with the voice commands in the Mylink system. I

With the C7, most new Cadillacs and the newest pickups and SUVs from GM, you will see a "microphone" icon on the homepage of your Mylink. Selecting that will connect you to the voice commands of your PHONE, allowing access to Siri and the Android equivalent. ... Android will allow you to not only read/hear the text, but to send limited canned responses through MyLink...
Very interesting, I will have to check this out.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

BTW, I did some simple tests with this and it worked great.

I haven't done anything with text messages yet, but I'm hoping to give it a try tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:09 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

From an email today:

https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/co...COUNTRY=US&g=1
Old 06-11-2014, 01:37 AM
saadooness
Advanced

OK, so I've made lots of cracks about Apple products, but honestly, maybe I was wrong and GM flat out doesn't care about anything but 30% of the market.

I have one of the best phones on the market (The HTC One) and it seems that it's somewhat incompatible with MyLink, even though it's a Bluetooth 4.0 device and seems compatible with everything else in the world.

While I'm able to stream music and make calls, I cannot sync my contacts. Doesn't matter what I do, MyLink doesn't recognize my phone's contacts at all. I looked through the OnStar app as well, and there's no way to do it from there either.

Please tell me there's a software update or something for my new $70K+ car that will allow me the simple function of knowing who's calling me or being able to call someone hands free.
i have an HTC one M8 hooked to my 14' C7 through bluetooth. No problems with contacts what so ever. it even loads the contact profile pics during outgoing an incoming calls. maybe try and updated your mylink software at your dealer? good luck.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:19 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by saadooness
i have an HTC one M8 hooked to my 14' C7 through bluetooth. No problems with contacts what so ever. it even loads the contact profile pics during outgoing an incoming calls. maybe try and updated your mylink software at your dealer? good luck.
Yep. Mine suddenly worked one day. I don't know why but it hasn't had any issues syncing contacts since. Weird, right? I also noticed other small quirks about the C7's infotainment system went away at the same time. I know they don't update the software over OnStar like that, so I have no clue what or why the issue happened.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:44 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

ODD, my MOTO RAZR HD works perfectly with my 2013 Volt and even displays album art unlike the C7 to include synching contacts and voice commands.

How is this not a GM/Chevy/Corvette problem.

I'll be pissed if my new Vette doesn't do exactly the same as our Volt.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Razr Maxx HD works great.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:25 AM
MisterMe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saadooness
Originally Posted by AFVETTE
ODD, my MOTO RAZR HD works perfectly with my 2013 Volt and even displays album art unlike the C7 to include synching contacts and voice commands.

How is this not a GM/Chevy/Corvette problem.

Here is the problem--some users report that their Android phones work just fine with MyLink while others are frustrated that their Android phones do not work. This is known issue and to be expected with Android. The OS is developed by Google but the hardware is developed by various and sundry manufacturers. These manufacturers provide various versions of Android with their devices. There is no guarantee that an app with works with one version on one device will work with another version of Android on a different device. What you are seeing is that this is true even in the case of two difference models from the same manufacturer.

GM cannot be responsible for maintaining compatibility with a third party's products if the third party does not maintain compatibility among its own products. For those who who refuse to be assimilated by the Borg [iPhone], you need to take matters into your own hands. Trade-in your Android phone that is incompatible with MyLink for one that is compatible.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM
gregb1812
Instructor

MOTOX connected and sync'd w/o any problems.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Apple sucks, just not their stock 😍. I wanted to try a Windows phone this time but chickened out and am going with Samsung Galaxy S 5

Get notified of new replies

To Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:06 PM
GreG L.
Advanced

This thread can be summed up in three lines.

IOS is maintained by Apple and Apple alone hence compatibility.

Androids sell more everywhere but compatibility between manufacturers is questionable.

HTC's connectivity sucks. We have 50+ phones (all android) and every HTC we have had has a problem with Bluetooth with one vehicle or another.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GreG L.
This thread can be summed up in three lines.

IOS is maintained by Apple and Apple alone hence compatibility.

Androids sell more everywhere but compatibility between manufacturers is questionable.

HTC's connectivity sucks. We have 50+ phones (all android) and every HTC we have had has a problem with Bluetooth with one vehicle or another.
This doesn't sum up anything at all. There were complaints about Apple phones having connectivity issues and compatibility issues.

Android compatibility with older phones is a crap-chute. Android compatibility with newer phone (Android 4.1+) is pretty good.

Nobody expects old phone (iOS or Android) to just work with everything. It's not just the manufacturer, but whether or not they stick to industry standards, like the Bluetooth standard protocols. (Which Apple does not.)

HTC phones are fine. Just because you've had issues doesn't mean everyone does. saadooness and I both have HTC phones with no issues with connectivity. I stream music to both my Corvette and my Spark without issue and I place/take calls in both cars no problem. I've had 3 HTC phones in a row and none of my devices have had connectivity issues.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM
mikebq
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default i phone

Originally Posted by Nate GM
Get an iPhone!! Problem solved

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is MyLink compatible with newer phones?